Temple of Luminescence (High lvl Pathfinder Recruitment)

Started by indarkestknight, October 08, 2018, 05:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life in Color

Roleplay Frog

's my personal believe that stupid is the problem, not evil. Lotsa people like to forget that Demonlords are all the exemplars of CE, and a fair amount of them still manage to maintain a hierarchical structure. Sure, the ordinary low rank demons attack anything that doesn't put them in place on sight, but they are stoopid. Do you wanna act like the next succubus-queen or like the next Dretch?

I like to remind my players that their character is supposed to have existed in the world they are in for decades, likely doing what they've been doing in the campaign. Rarely do I see good character fully dive into their alignment, you know, helping strangers, not just npc's that look promising, trying to redeem rather than slay the little xp bags monsters wherever reasonable, that kinda stuff.

Hunter

Quote from: Roleplay Frog on October 10, 2018, 06:37:46 PM
's my personal believe that stupid is the problem, not evil.

That really goes both directions.    People commonly associate paladins with Lawful Stupid but they tend to overlook that evil characters aren't automatically what I refer to as Chaotic Dumbshit.    Good tends to win because evil doesn't manage teamwork very well.      As for myself, I prefer chaotic neutral over any brand of evil.

It's also a result of taking the easy route, you get the same award for slaying as redeeming.   And slaying is much less work.

Roleplay Frog

work in roleplay is an illusion. What you work harder for, you'll appreciate more. I'm kinda tempted to playing a genuinly good character now, they're not as easy as people expect 'em to be. *chuckles*

Hunter

The idea of good and evil working together?  Oh yes, sign me up.

Snake

I'm interested but Froggy here dislikes me still as far as I know. Wish it wasn't so.

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Snake on October 10, 2018, 07:57:40 PM
I'm interested but Froggy here dislikes me still as far as I know. Wish it wasn't so.

You, in a pvp scenario, cheated with the diceroller results and thought nothing of it until you were called out on it. And were're not talking three years ago, not even three months ago.
The fact that you play this down as me disliking you is a sign that you have not changed. Frankly, if I'd been you I'd have removed myself from any dice-based games for at least a year.

Chanticleer

Quote from: Hunter on October 10, 2018, 07:40:52 PM
That really goes both directions.    People commonly associate paladins with Lawful Stupid but they tend to overlook that evil characters aren't automatically what I refer to as Chaotic Dumbshit.    Good tends to win because evil doesn't manage teamwork very well.      As for myself, I prefer chaotic neutral over any brand of evil.

It's also a result of taking the easy route, you get the same award for slaying as redeeming.   And slaying is much less work.

At lleast in my limited experience, Chaotic Neutral also has a relatively nasty stigma among many players. It's frequently treated as the ultimate nihilistic 'I do what I want, whenever I want to.' At convention games, I've seen nearly as much backstabby, anti-party behavior by CNs as by CEs.
My current O/os (need work)

Hunter

Quote from: Chanticleer on October 10, 2018, 08:07:22 PM
At lleast in my limited experience, Chaotic Neutral also has a relatively nasty stigma among many players. It's frequently treated as the ultimate nihilistic 'I do what I want, whenever I want to.' At convention games, I've seen nearly as much backstabby, anti-party behavior by CNs as by CEs.

In my experience, that's a result of the player being an asswipe rather than the alignment.   I've known more than one player who was invariably ended up with characters that behaved that way, no matter what system it was.

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Hunter on October 10, 2018, 08:20:46 PM
In my experience, that's a result of the player being an asswipe rather than the alignment.   I've known more than one player who was invariably ended up with characters that behaved that way, no matter what system it was.

Yeah all this talk about bad stuff really makes me wanna do an exemplary teamplay character *chuckles*

And for the record, you can be NE and a teamplayer or CN and orderly... just takes some imagination. I had a CN that had quite the reasonable moral compass, it just pointed in it's own direction occasionally.

Chanticleer

Quote from: Hunter on October 10, 2018, 08:20:46 PM

Granted. On the other hand, I'd argue that this is probably a contributor in all of the 'Oh no, someone playing ____ alignment' stories.

Quote from: Roleplay Frog on October 10, 2018, 08:23:46 PM
Yeah all this talk about bad stuff really makes me wanna do an exemplary teamplay character *chuckles*

Well, you know I'm messing with teamwork feats in at least one other campaign here! Did you have any particular ideas yet? Or like me are you still in 'well, it depends on the campaign' territory?

Roleplay Frog

I mean if we do the dragon or etc campaign there's little point in building a character up. so *shrugs*

Also, I find teamwork feats only work out if you have a character that can slap them on other peeps at least a bit *chuckles*

Chanticleer

Quote from: Roleplay Frog on October 10, 2018, 09:17:10 PM
I mean if we do the dragon or etc campaign there's little point in building a character up. so *shrugs*

Also, I find teamwork feats only work out if you have a character that can slap them on other peeps at least a bit *chuckles*

Or an arrangement pre-character generation with one or more other party members. :)

Hunter

Quote from: Chanticleer on October 10, 2018, 10:04:40 PM
Or an arrangement pre-character generation with one or more other party members. :)

Personally, I love it when this happens.    Not only as a GM but as a player.     It can be fun to spend part of the first session hashing out who's making what and how everyone is tied together.

indarkestknight

Original post has been updated. Please check for information regarding Character Creation and Houserules.

I am aware I left a handful of rather significant subjects up in the air. That is because I have not yet come to a decision regarding either of these subjects. I would like to encourage the potential playerbase to voice their preferences with regard to these two subjects.

Setting: Contenders at the moment are Golarion, Forgotten Realms, Nentir Vale, Tal'Dorei, or Greyhawk. Discuss.

Crafting: While crafting midgame is unlikely, to what extent should crafting be allowed? This is tied into the issue of custom magic items to some extent, and if it weren't for custom magic items, I'd be tempted to limit crafting feats to Brew Potion, Craft Staff, Craft Wand, and Scribe Scroll and call it a day.

Custom Magic Items: Should they be allowed at all, or, as with 3rd party material, evaluated on a case by case basis? What restrictions should be placed on their accessibility, if any? Should they only be available to those who take crafting feats? Should they cost their full value in gold pieces, rather than the usual half when crafting?

Zaer Darkwail

I voice interest as well, high level pathfinder is rare as it is in most sites.

Setting: Fine with anything, but familiar with Forgotten Realms from most and bit on Greyhawk (and know Tal'Dorei is Critical Role world but haven't seen even single episode; more clips here and there).

Crafting: In my opinion crafting is allowed, make own stuff with GP limit (like they gain no more than 1/4 more GP worth of items compared to others or 1/2 more if they have crafted stuff for others as part of background story).

Custom Magic Items: Both crafters and non-crafters should allowed custom items. Either limit on amount of custom items per char (like max 3 and along unique written story for it) or limit how many items can be merged together (like max 3 items can be merged despite gp cost).

In regards good vs evil; I am fine for such party and both good and evil can be played dumb manner (including paladins). But it depends on player how well said char is portrayed. Example chaotic evil barbarian could work for group if he has personal interest to do so and considers rest of party 'as his pack/group' and thus form personal attachment/bond. Or bond strongly to one person they are willing follow them to heaven and hell and back again for them.

Chulanowa

Quote from: indarkestknight on October 11, 2018, 03:23:12 AM
Setting: Contenders at the moment are Golarion, Forgotten Realms, Nentir Vale, Tal'Dorei, or Greyhawk. Discuss.

Largely unfamiliar with Tal'Dorei, not a fan of Nentir Vale, and I find Greyhawk painfully dull. If Eberron or Krynn aren't options, then I'mma say Golarion at #1, Forgotten Realms at #2 (just 'cause pathfidner is of course somewhat more compatable with Golarion)

QuoteCrafting: While crafting midgame is unlikely, to what extent should crafting be allowed? This is tied into the issue of custom magic items to some extent, and if it weren't for custom magic items, I'd be tempted to limit crafting feats to Brew Potion, Craft Staff, Craft Wand, and Scribe Scroll and call it a day.

When you break it down, these feats at character creation are just "Get magic items at half cost." I would personally disallow them at creation just because that's all they do; if you want players to get discount items, just give 'em discount items. After character creation, I don't figure there's anything wrong with just ignoring the feat requirement if people want to make the items... so long as it's not assembly line, mass-manufacture style. (You've still gotta get that certain jewel from the City of Brass to put into your sequoiya stave that was struck by lightning on the equinox in order to make your "Wand of Fireball" etc)

QuoteCustom Magic Items: Should they be allowed at all, or, as with 3rd party material, evaluated on a case by case basis? What restrictions should be placed on their accessibility, if any? Should they only be available to those who take crafting feats? Should they cost their full value in gold pieces, rather than the usual half when crafting?

How much customization? Swapping slots for magic properties usually isn't a big deal; a Belt of Protection +1 doesn't give you anything a Ring of Protection +1 doesn't. Similarly, putting the properties from a chain shirt onto mithril full plate (and upping the cost appropriately) usually isn't an issue. When you get into homebrew effects, it can get a little dicey. I'd say case-by-case, with care; You don't want people with gear full of Luck bonuses.  :-)

Roleplay Frog

Setting: Particular to Greyhawk, but no backbreaker.

Crafting: Don't.

Custom items: Case by case strict rulings, a custom item should at best be equal to a comparable item of equal cost, I.e. If someone wants a belt of improving int and strength for some reason I'd be cautious.

Now the Frog has to plan out a character. *nods sagely* Actually, wait, I can use a certain character archetype I likie. Woooo

Random note on character creation.. while 25 point buy is the safe option, a  dual set of 4d6, drop lowest is, statistically, superior,.. if you like to gamble. Which I do!
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Roll Result: Sunny party time rolled: 4d6, keeping 3 dice
Comment:
Result: 4, 1, 4, 1,
Total: 9

Result: 2, 4, 4, 6,
Total: 14

Comment:
Result: 3, 1, 1, 3,
Total: 7

Comment:
Result: 6, 5, 6, 5,
Total: 17

Comment:
Result: 2, 1, 3, 2,
Total: 7

Comment:
Result: 2, 2, 3, 6,
Total: 11

Hooh jinxed it. I think I'll have a look at those DM rolls too. *chuckles.* Honestly, I am kinda tempted, I never got to play a character this bad.

Roleplay Frog

Ok, I can't make up my mind between two concepts with similiar base principles, both would be hard-hitting frontlineish fighters, but one is more good, one more evil.. so letting you decide!

Good themed frog

Or evil frog!

Lockepick

Is this game still recruiting? If so, I'd love to plant some interest.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Roleplay Frog on October 11, 2018, 09:11:22 AM
Ok, I can't make up my mind between two concepts with similiar base principles, both would be hard-hitting frontlineish fighters, but one is more good, one more evil.. so letting you decide!

Good themed frog

Or evil frog!

Well, wushu music was nice but my inner metal/rock would place vote for evil frog for sure if using that theme on char :). Now to help nail down my char concept/idea here's some theme's;

Roleplay Frog

+1 Evil frog vote.

The piratey song is.. well honestly, for pirates, rather generic, you can do better. Goody thing.. well, sounds good.

Omnia harping.. yeah evil wins out sorry. :P

Zaer Darkwail

Well, pirate song was for because my neutral concept was for a pirate themed char. So winner is evil bard who turned their sibling into a harp (killed him out of jealousy).

Hunter

Setting: I'm familiar with Golarion and Forgotten Realms.   I've heard of but never played in Greyhawk.   I haven't heard of Nentir Vale or Tal'Dorei.
So Golarion or Realms.

Crafting: I'd agree with your limitation.   It wouldn't hurt to have the healer (which, odds are, will be me) being able to whip up their own consumables.

Custom Magic Items: I'd have to echo Chulanowa as to what that meant exactly.

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on October 11, 2018, 01:30:28 PM
Well, pirate song was for because my neutral concept was for a pirate themed char. So winner is evil bard who turned their sibling into a harp (killed him out of jealousy).

Well, yes, but pirates have so many options! from epic over classy over spooky to silly: