Interest Check for an Anime 5e system game.(Now closed)

Started by Marie Reynolds, June 27, 2021, 04:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hexed

pretty interesting. I used that preorder to get a digital pdf and it told me it would be 10/21 before delivery. Just got the links to the books this morning. So evidently they are actually for sale and not preorder for october.

Marie Reynolds

@Gunmetal
You can assign the stats as wanted. but lets say you get multiple sixteens in a set. their is a very good chance you can be out of  discretionary points  really quickly or you quickly realize you may not have enough to balance both your race and stats.

The Techknight is a class with a d10 hit  die, has dex  and con saving throws and get a suit of body armor that has an ac 16 and no strength requirement and no disadvantage on stealth. YOU also get connected attribute to order of tech knights. combat Technique's  Ability score improvements, Protected against melee damage and Skill proficiency to learn more skills as you level up in the class. get simple and martial weapon proficiencies, all armor and shield proficiencies and one toll proficiency of  your  choice. the skills proficiency of your choice. also gets extra actions. So its more of like a paladinish character with some nifty abilities but no spells.

Hunters get d10 hit die light and  medium armor and shield proficiencies, one tool proficiency of your choice strength and intelligence saving throws. three skills proficiencies. you get connected combat techniques  skill proficiency  extra actions, special movement wealth ability score  improvements and the  weapon attribute item and massive damage.

@Hexed awesome to hear the pdfs are available for purchase!

Chulanowa

Alright, guess I can start juggling concepts around after work  8-)

FoxgirlJay

Got the full pdf. Only managed to read through attributes, races and classes so far.

Wouldn't it make the most sense, if you want people to play what they want to play, to instead use a Point Buy like system where you set the attributes you want, so you can play the race/style you want? Instead of leaving it up to dice. One of the attribute generation methods given in the book is just using a Point Buy system, constrained by Discretionary points.

Marie Reynolds

The problem is even if we used a point buy system you would still have to subtract the stats from the Discretionary points.  Since I was pondering making this a level 6 game I was going to ad two points per level to the discretionary points for being over level one as opposed to the one point per level. This mostly so people don't have to try and go over the recommended 2-3 defects to get extra points. As well as rolling three sets of 4d6 drop lowest re roll ones. I will try and get a  character creation document done tomorrow after work cause I have a Age system game on discord to be at. tonight after work.

Jefepato

How many players are you looking for?  To be honest, I found Anime 5e somewhat disappointing, but I'd still kinda like to give it a try before I decide I dislike it (especially since it's probably too late to cancel my order for the physical book).

If you still need more players, and assuming you want PCs to be built with the classes listed in the book, I'm leaning towards playing either a Bender or a Rogue.

Quote from: FoxgirlJay on June 29, 2021, 09:58:33 AM
Got the full pdf. Only managed to read through attributes, races and classes so far.

Wouldn't it make the most sense, if you want people to play what they want to play, to instead use a Point Buy like system where you set the attributes you want, so you can play the race/style you want? Instead of leaving it up to dice. One of the attribute generation methods given in the book is just using a Point Buy system, constrained by Discretionary points.
If a GM allows it, there is really nothing at all stopping you from just going point-buy on ability scores, and even going fully classless on character creation.  The point costs for basic stuff like HD and proficiency bonuses are there, so you have everything you need to just build a character from scratch if that's what your group wants to do.

...Some of the point costs in the book are a bit wonky, but that's a different matter entirely.

It's kinda weird -- the old BESM d20 had an actual section in the book for classless character creation, but Anime 5e doesn't.  (The old BESM d20 also had specific point costs for all the standard D&D classes' abilities.  I really hope they release a PDF of those or something -- IMO the book is incomplete without that information.)

GunmetalDreamer

Any preferences between Freelancer and Brightband association for PC backgrounds?  It seems like you'd want everyone in the same band there.

Marie Reynolds

@ Jefepato: The  dnd classes and points  breakdown are on Pg 84 of the anime 5e book. Also Anime 5e is meant to  be a  bit of a sourcebook to accompany using the 5e core book. in some instances. I think that had to do with the Open gaming license since Hasbro is involved know who know I have not read  the legal info since  3.5.

@Foxgirl Jay: If you and others  would like point buy as an option I can look into that.

@ Gunmetal:  I was going to reveal that tomorrow with the character creation stuff but  since you asked  Freelancer,

Jefepato

I must admit I'm still learning all the rules changes between D&D 5e and Anime 5e.  I kinda hope someone somewhere makes a list.

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on June 29, 2021, 06:07:14 PM
@ Jefepato: The  dnd classes and points  breakdown are on Pg 84 of the anime 5e book. Also Anime 5e is meant to  be a  bit of a sourcebook to accompany using the 5e core book. in some instances. I think that had to do with the Open gaming license since Hasbro is involved know who know I have not read  the legal info since  3.5.
The classes are listed there, but it does not break down the point values of each individual class feature, which would be very useful (and interesting) information.

(It looks like I was wrong about the old BESM d20 having that information.  But still.)

I'm not aware of any reason in the OGL that would be a problem for this.  The SRD doesn't include all the subclasses (only one subclass per class), but it does otherwise fully describe all the main classes from the PHB and their class features, so that stuff should be fully usable in OGL content.

ZameRagues

I am curious to play, but I don't have access to the book. I have a few characters from Forum games I'd be curious to try and replicate. Would probably be 2 weeks before I could get it.
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Marie Reynolds

Okay ZameRagues No problem and I can help you with character creation since you don't have the book.

With that I am  going to close the Interest check thread.

Okay everyone the first post has  been updated with Character creation rules yay!

Chulanowa

Do you want us to post characters to this thread, PM them or what?

Marie Reynolds

You can post them here. So you can also form character ties or discuss rumors or  stuff you character may have done and what people might  now about you etc.

@Everyone: I added some starting equipment stuff in character cause I am forgetful Sorry about that everyone.

FoxgirlJay

I think I'm mostly done my character sheet, now just expanding beyond the basic idea I had. Working up a Half-Dragon girl Shadow Warrior, going for the sorta... Tsundere edgy sorta vibe. Kinda generic, but fun to play for me. Knight on a quest to amass a big ol' horde, as Dragons do. Maybe also protecting someone or something.

Half dragon, 13 points. Point buy for 15 - 12 - 15 - 8 - 10 - 10 leaves me with 7 points remaining. Took Easily Distracted - Gold to get an extra 2 points. Bought Fast 1, Extra Action for 4 points, AC +2, Augmented Strength + 2

Character Sheets, think I'm done, save for any tweaks.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

First thought for a faceclaim. Naked dragongirl below. Futa, maybe yes maybe no?

Angie

I am...DEFINITELY going to need to see Character Creation in the book...
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Angie

I have an idea in mind that I would like to run past the GM: I'm planning on doing a Draconic Sorceress, and would like to have claws I can use to fight with. The Feature ability mentions it can be used to make retractable claws, but it doesn't give me a damage since it's just a feature. Basically I'm looking for a 1d4 Unarmed Strike, any idea how I could stat that to make it work in this ruleset?

EDIT: Ignore me, I didn't notice Weapon at the bottom of the Attributes

Marie Reynolds

Angie: Ah yeah its one that can missed easily I have done it a few times. Do you need anything else Angie?

Everyone: I do apologize, I caught something else I over looked I added the stuff on energy in the first post in character creation stuff.

FoxgirlJay

My sheet's updated with that change. See anything wrong with the sheet?

Marie Reynolds

FoxgirlJay: The only thing I could see Is Choosing what type of Martial  and Simple weapon you use. Instead of Just having Martial or Simple as a place holder other wise everything looks good!

FoxgirlJay

The sheet populates weirdly. Whatever I put in that box, gets put in one of the lines on the Proficiency list or vice-versa. I can probably just list the weapon name and not bother with the proficiency part, since I've got all weapon proficiency.

Marie Reynolds

Ah  understandable. I hope it works. I'll open the   editable sheet and see if  it does it on my  copy.

Ah I see the weapon damage and the Weapon prof entries up earlier in the sheet are linked. That is a weird way to do that.

Angie

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on July 01, 2021, 05:24:00 PM
Angie: Ah yeah its one that can missed easily I have done it a few times. Do you need anything else Angie?

Everyone: I do apologize, I caught something else I over looked I added the stuff on energy in the first post in character creation stuff.

The only thing is do I pick a background still? I assume I do most of the 5e stuff anyway but just wanna be sure of it.

Marie Reynolds

Yes  Angie  you still get the background. They list it right under the sorcerers  saving throws.

Angie

Okay, I think I have a sheet done up. I'm just gonna paste the raw data and tell me if I did anything wrong before I make it look pretty.

Tinalia von Grazen

Race: Human (7)
Class: Sorcerer
Background: Folk Hero
Points Spent: 92/92

HP: 38 (6 at first level + 4 at each level after + Con modifier of 1 per level + Draconic Resilience)
AC: 16

Saving Throws: Con, Cha
Skills: Arcana, Persuasion, Animal Handling, Survival
Proficiencies: Land vehicles, Jeweler’s Tools
Weapon Proficiencies: daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows

STR: 9 (10)
DEX: 15 (16)
CON: 11 (12)
INT: 10 (11)
WIS: 11 (12)
CHA: 15 (16) +2 at 4th level

Spellcasting: 5 + 4/4/3
Sorcerous Origin: Draconic (Bronze Dragon)
Draconic Resilience (+1 HP per level, AC set to 13 + Dex)
Elemental Affinity: Lightning
Font of Magic (6 points)
Metamagic: Careful, Quickened

Connected, Merchant’s League 1 rank (1 point)
Weapon: Lightning Breath (Range 2, 4 ranks, Save 2 DC 18, Unreliable) (Total Points: 3) (Damage 3d6) (Dex Based attack)
Extra Action 1 (4 points)
Weapon: Dragon Claws (3 ranks, Non-Penetrating) (3d6 damage) (Dex based “Finesse” weapon)
Flight 1 (3 points)
Regeneration 2 (2 points)

Hounded -2 (Various nobles seek to conscript her to their house as a “court mage”. She dislikes this)

Spells Known:
0: Shocking Grasp, Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion, Mage Hand, Light
1: Witch Bolt, Charm Person, Detect Magic
2: Invisibility, Suggestion
3: Lightning Bolt, Hypnotic Pattern