Ocelaica, A Victorian Steampunk Game - Now accepting characters (LGBT Friendly)

Started by Laraine, March 28, 2015, 09:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laraine

Character Sheet

OOC Thread

IC Thread

Ocelaica - The Bar

Ocelaica has been around since the turn of the century. The atmosphere of warmth greets you, but there is a tinge of something lurking behind the smiles, behind the loud bawdy lime lite. Perhaps it is that air of mystery that beckons you further inside, for all walks of life are welcomed at Ocelaica. Only at Ocelaica will you find Bobbies and criminals having a pint next to each other. Jack Fletcher, who is always quick with a smile and a mischievous grin, has been the bartender at Ocelaica for as long as anyone can remember. Besides serving almost any drink you can imagine, he serves the dual purpose of keeping the fights to a minimum. Just don't ask him to make you a sandwich ... food is not a specialty of his. 

As you walk in, the bar is set off to the left side with tables and leather chairs scattered around the center of the room. Near the bar there is a long cylinder contraption that is powered by steam that keeps the many beers on tap cold. Along the walls there are several private booths which can be closed off with heavy burgundy drapes and there is a stage set against the back wall where there is occasionally a magic or burlesque show.

Setting

The game setting will be in an alternate history Victorian London post World War I, but where there is no World War II. Tensions would be high internationally. Game play would be a common area, in a local bar.  This will be Free Form sand box game that may have occasional GM run events inspired by Sherlock Holmes or Jack the ripper.  Technology is primarily powered by steam and electricity.  No gas driven motors, and really, lets face it, steampunk is all about the style of how something gets done. 

Header

Character name: Your characters name
Tagged: Whom ever you are playing with at the moment
Where: Where are the characters located at the time
Occupation:   What would you like to have your character do. IE: Inventor, Barkeep, etc

[float=left][img padding=5][/img][/float]
[b]Character name:[/b]
[b]Tagged:[/b]
[b]Where:[/b]

Character Sheet

Character name: Your characters name
Occupation:  What would you like to have your character do. IE: Inventor, Barkeep, etc
Description: Please describe your character in a few paragraphs.
History: What is your characters history/background.

[float=left][img width=200 padding=5][/img][/float]
[b]Character name:[/b]
[b]Occupation:[/b]
[b]Description:[/b]
[b]History:[/b] 

UPDATED: 3/31/15

Rajah

Well, some questions first: What are you thinking of for plot? Sandbox or storyline? System or freeform?
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Laraine

I would like to have it free form, and what I would really like is some murder mystery type things occasionally. But I am open for suggestions :) Have never done this before. I will update the thread as I have more ideas!

vanTheMad

Consider me very interested in this; I'll admit I've not done any group roleplays in at least two years, but I think this could be really fun, and I'd like to experience the larger assortment of characters too!

Misamo

I could give this a shot!  I'm not the best at this kind of rp but I do have a char that would fit for it!

Almondus

OMG A Misamo!  *hugs tight!*

And count me interested.  I honestly don't know much about steampunk, but the pics I found googling it were simply awe inspiring.

abandoneddolly

ooo I've been in the mood to do something steampunk. interested.

Valindra

In like steampunk lots, if you want i could womanup the bar

Almondus

Hrmm.. well that puts us at 7 with a likely 8 if/when a certain someone gets approved that will remain anonymous.

Think I'm going to start working on character idea's for this.  *Steeples his fingers and starts plotting*

Laraine

Character name: Larissa Bennett
Description: Larissa was on the short side, having only reached the height of about 5'2". But what she lacked in height, she made up for with long legs which she showed off often with her signature black boots. She had a slim waist leading up to her supple breasts. Larissa's green eyes always had a look of mischief set on her angular face. Her brown hair flowing down to frame her face.
History: Larissa grew up in a world of aristocracy. From a young age she was surrounded by servants, social events and high society. She was brought up only having private tutors until she went off to finishing school. It was at finishing school that she was first introduced to Archaeology.
Being bored in her studies, she decided to attend a lecture that the University was putting on. There she met Nevada Smith, an archaeologist, who was talking about his adventures and about the exciting world of Archaeology.
It was at this moment that Larissa decided to stop her studies at her finishing school and take up archaeology. Much to her parents dismay, that is exactly what she did. She took the necessary courses and set off for her first dig. After she returned back home she went to a local bar in London with some of the others from the dig. She fell in love with the atmosphere of the bar and when she is not out on a dig or exploring ancient ruins, you can find her hanging out at Ocelaica.

Dhi

A steampunk murder mystery in London would be a great fit for a character I previously played in Aetherpunk, who was a teen detective in the vein of Nancy Drew. Since this is a sandbox, do you see these mysteries being player-driven or would you like to distribute them as GM?

Laraine

I would like to see both actually. I would like to run a few,  but am more then happy to have players run some as well.  My only request would be to PM me an outline just to make sure that everything stays in the same game environment.   ;D

Almondus

Character name: Chris Wayland
Description: Chris was on the tall side standing at 6'2".  He kept his facial hair trim when at shore, but was known to let it grow out to a full beard while at sea.  He was a runner, and built for it.  His shoulders giving him a good frame to attach the tightly compacted sinuous muscles that helped him in the occasional bar fight he found himself in. 

History:  Mechanical things had always interested him even at a young age.  He studied them intensely, even to the point of seemingly being oblivious to the attention of several girls growing up.  Once he was done with school he took his place in the family business, a ship building company based out of London and allowed to run a portion of it as his own.  The choice for him was simple; submarines.  Few modern machines were as complex as they were or as challenging to operate.  Even in this enlightened time accidents happened and could sink them easily, but then that was part of the challenge of it.

The client base for them was limited of course.  Most people that were interested in them were military, though there were a few research firms that were quite interested in having their own for exploration.  Chris was sure that the designs he made fit their needs, but always had a way of keeping the best tech for himself.  He found himself earning enough to meet his needs and then some, becoming a  bit of a playboy of sorts.  Having all the time in the world to date girls and even explore the mysterious depths of the ocean.

More recently, a map to the fabled Atlantis found it's way into his hands.  He's been more then a little secretive about it, trying to find people that are experts in anthropology to see if it really is legitimate.  Only about a week ago a thug tried to mug him in a side ally for it.  It was only through a bit of luck, and taking more then a few bruises that Chris was able to get away.

Misamo

Since I got the okay to make 2 here they are!!

Character name: Sebastian Le`Blanc
Description: He stands at a startling height of 6'2, having always been rather tall and lanky.  He looks just what he was, an inventor and one who dabbled in the scientific field.  He had a steady gaze, a ever looming serious to him that seemed near impossible to shake off with all the things that were constantly rolling around in his mind.

History: Sebastian was raised in a well off enough family, allowed to tinker with things that were given to him as gifts.  It wasn't until he was a bit older that he started to find ways to further help society with little things he was able to create, enough to at least raise his family's social standing just a bit more.

Such progress however has made him a bit of a recluse, drawing back from people to delve into his creations more then ever before.  It was only recently that he was insisted on going out and at least converse with people since it was the only way he was keeping his parents from shoving him into an arranged marriage.

Character name: Vivianne Vashya
Description: Vivianne has always been considered the pretty girl that was out of reach of most boys at the college she attended with her lovely golden locks and soft skin.  She however had a fraility about her that left her a bit more withdrawn then she would have liked but she always hid it with one of those sweet little smiles that seemed to falter after a few moments.  Standing at 5'3 and slender of build she certainly was a sight to behold with her supple bosom and wide hips.

History: She was born into a rather mediocre family, nothing really special about them as they tried to survive thier day to day lives.  Vivianne was a sickly child and her parents had feared she would surely perish if she wasn't properly cared for.  Into they system as a baby at least had its perks when it came to attracting a new family.

Adopted into a middle class family she was cared for and raised properly, being brought up as quite the fetching young lady her adoptive parents wanted her to be.  It was only recently that she had at least stabalized in her health, allowing her to attend her classes in person instead of learning through one of her parents.

Dhi

Character name: Prudence "Prue" Chastity Crosswhite

Occupation: Knocker-upper, wench at the Ocelaica, and unpaid detective

Description: Slight enough for a woman to lift and carry away, Prue's willowy profile, small steps, and use of her hands for balance call to mind an uncertain foal rather than the sashay of a confident woman. She is bright-eyed and determined despite her harmlessness, her abhorrence for violence, her penchant for nibbling off much more than she ought to chew. At the Ocelaica she is a constant of friendly optimism, devouring the stories of the more mature and worldly, but this is only a ruse- in reality, Prue is a dreadful snoop, a gumshoe above all else!

History: Into the poorest dregs of Whitechapel the angels delivered a girl who lived to help. From childhood she had known evil, for though she had never seen the Kaiser's armored gun chariots and death rays for herself, she had seen the hollow left by the loss of one million of Britain's finest boys, the destitute women turned to prostitution, the orphans in droves. Though her good cheer has been tested, it remains unassailable and has landed her good jobs, an escape from Whitechapel's slum, and opportunity to help those who cannot help themselves. It began as neighborhood troubleshooting, the finding of lost cats and sleuthing of ghost tales, but has since escalated into stolen jewels, scam artists, and even the occult. But her greatest danger yet lies before her: murder may be afoot.

vanTheMad

Character name: Arthur "Art" Beam
Description: Art, while not the largest or smartest person he knows, has always known himself to at least be the most reliable. Standing just under six feet tall, and somewhat broad in the shoulder from years of hard work on his family's farm, Art may have left his days as a farm-hand behind, but he still finds it a little hard to convince most Londoners he meets that he's not just another cowboy Yank. Affable and sturdy, Art enjoys his life in London, and tends to get on well with others, though occasionally he does find himself engaged in silly squabbles over his nationality. An ex-soldier, but not truly a fighter, Art approaches even fights with a smile and friendly chuckle, though if pushed he's more likely to reach for his pistol than to put up his fists (which only furthers people's beliefs that he is, in fact, another cowboy Yank).

History:  Art was born in Texas, to a poor farmer's family. Raised in an environment of poverty and hard work, but loved, Art never thought much of the vast world around him. The ground of the farm was all that mattered to him, it was his home, it was his life; he loved the soil as much as he loved his family. He never knew a reason to leave it- until the dust storms started. In his early teenage years, the soil had become drier and drier, until one day the ground he had counted on, the soil that was his life, took to the air. The storms literally tore his family's fields out from under their feet, and Art felt something inside him change that day. Distraught over the loss of their livelihood, and in a desperate situation, his family made plans to immigrate to California and start anew, but Art knew he couldn't follow them- like the soil that had rooted him to the farm for so many years, he felt he was destined to take to the air. After wishing his family luck and love, he parted ways with them, and joined the military, intent on becoming a dirigible captain and following the wind.
It wasn't long after he enrolled in the Aeronautics Signal Corps that the Great War began, and he found himself following a rather different path than he expected. After training and performing aptitude assessment drills for what seemed like eons, Art found himself finally being called upon to become a pilot. Full of excitement when he got the news, his heart sunk when he found he was not selected to command a dirigible, but rather would become a flyboy operating in a biplane. For a while, Art thought that he had missed his true opportunity, until he first sat down in the cockpit of the plane, and he realized it was what he had been meant to do all along. Faster, more maneuverable, and infinitely more personal than commanding a dirigible, Art felt as at home in the cockpit of his biplane as he had previously felt on his family's farm. During the war he flew in over two dozen missions, and now, the war over and his service in the Aeronautics Corps over, he has taken up residence in London, where his new-found lack of purpose and general sense of optimism have left him jobless, but ready to do literally any work that pays.

Valindra

Character Name: Clair Vaux
Occupation: Bar owner\Madam\lady of the night\ hired sharp shooter, adventurer

Description: Fairly tall for a woman she made herself look even taller with her usual tight high, high heeled black boots an enough voluptuous and alluring figure to draw the eye of man. Her face\expression bares hardened features softened by her plush lips, almond shaped olive green eyes and her rusty red locks. She always had with her at least one gun and sometimes even a sword reserved for her adventures or her other line of work.

History\Background: A bar owner and in a way a protector of other working girls, she had done the same when she was younger, not that she was that hold! And knew the dangers of working in the streets or under the supposed care of someone else.
Now that she had her place she decided not to have them work for her but to offer them a safer place for them to work, a bar were they could work under her watchful eye and even were they could rent for a clean room for their needs.

Clair had had a fairly care free childhood and early teens until some tragic events in her life, during witch her father making up for the lack of male sons taught her to “deal” with guns, from cleaning to assembling them to using them and she loved it, loved dealing with the different guns, loved the time she spent with her father and that she was actually good with them, quickly she had become his “lil sharp shooter”.

Then she had lost her father and sister in an accident and her mother wasn’t able to deal with the grieve, so Clair took it on her to take care of both of them, they had lost the bigger house and more at ease live and an important part of their happy small family, to keep them safe and sheltered she started renting both her skills with weapons and body.

Quickly she joined money to buy for herself and her mother a place and a work, the top floor both her house and rooms to rent, the ground floor a fancy bar where she now watches over other girls that needed to do the same she had done.

Twisted iN Tux

Character name: Margrave Averard Cratchit Eckleby III aka Mace

Description: Mister Eckleby is a strapping young man, barely out of his teens, who prefers to keep his golden brown locks long, but his jawline bare. His bright green eyes are his most striking feature and often sparkle with delight as he's rambling on in his surprisingly deep baritone voice about one artistic endeavor or another. He moves with the grace of a dancer, but is far from feminine in his overall demeanor, and while he attempts to play the starving artist role to the hilt, his posh wardrobe betrays him more often than not.   

History: Margrave - who prefers to be called Mace - will tell you that he was born in some back alley of Covent Garden to a prostitute who bedded a holy man. Although, their are times, particularly when he's drunk, that he'll tell you he was born to a missionary nun who was raped by an affluent, military man, which, for some strange reason, comes across as a slightly more believable explanation of his origins. Hell, the kid really knows how to weave a story, even when he's intoxicated! Actually, even more so when he's inebriated. Regardless, both are fairly harmless white lies - or are they? - mere samples of his ongoing, ever-changing cover to conceal his true identity.

Now that's not to say that the young man cannot be trusted, he just doesn't like speaking about his past and, in particular, his family. In most other regards, he's fairly straightforward, rarely one to gloss things over. He tells it like it is, almost to a fault, as if the concept of a social filter doesn't entirely exist in the fantastical little world he's created for himself.

His arrival at Ocelaica, some three years earlier, marked a true turning point in his previously pathetic artistic pursuits. When not performing, he can be found toiling away in one of his many - and I mean many - leather-bound sketchbooks and journals. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention. He's a master of disguise and an expert forger, too! Just, uh, an added benefit of being really good at theatrical costuming, as well as ridiculously talented at rendering realistic reproductions of everyday things, such as signatures...and currency...and the occasional legal document for, you know, the right price.

Isla

Character name:  Rachel Cross AKA Ratchet

Occupation: Un-official pain in the ass; mechanic on a steam locomotive

Description: Rachel stands around 5'4 with dirty blond hair and a snide, sneering comment upon red lips.  22 years old she holds as much wisdom as most twice her age, but you'd never know by looking at her.  Mentally she likes to play games, her mind is sharp, not many would know that though, she prefers to play the 'stupid' blond and can usually pull it off.  Her hands are always moving, becoming more and more animated when she talks.

History:  She grew up on the rails, her happy family life ended when her mother ran off with a local shopkeep.  Her father and her took to the railway, him taking any job he could get, usually fixing the machines.  She usually accompanied him, learning all she could, taking in every ounce of knowledge he would bless her with.  She's never really developed the social demeanor that is required for "acceptable" living.  No friends and now no family since her father passed away she was sent off the train, told it wasn't right for a girl to be travelling like that by people who thought they knew better.

It annoyed her to no end, forced to try and adapt to "polite" society she is now struggling, fighting to try and hold on to herself while adapting, at least until she can talk a conductor into taking her on as an engineer, until then though what is she supposed to do? 

PhantomPistoleer

Character name:  Sir Ridgewell Hewes
Description: A tall, broad shouldered man with thick brown hair and keen blue eyes.
History:  The first thing you should know about this Sir Hewes is that he is a man of extraordinary bravery.  He has fought in several skirmishes, and he has demonstrated his strength of arm and character on many occasions within the field of combat.  He is something of an intellectual enigma, too, possessing a salient knowledge of biology, physiology, and illnesses.  As well, too, he is a learned man in terms of geography, having dallied in many regions, soaking up the culture.  He is well-spoken and multi-lingual, too, capable of speaking to our French, German, Swedish, and Arab brothers.

The second thing you should know is that though he is the heir to the Barony of Saxon, he does not act like a baron should.  He has a rough and tumble sort of character, and does not wash up for tea time.  His friends are legion, and arise from all walks of life.

The third thing you should know is that Sir Hewes dislikes to stay put, and he craves adventure within the vast expanse of the world.  He longs to explore the deep ocean, and travel along the stars, but is happy enough to get out into the country.

The fourth thing one should know is that Sir Hewes has seen a number of bizarre things throughout his adventures.  Indeed, his numerous wild adventures are the stuff of dreams.  Unfortunately and lamentably, Sir Hewes is prone to nightmares because of some of the things that he has experienced.

And lastly, Sir Hewes is not quite as bad as they say that he is.

Hi!  I'm open to connections.  If you would like Sir Hewes to be your friend, romantic interest, someone you had sex with once in a vessel going to Portugal, or what have you, let me know!
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

abandoneddolly

ooo those are pretty.
My muse refuses to make characters of late for any of my games, but I am still interested.

Laraine

wow ... those are awesome! Okay -- Going to make threads now, so please hold off posting until I can get those up and running. Thanks everyone!

Dhi

This one seems to have ended up a straight vehicle, judging by the split and the preferences of those interested. I have to back out and keep looking for something that better matches my sexual preference. Thank you Laraine, and have fun everyone!