News:

Main Menu

Video Game News

Started by Skynet, December 05, 2015, 06:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skynet

So I figured instead of making a separate thread for each happening in the game industry, be it a new release, a designer getting in KickStarter trouble, or whatnot, I'd make a news thread of sorts.

And even within the last few days quite a bit has happened.

And just to head it off, discussion about GamerGate, sexism/LGBTphobia and the like in gaming culture may be best suited to the PROC subforum, although I wouldn't mind sharing links and such here provided it doesn't dominate the discussion.

It turns out that Konami actually banned Hideo Kojima from showing up at a game awards ceremony.

It seems that so much news about Konami and Kojima these days is a never-ending spiral of badness.  I can only hope that the fellow gets to another publisher that will respect his talent, or start his own.  Lord knows there will be plenty of devoted fans to support him as an indie developer.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt wins Game of the Year.

I'm not surprised, considering that the series is well-regarded, and they had one of the best policies for DLC I've seen in games these days.  I only have to finally start playing the first one in the series again.  Yeah, I can't multi-task when it comes to RPGs. ::)

A side-scrolling Metroidvania game from 2009, Shadow Complex, has a remastered version out now for free on the PC, Xbox, and PS4 up until December 31st!

Apparently the linked site's taking a long time for me to load, indicating a lot of people are flocking there.

I've already played Shadow Complex quite some time ago.  I found it to be quite fun at the time: the gist of the game is that you're an ex-military guy going on a woodlands drive and spelunking with a lady, in the backdrop of a USA embroiled in a civil war between liberals and conservatives (this takes place in the same universe as the book Empire by Orson Scott Card).  Said woman gets kidnapped by soldiers of the Restoration, who are using said caves as a hideout for one of their major military bases.  In the process of trying to rescue her, you run and gun your way through a side-scrolling action game, discovering new equipment both contemporary and science fiction, and fighting mechas too!

I'll just say right now that the game's better than the books.

Back in 2004 Psychonauts was a very good, yet underrated game by Tim Schafer.  Now there's a Psychonauts 2 in the works, but Tim Schafer wants to crowdfund it.

Unfortunately, Schafer had some crowdfunding troubles for his last project.  His Broken Age game received over three million dollars, but the one that came out was rather short and lackluster and contributing no small amount of contention over this.

As a fan of the first game, I want to see a Psychonauts 2, but I'm kind of worried in regards to the mans' management.

Also, some gameplay footage of Far Cry Primal came out.  I've never been so interested in playing as a caveman with animal control powers!

Angry Joe had an interesting interview/Let's Play where he and one of its developers talked about the game's features in media res:

CaptainNexus616

Pscyhonauts...funny you should mention it because I found out about it like ten minutes ago lol. I'm excited over this and I agree I hope this game does well but I do have my concerns. Hopefully the sequel will be made with the same love that made the first one so great. I still have my copy of the game.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Skynet

Just Cause 3 is out now for 3, and it's getting very low user scores on Metacritic.

Much of the blame lies on poor optimization for the PCs, as even with high-end modern hardware the framerate sucks.  People also experience server issues for online play, and say that the repetitive nature of missions is boring.

As a fan of the second game, it's a shame to see this.  It just came out, so hopefully the optimization issues are fixed; maybe that will make up for a lot of the mistakes.

CaptainNexus616

▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Skynet

This looks very cool.  I notice that the combat seems live-action instead of turn-based.  Sort of akin to Crisis Core, maybe?  I haven't played that, so I can't comment if it seems entirely new or based off an existing game.

Still, I'm excited for it, yet tinged with skepticism as the new Square-Enix isn't the old one in terms of workers and designers.

Also, Barrett with sunglasses.  Do want.

The unthinkable has happened: Shaq Fu's getting a sequel!

Shaquille O'Neal is interviewed by IGN about it, the original game, and other things.  I really like his responses!

CaptainNexus616

I have personally played and still own Crisis Core. I have to agree that is what it made me first think of when it came to combat. However some people are concerned that it will be more FF XIII (which left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths it would seem.) I have personally not played it but who knows.

To my understanding they have a good bulk of the original FFVII crew together. They said they wouldn't do a remake till they had the band back together so here's hoping.

Revelation

From an interview that was released yesterday, Nomura said that the ATB/Active Time Battle from 7 is still present in some form, and that combat is being modeled in a way similar to Dissidia/kingdom hearts.

Skynet

The latest game in the Hitman series goes back to the beginning, when Agent 47 first joined the ICA.

Betas for the PlayStation 4 and PC will come around February 2016.  After the letdown that was Absolution, I'm hoping they go back to the open-ended variety and objectives which made the series so good.

And a teaser trailer:

Skynet

As part of a marketing partnership, a new costume in Super Mario Maker allows you to play as Mario driving a Mercedes Benz.

Hey, at least you get it for free.

Valve recently announced that as many as 77,000 accounts get hacked per month, and are planning features to upgrade security, such as trade holding.

Ugh, stuff like this makes me worry.

Also, one of the developers of the Witcher 3 released a "find the Man in Glass" challenge for fans, which managed to stump even devoted players (yes, spoilers for the DLC).

The more I read about the Witcher 3, the more I want to play it.  But I feel like I should beat the first 2 games beforehand, which I have not yet done. :-(

Also, XCOM 2 is coming out in early 2016, and right now a 60 minute video of gameplay released with developer commentary.  I haven't watched the whole thing yet.

I'm a big fan of the 2012 predecessor, and this one's a "what-iff" scenario set 20 years after the first game when the united Earth defense forces lose and surrender to the aliens.  You're playing as an underground resistance movement in a sleek and shiny yet disturbingly-altered alien-dominated Earth.

Also, the first half hour is base management, so if you want to see the action skip to the 27:40 mark.

Revelation

I am so excited for Xcom 2 it's gross. But I am trying to remain as blind to it as I can so I can just dive in nakedly. I already had one new alien totally spoiled, which would have been fun to see in game for the first time.

Denivar

Valve recently announced that as many as 77,000 accounts get hacked per month, and are planning features to upgrade security, such as trade holding.

Ugh, stuff like this makes me worry

Don't worry,  do something about it!

The actual article is about how Valve wants you to enable two factor authentication on your account (aka steamguard). This is super easy to do and will make your account very secure.  So do it from your steam Preferences.  While you're at it,  do it on your google account,  facebook account and every other account that is important to you.
"If you go to see the woman, do not forget the whip." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Ons and Offs -- Roleplay Ideas -- Apologies, Absences, Excuses, that sort of thing

Skynet

In 4 days Final Fantasy VI is coming to Steam.  However, it's using the art design from the mobile phone version, which many people do not like.

I don't feel strongly about this, although I do prefer the SNES/PlayStation art style.  Sabin's bicep in his character portrait looks overblown.

Here's the page.

DudelRok

Quote from: Denivar on December 11, 2015, 07:11:58 PM
Don't worry,  do something about it!

The actual article is about how Valve wants you to enable two factor authentication on your account (aka steamguard). This is super easy to do and will make your account very secure.  So do it from your steam Preferences.  While you're at it,  do it on your google account,  facebook account and every other account that is important to you.

As someone who doesn't have a Smartphone, the new Valve protection comes really double edge sword to me. Thankfully I don't do much trading, so it wont affect me very much, but the times it does affect me will be very super aggravating, for sure.

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

CaptainNexus616

Is he taking the Metal Gear franchise with him? I know the creator for Assassin's Creed was forced to leave that franchise with Ubisoft after they fired him :/

Skynet

Konami still owns the rights to Metal Gear, and I doubt they're going to give up that cash cow without a princely sum; a sum I doubt one will be able to pay unless they're the CEO of a Fortune 500 company.

A US Congressman is a big League of Legends fan, and talks about it as part of an ad for the game.

This causes an ethics committee investigation, but later decided that nothing was amiss.

I guess it goes to show how far we've come when a member of Congress (predominantly made up of old guys) is now seeking support from video game players. :P

Edit: Made a mistake, this video was not a campaign ad, but a LoL Community ad.

The President and Global CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment has plans for a partnership with Hideo Kojima:

Somnifera

But good lord, what of Silent Hills? The gaming tragedy of the year, as far as I'm concerned. Learning that Junji Ito was on the team was twisting the knife.

Meanwhile, has anyone heard of the supposed submitted patent from Nintendo from what's speculated to be their next console controller? I can't stand it. But I'm also not a fan of the WiiU controller. It's a decent idea but the whole 'look down at your hands then back up also there's a light glaring under your face" thing is definitely a step backwards in gaming, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm going to be very upset if that's the controller I'd have to play the new Zelda game on, next year.
I'm what was meant, not what was written. Right on the tip of the tongue and just out of focus.

~Ons,Offs, and some characters~
~Plots~
{Not interested in new RPs at this time}

Oniya

Quote from: Somnifera on December 16, 2015, 05:59:12 PM
But good lord, what of Silent Hills? The gaming tragedy of the year, as far as I'm concerned. Learning that Junji Ito was on the team was twisting the knife.

Wait - Ito is involved in making a game?  Mister 'Body-Horror' himself?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Somnifera

Oh sweet summer child...

A couple weeks after del Toro and subsequently Konami leaked that Silent Hills had been scrapped because of all the drama, it was revealed that not only were del Toro and Kojima working on this, which was going to be fucking amazing, but that yes, Mr. Body Horror himself had been part of the team.

As if the news couldn't have gotten any worse, now we know that the game would have been the best Silent Hill game and one of the top horror games ever made.

Friggin' hell.
I'm what was meant, not what was written. Right on the tip of the tongue and just out of focus.

~Plots~

Somnifera

~Plots~

Skynet

Rare (gaming company) released an interesting video on the history of Banjo-Kazooie.  Notably that it first began as a game called Dream for the SNES, along with footage:

la dame en noir

All I care about is seeing more information about Mass Effect Andromeda.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

HairyHeretic

Steam is doing strange things at the moment. It seems they were/are being DDoS'ed, and whatever is going on, it's causing people to see private information on others accounts.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.