Computer keeps saying it needs to restart.

Started by Mellific, April 12, 2018, 07:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mellific

I'm running Windows 10 and ever since an update a while back, every time I turn on my laptop, a small notification says 'Restart Required.' I've tried restarting (tons of times over the last few weeks) and it does not make this notification go away. The only way to get it to go away is to manually hit the X on the notification itself. But, rest assured, it will still be there tomorrow when I turn the computer on. >_>;

O/O | A/A | MM

AmberStarfire

I'd have a look at the updates and see if one mightn't have installed properly.

If you go to file explorer, and type control panel it will bring you there. In the top, right hand side you can type 'windows update' and hit search.

It should bring up a wizard that checks your updates, and an icon for a list of installed updates. You can right click and uninstall certain ones if you need to. While I don't know which one would've caused it, you might be able to find the answer to that on Google if other people have had the same problem or you mightn't have that many recent ones.

Mellific

Quote from: AmberStarfire on April 12, 2018, 08:17:39 AM
I'd have a look at the updates and see if one mightn't have installed properly.

If you go to file explorer, and type control panel it will bring you there. In the top, right hand side you can type 'windows update' and hit search.

It should bring up a wizard that checks your updates, and an icon for a list of installed updates. You can right click and uninstall certain ones if you need to. While I don't know which one would've caused it, you might be able to find the answer to that on Google if other people have had the same problem or you mightn't have that many recent ones.

Thank you for responding, that was very helpful! I went to the Control Panel and searched for updates. It did a thing and updated, then I restarted. We'll see if that fixes it! Might not know until I shut down and turn it back on again. But I'll be sure to update here when that happens. Thanks again, Amber!  :-)

O/O | A/A | MM

AmberStarfire

Sure, no problem at all. :) I hope it solves the problem or helps you pinpoint the problem.

Mellific

Almost thought this had fixed things for a while there, but unfortunately it looks like I'm still getting the same notification to restart. I've restarted and shut down a couple of times since the update. The notification still has not gone away.

Also, I just realized this thread should probably be in the Computer Problems sub-section. Oops. I didn't know it was there! xD

O/O | A/A | MM

Lexandria

Would you like this scooted over there for you?

Tentatively accepting a few new stories
Interests
Schedule
Creative Things
Current Cravings

Mellific

Please! Thank you, Lex. I don't want this clogging space in the wrong section.

O/O | A/A | MM