The uninvited travel companions

Started by Drace, June 28, 2019, 11:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drace

Friday ...Finally.. Actually it has been a long month work wise. Not only busy but found out a long term friend is quite ill. Walking out to old faithful... always starts and gets me home...I think then feel for my work buddy who is quite ill by sight but acknowledges he is just fine. At the turn of the key I hear the old familiar growl and watch the tach bounce up to 1200.. then as i day dream just a moment and its warmed up. Off i go wanting to set a new worlds record for leaving works lot but just old lady plonking out of the lot. Only 7 folks work in our building and the lot is gravel and dirt. We are a quite cherished group but our surroundings are not cherished. Living alone for the last four years lends me the ability to choose and just do as i wish after work.. Got to pay the bills and oh yes that day I drive to a coffee shop instead of work..coming soon. Tonight I am feeling melancholy.. At a company paid lunch I noticed a good friend / manager from another division was looking way not himself or body type. Shop talk led me to the re realization my friend was quite ill. Off I drove towards home.. Home.. There is a dictionary look up .... Thinking back..at my age most families are sharing so much.
Me .. realigning my life with reality..now single and not willing to go there again...
Walking into my empty but not welcoming home i kicked off my shoes.. Got some water and plopped down on my bed.. A 10 minute rest after work makes for a good evening. As I lay there I thought about going out and away from the usual.. The words of a friend rang in my mind as I debated with no one really my mind was made up.
Showered and dressed old faithful started and down the road we went.. far from where we normally go.. to a light in the darkness.. I pulled in the lot.. checked the door sign to make sure i would not be run out on a 10 minute rail. The place was so relaxed... as my eyes roamed the room unknowling i replied yea IPA on tap.. Holding the tall thin beer goblet I sat and collected my thoughts.. The band played on... Women and men came and went.. It seemed I was lost in time for just a moment.. but I so cherished that moment.. suddenly I realized a couple hours had gone by.. I found myself walking to my car..Strange .. The woman I noticed who I felt a connection too was walking to her suv too. We had not met.. but eyes had glanced... Then I woke up... alone in some room?..some space better described.. I had no idea where I was.. Later I would discover the woman I noticed had also joined my fate.. by chance or grand scheme.. We were traveling not on a highway but through space..