What do you guys think people are blaming video games on now?

Started by Combicon, October 22, 2009, 07:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Combicon

Japanese car manufacturers are becoming increasingly distressed at the lack of interest in their cars displayed by young Japanese, and Toyota has made what many consider the risible suggestion that this is due to the pernicious influence of video games…

Quote from: Toyota people“Video game consoles are the problem. With such realistic play available they don’t need cars or anything anymore.”

Market surveys have concluded that economic factors are the most significant, along with urban life and a “diversification” of interests amongst the younger generations. Car manufacturers on the other hand appear convinced they can win over young consumers with shiny new models and more relevant marketing campaigns… It seems it may be they who are asleep at the wheel.

If you can read Japanese, and want to see for yourself:
http://mainichi.jp/select/opinion/yuraku/archive/news/2009/10/20091019ddf041070025000c.html

This isn't the link I found this on, but this is one that is safe for work:
http://kotaku.com/5387350/toyota-exec-realistic-video-games-make-cars-unnecessary

Sabby

So thats why I couldn't sell my Glo-Sticks... video games! Who would buy a shiny stick of beaming light when video games have those?

Le RandomBloke

I forgot how pixelated cars will get me from point A to point B in a fast and efficient manner like real cars do. They're totally right.   *Facepalm*

"Give me all your true hate and I’ll translate it in our bed into never seen passion."

MasterMischief

Azrael

Quote from: BlackSabbyth on October 22, 2009, 07:16:38 AM
So thats why I couldn't sell my Glo-Sticks... video games! Who would buy a shiny stick of beaming light when video games have those?

You could always tell them that their tv contains sticks of shiny light just like them...
Video games are blamed for everything, it is only a matter of time before somebody comments that many of the people who have contracted swine flu play video games..  oh wait...

People need to take responsibility for their actions rather than blaming games when they burn three cars, murder their parents, and write I am a fish on a wall in twenty foot high letters written in lime juice.
Non-binary, sometimes femme-ish, fae tiger.

Kate

(Btw you need to find druggies to sell glow sticks - go to a rave and you will be mobbed by them - specially if they can be worn as earrings)

i think that what would be excellent is video games representing things that happen in real life so they are not separate realities

eg - your playing this strange game with others online and depending on what happens in the game the gaming company may sponsor this or that

eg - the game is a car racing game - the winner car is noted - and the gameing company sponsors some car to look like that or be outfitted that way for a real race.

OR - in the game your character invests in this or that or such happens
- the gaming company buys shares (from sales profits) on behalf of the purchasers of the game in companies that are afflicted with that industry.
thus the game is a different view of the world - shares are in hte background bought buy the happenings in that game.

"prizes" could initially be simpler - free food for a year or something - you win a car etc a new computer / free internet access for a year and so on.

Integrate !

make the winnders of the car game known (those with the hottest skills)
deck out taxi's with remote controlled servos - so those playing the game can get money "driving" people to other places ... they are controlling a cab for real.

(ie the gamers can be "licenced" / registered ... and of course neglegence etc they can be found in fault for - but some loathe he idea of leaving their room - but may have hot skills with cars all the same - use them - exploit it as a resource)

Chris Brady

I think they are right.  Until American or Western based car games, they had never known that the West could make cooler looking cars!  And now that they can, why would you want to go to a small box on wheels when you can have a race car made for the street?

;D
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Leala Magnus

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 08, 2009, 06:14:59 PM
I think they are right.  Until American or Western based car games, they had never known that the West could make cooler looking cars!  And now that they can, why would you want to go to a small box on wheels when you can have a race car made for the street?

;D

I definately agree with you here. A good old muscle car is built exactly for racing while you have 'riceburners' and the only thing they are used for is to look 'flashy' with the custom designs people put on them, and for drifting. Give me a camaro any day over a Toyota.

Avi

This made me spew soda.  Seriously. 

On another note, Chevrolet > Toyota in street racing any day.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Morven

Like all such things, there are good cars from all nations.  The Corvette is certainly a great car and cheap for what you get, with pretty good handling as well as straight-line performance in all the modern versions.  On the other hand, the vast majority of American performance cars, 60s through 80s, are designed for straight-line performance as the highest priority, and don't go round corners very well as stock.  The lighter ones (e.g. 60s shelby mustangs) can be turned into pretty good race cars, though.

All that said, seven liters of giant American V8 are a thrill anyone should experience.  I have one -- a 67 Thunderbird with the Ford 428.  Not on the road right now, but will be one day!
NaNo word count: 50,180 (done with NaNo, but not with the story ...)
Ons & Offs (generalities and explanations) | New Ons & Offs (checklist) | Apologies & Absences

Inkidu

Actually I can see where that could be a concern in places like Japan where cars aren't so much used for transportation as actual racing (illegally mostly, and it is a legit sale of an automobile) so yes video games offer a safer alternative.

Still its more funny that not.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Haruki

To Toyota:  Geeze, look at Tokyo for Pete's sake, and try fitting vehicles on the crowded streets of your busy business districts like Akihabara and Shibuya (spellings may be off, but they're close I'm sure).  People in the city use the speed train systems and what not to get from Point A to Point B in that entire metro area.

Also look over to here.  People aren't buying your cars here for looks, they're buying them for fuel economy.  In other words, your cars look plain and boring.

(This isn't to say American or European automobiles look any more exciting).

They also need to understand, just as many other business sectors in this country (the U.S. for me) like retailing, have understood after that disaster of a holiday shopping period last year.  We're in a period where you're not going to be pocketing billions in cash.  Make your cuts, shed your losses and focus on those who will get interested.

Now all that seriousness aside....this is a laugh-aloud moment.  These companies complaining and what not how they're losing money, then go around running like headless chickens, unsure of what to do.  Sometimes, the 'what to do' is plain Jane obvious.

Then again, I'm just an armchair quarterback with all this business junk.  It's just tiring to see people blaming something like video games, when they should probably blame more important reasons.  Isn't that why they hire supposed 'professional' analysts and stuff?  Or maybe said analysts are also a bunch of off-the-street hackjobs too.  Who knows? *shrug*
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

Oniya

I think I've seen video of one of Shibuya's intersections.  I know I've seen TV footage of Japanese cities.  You can't fit anything bigger than a motorcycle on those roads, once you take into account the foot and bike traffic.  It's worse than New York.  Having a car in a city like that, with an established public transportation system, is more of a white elephant than a convenience, much less a necessity.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Morven

Certainly, for a lot of people in urban Japan, a car is a luxury rather than a day-to-day necessity.  You don't commute in your car.  You don't go to school in it.

In that circumstance, in hard economic times, is it any wonder that young people decide they don't really need a car yet, or established adults decide, you know what, we can continue with the five-year-old car we have now.

And yes, young-adult car nuts may very well decide they can live with Gran Turismo 4 for a little longer.  It's not the desire that's down, it's the ability to afford anything that's down.
NaNo word count: 50,180 (done with NaNo, but not with the story ...)
Ons & Offs (generalities and explanations) | New Ons & Offs (checklist) | Apologies & Absences