What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bayushi

Was looking for a 'new' RPG to try out, since I've worn out Mass Effect 1&2.

So I asked around (mostly on my realm's forum on the WoW forums). They said either wait for the new Elder Scrolls title (not out til 11/11/11), or try Dragon Age: Origins.

So I hop on Steam, find a Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition. It comes with Origins, Origins: Awakings, and all nine content packs.

My question is whether it comes with things like Leliana's Song (is that considered a 'content pack'?), or not. I'm enjoying the game enough that I would pay the extra to pick some of the DLC up if they're not among the 'content packs'.

Inkidu

Quote from: Akiko on February 21, 2011, 10:18:48 AM
Was looking for a 'new' RPG to try out, since I've worn out Mass Effect 1&2.

So I asked around (mostly on my realm's forum on the WoW forums). They said either wait for the new Elder Scrolls title (not out til 11/11/11), or try Dragon Age: Origins.

So I hop on Steam, find a Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition. It comes with Origins, Origins: Awakings, and all nine content packs.

My question is whether it comes with things like Leliana's Song (is that considered a 'content pack'?), or not. I'm enjoying the game enough that I would pay the extra to pick some of the DLC up if they're not among the 'content packs'.
Usually it's cheaper to buy the DLC separate if you already own Dragon Age: Origins and Awakening, but you're probably getting a good deal. I don't know if you will enjoy it, but it comes with the following:

Dragon Age: Origins   PC
Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening   PC
Dragon Age: Origins - Darkspawn Chronicles   PC
Dragon Age: Origins - Golems of Amgarrak   PC
Dragon Age: Origins - Leliana's Song   PC
Dragon Age: Origins - Return to Ostagar   PC
Dragon Age: Origins - The Stone Prisoner   PC
Dragon Age: Origins - Warden's Keep   PC
Dragon Age: Origins - Witch Hunt
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on February 21, 2011, 09:44:28 AM
Gosh, gamers are the weirdest group of people (myself included) this side of baby-eating cults.

I agree gamers are weird, but for somewhat different reasons, I think. Gamers are somehow capable of setting impossible standards for some games, and accepting absolute mediocrity from others. It seems completely arbitrary to me.

Eh, but then, I have a pretty high tolerance for flaws and lack of polish. Some of my favorite games fall into that category. My only gripe is that assholes who wouldn't know quality if it smacked them in the face are making sure games that deserve a sequel, don't get one.

Also, I got conned into buying Test Drive Unlimited 2. Reckless driving, woo!

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on February 21, 2011, 01:13:07 PM
I agree gamers are weird, but for somewhat different reasons, I think. Gamers are somehow capable of setting impossible standards for some games, and accepting absolute mediocrity from others. It seems completely arbitrary to me.

Eh, but then, I have a pretty high tolerance for flaws and lack of polish. Some of my favorite games fall into that category. My only gripe is that assholes who wouldn't know quality if it smacked them in the face are making sure games that deserve a sequel, don't get one.

Also, I got conned into buying Test Drive Unlimited 2. Reckless driving, woo!
If you want reckless driving Burnout is the standard.

I have a high tolerance for bugs too, but I don't think developers should be able to get away with it.

Alpha Protocol has some really bad minigames. Though I can see that having picked simple soldier for my first playthrough really means I will be shooting the hell out of people. I docked some points into martial arts because beating the crap out of people never gets old.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Frost

Dragon Age has a very engrossing story i recommend it.

I did have Test Drive 2 on pre order im kinda glad i cancelled it now, have heard some rather disappointing reviews.

Really looking forward to Dragon Age 2, Bulletstorm, Homefront, Deus Ex, Hunted to name a few

I had been locked away for 5 years playing WoW but i have just been released from it's grips as i have just out played it now and have lost interest. My brother is trying to get me to play Perfect World at the moment, but i have many games to play on Xbox at the moment.

Sabby

Got Dead Space 2... enjoying it, a lot, even though I still refuse to call it horror, but I have one major gripe. That Kinesis is one of the worst game mechanics I've played recently. Its way too inaccurate to use in battle. I want that guys hook hand, not the table on the other side of the fucking room...

Wolfy

Ok Sabby, I caved and bought Amnesia. Prepare to be blamed for my nightmares.

Hemingway

The Dragon Age 2 demo ... it's out.

I'm torn between trying it, and not ...

Frost

i don't want to touch the demo i am awaiting my pre order and then just enjoy the game, as i know i will like it ALOT

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on February 22, 2011, 04:30:45 AM
Got Dead Space 2... enjoying it, a lot, even though I still refuse to call it horror, but I have one major gripe. That Kinesis is one of the worst game mechanics I've played recently. Its way too inaccurate to use in battle. I want that guys hook hand, not the table on the other side of the fucking room...
There hasn't been a game yet you're willing to call horror. Especially if it has a gun or gun-like object. Just wait... you will run.

As for the TK, it depends on how far away you are from the desired object. (Which logically makes sense as the module would suffer at a distance) I doubt you pulled the table from across the room if your were trying to grab an object within ten feet of Issac. I've used TK to great fluid effect. Just be grateful it has combat functionality now. Dead Space's couldn't do anything like that.

Hemingway

Well, I tried DA2. I didn't finish the demo, not wanting to spoil anything for myself, but so far ...

First, Hawke has all the potential to be an awesome character. First impression is good. My only complaint - and it's not really a big deal - is that his voice is sort of ... forgettable. It might change. The story/setting/atmosphere/whatever you want to call it seems a lot better than in DA:O. A lot more focused. To absolutely nobody's surprise. But it's still a good thing.

Second, combat feels much more fluent than in DA:O, but ... well, this was on the Xbox, and I don't know if Xbox players are restricted to the action RPG combat mode, or if it's just not in the demo, or if I was just too dumb to figure it out, but either way, I'm getting it for the PC and I'm definitely going to be playing it in the ... other mode, which seemed no worse than in DA:O based on the clips I saw.

Finally ... goddamn, it's still over two weeks away!

Edit: Silly me. The demo is on Steam, too, I just didn't find it earlier. Going to try it there as well, see if it's better than xbox. I hope so, 'cause I preordered like two weeks ago.

Wolfy

I think I'll just rent Dragon Age 2, as once I'm done with the story I'll probably just trade it in anyway. :/ And when DLC starts coming out for it, I'll wait for them to release Dragon Age 2 Ultimate Edition and decide what to do them.

Now...to decide between Homefront and Crysis 2...or do I put all my money towards buying games for the 3DS launch..o3o (Already have mine payed off. ^-^ )

Hemingway

Well, I tried the PC version of DA2. There's both good and bad to be said about it, compared to the Xbox version.

The bad is the camera and the controls. The camera is, at least as far as I could tell, stuck in third person. Which is sort of a disappointment, as this system is more like playing KotOR than Baldur's Gate. KotOR isn't bad, but when you want Baldur's Gate and get KotOR, it's disappointing.

Directly related to that, the controls, are somewhat clunky. It's better than on the Xbox in that you're not required to mash buttons, though, like I said, for all I know that option is in the Xbox version as well. The problem is that you attack and such using the right mouse button, for reasons entirely beyond me. This is problematic, because the same button is used to control the camera. Why I can't use either the left for attacks/movement and the right ( or middle ) for camera, I have no idea. There's no way of changing it, either, short of swapping the mouse buttons. Unfortunately, that means you'll be using the right mouse button for things like navigating menus, so I guess that's more of a left-handed option. It's not something I can't live with, but it is frustrating to know the controls were designed by idiots.

There are bright sides, too, like I already mentioned, so I'm not regretting my decision to get it for the PC. But it is a case of "WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?"

Edit: Of course, as I'm writing this, Steam pops up and informs me there's DLC available for Fallout: New Vegas.

Gahh.

Wolfy

Yep Dead Money. I has it. ^-^

Quite dark, it is...Especially a new companion you get.

Sabby

Quote from: Inkidu on February 22, 2011, 02:34:33 PM
There hasn't been a game yet you're willing to call horror. Especially if it has a gun or gun-like object. Just wait... you will run.

As for the TK, it depends on how far away you are from the desired object. (Which logically makes sense as the module would suffer at a distance) I doubt you pulled the table from across the room if your were trying to grab an object within ten feet of Issac. I've used TK to great fluid effect. Just be grateful it has combat functionality now. Dead Space's couldn't do anything like that.

Dude, I target something 5 feet away, and it either grabs a body to my right or left, or something FUCKING BEHIND ME.

Anyway, I don't call it horror for the same reason I don't call Aliens horror. Freaky looking enemies don't count for much when you respond to a monster by blowing its extremities off. There IS a middle ground, I've just yet to see it... self defense and even guns can be used in horror, I've just never seen anything balance it right.

Besides, Dead Space 2 is just fucking lazy anyway... their new attempts to scare me are borderline insulting. In the first two hours, I'd found more teddy bears and music boxes then in a kids shopping area... and I found a few of those, to. Its like the guys at EA thought "Oh, some bloody hand prints and some "Help me" messages not scary enough for you? Well, how about we populate The Sprawl with a population 70% underaged,m because playgrounds are creepy! ...and THEN cover it in bloody hand prints! =D"

No, just stop right there EA. Your lucky your games so fucking fun and touches on that all important 'variety' aspect that so few games manage these days. Your great when it comes to shit like suddenly hanging from a roof and having to defend myself like a side of beef, but just stop trying to scare me, your embarrassing yourself.

Wolfy

Quote from: Wolfy on February 22, 2011, 11:58:03 AM
Ok Sabby, I caved and bought Amnesia. Prepare to be blamed for my nightmares.

Ahem Sabby.

Also, the new Silent Hill is shaping up to be just what you're asking for.

Sabby

Sorry, didn't see that Wolfy xD Was too busy defending my opinions like a rabid Republican mofo.

Enjoying it so far? And yeah, somewhat interested in the new Silent Hill, just haven't played much of the series besides that stupid Homecoming.

Wolfy

I haven't started playing yet...I'm too scared...I need a thin, lanky snow-leapard to sit in my lap while I play. T-T

Sabby

D'awww... *squeezes him close* See? Told ya all I'd get him ^^

Wolfy

Shuush..you haven't gotten me yet. ;p I don't see a bed anywhere. xD

Sabby

I'm at the part where...
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
your on the kids play stage (ooohh, spooky) and when you hack the thing a bunch of kids run out and one of those bat things starts Necromorphing corpses. So I've set up a mine on the stage with that container that explodes as a Stasis field. Theres another mine near the tables, a third one cutting off the entrance of the second wave, and those three corpses? Chilling around a fourth mine ^^

They should bait the little bastard to a quick death.

Wolfy

Ya know, Sabby, I don't see you around the Kennel that often..you know, your own topic. lol

Anyway..along with Amnesia I also bought the First Left4Dead, World of Goo, and Dead Money for Fallout New Vegas. :D

Brandon

Still playing wow and boy is it pissing me off. I have to admit Cataclysm made leveling from 1-60 fun, it was actually fun! Outland, well I always liked outland and it didnt change so its still as good as I remember (although most people seem to think its the worst leveling content. Then there was Northrend and I had severly mixed feelings about it, some of it was really really cool and some of it was really really really bad. Now I sit merrily in the Cataclysm zones. Mount Hyjal, Vashjir, and Uldum were awesome (although Deepholm and Twilight highlands not so much)! Most of the dungeons were pretty cool too with unique bosses. Now Ive finished off heroics and my troll mage is rocking all superior 346+ gear and Ive even applied to a raiding guild, been running with them for about a week now.

Im sure people are thinking, well then whats the problem? Well its 2 things...well maybe 3. The first is, theres no challenge in raiding or even heroics for me unless I get stuck with a lackluster group (poor groups just leave). So far every boss in blackwing descent is down and lacked any kind of challenge and the same thing has happened for all but the last boss in Bastion of Twilight (we havnt even attempted Sinestra yet). Compared to the other mages in my guild Im undergeared and yet Im outperforming them in survivability and often damage. This just isnt raiding to me, theres no challenge in it and no sense of accomplishment when you do down a boss anymore, its just farming. I guess at best the raiding content seems poorly constructed with no sense of challenge or accomplishment

The second thing is its more of the same. When I quit wow Burning crusade still had that new expansion smell on it and my guild had just downed Illidan. Of course back then hunters (the class I was playing at the time) werent wanted in raids which was a dealbreaker to me, when I cant raid at all I dont associate myself with those people. Still thats 3 years I was gone and the game feels exactly the same as when I left. It has consistancy, Ill give it that, but with no unique innovations since I left. Its just the same game I had played 2 years prior to BC

The third thing is PVP is also as lackluster and imbalanced as ever. The terror of scarlet crusade Battlegrounds has been gone for 3 years and Im still tearing it up with very little challenge in PVP. Im a fire mage and I just seem to own everyone. So Im thinking blizzard really needs to buff the other classes
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Frost

Between Homefront and Crysis 2 , I am going for Homefront, only reason is that it a new game with no prior so good to see what it has to offer the reviews so far are good.

Inkidu

Still playing Alpha Protocol. I'm a little mad at it. I'm fighting a guy twice my age in hand to hand combat and he kicks my ass. Martial arts is one of my specialties damn it.

So, I'm going to render what I think is a balanced look at Alpha Protocol. Is it a bad game? Technically speaking yes. The mechanics of a game that requires a lot more of a soft touch for sneaking and what not. The mechanics (not the rpg elements) range from bad to broken at times. Mix in a bunch of Obsidian's usual bugs and you have a bad time brewing.

The planing of the game is also very disappointing. Basically the level design is linear. There are a few subtle variations on certain objectives but all and all you can get from point a to be in simple terms. The other thing is that the game is not set up to be played by every class of character. Basically you can blow through seventy-five percent of the levels as a soldier and get it all done, and what missions require sneaking you can avoid by doing others. Where it's not set up for characters of other kinds is boss fights. (Example of my geriatric fist fighter in Rome). The stealth guy who never learns a weapon is screwed. The stealth guy who learns pistol is only mildly screwed. You need a shotgun or an assault rifle in any game you play.

Obsidian is the black sheep of the gaming industry and it really shows in this. The story is good, your character is a total tool but you can get over that. Still blaring technical issues and bugs abound. Because of this substandard approach Obsidian takes to video games I think they were right in not slating a sequel. It is a game that would only appeal to a certain number of people and lacks all the qualities of many games you find on the market today.

Also really kind of unrelated. I went to Rome first after Saudi Arabia, but I'm really not seeing how my missions change depending on how I complete them. Sure little things change, but it's hardly as dynamic as I thought it would be.