RNG

Started by Maric, March 27, 2010, 04:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maric

Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.  As a result of this physical law, the increasing size of libraries in the late 19th century resulted in distortions in time-space to gather around them.  People walking into libraries often find that time inexplicably seems to pass faster or slower.  This is because time is actually slowing down or speeding up, due to the warp in space-time caused by libraries.  It was discovered by Albert Einstein that objects with large gravitational pull, like the Earth, cause bowls in the fabric of space-time.  Because libraries contained sufficient knowledge and, thus, sufficient mass to bend space-time, they created their own, smaller bowls within the Earth's bowl, which makes them exceptionally difficult to leave and very easy to be sucked into.

Although the exact nature of the problem wasn't known at the time, several scientists had observed that libraries had a sort of gravitational pull to them, and in the 19th century they developed the first Electronic Gravity Abortion Device.  These devices sealed off the top of the bowls created by the libraries, so that people could walk near them without feeling the gravitational pull.  Further, easy transfer from the libraries bowl to Earth's was easily available through various EGAD Systems, so that being trapped behind the barrier generated by the EGAD was not an issue.  These devices devoured electricity all day-long at an alarming rate, they were extremely expensive, and very, very noisy, but it was the only solution they had.

Then, in 1947, Thomas T. Goldsmith, Jr. and Estle Ray Mann developed a new device, using nuclear technology, the Gravity Abortion Mechanical Escutcheon, which was quieter, more energy efficient, and smaller.  This invention came just in time, as it was soon discovered that Data=Knowledge, and that computers would thus soon pose a threat to rival that of libraries in terms of gravitational pull.  Through the 50s and 60s, it was discovered that the radiation caused by the GAMEs caused life within the pocket-dimensions created by the sealed off bowls caused by computers to transform into strange new forms, instead of simply mirroring the surface world.  Observed dimensions contained very simple life forms at first, and were given names like Mouse in the Machine and HAX.

It was in 1962 that Steve Russel created the Spacewar! GAME.  This GAME was the first to have observed life forms fighting one another for a resource called, for lack of a better term, "points."  Later GAMEs became more advanced, with access to more points, and a corporation called Magnavox discovered that these points could be converted into real world resources using GAME Consoles.  They developed the Odyssey-GAME and began to colonize various GAME worlds with it.  Atari soon saw the profits to be had by conquering cyberspace and started their own GAME colonies.  This was the beginning of what would eventually become known as the Console Wars.

The year is now 1995.  Ever since Nintendo saved the world from the hordes of Inferspace (commonly known as Hell) in 1984, no one has been able to challenge their dominance of Cyberspace.  Recently, Sony has entered the market with a powerful new Playstation-GAME System, however Nintendo's N64-GAME System remains dominant.  The real loser of the war would be Sega, whose Dreamcast-GAME System proves ultimately incapable of holding their GAMEs from invasions from Nintendo and Sony.  However, even as the three war for dominance, a new power prepares to enter the scene...

Microsoft lacks any GAME system to make proper invasions with, however they have developed a new technology that will link one computer to another, which will also link the respective GAMEs together.  Slowly, they've built the infrastructure necessary to link the computers of the world together, using a technology called Internet Explorer.  This network, called the Internet, will allow Microsoft to move troops from one end of cyberspace to another with alarming speed.  Although their own cyber empire is incredibly small, this new edge will allow them to expand.  Further, no one will want to give up the advantages of the internet, and thus no one will dare break alliance with Microsoft.

It was a perfect plan.  Until everything went wrong.

For unknown reasons, Microsoft HQ's automatic security system has gone insane, locking the building down.  Further, all Microsoft GAMEs have been shut down (both of them), and access to them has been shut down, turning Microsoft HQ into an impenetrable fortress controlled by an unknown entity.

Fortunately, Microsoft was prepared for this.

Microsoft, like most cyber corporations and many governments, employs a contingent of Gravity Abortion Mechanical Escutcheon Rangers (GAMERs for short), a group of people trained from birth to counter threats within GAME worlds, and while their amazing powers do not carry over into the real world, their experience in high-stress, life-and-death situations does.  They're the only hope those trapped inside Microsoft HQ has now.  The GAMERs will enter into Cyberspace from one of the GAMEs not yet hooked up to the Internet.  The GAME will then be connected to the Internet, and the GAMERs will be able to move from their GAME, through the Internet, and into Microsoft Space Simulator.  From there, they'll be able to upload themselves back into the real world inside Microsoft HQ, find out what's going on, and put a stop to it.

So, do you have what it takes to be a GAMER?

SnakeSong

Okay, you have me hooked. Most people would laugh when they read the intro, for it is long and drawn out... but I want to RP it, so the real question is... do you???
~Snake

pendarious

i have to say i was laughing as i read this....but it is an interesting concept.
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

SnakeSong

It is interesting, I really wish Maric would answer.
~Snake

Maric

Alright.  Unfortunately, in the three month interim between posting this and my first response, I went inactive, but now I'm back and considering trying this again.  Is anyone still interested?

N2O

Hello Maric,

TLDR (u_u ) j/k :P To say I am interested would be one of the biggest understatement of the year.

Wannabe GAMER,

N2O

Motivation is what gets you started.  Habit is what keeps you going. 

She had a job and that was her motivation. Akiola was in the habit of checking her totem immediately after her eyes blinked open, her consciousness slowly awakening into whatever environment she found herself in. It kept her going. Being a Ranger for as long as she had sometimes made discerning the real world from that of the virtual very difficult. She held her hand up to look down at her huge locket ring, so thick was it that it seemed to eat up her entire index finger. Opening up her ring, Akiola manages to hold off the uncertainty thats been bubbling up in her gut. She stares at the compass inside, its needle spinning indefinitely...continuously pointing in all directions... perpetually moving...round...and around and around...

SNAP!

She quickly closes it shut then breaks off into a run. Pulling out her equipped weapon of choice, she puts her game face on. Welcome to another day at the office babe.

Maric

Oh, wonderful!  Pendarious is still active, though it was nearly a year ago he posted to this thread.  I wonder if he still finds the idea interesting?

pendarious

*falls in out of nowhere* wow.......it's alive?
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?

Maric

Apparently.  I made this so long ago I can't even remember the details of my original plans for it, but fortunately they were easy enough to replace.

Although...

I'll be honest, I'm not actually sure where to go from here.

N2O

Might I offer the following suggestions as to where to go from here:

• we need to decide the number of GAMERs we are going to have (I recommend a party of 3 or 4) and then who is going to RP those Rangers (I'd very much like to RP a female GAMER cough Akiolacough ::))
  • we need to decide who the people trapped in MS's HQ and develop stories/scenarios for each of them; a different set of people could RP these guys or not
  • with each rescue, a little something is revealed about that unknown entity thats the root of all our problems
  • in addition to playing hero in the GAME worlds, our GAMERs have to deal their own hassles in the real world (each GAMER although such a badass in the GAME world could suffer some flaw in the real world that may or may not carry over into the GAME world. Romantic interests is another real world vs. GAME world plot line to explore)

Quote from: Maric on March 27, 2010, 04:04:22 PM
So, do you have what it takes to be a GAMER?

Maric

Right now I think we're looking at a party size of three.  Two main characters by you and Pendarious, and one minor character I'll be playing as well (since I already know the mystery, I don't want to give myself a big role, basically just a sidekick character).  I'm also not sure how the Cyberspace/Realspace contrast could play out.  It's a great idea, but the mission involves you entering Cyberspace in the first post, jumping out if Cyberspace and into the Microsoft HQ at the start of Act III, and then when you get out of MS HQ, it's pretty much over.  Just the conclusion is left.  Although this was intended to be the first of several sort of episodic GAMER RPs, and it wouldn't be hard to keep the same characters throughout (just as it wouldn't be hard to change the characters completely, which was the point of making it episodic).

pendarious

If you do actually make this an episodic rp and continue it  you can count on me to keep coming back *laughs* i like long running games especially if they have the possiblity of being episodic and i can re-use and create new characters depending on my mood *laughs again*

N2O

Like Pendarious, I'm in it for the long haul. I really like the potential I see in this RP.

Maric

Y'know, I was thinking about this, and the more I thought about it the more I thought it might be interesting to have some kind of system behind this game, with different skill levels for different kinds of game, and maybe-

No, no, bugger all, no.  Not again.  I haven't even finished making the last one yet.  Maybe next time.

Anyways, I put up an OOC thread here.