News:

Main Menu

Free Office Suite

Started by King_Furby, February 24, 2007, 09:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King_Furby

http://www.openoffice.org/

Open office is a free open source fully functional office suite, a very good alternitive to Mircosoft Office. I rather like the programs this Open Office comes with. Just putting this here incase anyone was in need of something like this.

CaptainErotica

I've been using this program for a few years now and it is a great alternative. The onlt drawback is that unless i'm doing something wrong, the recipient can't always read your document with regualr Microsoft Office, but you can open and read any documents sent to you.

Nathan

All I use in office is word, and I like 'abiword' (http://www.abisource.com/) better than openoffice.org simply because it's lighter and runs faster on my creaky old computer. I'm not sure which one opens MS-Word documents better, however.

RogueJedi

When you are saving a file in OpenOffice, you can set what type of file you want to save it as.  Besides the default Open Document Text filetype... there are all of the MS Office types of files.  Believe me, I use them all the time.  I won't use anything but OpenOffice anymore.

King_Furby

Open Office works great and one should not have many problems with others being able to open any files you send them with Open Office.

Thats why i just got into the habbit of saving everything in rich text format which can be opened in any doc program pretty much. I also like the ease of making PDF docs in open office

Hunter

Open Office does everything that microsoft office does for a significant less cost.

And version 2.1 (which I use) includes a database program similar to microsoft access.

King_Furby

Less cost..actually there is no cost involved. Just download it and poof free software.

I like the Base (the database program you are talking about) but i have more experience with Access. Base is really great its easy to pick up though i don't have a use for it i still like to go in and mess around with it.

Hunter

As a note, both Writer and Calc have an "Export to PDF" option now.  Fun stuff.  ^_^

King_Furby

I for some reason like PDF docs, they are fun to make.

Though i only used them really to make a tutorial or two on editing a PC game (halo ce).