Search has been restored.

Started by Vekseid, August 31, 2013, 04:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

For those not familiar, we use a program called Sphinx Search (currently running on the slave) as our search daemon. This is a powerful little application that essentially becomes the only option for searching major forums like this.

In not-too-technical speak, Sphinx works by sacrificing freshness of results for performance. As before, it runs on the slave server, because reindexing hits the disk rather hard.

The base index gets reindexed at 3:40 AM/PM US Central time. Thus, it may take up to twelve hours for a post edit to get reflected in the search.

The delta index gets reindexed every five minutes. Thus, it may take up to five minutes for a new post to be seen.

If the above aren't working for an extended period (posts not showing up after more than a day at most), something is possibly very wrong - please let me know. If it goes on for too long, I'll need to shutdown Elliquiy and Blue Moon for a couple of hours in order to fix it. We don't want that : (

Feature note: Using the search function up top while within a board or thread will search only within said board or thread. If you're in a thread and want to search the whole forums, use the search button. Conversely, if you want to search a specific board or thread, the fastest way is to just go to said board/thread and use the search box. : )

In completely unrelated news, we're 19 million words from having written one billion words (of two letters or more).

Neroon

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

Dovel

Thank you Veks for all the hard work you have put into this and everything else.

QuoteIn completely unrelated news, we're 19 million words from having written one billion words (of two letters or more).

That is quite a lot of words.
Now we live, tomorrow not
Enjoy your pleasures, lest they rot
Let not them pass this very day
For on the morrow regret may with you stay

Stella

RedPhoenix

Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Ember Star

dang it! You mean all my I's don't count? *shakes fist* LOL.  Thanks for the search function! Sounds handy!
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Formless

ObscureObscenities

As always thanks for your work Veks!

jouzinka

Oooooooh, thank you for this much awesomeness! :-*
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Kye

Blythe

Yay, search is restored! It will be wonderful to have access now to the search function on a forum of this size. Thank you, Veks! ;D

realisticwordweaver

Freaking Awesome. Thank you  :-)

Oreo

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Falanor