DnD 3.5 Interest Check / Brainstorming - Cursed Dice

Started by Theik, June 19, 2011, 01:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mysterica

http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=8899

Here you go.  That was really hard building a character as thought it was built by someone else.  Only one thing did I do like my normal self, and that is keep a high Cha and that all goes into the players want to build a confident, attractive character, very much unlike herself in real life...  Bit of a joke for when she is sucked into the other body.  Lol.  Anyways, I'm off to search for a pic for said player.

Chloe Milev

Ohmygosh, I love meta-roleplay.  I was browsing the group roleplays wanted against my judgment, and this looks awesome.  I'll have to keep strong in my other games to justify wanting to join this one too, if it isn't too full.   Unfortunately, or not, I was also interested in the "guy player experimenting with a female character" concept.  Maybe it was a group exercise in roleplaying new things.

Anyway, if there's a lot of magic types, I was thinking of something a little different, like a heavily armored halfling fighter or something.
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

TheGlyphstone

I'll jump in line for the 'very interested', though judging by the popularity, there's already far too many people versus player slots.

For a character, I think it'd be entertaining to play a 'that which he hates' type of person; a core-book purist who always insisted splatbooks were broken cheese, or constantly decried psionics as overpowered while ignoring wizards and clerics, who gets 'cast' as exactly the sort of character he always considered horribly munchkinly (but, naturally, isn't overpowered at all). Stack on the 'Edition grognard' stereotype as well, an older player (and character) constantly complaining about how the rules used to be better.

Quote from: Mysterica on June 24, 2011, 05:09:34 AM
A swordsage is a martial class who instead of getting raging abilities like a barbarian or feats like a fighter they get techniques and stances to boost their martial skills.  So something like rather than making a knight you make an anime character.

Worth a read - hilarious, and hopefully a low-CL Dispel Bias in the process :D

Rufei

Oh god. I too will throw my hat into the fray here - I might be too late as well! I'm thinking the powergamer of the group, who eventually comes to realize that the most simple of things truly make the person, not the mish-mash of class features and feats. I have a mechanical idea of where I want to go with this, and while it isn't possible at ECL 1 (without some... legal, but dangerously cheesy mechanics), it's certainly possible the next level.

Class-wise, I'm thinking Rogue. Race-wise, Changeling. If I wanted to get dangerously cheesy here... I'd be moving towards a Lesser Half-Fey Incarnate Construct Warforged (which... still has an LA -1...). But then again, that's definitely along the lines of DMG-tossing fury right there. (It's only to illustrate how much time I've wasted on D&D 3.5 charop forums! :P)
Somehow, sometime, this will have more than just a placeholder.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Rufei on June 26, 2011, 11:58:26 AM
Oh god. I too will throw my hat into the fray here - I might be too late as well! I'm thinking the powergamer of the group, who eventually comes to realize that the most simple of things truly make the person, not the mish-mash of class features and feats. I have a mechanical idea of where I want to go with this, and while it isn't possible at ECL 1 (without some... legal, but dangerously cheesy mechanics), it's certainly possible the next level.

Class-wise, I'm thinking Rogue. Race-wise, Changeling. If I wanted to get dangerously cheesy here... I'd be moving towards a Lesser Half-Fey Incarnate Construct Warforged (which... still has an LA -1...). But then again, that's definitely along the lines of DMG-tossing fury right there. (It's only to illustrate how much time I've wasted on D&D 3.5 charop forums! :P)

Heh. If we somehow get in together, we should design each other's characters - the powergamer tries to show the old-timer that mechanically powerful characters can also be well-RPed characters, and the old-timer attempts to prove to the powergamer that you don't need eleven different sourcebooks and eight 3rd-party magazines to make a character.

Mysterica

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 26, 2011, 12:20:28 PM
Heh. If we somehow get in together, we should design each other's characters - the powergamer tries to show the old-timer that mechanically powerful characters can also be well-RPed characters, and the old-timer attempts to prove to the powergamer that you don't need eleven different sourcebooks and eight 3rd-party magazines to make a character.

Lol.  And yeah, that was indeed a funny forum discussion!

TheGlyphstone

Rufei

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 26, 2011, 12:20:28 PM

That would most certainly be an awesome dynamic. So we have in here, what, the Stormwind Fallacy, and K.I.S.S.?

But yeah, I'd definitely be up for that.
Somehow, sometime, this will have more than just a placeholder.

Chloe Milev

Nerr, I'm only assuming there's room for a tiny armored halfling, but if there were, what do people (especially the DM) think of Pathfinder?  It's not totally necessary, I just like how it streamlines somethings, like a little fighter being able to get Underfoot Combat at level 7 (Acrobatics 7) instead of level 17 (cross-class Tumble 10).  Of course, we may never get beyond a level or two, but I always like to know what may be possible...
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

TheGlyphstone

Pathfinder's got its good and bad points, seeing as how it's basically a gigantic book of houserules for 3.5. The skill rank changes are excellent; the invention of CMB/CMD was a disaster. Overall, I'd prefer to stick with 3.5 out of consistency.

Not like there isn't a whole pile of ways around any problem like the one you described, though - the simplest being a single-level dip into Combat Rogue for Tumble as a class skill and 8+Int skill points to immediately put towards Tumbling. I'm sure there's an obscure feat out there somewhere that makes Tumble a class skill anyways.

Chloe Milev

Yeah, I always went to Crystal Keep to look up those feats, but now it's gone forever...

Anyway, that's fine.  I guess I could do on level of Rogue later on if needed.  Well, I've got something written up now, taking advantage of size, but not the default "throwing" halfling.
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Chloe Milev

Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

ExisD

Ohh, I really missed their template list. Nice to see it's still somewhere.

Mysterica

Is this game gonna happen, or are we marking this down as just a good idea?

Kuje

Quote from: Mysterica on July 04, 2011, 07:44:27 PM
Is this game gonna happen, or are we marking this down as just a good idea?

I was wondering to.... I sent my char via PM a few days ago and never heard back.

TheGlyphstone

I've been waiting to make a character until we know who's playing, with so many applicants.

Mysterica

I'd run the game, but first off I'm no gm, and second, even if I was, this is one game I really would prefer to play in anyways.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 04, 2011, 08:30:54 PM
I've been waiting to make a character until we know who's playing, with so many applicants.
Same here.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Theik

Sorry about the lack of replies; due to a recent heat wave here I've had little to no energy to reply to my going RPs, let alone work on starting a new intensive one as a DM. While I still love the idea of this campaign, I simply don't have the energy to work on it. If nobody can take over DMing from me, I might be able to revive the idea when temperatures drop.

Mysterica

Aww...  It's somewhat upsetting, but I'm not upset at you.  Just upsetting.  Try to keep your spirits up, or failing that, wash your problems away with spirits!  Lol.

ChaosLacky

Kate

if your looking for more female players happy to be one if the starting level was higher and combat was resolved in one post by the gm - and not round after round of everyone posting (which i think kills system threads)

TheGlyphstone