Vampire: The Masquerade introduction

Started by Nyx NightBird, March 14, 2019, 09:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nyx NightBird

Hello everyone!

I recently found the "Vampire: The Masquerade - L.A. By Night" show on YouTube by chance. I'm really intrigued by it and now I'd love to play it myself.

So I'm looking for someone who could and would introduce me to the system and show me how everything works.
I'm new to system roleplaying but I really want to give this a shot.

If you're willing to teach me how to play Vampire: The Masquerade please send me a pm or leave a reply here.

Thank you so much!

~Nyx

Blythe

I've recently started watching LA by Night in the past couple of days--I do own the 5th edition of VtM that they are using. Would be willing to teach if you're willing to learn--I'm still adjusting to learning how to ST for it, but I've had a bit of practice at it thanks to a 1x1 I've been writing on the forums with someone. Could ST a small 1x1 game for you so you could learn, or I'd be willing to potentially run a small 3 -4 player group game if we found enough people interested in 5th edition. I wouldn't set it in LA (don't wanna risk conflicting with the show; I haven't seen it all yet!), but something set on the East Coast could be fun. If you're interested, let me know. ^^

Love And Submission

I'm also interested in playing 5E so I'm in if the game gets started.

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Endorphin

Quote from: Bly on March 16, 2019, 02:06:15 PM
I've recently started watching LA by Night in the past couple of days--I do own the 5th edition of VtM that they are using. Would be willing to teach if you're willing to learn--I'm still adjusting to learning how to ST for it, but I've had a bit of practice at it thanks to a 1x1 I've been writing on the forums with someone. Could ST a small 1x1 game for you so you could learn, or I'd be willing to potentially run a small 3 -4 player group game if we found enough people interested in 5th edition. I wouldn't set it in LA (don't wanna risk conflicting with the show; I haven't seen it all yet!), but something set on the East Coast could be fun. If you're interested, let me know. ^^

I also like this idea. I've been discussing the prospect of a storyline with Nyx over the past couple of days as well as another completely separate idea with a couple of other members (who I will now refer to this thread). I can see that there is definitely a lot of interest in this system and it seems there is an opportunity here. Like you, I've only recently managed to get my hands on the V5 rules - which really are presented in such a luxurious, wonderfully indulgent way - and I'm open to all ideas and would be very interested in a storyline/game. I'd be more than happy to Co-ST or play in such a game.

As a side note, I've been playing with the Platinum theme lately and I'm thinking I should put together something of a Vampire theme next. I feel a lot more encouraged to do so now!
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

Blythe

Would you be more interested in playing or being a co-ST, Endorphin? If the former, I'd love for any interested players (including you) to chime in with any East Coast cities y'all might be intrigued in RPing vampires in and if you have a preferred Sect (Camarilla or Anarch). If you'd like to co-ST with me, I should probably PM you again and talk shop about how we'd construct a group game together! :)

Quote from: Endorphin on March 16, 2019, 07:24:39 PM
As a side note, I've been playing with the Platinum theme lately and I'm thinking I should put together something of a Vampire theme next. I feel a lot more encouraged to do so now!

...I would use the heck out of this. It'd compete with your Platinum theme for my favorite theme. <_<

Endorphin

Well, my initial intention was to run an introductory scenario where the main protagonist(s) awaken to find that they’ve been embraced and must then go about finding their way – hunting, feeding, finding shelter, surviving, etc. It is designed to be much more of a small-scale, personal experience than the plethora of politics which usually come into focus and would be ideal for a first foray into the system. However, as I've been busy playing around with themes in my spare time, I haven't read through the book just yet or formulated much of a plan! :P

Now, it seems that there are multiple prospective players and that your concept would be far more appropriate for a coterie… and I can also see the planning involved in bringing such a rich world to (un)life! That makes co-STing an interesting prospect but also a little troublesome. So, if you have an idea for a storyline that would be suitable, I would suggest that would be the best way to go.

Quote from: Bly on March 16, 2019, 07:40:03 PM
...I would use the heck out of this. It'd compete with your Platinum theme for my favorite theme. <_<

You can consider this done! I’ve actually spent the morning ironing out a couple minor issues with the way some of the text is rendered on the Platinum theme and I’d love to craft something for the discerning vampire! Looks like poor ol' Veks will see a few more PMs from me.

Thanks for the awesome feedback, btw.
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

Blythe

Well, my first thought since we will have folks newer to the system was to start a bit small. A coterie that has a domain they need to protect--a large apartment complex, which gives a lot of room for mysterious tenants, ways to easily get new contacts since there could be a variety of mortals in such places, ways for enemies to try to slip into their domain (hey, there's always an empty apartment to rent in a big city!), that sort of thing. Perhaps they are very new to the Embrace and have had their right to the domain acknowledged as a sort of 'trial run.' Meaning whoever is in charge may even choose to test them from time to time. And the rich fabric of their mortal lives could still be in play, making the Masquerade both a great necessity and very hard to maintain if any of them still have friends/family in the apartment complex. Depending on what Sect the coterie is a part of, distancing themselves from their families/friends may be a major plot point.

The first storyline to get everyone situated would involve figuring out who a mysterious stranger is in a new apartment in the building who always seems to be near at least one member of the coterie lately taking pictures...

(Of course, the tale can grow into a deeper & more intricate exploration of Kindred politics, powers, and personal horror as it goes along; I just like to start a bit small when possible)

For cities, my personal preferences for a fun setting would be:
- Richmond, Virginia
- Charleston, South Carolina
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Boston, Massachusetts

I don't have a personal preference myself between the Camarilla or the Anarchs, though I think the Camarilla poses some really fascinating restrictions given how strict they are about not using tech for Kindred-based communications. (Just to mention: I only own the V5 corebook--I won't draw on the released Camarilla or Anarch sourcebooks since those got pulled--waiting to see if newer versions get released later <_< )

That being said, I'm also open to your more personal scenario if you prefer to ST; I'd certainly love a chance to be a player in something. I very rarely get to be a player in VtM games. :)

Nyx NightBird

I very much like the idea of the two of you STing together or either one of you STing.

As for the city, I don't have a preference, since I live in Europe I'm not familiar with the cities, so I'll just go along :)

With regard to the sect, I might be kind of biased by L.A. By Night (I'm trying to catch up with season 2 at the moment) as it is how I got to know V:tM, so I'd prefer the anarchs.

I'm currently putting together a character with Endorphin's help for this first game. If you want to I can send you the information I already have on her. ^^

I'm really looking forward to playing this game with the two of you and everyone else who joins!

Endorphin

Bly, I think the idea you have for the chronicle is pretty solid and it sounds like a storyline I would be interested to play in. I'm with Nyx in thinking that the Anarchs sounds like the more appealing of the two as they're a bit more dynamic and less constrained by social expectations. The cities all have equal appeal, as I'm from Australia and don't have a huge amount of exposure outside of New York, LA and occasionally Miami in movies etc. I think it really depends mostly on the kind of style you personally wanted to convey.

The idea I have is a bit more niche, so I'd aim for a solo or pair with that.

Shores

I would really love to learn the system too! I got intrigued by it from watching the show on Critical Role so I joined a few servers which plays it, but it's so big, I'm not sure where to start. I feel the same way I felt when I learnt how to play DnD, which is very recently. Would really love someone to teach me. Doesn't even have to be a long-term thing. I just want to get a feel for how to set up a character, and roll, and so on.

Blythe

Hi Shores, and welcome! Nyx, Shores, and Endorphin, I think with the three of you we definitely have enough for a beginner V5 group. (Love & Submission, you are also welcome to join if you would like. Four players is a nice starting number for a small group game!) I'll work on a small OOC thread that will have some worldbuilding and character creation information, and I'll link it to you all when it's up.  :-)

(As a note, while I will have it in the EX small groups section when it's up, I tend to keep adult content to its own separate thread and ask people to tag NC/EX, so you will never need to read or participate in something you don't want to see. I'm only picking EX because it gives the most freedom in plot content for World of Darkness stories)

Shores

Endorphin

That all sounds very nice. I'll start putting together a character concept and portrait that I think will fit nicely into this idea. Is there anything that anyone else is considering playing in particular? Just so that I can work with you in creating something complementary.

Blythe

Guh, RL and various commitments got away from me a little bit (or a lot, I know it's been a month). I am still potentially willing to run a V5 group game, but I would understand if my ridiculous slowness has either caused enough attrition in interest in it or if my slowness is just not folks's cups of tea, so to speak. But I didn't want to ghost on it--let me know what y'all would like, folks. (nearly done with all the set-up I'd need to introduce new players--it's taken longer than expected to work on tutorial)

Captain America

If still recruiting I am, somewhat, interested in 5e. And if it is a group that will be acrive play by post may be a decent way for me to go as I travel ALL.the time. Lol
Skype Captain America (captainamerica_@Hotmail.com)

Feel free to pester me.

Malkavian

QuoteAs a side note, I've been playing with the Platinum theme lately and I'm thinking I should put together something of a Vampire theme next. I feel a lot more encouraged to do so now!

Please do this!

Also, to all interested in V5, I recommend looking up Blood on the Thames on YouTube. I adore the series and they do a good job of explaining the system to people as they play.

Aracia

I don't mean to hijack this discussion, but since it appears it never got off the ground, I thought I'd offer an alternative.

I've been running a Masquerade game for about half a year now and it's been going along well.  We're using BNS edition, which is similar to V20.  It's a normal game with character sheets and dice and plots and challenges, but adult themes/RP is welcome as well.  It tends to happen in side scenes as is relevant to IC.

It's set up so that new players can join at any time, and the more we have, the better.  We could particularly use more female players.

I'm happy to answer questions here or in messages, but if you're interested, definitely give me a yell.