Employment (or the lack, thereof)

Started by Noelle, August 28, 2010, 12:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noelle

I know the job market has been hit pretty hard and it's difficult in many areas to find work. I'm looking to get out of what I do now, personally, but I feel pretty fortunate to have some degree of financial independence period given a lot of recent grads are kind of screwed at present. It doesn't seem to be too difficult to find a job where I live right now, but unfortunately a lot of it is in construction-type areas with little opportunity for creativity.

I was just curious to see the demographics as to the employment rate amongst members of E. Any comments are welcome.

Oniya

I work from home doing contract work.  It's never a full 40 hours a week (although I can get close when I'm working on the right reports), and I have no benefits to speak of, and sometimes the work dries up for a period.

Mr. Oniya is working full time at a local truck-stop fast-food joint, and is going to be working weekends at the Ohio Renfaire to get a little extra.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Brandon

I have a full time job working for the US government and no Im not going to tell you what I do. My schedule for work is a normal 9-5 every weekday job and I get paid on salary rather then by the hour. This means they can work me to the bone and I never get overtime :P

My current girlfriend works part time at the local grocery market but thats because they only have part time employees

Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Lady Annabelle

I work full time (M-F, 8-5) at a University where I do research and data work.  I'm only paid hourly, so I don't work as much as most full time employees.

My husband works at a banking office downtown where he is salary and works full time.  He usually works 50 hours a week, sometimes up to 60 hours a week during the busy time while I usually only work 40 hours a week.

My husband has intentions of staying with the company until he retires.  He loves it there and only wishes to get promoted.  For me, I have no inclination of job promotion as I like what I am doing.  I don't know how long I will be staying there though considering what might happen to us in the next few years.
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Kurzyk

I work full time days at a credit union with two classes a week, in the evenings, towards my degree program. The pay isn't as great as other financial institutions in the area but the experience far outweighs it. Not only do we do standard teller transactions, but also new accounts, investment, credit advising and lending. I'm currently training to be a loan officer which will be excellent experience in finance which is one of the majors I'm working towards.

I don't intend on staying at the credit union, or even in this part of the country after graduation. But with the cost of living cheap here, it's a nice place to get solid banking and lending experience, save/invest for a few years and graduate with a CPA license and finance experience.

Then i'll look at the country and consider a move elsewhere depending on opportunity and need.

Lypiphera

Just graduated, its pretty impossible to find work and most people I know are unemployed or only in part time work.

I myself have a part time menial job that does nothing with my degree but is better than sitting around doing nothing! Fingers crossed when I move to a bigger city they'll be a few more opportunities!

Starlequin

I dunno; there's something to be said for sitting around doing nothing. (Nothing positive, but it's something, anyway.) One thing I do know is I'm gonna miss sleeping from sunrise to sunset when I actually do find another job. Small-town life is cruel to nightowls, man.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Oniya

Quote from: Starlequin on August 30, 2010, 08:00:27 PM
I dunno; there's something to be said for sitting around doing nothing. (Nothing positive, but it's something, anyway.) One thing I do know is I'm gonna miss sleeping from sunrise to sunset when I actually do find another job. Small-town life is cruel to nightowls, man.

You mean there's no truckstop or Blank-Mart nearby that needs third-shifters? 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Starlequin

Quote from: Oniya on August 30, 2010, 08:07:11 PM
You mean there's no truckstop or Blank-Mart nearby that needs third-shifters?

Ha! Are you kiddin'? Every town for 50 miles in any direction rolls up the sidewalks after 8 pm. A truckstop would be a veritable shrine of high culture. And X-Mart won't hire me back for at least another year yet. You put up a few harmless cartoons of the managers in the breakroom and all of a sudden you're marked for life. Go figure, huh?
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Hunter

I'm unemployed.   In truth, I haven't been able to keep steady employment in nearly ten years.  Currently, I'm waiting on SSDI.

Silverfyre

I'm a freelance writer and gaming publisher, but the work is trickling to a stop with the way the economy has been and the lack of interest in pen and paper roleplaying games.  It's all .pdf now, which is fortunate for smaller companies like mine since it's little to no overhead, but that means a lot less in profits too. 

I'm also a graduate student with a part time job substitute teaching. 

AllieCat

Full time job, but with making up time after ill ness, it feels like a more than full time job :P