Double Click ads

Started by Blinkin, September 05, 2015, 03:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

Hello All.

We are hoping that someone out there may have an effective way of killing a doubleclick ad that is popping up in IE 10.

We've tried everything that we can find on the web and it's all be ineefective. The thing only seems to be appearing in association with one site, but it's a site that we use regualrly and is making it impossible to use the site. The video ad runs on a continuous loop and after 2 or 3 cycles, it's overloading the graphics card (I think) as the screen goes black and the only way to get the screen back is to restart the computer... unless someone knows more on how to avoid it.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated as the ad is both annoying and disruptive. All of the opt out's, add-on's and cookies suggested, as well as web browser settings and suggestions that we have found have, again, not only not worked, but have actually made using the browser more difficult. Switching to firefox or chrom seems equally ineffective and is more difficult for us to use due to assessibility software.

So... help? Please?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

The Dark Raven

Is it an "AdChoices" ad?

(If so, you will need to communicate with whoever is managing the ads for the site and tell them what it is--include a screenshot--and let them know your complaints about it.)

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Aleph

Hi Blinkin,

I don't know if you've tried this, but one way to block ads is to update your hosts file. (NB: Presumption of any IT knowledge on the reader's part stops....now, so apologies if you know this bit :) )

The hosts file (note 'hosts', not 'hosts.txt') is a text file with a bunch of predefined domain name lookups. This file gets checked before a domain name is looked up online. This comes in handy when you want to speed up access to particular sites or control how they're accessed. In this case, doubleclick and its various subdomains can be added to the hosts file with the loopback address (basically an address referring to the local computer). This will knock their ads out of commission completely as the browser will try to get content from the local computer.

To use this trick,
1. Open your hosts file in a text editor (the hosts file can usually be found at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts )
2. Do a google search for "block ads host file doubleclick" or similar. The results may be a little intimidating, I just spent 3-4 minutes scrolling through a sample 'block all the things' host file to find the doubleclick entries. If you like, I'll happily PM you an edited highlights list.
3.  Copy the double click entries; which will look something like...
"127.0.0.1 ad.xy.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.yz.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 ad.za.doubleclick.net"

and paste them into the bottom of the hosts file.
4. Save the hosts file and reboot your computer.

Hope this helps!