Buffy the Vampire Slayer style roleplay; Background and interest check

Started by consortium11, March 24, 2013, 12:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jefepato

Quote from: consortium11 on March 26, 2013, 02:34:10 PM
A picture certainly isn't a necessity; if you'd prefer to do a text description then that's just as good.

And as the owner of a laptop which overheats and automatically shuts down at least a couple of times a day I certainly feel your pain there!
Updated some stuff.  I should clarify, I didn't really mean for her to be super cute but maybe an understated sort of attractiveness.

And yeah, I had a much newer laptop that failed hard.  It's embarrassing, I should have read reviews a lot more or I wouldn't have stooged that one up.

I should check out the IC thread and see what's what.

Darwishi

Emma Watson seems like a good fit, if you can find good pictures of her when she's a brunette.  Also seems to have the clothing style choices that your character has.  I'm gonna look for a few more.

Here's a gallery of Emma Watson: http://s1000.photobucket.com/user/ViciousTeddyBear/library/Shards/Emma%20Watson

Janel Parrish is also a cute possibility: http://s1000.photobucket.com/user/ViciousTeddyBear/library/Shards/Janel%20Parrish

Kay Panabaker is also another way to go with it: http://s1000.photobucket.com/user/ViciousTeddyBear/library/Shards/Kay%20Panabaker

Let me know if any of these are the right direction or if you had something else in mind? 

consortium11

I'll edit the changes into the character sheet thread.

Good to have you onboard and posting.

And here's to laptops that don't explode!  ;D

Eislynn

WARNING, Wall of text, LOL. If anyone sees something that doesn't look right, please let me know.

Name: Maricza (Maria) Zupan
Date of birth: April 18, 1793 (Bitten at age 26 so she retains that appearance.)
Place of birth: A gypsy camp somewhere on the roving borders of Croatia.
Known Relatives: Grandmother Katuska Dorovnic, Parents Jenka and Boris Zupan - All Deceased.

Height: Not short, but not terribly tall - 5'8" or so.
Weight: Numbers...how droll. Not quite Rubenesque - Healthy curves in the right places.
Hair: Ruddy Chestnut that gently curls of it's own accord.
Eyes: A strange blend of hazel that makes her eyes appear anywhere from black to golden depending on the light.

Powers: The superhuman speed and strength of a vampire backed up by a passionate desire to prevent anyone else from living her own fate. Over her long life she has studied many martial arts, but her favorite is the Sambo she picked up from a 40 year stint in Russia. As a gypsy decendant, she also has her share of unexplained intuition when she is able to focus. By the same token, though she has her hunger though under control, it sometimes becomes acute enough to negatively impact that focus. She also has posession of a sacred Cigani artifact that allows her to not die in the sunlight. This is not to say that sun does not cause her any pain however. As long as she keeps shades on and her skin covered, she can manage if necessary.

Personality: She outwardly appears as a very driven young woman coming to terms with a crippling illness. That is to say, she tells those around her that her skin condition makes sun exposure dificult and therefore can only take night shifts. The story is coraborated by several close calls in which she began to blister when exposed to sunlight. Her attention to detail and what others refer to as her 'anal-retentive obsessive-compulsive tendencies' are actually ways in which she keeps her hunger, at least for human blood at bay. She is relentless in her quest to redeem herself for an undiscussed sin in the past.

History: Stay a while and listen - Even without covering all 220 years of her history, this could take a bit...

No one quite remembers where the Cigani (Coloquially known as Gypsies) were camped the day Maricza was born. Suffice it to say, she was born on a cold spring morning in the balkans near what is now Croatia. Her father was the de-facto leader of their caravan and did well to keep his people safe and happy. As she grew up though, with increasing frequency gypsies were being shooed away from 'civilized society.' There was much struggle for her caravan as she grew up, but despite sometimes hanging on to survival by only a thread, she knew nothing but love from her family and the people of her caravan.

One fateful autumn night in 1819, Maricza and her best friend Janko (who was likely to become her husband come next summer) had just returned to camp to report a magnificent offer that was made by one of the few villages near Zagreb that didn't immediately run them out. The offer itself was like a dream come true for the travel weary caravan. They were to be given liquor and supplies for the harsh winter that was to come in exchainge for their aid. The Mayor explained that a recent bout of illness had killed off many of his villagers, and so they now had more crops and beasts than they would be able to harvest alone. What he wished for in return was that the Cigani lend men for the harvest, and women to lift their spirits. They would even be invited to partake in the harvest festival once the work was done. It had been a hard year, and it felt so wonderful to finally have good fortune that Maricza ignored the Cigani intuition that told her this might be too good to be true.

Maricza's triumphant return to camp was met with cheers as everyone took in the good news. It was likely that the others intuition was outweighed by hope just as hers. A single voice tried to break through and convince them to listen to their feelings. Grandmother Dorovnic, known for having gone senile in her old age seemed almost lucid. She warned against taking the deal before Maricza's parents led the muttering old woman back to her bed and the celebration went on as if nothing had happened.

They joined with the villagers until the harvest was complete. The men of her caravan worked the fields, and the women served them meals, and sometimes company at the end of the day. Maricza found it soothing for once to belong to something less transient, but the night of the festival, things took a turn. Marica and Janko were invited to the Mayor's home to be granted a special reward for their diplomatic influence. Upon entering the dark house, the trap was sprung. The mayor appeared blade in hand. Before they could react, the pair was bound and gagged and laid out before him. She can still hear his words as he claimed ownership over her to his associates. "A beautiful creature doesn't belong in a cage, but I think I'll keep her anyway. Save the other one for later. My little bird will be hungry when she wakes."

The Vampire stole her humanity that night, and how hungry she was when she awoke. To this day, she remembers every moment of her ensuing soulless rampage. How Janko screamed and begged her to remember who she was when she fed on him. How she helped the mayor to bury their victims with stakes already through their hearts so they would not have so much 'competition for food' as he called it. She remembered laughing as she slaughtered and devoured her friends and loved ones like cattle. She gleefully accepted her master's command to strike down her own mother and father. Some shred of humanity remaining made her save her grandmother for last. Somewhere deep down in her subconscious, maybe she knew that if anyone could make this killing stop, it would be wise Grandma Dorovnic.

She arrived at her Grandmother's bedside to discover her performing an ancient gypsy ritual with sigils drawn in her own blood. Weakly chanting, waiting for her granddaughter. The incense smelled of garlic and sage and weakened Maricza. The words of the ritual though softly spoken pounded in her ears like thunder and the circle of runes beneath her feet kept her frozen. When the mayor appeared, seeing his chosen bride so entrapped sent him into a rage and he plunged his blade into the old woman's chest, astonished to see a tear and a look of horror on Maricza's face. With a final gurgle, her grandmother threw a gem into the magic circle. It caught fire and melted into Maricza's skin. Waves of horror and anguish and guilt and regret strong enough to cripple swept over her as she felt her soul return. Her grandmother's final words to her were an apology for the great pain she would now face with her soul intact.

Everyone she loved was dead. She wasted no time in channeling her rage towards the mayor and took swift vengeance. Every vampire in the village was dust by dawn and she returned to the ruins of her caravan to mourn. Soon after crossed paths with a young girl who immediately tried to kill her. She would have felt the slayer's stake that night had the girl not been so confused that this vampire did not try to kill her in return. That slayer's hesitation allowed Maricza to escape. She faded into obscurity for years, ever a nomad at heart now and then resurfacing throughout Europe as a little more than a silly legend. Something to perturb other vampires - Their views of her existence were almost comical - Slayers? Proven fact. The vampire who kills her kin? Inconceivable.

Now and then she has crossed paths with slayers and watchers, knowing better than to catch their attention. She's watched them come and go, some meeting more gruesome ends than others, but the line has always continued, sometimes with her secret aid. Still she remains on the periphery since most slayers are less than willing to trust her and more inclined to just end her existence, no questions asked.

Flash forward to a few years ago when she paid a visit/beating to a group of vampires she'd been tracking in Hungary. She came upon a young man defending himself and was able to kill enough of the vampires to give him a fighting chance. She stayed out of sight but admitted she was relieved when he escaped. Having sucessfully acted behind the scenes to save his life, she moved on, thinking little more of it. Not long after, a coven of witches aided her in tracking a new threat to America and told her of the active hellmouth beneath Fairview. After assuming a new identity as a bounty hunter liason of Fairview's Sherriff's department, imagine her surprise to find the man she saved in town as well - Little did she know he was now a watcher, and that despite being on his side her life would soon be threatened by his slayer. 

consortium11

Absolutely love the bio!

Everything seems perfect to me.

I'll add her into the character sheets; feel free to jump in and start posting at any time you like.

TheRaven

As with Katida's character... yeah, brace for dat wall of text. Though not Great Wall of China of text. :P

Name: Enjolras Maurice Lachance de Sade
Date of Birth: October 15, 1772 (Bitten at age 27)
Place of Birth: Marseilles, France
Known Relatives: Marquis Donatien de Sade (Father - deceased), Louis de Sade (Brother - deceased), Comte Donatien-Claude de Sade (Brother - deceased), Juliette Lachance (Mother - deceased), Darla (Sire)

Height: 6’1”

Weight: 150 lbs.

Hair: Blonde

Eyes: Blue

Usual Style/Clothes: Black, semi-formal with a bit of a metallic twist. Often wears leather and silk.

Powers (if applicable): Vampire powers (enhanced strength, speed, agility, reflexes, resilience, healing, senses)

Personality: Enjolras is hardly regarded as a legend of any sort among other vampires. While he may have similar sadistic tendencies to other vampires, such as Angelus or William the Bloody, he lacks the same bloodlust as them. His particular proclivities are far more in line with those of his human father, the infamous Marquis de Sade. He also followed in his father’s footsteps with regards to distaste for bankers, priests, judges, and politicians. Enjolras is a terrible narcissist, though his ego is more often than not well-deserved due to his charming and affable exterior hiding a fearsome sociopath beneath. He has met more than one Slayer in his lifetime, and claims to have seduced one, but considering that he’s more of a loner in vampiric society, this claim is unsubstantiated.

Favorite Quote: “It is always by way of pain that one arrives at pleasure.”

Quirks: Speaks with a light French accent; may refer to women off and on as ma cherie.

Hobbies: Seducing women who resemble the Slayer he claims he seduced (meaning blonde with green eyes), practicing fighting techniques with a rapier he “acquired” from a French nobleman back during his tenure among the living and his fists, and playing the violin; Paganini’s Caprice No. 13 is a favorite.

History: Enjolras was born in 1772 to a prostitute from the city of Marseilles, the bastard child of the infamous Marquis de Sade. He spent his early life as a two-bit crook, conning, seducing, blackmailing, pickpocketing, and otherwise engaging in general skullduggery to make a living. Then he met a mysterious woman who saw some sort of potential in him. On the night of April 17th, 1781, Enjolras’ life ended, and his undeath began. While his Sire, Darla, attempted to persuade him into joining the Order of Aurelius, he wouldn’t have it; priests and politicians of any variety made him nervous, never mind having the both of them in the body of one ancient vampire. And so the fledgling vampire sought greener pastures in the New World. His first several decades there were somewhat uneventful, eking out a lifestyle of feeding off of some outlying fur trappers in French Canada for a time, until circumstances involving a Slayer, who he claims he seduced, forced him to migrate south to the frontier of the United States in 1864. He eventually grew bored with a pastoral life, however, and moved east to Massachusetts in the early 1880’s. After an incident in his new hometown involving a vampire hunter and a few people he suspected of supernatural ties, Andrew and Abby Borden, Enjolras picked up and moved again to the beginnings of Fairview to set up shop there. He's been on the edges of the town's society for ages, and he knows a great deal of the sewers and the streets by night like the back of his pale hand.
"Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are"
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
"Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.
"Fuck you," said the raven.

Photo

officially declaring interest.

Many ideas, I ask one question, GM, what is needed most at this time. I've read this thread, so I would like to assume that you need more villains, or at least neutral characters.
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

consortium11

In all honesty I'm not vastly desperate for villains right now; I've got the first couple well planned out. I certainly wouldn't object if you wanted to play one but it would come with a caveat that there's not likely to be a vast amount of "screen" time for them, at least early on.

In truth there's nothing that's really "needed"; I can't think of too many obvious holes that need filling in the group make-up. Personally I'd like perhaps one or two more "normal" human characters to form part of the core group but that's a personal preference rather than a real need.

So basically, anything you want; send me some ideas and we can work things out from there  :-)

TheRaven

Yeah, I didn't intend for Enjolras to be one of this particular group of Scoobies. He's built for being an antagonist.  >:) I can chop the bits involving the other vampires from his sheet.

However, in terms of someone with more "screen time," I'll try bouncing a few ideas off of you.
"Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are"
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
"Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.
"Fuck you," said the raven.

consortium11

kckolbe

Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

consortium11

I guess this is a recruitment advert!

A couple of people have unfortunately had to drop out and that leaves us missing a magic user character and a Watcher. The story is early enough in that any new characters will be able to slide in without any hassle or need for vast amounts of background reading.

So if anyone's interested please either reply here or get in touch through PMs.

:-)

slowmojoe

I may be interested in being the/a  Watcher. They were always my favorite characters in the original series!

consortium11

Quote from: slowmojoe on April 22, 2013, 05:36:25 PM
I may be interested in being the/a  Watcher. They were always my favorite characters in the original series!

Good to hear you're interested.

The character sheet we've been using is below

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Name:
Date of Birth:
Place of Birth:
Known Relatives:

Height:
Weight:
Hair:
Eyes:
Usual Style/Clothes:
Appearance:

Powers (if applicable):

Personality:
Favourite Quote:
Quirks:
Hobbies:
History:

Darwishi is playing the Slayer so you may want to get in contact with him to sort out backstory or you may want to play a "new" Watcher who has just been assigned to her.