Gladiator's Midievil Fantasy RP!

Started by Gladiator0161, March 06, 2013, 12:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gladiator0161

Alright, so this rp story will be loosely based off the video game series Elder Scrolls. Since the beta for the Elder Scrolls MMO is coming out, and the wait is killing me, lol, a friend and I came up with this!

I'll be using the cities and countries of the Elder Scrolls series, along with the races and some of the organizations, like for instance The Fighter's Guild, The Mage's Guild, Thieves Guild, The Companions, ect. but, that's where the similarities end. I won't be using a political scene unless it's absolutely necessary (meaning dealing with the political situation between Governors, Kings, Jarls ect. and their territories).

Also, god-moding will not be tolerated, you will get hit, you will get hurt, and your character does have the possibility of dying. However, no one will be allowed to kill another player's character without that player's permission, and I will only do so if someone disappears for a long period of time, or someone gets out of line. In most cases, if someone disappears and doesn't post for a while, I'll most likely have them wonder off somewhere and get lost, that way they can rejoin us if they want to.

Weapons that aren't allowed

Daedric Artifacts, super badass AoE weapons, or other canonical weapons that are named in any of the Elder Scrolls video games, like Volendrung, Sufferthorn, Bloodthorn, Trollsbane, Gauldor Blackblade, Gauldor Blackbow, Chillwind, Dawnbreaker, Mehrune's Razor, Dragonbane, Red Eagle's Bane, Red Eagle's Fury, ect. are not allowed. Characters that start out with the best gear and the most powerful abilities are boring, and there wouldn't really be any point to the story if our characters were that way. There would be no threat of them ever truly being in danger. The more experienced or battle-hardened a character is, the tougher the challenges and opponents he or she faces need to be. Not to mention that it just causes problems, so please, don't ask for those type of weapons.

Also, this is not Dungeons and Dragons (also cool though I've never played), and we don't use dice for damage, save, or finding rolls, lol.

Weapons and Armors that are allowed

You can have any weapons or armor made out of Wood, Iron, Steel, Dwarvish, Corundum (an enhancer for iron), Moonstone (Elvish weapons), Refined Malachite (Glass Weapons), Orchish, Ebony, or Daedric (all Daedric weapons are is Ebony mixed with a Daedra's heart), Falmer (if you have an idea for a weapon that is inherited to your character that once was forged by the Snow Elves before they became the Falmer, I'll consider it), or Forsworn makes. You can also have a couple of enchantments on the weapons and armor as long as it does not cross the boundaries of the rules stated above. So, I don't want to see replicas of Dawnstar or Mehrune's Razor.

Nightingale Equipment is also allowed for those that are either in that group, or have been at one time. If you've killed a Nightingale and taken his equipment, it will also be allowed.

Also, I will allow romance/sex scenes and graphic descriptions but, I don't want that to be the focus of this rp. This rp is strictly story driven, everything else is a bonus. So I don't want two pages of sex scenes and little else, ok?

And finally, DO NOT use modern curse words like "fuck" in this rp, and please refrain from posting one sentence replies. I will understand if you can't think of anything else to write but, please write at least a paragraph (5 sentences). The more the better for me and everyone else ;)

Horses

Now personally, I love horses. They're beautiful, majestic, intelligent creatures and riding horses helped me improve my hand writing when I was a kid, because I had seizures when I was really young, and so an after affect of that was that my hands shook. So, I have alot of fond feelings and respect for horses. That being said however, for the life of an adventurer and the purposes of this story, horses will just get in the way of things, and so won't be allowed beyond the city of Whiterun.

Why Whiterun? Because eventually our adventuresome path will take us by there, so, if you want your character to have a horse, they can bring it to Winterhold, join the meeting, and leave with it from Winterhold and take it with them to Whiterun. Leaving it in Winterhold is a death sentence because of how cold it is there, realistically, the horse would freeze and die in such a freezing environment. Also, Winterhold does not have a horse stable, and Whiterun does.

Reasons against horses in this rp

1: Your character will have to to take care of them.

Yes, like real animals in real life if they get hungry, sick, or wounded, your character will have to take care of those needs.

2: Horses, like other animals, have limited intelligence.

So, if your horse gets frightened, or you get ambushed by say, a Sabre Cat? You will most likely get thrown off and injured yourself. If there is a Necromancer cave that just spews an evil aura/feeling, and your horse is nervous and does not want to move, or go anywhere near that place, you run the risk of getting thrown off and losing your horse anyway, because it will run off to get away from whatever is frightening it. Also, you run the risk of getting your character seriously hurt, or killed by being trampled by your own horse, or another players horse.

3: They die easily.

Now, I'm not saying that if you have a horse that was raised around battle, that it'll scare easily, or won't put up a fight but, let's face it, Elder Scrolls is not known for it's weak enemies. Will a horse kill a bandit? Yes. Will it kill a Wolf, Mountain Lion, or small Daedric monster like a Scamp, or Imp? Most likely. Will it kill a Daedric monster like a Fire Atronauch, Frost Atronauch, Storm Atronauch, a small Daedra Lord, or Xivillai? No. Will it kill Werewolves? No, not if they're healthy. Vampires? Same thing. Not if they're healthy. What about Ogres, Minotaurs, or Mages? No, and definitely no. As for the Mage, it depends on whether he's distracted by something.

4: They're a hindrance. Plain and simple, they can't go everywhere that a player can, and realistically, they can't go straight up the side of a cliff like they can in the game.

Reasons for horses

1: They decrease travel time. This is the single biggest reason that I could think of when contemplating whether or not to disallow horses.

Example of what I mean: Walking distance from Winterhold to Whiterun on a straight path, will take you 4 days to travel. Riding a horse from Winterhold to Whiterun will take you a day and a half at a run. And that's if you run them most of the day. Really though, the whole point of the story is to have fun and explore things while you try to find the instigator behind the rampant destruction. So, having a horse is still a bad idea.

2: They will keep your character warm at night.

3: Should your character start to starve, they are a source of food.

Ok now that all of that is out of the way let the telling of the story behind this rp commence! :D

The Story Date: 4E 50

It's been 50 years since the Oblivion Crisis and though the world is no longer in danger of being over run by the Daedra, rumors have started to spread about a mysterious terror that has gripped the land. All over Tamriel towns and villages have been burned down in a single night, people mysteriously disappear, or are killed, burned alive but, according to some of the Mage's involved in the autopsies, magic was not involved. In response to this new and unseen threat, The Fighter's Guild and their rivals, The Blackwood Company, have banded together to discover and hopefully conquer this threat.

(Instead of the Blackwood Company disbanding because of the destruction of the Hist Tree, they simply went inactive for a time before a new Guild Master rose up and brought the surviving members back together, and started training new recruits. Ofcourse, the destruction of the Hist Tree was still a mighty blow and they still take on some jobs that the Fighter's Guild won't touch, such as paid assassinations, so the bitterness between the two guilds remains.)

Since all of the continent of Tamriel is in possible danger, and there is sufficient evidence to perceive it as such, though ofcourse most are doubtful at best, The Companions also join the collaboration and team up with the other guilds under the order of the Jarl of Whiterun Hold in Skyrim. Warriors from all over Tamriel have gathered for this historic meeting between the guilds for the promise of adventure, treasure, power, and renown.

Will you be one of them?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, obviously, you don't have to know the Elder Scrolls games in order to play in this rp but, the link below goes to the Elder Scrolls Wiki in case you want to learn more/have any questions about the world, Nirn, or the "mortal plane" (that's new to me and I played Marrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, lol).

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_Wiki

Now, it doesn't matter to me how many people join. All are welcome but, please specify which guild you want your character to be under, and what race you would like to play. If I left out any guilds you think would be relevant for this rp, please mention them! :D

I haven't had the pleasure of playing Daggerfall or any of the other games before Marrowind.

The very last thing, I swear, is the Character sheet. Please fill it out to the best of your ability and don't be afraid to ask for suggestions from myself, or any of the other players.

Playable Races

Argonian- Lizard-like humanoids
Altmer- High Elf
Breton- Human
Bosmer- Wood Elf
Betmer- Beastfolk- Vampires, Werewolves
Dunmer- Dark Elf
Imperial- Human
Khajiit- Cat-like humanoids
Maormer- Sea Elves- Mermen and Mermaids- apparently requires some kind of sea snake to move around on land?
Nord- Human
Orsimer- Orc
Redguard- Human

Racial Lifespans-(This is just what is generally accepted. The number of years each race lives is actually still being debated to my knowledge, so, if you want your character to be a little older than what's on here, it should be fine. I'll say something if anyone goes overboard, lol.)

The general consensus is that Nords, Bretons, Imperials and Redguards live for around 150 years.
Elves live around 500 or more, with High Elves being the longest lived of the Elf races. I think it's been said in Skyrim that Altmer (High Elves) have been known to live around 1,000 years but, don't quote me on that. Argonians and Kahjiit live at about the same life span, around 300 years.

QuoteName:
Race:
Class/Occupation:
Archetype:
Alignment:

Weight:

Appearance:
Personality:
Biography:
Gear and Weaponry:

Oh, and this is what I imagine a Survival Bag to look like, in case you were curious : http://www.guntia-militaria-shop.de/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=1067&osCsid=dia4evrhff3dpbvof081gbnia4

THE STORY THREAD IS UP! PLEASE TALK TO ME BEFORE JUMPING IN IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN JOINING!

We are currently finishing up the historic meeting in Winterhold, and are almost ready to set out on our journey!

Story Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=169700.0

Hunter Phoenix

*Appears in a blaze of bright fire, then promptly has to stamp out fire on cloak*

Ahem, that fire never happened. *Looks around shiftily*

Ok so yeah I would be up for this and I would totally go with the Mages Guild because let's face it, Mages are badass and I love to be a magic wielder. Also totally wanna be a High Elf, those suckers got attitude up the butt. Especially if you mess with them, it's all like "I WILL END YOU!!!" sort of stuff.
Where Will A Creature Of Darkness Hide If Not In The Shadows Of The Night.

Gladiator0161

Alright! Accepted. Welcome aboard Hunter Phoenix!

kingmaster1

*appears out of nowhere* Elder scrolls! I MUST be a part of this ;D

I'll bring my imperial thief Melonia or my redguard warrior Black-blade!

I'll have to flip a coin to decide, I love them both so much!  :'(

Anyway...the short version is...I'd like to join this :-)

Gladiator0161

Glad to hear it Kingmaster1! Accepted. I still can't decide who I'm gonna play beside my werewolf/Nord dude Galamar.

I've created so many characters on Skyrim and I love them all, lol.

I mean, I'm gonna be plenty busy with NPC's, because I obviously gotta play the Fighters Guild Master, Mages Guild Master, the Harbinger of the Companions, and the Blackwood Company Guild Master for the initial post of the thread because I'm gonna start with the meeting first, that way we're all together.

azzmeister89

Gladiator0161

Awesome! Welcome Azzmeister89! Thanks for the interest!

Ok, as soon as a couple friends of mine decide whether they want to join or not, one of which is applying for acceptance so, dunno how long that'll take but, after that, I think we'll have enough people to get things rolling.

Oh yeah, and I have to come up with names, races, and personalities for the 4 guild master NPCs :D

Btw, I'm gonna be naming the thread Elder Scrolls: Storm Front.

kingmaster1

Nice, I think the thieves guild master should be a khajit...just cause they're mostly thieves anyway...

I think I've decided to use my thief Melonia. She's an imperial with some surprisingly sticky fingers.

What's the policy on weapons? Can she have her nightingale stuff or are we limited?

azzmeister89

My question is are we limited to only using weapons and armor found in games or can we come up with our own things, within reason. I'm asking this because i find it curious that each race/nation has there own armors and weapons apart from the kajit and argonions and i think it would be interesting to think on those

Gladiator0161

Nightingale equipment is fine Kingmaster1, and you have a good point Azzmeister89, I'm fine with you coming up with your own weapons and armors as long as it fits the world of Elder Scrolls. For instance, with everything that the Elder Scrolls games have, I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have Crossbows, so I'm allowing the use of Crossbows.

Also, for anyone wanting to play the Mage class, if you have a spell that you created in Oblivion, I'll allow you to use it, as long as it isn't godly powerful and can wipe out anything within miles that is. There are alot of spells that they left out of Skyrim, like a ton of Alteration and Conjuration spells, cause I had a character that had a spell for opening locks, and could conjure a Flesh Atronach, and all those other creepy crawleys from the Shiver Isles. Oh, and if you want to use an Invisibility spell, you can, and motions like opening a door, picking something up, or using your weapon won't dis-spell it but, it will still be useless against a Life Detection spell.

I'll even allow teleportation spells but, only effective on up to four people and it's range will have to be within meters, otherwise the thread will be over really really quickly, lol. Sound fair?

kingmaster1

that all sounds good to me, what about dedric artifacts? Could my girl have the dawnbreaker or wabbajack? Or would that be too powerful?

I plan on her being a deadra worshiper, just like in game :P

Specifically for sheogorath, nocturnal, and Meridia. She doesn't need all of their weapons but I would like her dual wielding the dawnbreaker and her nightingale blade :-)

Gladiator0161

Well, I think we better leave Daedric artifacts in general out of it, as most are really powerful, and the Wabbajack is more so, as it's thing is that anything can happen. That's just too powerful. You can have Daedric weapons, and a sword with similar enchantments to Dawnbreaker but, Dawnbreaker itself is off limits.

So setting undead/zombies on fire, no problem, making them explode and setting them on fire is a no go. Also, this just makes it better for everyone, cause if one person has a Daedric artifact, then everyone's gonna want one, not that I would blame them, they are cool.

I just don't want any hurt feelings over this stuff, so I'd rather not even risk it.

Oh, and btw, I was mistaken Asher17 tells me that the Dark Elves (Dunmer) in Marrowind had Crossbows, which I didn't know. So, there we go. Thanks Asher17!

He's a recently applied player that I happen to know in real life, so he would say hi but, until he's approved he can't post in here, lol.

kingmaster1

That's cool and I see your logic. I'll just have her enchant something with similar effects, maybe an ebony blade or something. I want it to look similar to a nightingale blade so ebony is the closest thing. I'd say Miraak's sword....but that would be way too op :P

I think I'll go with....hmmm..... if we can make new weapons....could I make a one handed version of the bloodskall blade?

Has anyone else played the dragonborn DLC for skyrim? If so, if you've found the bloodskal blade, under the mine in ravenrock, it's the blade that shoots red beams when you swing it, could I make it one handed?

Gladiator0161

Tell me more about it before I give a definite answer, cause I haven't played the Dragonborn DLC and probably won't for quite awhile, as I'm poor as crap and my priorities lie in a new tire for my car, lol.

kingmaster1

It's amazing, first off, they did an amazing job on the whole thing. You will absolutely love it as it is the best DLC yet.

Anyway, https://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Bloodskal_Blade

There's the wiki page for it. It would be my favorite weapon if it was one handed, so obviously it would take some damage reduction for the transformation, but other than that I would want it the same :-)

Gladiator0161

I'm sorry Kingmaster1, I'm gonna have to say no to that one too after reading the enchantment description. It's just too powerful. U can have your sword look like it but, that's as far as it goes. Energy beams going through multiple enemies, and walls? Yeah, that's a no.

I've added a map of Tamriel. I'd like you all to think about where you would like to start off in the rp, as I'll be doing the initial post and starting off with all the Guild Masters gathered for the meeting, so that we can all start out in the same place. Then we'll go from there and see what happens, lol.

I only really know Cyrodiil and Skyrim. I know what Marrowind looks like but, I haven't played much of Marrowind to be honest. I actually never really even got out of Balmora, lol. It takes forever to get anywhere in that game!

So, Asher17 informed me that he'd like to start out somewhere in Skyrim, and that he'll gladly NPC the Arch Mage from there.

So, that's one vote for Skyrim. Anyone else?

kingmaster1

Okay, how about this, I'll change the default damage to be appropriate for a one hander and nerf the enchantment. Like, not let it go through walls or enemies and make it so I have a cool down on it?

Or perhaps I could give her chillrend? (Mercer's sword) I used that for the longest time as well.

I vote skyrim by the way, I want my girl starting in Riften, near her thieves guild buddies ;D

BadForm

Absences thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=202963.msg9924174#msg9924174

-----

Think you know your movies? How about their dialogue? Try the following silly movie caption thread:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200349.0

EvilMegaCookie

*walks in, reading a book named ''The Lusty Argonian Maid'', noticing that there are several others beside me, I quickly burn the book using a fireball spell* Erhem. I would like to join!

kingmaster1

Quote from: EvilMegaCookie on March 09, 2013, 07:01:18 PM
*walks in, reading a book named ''The Lusty Argonian Maid'', noticing that there are several others beside me, I quickly burn the book using a fireball spell* Erhem. I would like to join!

*peaks over your shoulder* have you read the second volume? It's quite....titillating....

BadForm

Volume two is nothing - that work is quite extensive... and once you get the 69, then you know you're doing well!
Absences thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=202963.msg9924174#msg9924174

-----

Think you know your movies? How about their dialogue? Try the following silly movie caption thread:

kingmaster1

Oooooooooh, a fellow scholar! I'm proud to say I own all of the 99 volumes and waiting patiently for the 100th ;D

Asher17

Heya Gladiator!

I just got approved so now I'm ready to jump in. Nice to meet you all! And no BadForm, you're not
too late to join in. ^^ So like Glad said I'll be NPCing the Arch Mage present at the gathering, and
he will be from Skyrim. My main character however will be a guttersnipe from Elsweyr, a young
(former) desert dweller who wanders Tamriel not for the sake of adventure so much as just to
stay alive. Oh, and he's not a Khajiit.  ;D

Anyways, I'm looking forward to getting started. Peace out for now! ~
(P.S. The Lusty Argonian Maid is awesomesauce.)

BadForm

The character I would choose to play, if ok, would be the one I just set up to try playing through Skyrim - a Bosmer archer/mage. Primarily an archer (with some adventuring scout skills like lockpicking), she uses destruction spells when up close, where bows really wouldn't work out too well. She would practice largely basic destruction spells - sparks, flames, etc, and no AoE ones, since she prefers stealth and archery at range. She also uses restoration spells for healing, and alchemy for boosts. That is as I have her set up for the game at least (and no, I didn't claim to make non-gimped characters)... if this meets with approval let me know. If you have a specific character sheet to fill in I'll be happy to.

-----

Asher17

We will have to wait to see what Gladiator says but a Bosmer archer with a side of magic sounds fine.
I'm sensing I might need to offer a word of caution however, for everyone in general: Don't be too
focused on stats, abilities, and/or how the character you want to play would fit into the Elder Scrolls
games. We're going to be building a story here, granted within the world of Tamriel, but creating a
character you're going to be writing is a little different than creating one in a video game. I hope that
makes sense, and I'm not trying to bust anyone's balls here, it just seems there's been a lot of talk
about details specific to the ES video games.