Deviations - The Reorganization (Large Group, Superhuman, Semi-freeform)

Started by RampantDesires, March 26, 2014, 05:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derwaysh

And I, methinks, am gone astray
In trackless wastes and lone.

Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name! | A peek is worth a thousand words!

A/A

Finals Week: Posting delays of up to 1 week/10 days

Swordsman18

Character:

Name: Killian Trion
Ethnicity: African American
Sex: Male
Relationship Status: Single
Previous (Or current) Profession: Ex-Navy Seal

Appearance:

Hair: Black
Eyes: Brown
Skin: Dark Brown
Weight: 180lbs
Height: 6ft 2in
Other: There is a series of long scars on his back and chest from shrapnel he encountered in combat. They range from small scars to long cuts to just dots along his ebony colored skin.

Information:

Personality: Killian thinks of himself as a good guy, as a person that feels like he is responsible for too many things. Yet it is this trait that he feels makes him a good soldier as well as a good leader. He has seen combat, strife, and personal hardship from several angles. This makes him very understanding to other people's positions. Yet, this is also a fault as he may over think things along with taking people's failures, especially under his command, as his own.

Background: [Three good paragraphs] Killian was born in a bad part of Los Angeles, learning about gang life from when he could barely walk. Both of his parents worked long hours to allow him to go to school and get an education. Yet still, he ended up getting jumped into a gang at 13. For a long time, all he did for them was transport things and occasionally rough up some rival gang members. But his cousin, who happened to be in a leadership position in the gang did not see it fit to make him live up to the Killer nickname he had been given. Instead, he felt Killian needed to learn how much of a family his fellows were before he ultimately needed to kill for them. Killian grew to see his gang as his family after he felt abandoned by his parents.

Yet, when he finally did kill for the gang at 16, he got caught for stealing just a few blocks away. Killian had a slight record but nothing of such an extreme. The police asked him to rat out his gang, but he refused. Juvenile hall was his home for two years released back onto the streets that had put him there. After getting no support from his gang and his parents having been there for him through the whole ordeal, he knew bad choices were made. At the recommendation from his father, he entered into the Navy.

The Navy is no real easy place, nor was it supposed to be.  Killian before he went into the Navy had not been the most disciplined person, yet through it he learned to be a better more disciplined man. Eventually, he got dropped into combat where he found it much easier to kill for not just his brothers in arms, but his country. Yet, it left a sour taste in his mouth. Killian never paid for the life he took for the gang. To think he put someone down who did not deserve it. Those he killed fought with the intent to kill him, yet she never really saw it coming until the moment the trigger got pulled. Killing never became pleasurable for him. It became something he did to keep people safe. To protect people like the one he killed in cold blood.

After a decade of war, his heart became hardened his mind every more sharp than when he became a SEAL. Now he lead his own squad, tracking down and eliminating the country's issues before they became crises. Yet a mission came around in a hot zone. Killain and his squad engaged the hostiles in their building going fast and quietly as they could. About halfway through the sweep, Killian and crew came upon a room where a man stood holding a woman with a grenade in his hand. Just as he saw them, the hostile popped the grenade. Hoping to save his squad and the woman, he ran at the two. One of the riflemen in his squad already popped a shot in between the hostile's eyes, the rest for Killian was whited out.

Next thing he remembered was awakening in a hospital bed surrounded by his men. Not too long after that, he got honorably discharged being awarded a couple medals to boot. Coming home, he had a long road of recovery to go through both psychological and physical. Even now, he still awakes in the middle of the night in a cold sweat still thinking he is in that room with the grenade.

Symptoms:
Portal Generation: SL - 1 - The deviation is able to summon a "portable" black hole roughly the size of a softball in diameter. The weight stored within may not exceed 25 lbs. Items are "called" with thought, and appear in hand to be removed.

Hobbies and Interests:

Militaristic Discipline: Killian does all he can to maintain his regiment of exercise, gun training and diet. Not that he is worried about being redeployed, yet he feels this keeps him from falling into the darker corners of his mind.

Reading: He commonly reads all sorts of fiction, ranging from novels to comics. Not having duties to do, he likes to take his time acquiring knowledge when he is not at work.

Other Info

Post-Traumatic Syndrome still effects him at times where a loud noise or too fast of a movement in a strange place could cause a violent or militaristic reaction. He still is quite anxious about ever turning his back to new people.

The grenade did extensive damage to his torso that is not completely repaired, so there is occasional muscle weakness even given his very muscular physique. Many of his scars are sensitive to the touch where the tissue is weaker than the areas surrounding it. Yet for the most part he has not dealt with them opening up.

OOC Ons and Offs:

Same as writer's which are linked in signature. If you have a question please ask.

RampantDesires

Thank you kindly for those small edits.  Try not to cause TOO much trouble your first week :p Please move him to the Active Character thread and get to chattin' up the group!

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Swordsman18

Question for my back up sheet, is it possible that a person could not realize the full reaching capabilities of their symptom? Like a person that has Hydrokinesis but instead of pulling moisture out of the air or using water, they use their own blood instead. I have no issues playing out the issues of exsanguination due to the over use of the ability.

I also wonder what the exposure to the blood would have on others the blood is used on.

RampantDesires

Essentially the only way to get abilities in the game is to have had that contaminated flu shot.  There is no secondary infection of any kind caused by exposure to the blood of a Deviation.  I would be willing the at least entertain the thought of someone with Heightened Intelligence SL - 4 - Character is now prone to random tech advancement ideas (within reason) or
SL - 5 - Character may now craft/modify complex equipment (within reason) working on a way to grant small abilities with their or other character's blood, focusing on biological modifications instead of technological ones, but it would have to be discussed heavily and would likely be more flavorful than game changing.

You could limit your character to only using their own blood instead of the wider 'water' group, but there would be no real benefit to doing so and it would just be an RP point.  So sure.

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

ebpohmr

Its so tempting to make a character for this game - but I have no idea how to choose what 'strain' of infection to start with. So many good choices! :p

RockSalt

Quote from: ebpohmr on April 19, 2014, 06:13:03 PM
Its so tempting to make a character for this game - but I have no idea how to choose what 'strain' of infection to start with. So many good choices! :p
You can always roll the dice if you're stuck! That's how you get new ones once the game's started anyways! Also, I find it's good to either pick a power that matches the character's theme/personality (feisty fighter gets super strength or fire manipulation) or go the complete opposite (tough bruiser gets empathy or animal affinity or something) pretty much anything can be made to work though!

RampantDesires

I am quite understandably biased, but I think that making a character for this game would be a great idea! :D

Please feel free to ask questions and the like here, or my inbox is always open and yahoo is always an option.  Regardless of your decision I hope you have a great weekend n'all that.

ebpohmr

Quote from: RockSalt on April 19, 2014, 07:12:33 PM
You can always roll the dice if you're stuck! That's how you get new ones once the game's started anyways! Also, I find it's good to either pick a power that matches the character's theme/personality (feisty fighter gets super strength or fire manipulation) or go the complete opposite (tough bruiser gets empathy or animal affinity or something) pretty much anything can be made to work though!

Thanks for the advice! I might just resort to dice rolling. My approach to these sorts of games is to start with the powers/core abilities, then figure out the kind of character I would want to play who would fit in with them. Then I expand from there. ;)

Quote from: RampantDesires on April 19, 2014, 07:13:56 PM
I am quite understandably biased, but I think that making a character for this game would be a great idea! :D

Please feel free to ask questions and the like here, or my inbox is always open and yahoo is always an option.  Regardless of your decision I hope you have a great weekend n'all that.

Cheers Rampant! I may very well add you on YIM. ;)

RampantDesires

The problem with building a character around your starting power is that you may never upgrade that power again depending on how the dice gods favor you.  Granted statistically you are far more likely to upgrade your first power at least a few times, but I've seen it happen.  One of Dancing Flower's characters has four abilities all still at SL1.

ebpohmr

Yeah, I noticed that possibility. The real problem I have is having too many concepts for 'ordinary' characters it would be fun to play. ;)

RockSalt

You can actually also play a normal citizen! You don't have to have powers at all if you don't want!

RampantDesires

Actually all PCs are Deviations, you don't have to NOTICE your power, but you do have to have one O.o

ebpohmr

Quote from: RampantDesires on April 19, 2014, 07:56:23 PM
Actually all PCs are Deviations, you don't have to NOTICE your power, but you do have to have one O.o

Hmm, that could be interesting, especially with some of the less obvious powers. Maybe a lawyer, or similar sort of person used to hiding the truth behind a public facade...

RockSalt

Quote from: RampantDesires on April 19, 2014, 07:56:23 PM
My bad Rampant, I mixed Deviations up with another superpowered group rp I had been reading around the same time I joined  :-[

RampantDesires

No worries.  I appreciate it when you guys pop in here and answer questions and welcome people!

Temporary Restriction - Strong military/police backgrounds.  We now have at least five characters, most of them newer, in the game who have this and until things settle down a bit more this temporary restriction will remain in place. 

I'm not sure about starting power restrictions as I need to update my chart, but I'll pop back in if there are any...

Current Male/Female ratio = 19/21 my OCD side likes the almost perfect balance and there are still as per the usual no gender restrictions.  Also note that this count is largely just for my bookkeeping side as we have a mix of sexualities in play. 

ebpohmr

Progress is slow, but I'm still working on a concept! *nods* And it most certainly doesn't involve a law enforcement or military background. ;)

RampantDesires

Yay, no rush we are a patient bunch :)

Turns out there IS a power restriction.

• Avian Shapeshifting

Powers that no one has:

• Force Field Generation
  • Gravity Manipulation
  • Wind Manipulation
  • Reptile Manipulation
  • Avian Manipulation

Symptoms with a lot of activity but that aren't yet closed....
  • Telepathy - 4
  • Portal Generation - 3
  • Strength, Endurance, Reflexes - 3
  • Shapeshifting: Insect and Reptilian - 3

Breakdown of Current Symptoms

Omnilinguistics   2
Telekinesis   2
Telepathy   4
Heightened Intelligence   2
Forcefield Generation   0
Induced Healing   2
Illusion Casting   2
Psychrometry    1
Dousing   1

Regeneration   1
Speed   2
Strength   3
Endurance   3
Reflexes   3
Vocals   1
Invisibility   1

Earth           1
Fire           1
Water   2
Electricity   1
Gravity   0
Light     1
Dark           1
Frost    1
Transmutation   1
Wind           0

Flight, Wingless   1
Flight, Winged   1
Phase Shift    1
Teleportation   1
Portal Generation   3

Shapeshifting   
~Mammal   2
~Insect   3
~Reptilian   3
~Avian   5
~Fish   1

Nature Manipulation   
~Mammal   2
~Insect   1
~Reptile   0
~Avian   0
~Flora&Fauna   2

ebpohmr

I'm so going with gravity manipulation. Because, you know, I want his symptom to weigh on him...

RampantDesires

*groans at the terribleness of that pun*

It -is- a pretty cool ability though and I look forward to seeing what you do with it :)

ebpohmr

Well, a CS is winging its way to you via PM Rampant! Let me know what needs changing!

RampantDesires

With ebpohmr and his lovely new gent that brings us to a Male/Female Ratio of 20/21 and I am positively giddy with this small influx of new characters. While it is not a bad thing, eight of our last ten characters have been male, and while that brings my numbers kind of nicely in line it makes me wonder if I'm doing something to alienate those who enjoy playing female characters.  I really don't NEED that ratio to be balanced, it just makes my lists look prettier.  Anyone is welcome and encouraged to join!

Keldia

=) I've heard good - no, great - things about Deviations so here's me finally tossing my hat into the ring! I look forward to getting a character sheet over to you ASAP Rampant and also getting to write with all you talented people!
Ons/Offs (Coming Soon!) | Storytelling Annex | Absences & Apologies | Post Tracker
Current Response Rate: Playing Catch Up! [~7 Days]

Batman4560

RampantDesires

Awesome sauce :) I look forward to seeing your character Keldia and to writing with you more!