Oriental Fantasy Rp (freeform)

Started by Darthvegeta800, June 14, 2008, 10:02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darthvegeta800

I've been pondering on some possible ways to implement an Oriental Fantast rp.
Basically Feudal Japan with a fantasy edge (Oni, goblins, magic,...) and perhaps some chinese Imperial edges.
Would there be anyone interested if i started a small rp in such a setting.

A few ideas i had was:

- Take the Throne of Darkness videogame and give it a twist, expand on the world. Basically the new Emperor has become utterly corrupted and taken over by the Oni Lord. And the survivors of one or more Clans undertake a quest (or quests) to stop him.
- Another possibility is to bring in good old Oda Nobunaga as Shogun who kills the feeble Emperor and establishes a tyranny. The daughter survives though and flees, aided by a select group of heroes and heroines.
- Seven Samurai meets Lord of the Rings -> A group of heroes travels the Empire offering their aid against the troubles that plague the people.

Basically i was thinking of having a band of heroes usually and a villain and his concubine/minions. Preferably with a twist during or at the end of the story.

Each hero(ine) would be an archetype. The kensai (swordmaster), the tactician, the brute, the Shugenja (mage), the ninja, the rifleman, the lord (or lady),... .

And the evil/good caste to be roughly 50-50 male-female. The plot would be a mix of minor intrigue, a hint of treachery, classic action and a firm undertone of romance. And hopefully a satisfying final combat against a common foe.

I can work something out depending on the level of interest and number of players.

Adere

I'd like to be part of the band of hero's if this gets more people ^__^

Darthvegeta800

Excellent miss. ^^
If more people are interested in a fantasy Japan setting we'll work out details on plot/style etc.

HairyHeretic

I could be interested. What kind of 'power level' you looking at? Realistic / historical, with no magic? L5R, low magic? Wuxia style?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Darthvegeta800

I'm pondering on choosing between:
- Diablo-style (like Throne of Darkness)
- Samurai Warriors over the top feel but low on magic
- Historical fantasy (so Lotr in feel)
- Low-Magic, high action/blood

Escafel

You snagged my interest at the word 'Rifleman'.

and I've been playing so much Dynasty Warriors that I'm already kinda in the mood.
Surrender, or die in obscurity!

Darthvegeta800

*chuckles* Yes well if you ever played Onimusa Tactics or Samurai Warriors you might understand what i mean.
Basically an expert with the imperfect firearms used in Feudal Japan. Depending on how 'fantasy' the setting turns out... maybe a bit more unrealistic too ;)

Love your Kane avatar btw. Nod Rules!

Escafel

I've played Shogun TW, and Samurai Warriors, so i'm good with either aspect of action.

and of course. I bring the Technology of Peace, for our glorious tiberium future.

Darthvegeta800

Aah Shogun Total War, good game. I prefer Rome Total War in the series though.
STW was still a bit too lacking. Too much rock - paper -scissors at times.

Indeed. The Hand of Nod will hold the world in it's loving grip!

Escafel

Well, shogun is the oldest in the series. extremely innovative for its time, though.
plus you can't tell me it wasn't hilariously awesome when you finally got your kensai, and he won a battle on his own.

Darthvegeta800

Lol ^^
I didn't play it too long. When i got it it was already pretty old and i just ended up too involved in some other games. I'm big on Japanese History though. I also got the sequel Medieval Total War but strangely that one refused to play.

Escafel

yeah. my MTW is giving me trouble. it'll only play for a little while before dumping me back to the window's screen.

Darthvegeta800

*nods* Well let's stop discussing games here *chuckles* I'm spamming my own thread!

Escafel

is spamming the same as coversating while waiting for people to come join in?

Darthvegeta800

Lol we can have the conversation by pm. It's not very easy for newcomers to find important posts if they first have to skim through an entire convo on videogames. :p

Escafel

HairyHeretic

I'm afraid I've not played any of those video games, so can't offer much there. I have been playing L5R since 1st ed, and enjoy wuxia movies, so could happily play within either of those styles without much effort. The wuxia would be a lot more fun mind you.

Are you keeping it pure human, or do you intend to have the likes of the shapeshifters (kitsune for instance) along with the group?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Adere

I haven't played any of those video games.But I've still got a basic idea, it would be like Feudal Japan time, and something kinda like Inuyasha, only not o.O;

With a bit of magic, but not to the point that it's god modding.