Quick dungeon crawl

Started by sexhaver, March 25, 2012, 11:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sexhaver

While I wait to see if I get approved or not, I might as well start roleplaying in some capacity on this section. What I have in mind is a very simple assault on a kobold's den, or goblin cave, or something similar, with the goal as simple as rescuing a prisoner, or recovering an important item they stole. I'll run the monsters, and possibly one or more npc heroes if needed, depending on how many players I get.

I'd like to use Pathfinder RPG, but we need not actually stick to the rules - up to the people who play it. But the idea is to have the skill sets and power level of level 1 characters. The thing I want to focus on most is the interaction of comrades in a situation that threatens their lives. Thus, I will be merciless with the killing power of traps and ambushes.

So is anyone else in the same situation as me and interested in such a game?

Xenolord

This actually strikes me as interesting. Dungeon-Crawling like RP's are always about character development. One about character interactions sound like a nice change! Lemme know when things develop more.

sexhaver

Does that mean you want to play? Or you're waiting to see who else wants to play first? Or did you want me to specify more details about the scenario?

Xenolord

I'm interested, that's for sure. Give me a couple more details, and I'll be able to tell you if it's something I could sit down to.

sexhaver

Eagle's Head Keep was once a struggling barony overlooking a valley of sparse vegetation that served little more than a useful trade route between cities, from which its lord could extract tolls to keep himself living a comfortable lifestyle. The sudden outbreak of undead 50 years ago made the valley pass impractical for merchants to travel, and bankrupted the Baron of Eagle's Head. The Baron was later hanged for worshiping Satan in an attempt to reverse his fortunes. The land was never reclaimed, for it had become infested with undead creatures that had spread outwards from the nearby haunted forest of Netherwood. Over the last five years, actions by the king's knights and clerics to control the undead threat have diminished their numbers, confining them mostly to the heart of Netherwood, and the keep's ruins have instead been inhabited by kobolds, those crafty little dragonkin who tend to occupy just about every underground dwelling the race of men leaves unattended. This has not really been a big deal thus far, since the land remains haunted and therefore undesirable in the eyes of civilized people. But recently, it became somewhat of an issue when you and some other individuals skilled in the arts of combat and dungeon delving were gathered up by a dodgy young aristocrat by the name of William Lockheed.

It seems the young nobleman has lost a few items of value, some magical, while he was staying in the nearby city of Alsser, stolen first by thieves living in the nearby village of Greywood, and then raided from that village by an organized band of kobolds coming out of Eagle's Head. It seems that the presence of magic items in Greywood was somehow detected or foreseen by the kobolds, and provided the impetus for them to raid the village and steal them, killing a few villagers in the process. The young Sir Lockheed surely can't return home to his father having lost certain heirlooms, not to mention indirectly causing the deaths of some villagers. He is especially embarrassed about the nature of the original thefts, which he will not divulge, and would hate to have to beg his father for help, and be forced to admit his pathetic situation, so he has hired a rag tag band of struggling warriors to help him break into Eagle's Head and steal back his property.

The townsfolk estimate 30 to 40 kobolds living in that keep, and a scattering of zombies wandering aimlessly in the valley outside its perimeter. The race of kobolds are well known for their stubborn refusal to submit under the thumb of human superiority, instead filling their lairs with traps and ambush points that routinely frustrate intruders and sap their morale. The undead, on the other hand, are well known for being easy to outwit but difficult in large numbers, for they feel no pain and no fear, and will not stop until physically destroyed. The keep itself sits atop a hill next to the valley pass. Its walls have decayed considerably with time and disrepair, so that large gaps exist scattered about, that have recently been trapped and barricaded by the occupying kobolds. To get in should be simple, if you can avoid detection on your approach. But unfortunately knowledge of the layout of the dungeon below ground was lost when the Baron of Eagle's Head died, and may have been modified anyways by the kobolds, so you'll have to figure out where to go once you're inside, by your own wits and intuition.

I will be playing the young Sir Lockheed as an npc who insists on coming along so that he may identify the items that are his and prevent the lot of you from running off with them. He is not bad with a sword, but certainly prefers to lead from the rear, allowing the more expendable common people such as yourselves to go into danger first and take the greater risk. What is he paying you for, after all?

Xenolord

I'll join! I like these kinds of stories! Give me\us some kind of character sheet and system to work off of, and you've got a party (At least me, anyways.)

sexhaver

Pathfinder, 1st level. Standard rules. What is it, like 20 point buy or something is normal? There's an online SRD, open to the public, if you don't have the book, at www.d20pfsrd.com.

Also, it seems my account is on-hold now, so I may or may not drop out suddenly if I lose interest in this place.

sexhaver

Nobody else, then? There's gonna be a kobold sex dungeon and everything. You see they have these custom tables with holes in them to lock up their tails underneath while the wrists and ankles are shackled to the sides...

iridum248

Haha, it does sound interesting.

I'm surprised this is in 'non-adult', though - I have a 'thing' for close-to-humanoid creatures like goblins, though kobolds are probably too far off the scale.

sexhaver

There won't be any explicit sex, only hints at it. It can certainly take place, sure as there are still two genders of humans, but no mention will be made of penises going into vaginas, or whatever constitutes adult material here. That's how I plan to get around the rules.

I imagine female kobolds to have cloacas between their legs, like turtles and frogs. Given their long reptile jaws, I expect they'd also be big into soft biting on each other's necks as a show of dominance. The females lay their eggs shortly after insemination, to be kept in a communal nursery, so they are free to work and fight alongside the males as long as they have the strength to hold weapons or tools. When the kobolds moved into the tower ruins, someone stumbled upon a secret passage that lead to a cluster of secluded cells full of shackles and chains, cabinets full of whips and the like. The tribe's shaman made that zone into his private quarters and unholy altar, and from time to time takes one of the elite female warriors down there for an hour or two. What they do down there, some have tried to guess, but none have spoken aloud.

On the other hand, most kobolds would feel rather sickened by the prospect of prolonged contact with any of the playable races, considering all the grease that oozes from the skin of all primates, and how filthy their hair tends to get if it isn't washed and combed or cut regularly. Kobolds are a very clean species, and they consider humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, orcs, and goblinoids to all be different forms of "greasy apes". That said, they are in the habit of farming dire rats for food, and they feed the rats with the twitching rotting remains of wild zombies they trap and dismember, so they can't really claim the moral high ground in absolute terms.

Frank Reshman

I'll join in.  Lemme get a character made up.  Is this still a thing that's happening?

*crosses fingers*

sexhaver

It is if I have more than one player. Not sure if XenoLord up above is still in.