What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegade Vile

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 28, 2016, 03:14:08 AM
You should probably take Ms. Germanotta a lot more seriously than you apparently do - her stage persona and her real-life personality could not be further apart. She's an incredibly prolific philanthropist and social activist. While I think 'making the world a more compassionate place' is sort of a pointless (though well-intentioned) fluff topic in a lot of ways, she's a far better, or at least far more qualified, candidate to doing so than most celebrities would be. If nothing else, she puts a lot of her own money where her mouth is on the issues she champions.

It's not her stage persona that I compare her to, I just have a healthy doze of skepticism towards any celebrity who put their face out there. Not that I think they do it all for the publicity, but complex issues tend to be poorly commented on by celebrities of all walks of pop culture. Maybe she's better than most celebrities, but that's not exactly a high bar to reach.

Fun Fact: She's been declared persona non grata in China now again because of said conference and sharing the stage with the Dalai Lama.
(Apparently it's not the first time)

At this point, is there anyone left who China isn't angry with *chuckles*.

Some days I think we should just let Texas go back to being an independent republic. At least then we wouldn't have to put up with their nonsense all the time.

But your stocks in cowboy hats would plummet!

Quote from: Kythia on June 28, 2016, 03:50:29 AM
We're out of Europe. No no, not the Brexit stuff. The football. Lost 2-1 to Iceland and frankly we deserved it.

Good luck Wales

I'm genuinely surprised Belgium's still in it. Did we finally change to a coach who can teach good players to work as a team? I've always been told that was our single biggest flaw. We had good individual athletes, but they sucked at actually working together.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

AmberStarfire

Renegade Vile

Quote from: AmberStarfire on June 28, 2016, 11:20:15 AM
A woman sued Microsoft (and won) over Windows 10.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/home-entertainment/computers/woman-successfully-sued-microsoft-over-sneaky-tactics-used-for-windows-10-update/news-story/02a1fa55bec1f4ef9aecb64ce494e455

Wish I could get 10 000 euros for computer troubles!
Though it is odd that she let it install, because, like Windows said at the bottom of the post, and as I saw in the case of my wife and aunt, who both had this happen, the laptop downloads the update, but doesn't complete installation until you confirm. Unless that's a new thing since the cases I'm referring to happened about two weeks ago.

AmberStarfire

I'm not sure. I think if people have it set to automatically install recommended updates and it's now tagged as one, it might install it including initializing the installation? Maybe it just downloads it, but.. I don't know.

I've heard of other people saying it did a complete upgrade of Windows 10 without them doing anything, including another person who was using the computer for their business and it interfered with their setup when it decided to install itself without warning.

Zakharra

I remember reading on a couple of forums where MS was being damned tricky in getting people to upgrade to Windows 10, via clicking the little x at the corner was taken as a 'Yes Download and install Windows 10' and it taking some effort to block the automatic updates or an update of your previous Windows juuuust had a little bit of code in it that changed your updater to 'update to Windows 10' automatically. Stealth upgrades and crap like that.

Oniya

I think my upgrade was done during the 'recommended update' phase.  I can't remember what I had things set for, but I had been clicking the 'Not Now' button with every 'reminder', so I definitely didn't confirm.  Now, it didn't break anything terribly (except for Fraps, which I replaced with OBS quickly enough) but I can see it causing lots of issues if someone had work-related software that wouldn't work with Win 10.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

LisztesFerenc

Hey, I remember this from a while ago I think, turns out he settled. The article mentions the case was dismissed though, so I'm unsure why he paid. Just to be safe?

https://www.yahoo.com/music/mike-huckabee-campaign-pays-25-000-unauthorized-eye-203129617.html

Oniya

Probably on the off-chance he ever wants to try using a Survivor song in a future campaign.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

Acting according to the presidential decree #getnakedandwork (pictures generally safe for work)  ;)

Lukashenko may have felt he had to live up to the next-door macho man, Putin. The response of his citizens are on the fun-loving side though.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lustful Bride

Multiple suicide bombings in Istanbul Turkey, airport seems to be the main target.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/livecoverage/breaking-news-now/lc-AAhJzB0

Mithlomwen

Quote from: Lustful Bride on June 28, 2016, 05:17:26 PM
Multiple suicide bombings in Istanbul Turkey, airport seems to be the main target.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/livecoverage/breaking-news-now/lc-AAhJzB0

It just never stops.   :'(
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Mithlomwen on June 28, 2016, 08:07:05 PM
It just never stops.   :'(

Sadly, I don't think it ever will. Not necessarily the same culprits, but yeah...

TaintedAndDelish

For the curious, the linked article below touches on Turkey's gun laws.

Quote from: https://www.romper.com/p/what-are-turkeys-gun-laws-the-istanbul-airport-attack-has-prompted-questions-13385
According to a report by the Turkish Parliament Interior Commission in 2012, 85 per cent of guns in Turkey remain unregistered. Turkey does have some gun laws in place, like age restrictions and required medical documentation. The Turkish government requires that any person buying a gun must be 21 years of age and provide a report of physical and mental stability issued by a doctor. If the purchaser meets these requirements, they have to pay 1,600 dollars for two permits: one for owning a gun, and the other for carrying it on their person. A provincial governor has to sign their application and the two licenses can be held for five years.

AmberStarfire

Avis habilis

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lilias on June 29, 2016, 08:47:10 AM
Glastonbury and restoration of faith

When you just don't want to deal with the world: party hard.
I sit on a couch and play video games. Same thing though.

gaggedLouise

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

AmberStarfire

AmberStarfire

Quote from: Renegade Vile on June 29, 2016, 03:55:49 PM
And tattoos make sure you don't get the job *rolls eyes*.

I'd say it depends on the job and where they are. :)

TheGlyphstone

Kythia

Really?  That's in the news? 

TheGlyphstone

I'm not the one who started talking about tattoos. I just thought it was relevant. ;D