Riverglade - freeform adventure/fantasy - 6/29 update

Started by Envious, April 09, 2018, 10:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Envious

These villagers are sick of being disappointed by the hero and they aren't going to wait to be saved anymore!

Profiles
OOC
IC

We have started, but it will be easy to join in without needing to do any catch-up reading. Characters are meeting at the Whispering Wood entrance to venture into the mountains to collect a rare herb. It's an easy way to introduce your character!

Post your character sheet here if you are interested in joining!

I would love to see more female characters.

Welcome to Riverglade, a small village against Westwind Mountains and surrounded by the Whispering Woods. A stream runs between Westwind and Riverglade that is joined further south by other streams and they come together to make Roaring River. The village began as a mining encampment that boomed and quickly bust. There were precious gems and minerals in the mountain, but they were too dangerous to get to. Most people left, but those who did not turned the encampment into a village. There is little of interest in the area and it takes a full 4 days of travel to get to the nearest town. There is very little interaction with the outside world - the area is remote and the terrain is difficult. Tax collectors don't even come each year to collect duties for High King Liot because Riverglade the time and difficulty is not worth the reward.

The villagers are a quiet and uninteresting lot who work hard. Due to the abundant natural resources and the small size of the village, Riverglade is self-sustaining. Most residents are farmers of some sort who dally in specialized trades when time permits. There is no official law or leadership. Due to its remote location, it's fairly common for people of questionable character to turn up to hide out in the area. They villagers dispense their own justice if these people extend their unsavory practices upon the people of Riverglade.

Some time ago, the village was beset by a creature known as a Terror. Terrors are foul creatures that prefer to come in the dead of night to cause visions of terror which they convert into energy to feed upon. Sleeping villagers experience nightmares. Villagers who are awake become paralyzed and experience hallucinations. Terrors do not outright attack anyone. In fact, they flee when confronted. They come to cause terror and feed upon the energy and leave. Which seems like it's not too bad, but now villagers are experiencing the hallucinations when the Terror isn't present and it's causing a problem with the villagers - hallucinations, paranoid behavior, etc. It's suspected that it's a side-effect of being constantly fed upon by the creature.

The villagers have called for heroes to defend them. They pooled together resources into a handsome reward. The first hero to answer the call went mad. The next disappeared. The third was found dead in the river. The villagers upped the ante, putting together everything they had to give a fee fit for a king. This caused groups of adventurers to come. The groups followed in the footsteps of their solo predecessors and were found dead, never found at all, or went mad. Eventually, people stopped answering their call.

This game follows a group of painfully average, fed-up villagers who decide to take matters into their own hands and slay the beast that is terrorizing the village. This is an origin story of how they eventually become heroes!

The setting is a generic fantasy world with magic and dragons and quests and warriors and all that jazz, but our characters live in a remote area of the world far removed from anything interesting. All players at the start of the story are human and non-magical.

At the start of this game, villagers will get the news that no Heroes have heeded their call for help for the third month in a row - they know that they have been abandoned. This isn't even just for help with the Terror. No one is coming to slay the giant spiders who are blocking the river with their dangerous webs. No one is coming to slay the Ogre who is stealing the livestock. No one is coming to help with the influx of bandits who have come to their town. No one is coming at all. The village has garnered a bad reputation with the disaster that has befallen those who attempt to slay the Terror and people have simply stopped responding to their requests for aide.

Some villagers have already left. Others refuse to leave the only property that they'll ever be able to own. Then there's the minority. The ones who are fed up with waiting on someone to save them and are slowly building their courage to confront the beast instead of resigning themselves to whatever fate the Gods deal them.

Confronting the Terror is the season finale. In-between, there will be all sorts of adventures that the characters go on.

1. Free form roleplay
2. Quest/adventure based
3. 1-3 posts per week min/max
4. Third person, past tense writing
5. There will be time-skips if things start to get stale which means that on occasion, your interaction with another player is forcibly faded to black. I will let you know before I do that so you have an opportunity to wrap things up.

The profile isn't very interesting or even particularly detailed. If you're interested, please post within this thread and I'll comment to approve you or request changes. This is centered around quests which take us out of the village so if you want to be in on the action and interact with people, consider creating a character that is going to develop into one of the heroes that saves the day.

[float=right][img]http://<safe for work image link goes here>[/img][/float]
[b]Character:[/b]
[b]Sex:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b] 18+
[b]Family:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]History:[/b] This is more of an OOC reference for myself and other people to weave our characters together for us to reference when writing. Remember, this is a small village so all of the characters are going to know each other. What is your character known for? What drama have they had?

As GM I am giving all writers who join the liberty to insert themselves into the histories of other players. For example, if you write: "Envious was a part of THE GROUP who tossed cow dung into Cranky Old Man's house," then you are signalling that other writers can claim that their character was a part of the group. If you write: "Envious went by herself to toss cow dung into Cranky Old Man's house," then the writer is signaling that it is a private act. I hope that's not confusing. I'm just hoping to quickly build up a semi-shared background for the players.

[b]If your character had a weapon, what would it be?[/b]
[b]If your character had a magical artifact, what would it do?[/b]

Character: Lumen
Sex: Female
Family: Lives with: Lunk 50yo (father), Lila 48yo (mother), Luna 5yo (daughter).
Personality: Easily irritated, brash, head-strong, big mouth.
History: Lunk is the closest thing the village has to a blacksmith. He repairs a random assortment of metal parts which usually takes the shape of broken farm equipment or tools. Lila, Lumen, and Luna help out, but their primary responsibility is tending to the sheep, which is a main (but not the only) supply of wool, milk, and cheese for the village. She believed the first boy who told her he loved her 9 months later, Luna was born. That boy turned out to be a lecherous prick and when Lumen found him naked with another girl behind the sheep barn, Lumen kicked his ass out! She is suspected of being responsible for spilling a sack of sheep shit in the harlot's home, but it was never confirmed. The whole affair was quite the scandal. She has quite the mouth and gets into arguments with people over the most mundane things, but it quickly blows over and is forgotten by both parties by the next day (usually). When she was younger, Lumen got into major trouble for punching a girl who was her friend in the face. She supposedly said something incredibly offensive, but both girls refused to say what had happened and are still cold towards each other to this day. Lumen likes to skinny dip in the stream with her friends and drink excessively at the Big Mama's house, a home-turned-tavern over the years where villagers come for her cooking or her readily available alcohol. How it's made is a family secret. It has become the central meeting spot for the village during times of crisis due to its many tables and chairs.

If your character had a weapon, what would it be? A hammer!
If your character had a magical artifact, what would it do? Cut through anything.

Whowhatwhere

Totally interested. Sometimes, systems get in the way!
The O's and the A's --- AFK every weekend

AntheiaS

Vlexia

If you cannot honor a No, then you certainly could never honor a Yes.

Envious

I am thrilled that so many are interested. Hopefully, you still feel that way after reading the update! I did some slight tweaking from top to bottom with minor details, so you'll want to re-read through everything. After posting this, I'll begin working on my profile. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Vlexia

Quote from: Twisted iN Tux on April 10, 2018, 09:42:25 PM
You still have my ax, and maybe my sword, as well as my bow! *wink*

Applause for the LOTR references lol

Envious

Character: Lumen
Family: Lives with: Lunk 50yo (father), Lila 48yo (mother), Luna 5yo (daughter).
Personality: Easily irritated, brash, head-strong, big mouth.
History: Lunk is the closest thing the village has to a blacksmith. He repairs a random assortment of metal parts which usually takes the shape of broken farm equipment or tools. For a time he had an apprentice, Fabrizio, but that didn't work out. Lumen helps out from time to time, but her primary responsibility is tending to the sheep with Lila and Luna. It is is a main (but not the only) supply of wool, milk, and cheese for the village. She believed the first boy who told her he loved her 9 months later, Luna was born. That boy turned out to be a lecherous prick and when Lumen found him naked with another girl behind the sheep barn, Lumen kicked his ass out! She is suspected of being responsible for spilling a sack of sheep shit in the harlot's home, but it was never confirmed. The whole affair was quite the scandal. She has quite the mouth and gets into arguments with people over the most mundane things, but it quickly blows over and is forgotten by both parties by the next day (usually). When she was younger, Lumen got into major trouble for punching Jiranå, an ex-friend, in the face. She supposedly said something incredibly offensive, but both girls refused to say what had happened and are still cold towards each other to this day. Lumen likes to skinny dip in the stream with her friends and drink excessively at the Big Mama's house, a home-turned-tavern over the years where villagers come for her cooking or her readily available alcohol. How it's made is a family secret. It has become the central meeting spot for the village during times of crisis due to its many tables and chairs. She tends to hang out there with Ianto and sulks when he gives moon-eyes to Jiranå despite having no romantic attraction towards him.

If your character had a weapon, what would it be? A hammer!
If your character had a magical artifact, what would it do? Cut through anything.

If it's bold, feel free to write your character into it =]

Elf

This looks very interesting. I'll take a closer look when I get home from work in the morning and see what I can come up with for a character.

Whowhatwhere

Quote from: Twisted iN Tux on April 10, 2018, 02:39:18 PM
That's actually one of the main reasons this caught my eye. Not that there's anything wrong with systems, but, right now, I'm not in the mood for them, but I am in the mood for some fantasy fun!

Agreed. Heck, I run D&D in my home, but I find that on here, I prefer something a bit (understatement!) more flexible.

Whowhatwhere

Here's a first draft of a character. More will be added once I can get some interactions. Also, I have a possible link to Lunk (Lumen's father) if you would like.

Character: Fabrizio ("of Riverglade")
Sex: Male
Family: Caligari (father), Elambra (mother), Silva (older sister), Eidala (older sister), Hastur (younger brother), Enzo (uncle), countless uncles, aunts, cousins, nieces, and nephews.
Personality: Once a charming, boisterous alpha male, Fabrizio came back from battle reticent and guarded, though not shy. Deep in his psyche, he carries damage from what he witnessed during the war. This mental scarring - expressed by his existential angst, anxiety, and depression - is the cause of most of his problems. He seems proud of his previous life as a soldier, but remains humble for his more recent failures, which results in deflection of conversations away from him. As a result, he is "a good listener", but never solves his own problems. He does not accept advice from others; not in a belligerent way, but with an inability to see how it would help. He yearns to turn his life around, but he must discover the fears inside himself that keep him from succeeding.

History: Fabrizio came home from his service to the king 9 years ago, a veteran of one of the king's far away battles to quell a rebellion. As he tells it, he "performed well enough". He brought home a service medallion, his pay, his armor, and his sword. The armor went on a stand in the living room of his new house, the sword was mounted over the fireplace, and he tried to return to a normal life.

He tried to be a cobbler; his shoes were horrible.
He tried to be a blacksmith; his apprenticeship (to Lunk?) was ended after a month.
He tried to be a farmer; nothing grew.
He tried to be a brewer; everything he produced was sour.
He tried to be a gemsmith; his hands were not steady enough.

Eventually, he got work as a mere unskilled farmhand on his uncle Enzo's farm. He would join other workers at night at the tavern, drinking heavily and telling the few tales of the "war" over and over. He would don his armor in private to relive his past successes, then berate himself for "living in the past".

He is the only family member his age that has not married or had kids, to his shame. He has dallied with loose women and prostitutes, but he had no lasting affection for any of them. He is attracted to Jiranå, but he hesitates mentioning it (or even publicly admitting it) due to his unassuming nature.

He ignored the previous calls for adventurers to deal with the Terror that was vexing Riverglade. His uncle's (and mother's) insistence that he stay focused on productive work drowned out any drive he had to adventure again. Only now, when the villagers themselves have to take action, did he gather the resolve to volunteer. Indeed, Enzo sent Fabrizio rather than go himself! Even the decision to go has lifted a burden from Fabrizio's shoulders. He eagerly awaits what comes next!

If your character had a weapon, what would it be? The sword over his fireplace, which he would readily take up again, if only to give his life some semblance of his past successes.
If your character had a magical artifact, what would it do? He'd have a lodestone that directed him to where he was most needed.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

More Pictures

Vlexia

Character: Jiranå
Family: Philip Burnam (father, deceased), mother is unknown. She lives alone.
Personality: Mischievous but kind, bold, generous and very social.
History: Her grandparents were originally part of the miners who were attracted to Riverglade for the gems, but when it busted and most people left they turned their home into the Big Mama’s Tavern and stayed with the rest of the ones brave enough to as well. Her grandmother was known for her generous cooking and portion sizes, hence the name. They had a son, Philip, who when he reached a reasonable age left Riverglade thinking the town too small and the community too secluded and sheltered. It was years later when he returned, penniless and destitute, with a small child, an illegitimate daughter, with an exotic Eastern woman he met in his travels.

Love was there, for when the unknown mother died of fever, for the betterment of his offspring he returned home for support. The biracial child had some initial hardships but the town soon got over them as she was part of a line that established Riverglade in the beginning.

Working in the tavern, she met Lumen, and they started as friends but grew steadily apart after a big fight. They are still cordial towards one another, but there is cold distance in emotional interchanges. Jiranå helped when Luna was born, knowing from her own experience of being a woman born out of wedlock, which helped things enough to be civil and not so hostile. She has a romantic interest in Fabrizio, but her self-misgivings of her mixed heritage make her feel unwelcome sometimes and thinks herself undesirable.

Tavern Menu

Small Fare: 2 coppers                        Center Roasted Special: 8 coppers
             Bread with Salted Butter                     Mondays & Tuesdays: Spiced Chicken
             Hummus with Olives and Oil               Wednesdays: Blackened Salted Trout
             Fresh Fruit Bowl                                   Thursdays: Lemon and Rosemary Chicken
             Roasted Vegetables                              Fridays & Saturdays: Honey Roasted Pork
             Oatmeal                                                 Sundays: Spit Roasted Lamb Leg
             Rice Bowl
             Cheese
             Cob of Buttered Corn

Soup: 3 coppers                                                               Drinks
               Mondays & Tuesdays: Tomato Bisque                  Cold Pressed Juices: Pear, Orange,
               Wednesdays: Market Vegetable Stew                                Apple: 2 coppers
               Thursdays: Beef Stew                                          Cup of Lumen’s Ale: 1 copper; Pint: 3
               Fridays & Saturdays: Chicken and Dumplings         Cup of House Wine: 2 coppers; Pitcher: 4
               Sundays: Market Vegetable Stew                          Sweetened Lemonade: 1 copper
                                                                                          Water is Free

If your character had a weapon, what would it be? A thin blade is strapped to her calf under her clothing. She’s not a fighter majorly but is not afraid to finish one if it’s started with her.
If your character had a magical artifact, what would it do? Something that heals, perhaps a potion or a stone that can heal any injury or take away an ailment.

Elf

Character: Ianto
Family: Father, Mother, 2 older brothers and a younger sister
Personality: Mischievous, playful, compassionate, mildly sociable but likes to be alone.
History:
Ianto's grandparents had been among the first prospectors that helped to settle Riverglade and he and his family have never left. Though his grandparents have passed on his father still maintains the pig farm supplying the village with pork. He never liked tending to the pigs though and whenever he could get out of such duties he was either practicing with his bow or out hunting. One thing he did learn and take well to was the butchering of the animals. Now when anybody in the village needs an animal butchered they call on him.

As Ianto grew into his teen years he developed a crush on Jiranå so started spending time at the tavern. He would and still does whatever basic jobs needed doing there from chopping and hauling firewood to washing dishes. Though it earns him a few coins he really does it just to be close to the older exotically beautiful owner. Though due to the age difference and his status as the youngest male of his family he has never acted on that crush.

Spending so much time at the tavern he has become one of Lumen's drinking friends, though he has never joined her in skinning dipping in the stream. Using his skills as a hunter though he has watch from stealth many times. He has also been known to join Fabrizio in drinking there and still loves to hear the war stories even though has heard them many times already.

His work as the village butcher generally earns him a portion of the meat. This he takes him to his family or sells to Jiranå to be served. Whenever he has a successful hunt he always brings it to the tavern for butchering offering her the best cuts before selling anything else or taking the meat home.

If your character had a weapon, what would it be? Re-curved longbow and hunting arrows
If your character had a magical artifact, what would it do? Invisibility

Envious

I love these profiles that are coming in! I'll make edits to mine to fill in some of those character links we've made =]

Once we get a few more I'll start a thread.

I've never played a system game, so I don't feel comfortable joining them. I don't remember E being so system heavy years ago when I first joined and I got tired if waiting for one to pop up, so I thought I'd try my hand at it.

ITBrewer

I just came across this, I'm interested if there is still room

nailcrosser

Character: Giluirn "Gil" Rosenthal
Family: Pavel (father), Sira (mother)
Personality: Crass but knows when to be personable, rebellious, inquisitive, eccentric, outsider, some say snobbish but he means well.
History:
The Rosenthals are Riverglade's (relatively) wealthiest family. Pavel once served as court lawyer to a city lord, but after some unscrupulous and downright criminal dealings, Pavel found himself in need of a new home far from the public eye. He paid the villagers of Riverglade a handsome sum to build Rose Manor, right at the edge of the forest. The manor's furnishings are fine but sparse; some of Pavel's moving wagons were robbed or destroyed. In spite of this misfortune, Pavel was Riverglade's most eligible bachelor and married the lovely, well-educated Sira. They lived comfortably and without need for work. They turned to religion to fill their lives of leisure and are seen as spiritual authorities in the village.

They bore one son, Giluirn. From an early age, Giluirn was fiercely independent and disobedient. He had no interest in spirituality and frequently sneaked off to the wilderness to explore. The mines were his favorite. He had few friends and would always talk them into going to forbidden places. Skinny dipping with Lumen is one of his favorite activities. He fantasized often of starting his own village, free from the eyes of adults and gods, in the darkest reaches of the Whispering Forest. He resented his pompous home life and name, and asked people to call him Gil.

Gil is fascinated by the natural order of the world and the mysteries that surround it. His father spoiled him with books, which Gil read voraciously. As he grew older, Gil found ways to smuggle banned books into the village. He keeps a secret library in the wine cellar of Big Mama's Tavern, which only Jiranå and maybe a few others know about. Gil always planned to leave Riverglade, but when he was 19, his father became terribly ill. Gil studied medicine and helped his mother tend to Pavel. Gil accepted his fate in Riverglade and knew that one day, he'd be able to see the world.

When the Terror came, Sira was one of the first to suffer. She soon spiraled into near madness. She won't leave Rose Manor, as she believes the sky is burning and the demons will drag her away. Pavel's condition is only getting worse. He stays on his roof at night with a spyglass, searching for the Terror. He has become borderline obsessed with the creature and aches for the chance to study one. Perhaps if he leaves Riverglade, he can find one, along with a cure for his family.

If your character had a weapon, what would it be? Ornamented crossbow.
If your character had a magical artifact, what would it do? Transform materials.

Envious

Looks great!

I'll put up a thread this weekend to get us started =]

AntheiaS

Working on mine today, and should have it up in a bit!  :)

Elf

Quote from: Envious on April 12, 2018, 11:03:28 PM
Looks great!

I'll put up a thread this weekend to get us started =]

Awesome! Can hardly wait.

Quote from: AntheiaS on April 13, 2018, 09:52:23 AM
Working on mine today, and should have it up in a bit!  :)

Looking forward to seeing it.

AntheiaS

Character: Alyona Corodin
Sex:  Female
Family: Cebrail (father), Valora (aunt), Ravil (uncle), Zifa (cousin)
Personality: Quiet, until you get to know her, loyal, steadfast, yearns for something more
History:

Alyona and her father Cebrail, a carpenter, came to the village a few years ago for the annual fair, and never left.  They currently live with her uncle Ravil, aunt Valora, and cousin Zifa.  Alyona helps her father out at his shop most days, and has turned into a decent carpenter herself.  And while Cebrail has carved out a good life for himself in the quiet village, and has a hope that Alyona will take over his shop one day, Alyona yearns for more.    Her father often jokingly blames her favorite book "The Forgotten Bards of the Baronies" for her unquenchable thirst for travel.  As a, child she would often pretend that she was a wandering bard, spinning tales to delight royals in far off cities.

She was slow to make friends in the village...until one day she caught Gil smuggling books into the village.  She had been wandering through the village late at night, enjoying the quiet.   Pausing by one of the many wells, she saw a figure slipping between the buildings, trying to stay in the shadows.  Unable to resist, she followed, and came upon him stashing some books in the wine cellar of Big Mama's Tavern.  Rather than running away, she made her presence known, and offered to help, in exchange for full access to the library.  From time to time, she will even accompany him on his trips to acquire more books for the library.

Through Gil, Alyona slowly became friends with Lumen and the others.  She dotes on Lumen's daughter Luna, and will often bring her small trinkets from her trips outside the village.  She is curious about Fabrizio,  having never met a soldier before moving to the village.  While she doesn't drink, she will often sit with Ianto in the tavern, and listen to Fabrizio tell tales from his time in the army.

Alyona was determined not to stand by helplessly as the Terror struck the village.  She volunteered to help care for the villagers that were no longer able to help themselves, doing what she could for them.  When the villagers decided to band together to try to fight on their own, Alyona was one of the first to volunteer, despite her family's protests.  There was no way she was going to let the opportunity for a grand adventure slip through her hands!

If your character had a weapon, what would it be? A staff
If your character had a magical artifact, what would it do? A bottomless bag

AntheiaS

Oops, that picture turned out to be bigger than I thought it would be!

Elf

Deathnote

Character: Corvus "Crow" IV of Riverglade
Family: Isaac III (father), Silva (mother), six brothers, six sisters, uncles, aunts, and countless cousins
Personality: Mischievous, daydreamer, eccentric, tries to be friendly, probably has a few screws loose in his head
History:

Crow's grandparents were among the miners who helped establish Riverglade in the beginning.  Crow's grandpa on his father's side of the family, Isaac II was close friends with Ianto and Jiranå's grandparents.  Shortly after the small village was founded, Isaac II became the local undertaker and mortician.  Crow's father, Isaac III would eventually take over the profession.  As for Crow, he ended up becoming the go-to gravedigger.  When he's not digging a grave for a funeral, he's tending to the graveyard via landscaping and maintaining the tombstones.

Crow is also the unofficial village prankster.  With his trusty shovel, he's dug thousands of pitfalls in the past, more than half of which has claimed a victim.  When he was a child, his favourite target was Lumen, whom he had a crush on.  After reaching his teenage years, however, he's pretty much stopped pulling pranks on her.  Everyone else, however, was still fair game.  He once hammered one person's furniture to the ceiling.  He also somehow placed Ianto's bed in the middle of a pig pen, while he was still sleeping in it!  Another favourite past time of his was regularly stealing yet another person's wallet on a daily basis.  Of course, as soon as they realized their wallet was missing, Crow would return it right away.  It was all in good fun and he was no thief, after all.  Of course, they got him back for it more than once, such as one time when they trapped him in a coffin for about an hour.  It's also not always just for himself, though.  Whenever anyone wishes to get revenge on someone else, they would usually go to Crow for help.

When he's not pulling pranks on the other villagers, Crow would also regularly hunt with his friend, Ianto.  While Crow is somewhat proficient with the bow, he prefers to set traps for his prey.  He could make a rabbit snare in seconds in his sleep ever since he was a kid.  Since then, he's upgraded to net traps, pitfalls, and swinging logs.  He could also put together a block-and-tackle, which he learned about from a book he once borrowed from Gil.  Of course, his hunts don't also go very well.  When confronted with a wild beast who somehow managed to avoid his traps, his first instinct would be to flee at the first sign of danger.  He was once chased by an angry wild boar through the forest.  Fortunately, Ianto was around to bail him out.  Crow would later pay back Ianto by helping them get back at some prick.

Another hobby of Crow's is exploring dangerous and forbidden places with friends, such as the mines.  Going to such places was usually Gil's idea, who would usually talk Crow into coming along.  Crow's a bit of a known coward who gets scared easily, especially if he finds himself alone in an unfamiliar place.  He also likes to skinny dip with Lumen... for obvious reasons.  He's usually one of the people who regularly got into arguments with Lumen over the most mundane things.  He's one of the regulars at Big Mama’s Tavern, where he drank and hung out with friends, such as Fabrizio, Lumen, Ianto, and Alyona.

Crow would also sometimes come up with harebrained ideas, such as stacking a bunch of chairs and tables on top of each other in an effort to reach the moon.  For some reason, his friends helped him out.  Another thing he attempted to do was make the world's largest meat pie.  He somehow convinced a couple of his friends to help out with that one.

If your character had a weapon, what would it be? A shovel... no, wait!  A bear trap on a chain!  Okay, fine.  A shovel.
If your character had a magical artifact, what would it do? Blow stuff up

Deathnote

You can adjust the size by changing [img] into [img width=210]

Replace 210 with whatever number you want to try.

Elf

@Deathnote

You can put Ianto in as the person who's bed you placed in the pig pen. It was done with the help of his older brothers. Ianto would then have found trapping Corvus in a coffin quite an amusing way of getting back at him.

nailcrosser

To clarify - Gil's secret library is full of arcane secrets, ancient knowledge, and blasphemous ideas. I'm aiming for Gil to become a bonafide mage with rogue-ish elements as the story develops.

@Deathnote - so the trap books are in his regular home library. If Crow wanted to know the partial history of necromancy, that's a secret library book.

AntheiaS

Quote from: Deathnote on April 13, 2018, 07:27:39 PM
You can adjust the size by changing [img] into [img width=210]

Replace 210 with whatever number you want to try.

Thank you! 

Envious

@Deathnote: I think it would be fun if Lumen was the (older) girl he had a crush on. It gives them a reason to bicker =D

It looks like we've all been tweaking our characters, so I'll give them all another look-over tonight. I'm sure everyone is awesome!

Deathnote

@Elf - Okay, done!  ^_^

@nailcrosser - Okay.  Still kinda want Crow to know about the secret library, though, if that's alright with you.

@Envious - I was also considering being the one who supplied Lumen with the sack of sheep shit. :p

Elf

Quote from: Deathnote on April 13, 2018, 09:58:49 PM
@Elf - Okay, done!  ^_^

@nailcrosser - Okay.  Still kinda want Crow to know about the secret library, though, if that's alright with you.

@Envious - I was also considering being the one who supplied Lumen with the sack of sheep shit. :p

I saw. Also I think the most logical person to have rescued Crow from the boar would be Ianto.

That's some crush for him to be happy to collect the sheep shit for Lumen from her own fields.

@nailcrosser - I think Ianto, seeing as he spends so much time at the tavern both working and relaxing, would also know about the secret library and helped with it. He however would have little interest in most of the books there.

Deathnote

Ah... must’ve missed the sheep herding part of that history. :p

He just helped out, then? :p

Envious

He just really likes Lumen!

I have an OOC thread up. Please take a look! I have some character roles up for grabs.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285887.msg14068761#msg14068761

nailcrosser

@Elf and Deathnote, okay, your guys know about the secret library. But if you want a book, it'll cost you a favor.

ITBrewer

naturally the last part of this week kicked my but, have I missed the boat?

Envious

Clicky - Profile Thread

@Whowhatwhere
@Vlexia
@Elf
@nailcrosser
@AntheiaS
@Deathnote

Please make your final edits and post your profile in the profile thread.

@ITBrewer: No! Please post a profile.

Envious

Envious

Still looking!

Easy to join. Hit me up with any questions you have.

Sagrell

Hey just wanted to submit my interest. Currently working on a character sheet, hope to have it posted in a bit. 

Envious

Sagrell

Character: Marius Vael
Family: Aela [Mother], Taern [Father], Valentia [younger sister], Fayea [younger sister], Luxia [youngest sister]

Personality: Quiet - though he opens up more among his friends and family, Focused, Calm and Collected, Protective, Family-oriented, Kind

History: Marius’ family claims a long heritage in Riverglade. His father’s family settled here when the village was founded, opening a woodworking and tool making shop that at first supplied Riverglade’s miners before shifting to supplying its farmers. They also performed more decorative work, like cabinet-making and engraving on the side for some of the more well-off villagers and people in the closest town. His mother’s family was likewise village old blood, having opened a gemsmithy not long after the village was established. They intended to cut and then sell the precious stones that the miners were expected to bring back, but the failure of mining enterprise meant there was little work for them. Soon after, they closed shop and were prepared to depart town, but by that time their only child, Aela had already fallen in love with a local woodworker boy Taern, and so the family made the decision to stay in Riverglade and lend their skills to their new in-law’s business. While far from being a cash cow, Taern’s family shop did well enough to ensure a comfortable life for his wife and their four eventual children, which included Marius. Though, the nature of Taern’s work, which included trips into the woods and long hours working on commissions for people in the next town over, meant that he was frequently absent early in Marius life. 

Marius grew up as the oldest of four children and the only boy, thus from a young age he had quite a bit of responsibility as the caretaker and part-time parent for his much younger sisters, especially with his father often away from the house. Such responsibility meant Marius matured much faster than many of the other children around his age. Such maturity came with a level of reservedness around those he wasn’t familiar with, and the large time he spent with his family led to the development of a strong family-oriented and protective nature. Largely confined to the house as young boy in order to take care of his mother and sisters, Marius found some measure of pleasure and escape in the small library his father accumulated. Tales of heroes saving the innocent and of adventures using their wits to outsmart monsters captured his young imagination. A childhood dream, Marius wished he could be one those shinning heroes he read about, using his might and his mind to save people.     

As Marius’ father grew older, he begun to spend more time at home and less on his craft, allowing the then teenage Marius more time to pursue his own passions and explore. Of course the first thing he did was fall victim to one of Corvus’ pranks, finding himself stuck in a pitfall trap he failed to notice, while his mind was focused on other things. Unfortunately, this became a regular habit, much to his own annoyance. Though not one for mindless pranks, Marius decided he would pull his own trick on Corvus. Tricking a trickster proved hard work, but his effort was finally rewarded when Corvus found himself wet and hanging upside down, foot caught in one of Marius’ carefully designed hunting traps. The experience helped Marius develop a grudging respect for Corvus’ skill and though starting on rocky ground, the two eventually became friends. Through Corvus’ Marius found himself introduced to a number of other villagers about the same age that he would go on to befriend. He enjoyed the likeminded company of Ianto and Alyona, though their first conversations were so “lively” one could hear crickets chirp. Still he enjoyed hunting with Ianto and Corvus and quite enjoyed the war tales of Fabrizio when they would go to the tavern, so much so that he carved, with his father’s help, his own lance to use for hunting and practice. Then there was Lumen, his diametric opposite in terms of personality. Though Marius found himself at first put off by her brash, loud and overly-forward nature, it steadily grew on him, especially as he spent more time with her and really got to know her. He would often come by with his younger sisters to play with and dote on her young daughter, Luna. It was a situation that Marius could personally appreciate and relate to. Over the last year, that appreciation and familiarity had turned into a romantic interest in Lumen, though he’s kept his cards close to his chest as far as that’s concerned.         

If your character had a weapon, what would it be? Spear/Lance
If your character had a magical artifact, what would it do? Instantly scan and identify people and creatures

Envious

Welcome to the party, Sagrell!

Please post your profile in the character thread and feel free to join the OOC chatter and begin roleplaying.

A close summary of what has happened: Fabrizio has suggested that all who are interested in defending the town meet up at Big Mama's Tavern at sunset. The sun has just set and most people have showed up. Lumen is notably absent after her rude outburst which left the impression that she thought it was a fools errand to undertake such a thing since all of the hired heroes have failed. Niladin is a visitor who arrived with Gil and is new to the village, so she will be out of place. Jiranå has announced free food and there are mugs and pitchers at the main character table for characters to pour their own drink if they want to.

Sagrell

Thanks for the warm welcome and helpful summary. I'll get the profile posted in the right spot and hop into the OCC and RP shortly.   

Envious

Hi Saika,

I am currently only recruiting nonmagical human characters.

Envious

Update; looking for more!

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Narianna

Ooo! I am very interested in this! I will gather a profile asap to post!

Envious

Can't wait to see it! If you need any help bringing your character into the fold, let us know! We'll be happy to fit you in with whatever ideas you have.

Narianna

Character: Aadya Bjorn
Sex: F
Family: Canute (Father), Brenna (Mother, deceased), Hakon (brother, 15)
Personality: Feisty, callous, jaded, earnest, hot-headed, loner
History: The Bjorn family own a small farm on the outskirts of the village, which they'd inherited from Canute's father. Canute's father had been a soldier in another town, but came to settle in Riverglade after he'd married and had Canute. Canute's father taught him everything about the sword as he got older and Canute had an affinity for weaponry. He learned all about weapons crafting and became the blacksmith of the town at a young age. Upon selling his wares in a neighboring village, Canute met a beautiful and feisty shield maiden named Brenna. Canute returned home with Brenna as his wife and soon after she gave birth to Aadya. When she turned 5, Aadya began to help her mother on the farm and began dabbling in her teachings as a shield maiden. When Aadya was 8, Hakon was born, and she garnered many more farm responsibilities as her mother had to tend to her brother. When Hakon was just 5 and Aadya the tender age of 13, Brenna caught ill and died that winter. Aadya became angry and withdrawn, though she stepped up in the farming duties, as well as raising Hakon. As an oulet for Aadya's anger, Canute began training her in the ways of the sword. She practiced day and night, whenever she got the free time. She never socialized with others and only went into the village to sell the farm's goods or to buy necessities. When she turned 20, Canute began urging Aadya to find a lover and settle down, but Aadya was wholly uninterested. When the Terror arrived, Canute gifted many of his prized items to the Hero's bounty. Aadya begged her father to let her join the fight, but he refused, telling her to let the heroes handle it! But when the day came that it was apparent no hero would be able to put an end to this beast, Aadya left a note for her father and brother, and set out on her own journey.

If your character had a weapon, what would it be? Sword and shield
If your character had a magical artifact, what would it do? Added strength and critical hits

Elf

Welcome, Narianna. I like Aadya and hope to see her IC soon.

Narianna

Quote from: Elf on June 29, 2018, 02:47:23 AM
Welcome, Narianna. I like Aadya and hope to see her IC soon.

*squee* Hey, E! I can't wait!

Envious

You are coming in just as I am going out if town! I'll have a greater ooc presence than an ic presence until I get back to a computer. Feel free to join the group! We are at the entrance of the Whispering Wood getting ready to head out.

Narianna

Quote from: Envious on June 29, 2018, 11:08:58 AM
You are coming in just as I am going out if town! I'll have a greater ooc presence than an ic presence until I get back to a computer. Feel free to join the group! We are at the entrance of the Whispering Wood getting ready to head out.

Hey! No prob at all. I'm getting ready to go on vacay starting tomorrow but I'm going to do my best to post as often as I can. But I understand the struggles of posting while out of town. Thanks for the add! I'll look into Whispering Wood.

bubby

Envious

bubby

Quote from: Envious on June 29, 2018, 03:01:00 PM
Yes! Would love to have you join!

Excellent! I'll work on my char tomorrow. Thank you!