Pokemon Gijinka Sandbox Game [Interest Check]

Started by PentheWonderful, June 20, 2021, 02:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: Kissa on June 26, 2021, 04:09:40 AM
Oh noo!~

One's curse is someone's blessing, or at least I would think someone might consider tied Umbreon appearing on his doorstep in a cardboard box as a blessing  ;)

I mean, denying it at this point would just be an outright lie, so...

;)

Geez, you two tempting me to snag that Umbreon Brother role. No! Bad Vergil! xD
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Amarlo

Speaking of brother, this is super cool. o:

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Chaosfox

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on June 26, 2021, 12:41:49 AM
I mean, loyalty to the Crown and the foreswearing of any political office for the duration of their term (save the Lord Commander, which is a pseudo-political office in its own right). They also need to give up any inheritance from any noble titles. No celibacy or anything.

So you have to  explain the way this works to me. Everything does make sense..... except for you sat the forswearing of any political office for the duration of  their term Now as I said every thing does make sense but the part I put in bold kind of make the giving up any intermittence or noble titles a bit odd. I mean what happens after  there time with the Guard? Do they go back to being eligible  the inheritance and regain their titles. And lets say they are an only child and the their parents die while they are serving what happens then?  This seems like it could cause a few issues or is this a case of maybe I should not be reading post right after waking up XD
There is no Order only Chaos and all the joys that it brings. 
This way too On's and Off's

Pink Professional

I would assume it is a conflict of interest thing. While you are a Royal Guard, you can't hold office and you foreswear any political allegiance or inheritance. If, for whatever reason, you think it is more important that you serve in that office, or inherit your titles, you would be force to leave said Royal Guards.

With the fact that it is a role with terms, I would assume a member of the guard can leave whenever it is deemed convenient by the Captain.

Vergil Tanner

Basically what Pink said, yeah. Royal Guardship isn't for life, unless you accept the position of Lord Commander.

See, most guards will retire at some point, or get injured, or simple decide that they don't want to be a soldier any more. It's part of being a professional soldier, you are technically free to leave; you have to serve a minimum of 6 years in the position, after which you're free to retire. Thing is, it's a brotherhood, with a strong emphasis on loyalty and your brothers in arms, so a large percentage of the Knights end up staying for far longer. The other side of things is that you don't have to be a Noble to join, or rise through the ranks; there have been commoner Lord Commanders before, so many of the Knights don't actually have titles to return to.
Those that do can reclaim their noble inheritance and whatnot a year after they've left the Guards; it's to stop you from having political allegiances and whatnot. It basically makes the Royal Knights your life for as long as you're in it. The catch is that you can't return once you leave; once you're out, you're out. The only exception is the Lord Commander; that's a position for life, because it is technically a political office, so your only title becomes allegiance to the Crown and the Royal Knights.

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Marie Reynolds

@Pen the wonderful or Vergil: Would  sleep sacks armbinders and leg binders and straitjackets be in the realm of possibility for the  Technology level of the game?

Well If some one wanted to leave a tied up Umbreon on My Galvantula's gal's vacation home door step. No complaints in sight.

Vergil Tanner

I don't see why not, they're pretty simple things to make.

Marie Reynolds

Just wanted to be sure, To avoid retcons or anything in her list of goods offered.

Vergil Tanner

Chaosfox

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on June 26, 2021, 06:01:06 AM
Basically what Pink said, yeah. Royal Guardship isn't for life, unless you accept the position of Lord Commander.

See, most guards will retire at some point, or get injured, or simple decide that they don't want to be a soldier any more. It's part of being a professional soldier, you are technically free to leave; you have to serve a minimum of 6 years in the position, after which you're free to retire. Thing is, it's a brotherhood, with a strong emphasis on loyalty and your brothers in arms, so a large percentage of the Knights end up staying for far longer. The other side of things is that you don't have to be a Noble to join, or rise through the ranks; there have been commoner Lord Commanders before, so many of the Knights don't actually have titles to return to.
Those that do can reclaim their noble inheritance and whatnot a year after they've left the Guards; it's to stop you from having political allegiances and whatnot. It basically makes the Royal Knights your life for as long as you're in it. The catch is that you can't return once you leave; once you're out, you're out. The only exception is the Lord Commander; that's a position for life, because it is technically a political office, so your only title becomes allegiance to the Crown and the Royal Knights.

I mean yea I get that it makes sense. But still does not explain what happens if say the person is an only child and the parents pass away why said child is serving.  And then they have to wait a year to go back once they are out?  Parts of this just seem a bit odd.  You would think there would be something offered to those that served in theses ranks and retired in good standing (or were forced out do to a injury but were in good standing) . Theses are suppose to be the direct soldiers  to the royal family which probably means they are most likely some of the most loyal subjects why else would they want to do this in the first place.  And the waiting for a year after leaving?  That part is hard to wrap my head around Again I get the giving it up for the period they are  serving but having to wait a year once they leave to regain their inheritance and titles... again the same problem arise  with my only child scenario.  This is not an attack of the concept I get it and  think its a good one just seems kind of like.... there is almost no draw for a noble to join the royal guard no matter  how loyal or how much they may like the royal family.

Vergil Tanner

They're getting paid a lot and get given a small parcel of land to live on for as long as they're in the Guard +1 year. The waiting period is so that any inside information they have is useless because they don't have the influence or titles to use it, so after that year...boom, it's outdated now.

And yeah, it's almost as if they want to discourage Nobles from joining solely for political or financial reasons and want to make sure the people joining are doing it out of loyalty to the Royal Family rather than personal gain. Funny that, eh? :P :P
Seriously, I get the confusion, but the point of the Royal Knights is to protect the Royal Family, because they're loyal to the Royal Family, not because they'll get rich for doing it. They get paid well and their expenses are largely taken care of while they're within the ranks, but if you want political power and wealth, then you should look elsewhere...which is the point :P

Chaosfox

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on June 26, 2021, 07:05:13 AM
They're getting paid a lot and get given a small parcel of land to live on for as long as they're in the Guard +1 year. The waiting period is so that any inside information they have is useless because they don't have the influence or titles to use it, so after that year...boom, it's outdated now.

And yeah, it's almost as if they want to discourage Nobles from joining solely for political or financial reasons and want to make sure the people joining are doing it out of loyalty to the Royal Family rather than personal gain. Funny that, eh? :P :P
Seriously, I get the confusion, but the point of the Royal Knights is to protect the Royal Family, because they're loyal to the Royal Family, not because they'll get rich for doing it. They get paid well and their expenses are largely taken care of while they're within the ranks, but if you want political power and wealth, then you should look elsewhere...which is the point :P

Ok the year after that makes sense and yes I get the part about what you are saying in the rest of your post.  All that I understand.  I'm still curious what happens if  again an only child joins and their parents pass while they are serving?  Is the kingdom  going to hold on to the lands and such until said knight leaves?  Or will it jsut be gone since they no longer have a claim on it.  This is more a question of curiosity then me implying anything.

Vergil Tanner

Honestly, they would probably ask the only child what their plans are. "Do you intend to leave the Knights and reclaim the title and land, or do you intend to stay with the Knights for the long term?" And go from there. The chances are in the latter case, the lands would be folded into the Crown's holdings, and if the kid changed his mind, they'd be given back, and if he died without reclaiming the titles and / or siring an heir, they'd be redistributed to a new Noble that would be raised to fill the spot.

Vergil Tanner

Chaosfox

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on June 26, 2021, 07:27:10 AM
Honestly, they would probably ask the only child what their plans are. "Do you intend to leave the Knights and reclaim the title and land, or do you intend to stay with the Knights for the long term?" And go from there. The chances are in the latter case, the lands would be folded into the Crown's holdings, and if the kid changed his mind, they'd be given back, and if he died without reclaiming the titles and / or siring an heir, they'd be redistributed to a new Noble that would be raised to fill the spot.

OK that makes sense, trust me if  I had a character that was part of a the royal guard it would be they joined  because of loyalty to the royal family.... I just sometimes think about things and then wonder how they work. Also I do have  a question regarding Inherent abilities vs special abilities.  So reading  through the characters that are posted it does seem that some basic movies can be used.  At least that is what I am reading with the Limited  Areokinesis and Limited Herbokinesis.   

So I am allredey  postive if I wanted mt Salazzle to have Corrosion that would take up a special ability spot.  Now I was actually thinking of using this Image So my question is if she wanted to be able to add  poison or fire to her whip through say pyrokiinesis or Toxikenisis  would that be in the relm of limited for either one of those?  And no I saw it I Jsut figured I would ask my question here while I was responding to your last post :P

Vergil Tanner

Basic abilities are things that the species in general gets, like limited control of their elements, or things that their body gives them. EG, Sharpedos can breathe underwater and Staraptors can fly. Special Abilities are things like Abilities and Lore. So if your Salazzle had a fire-resistant whip, yes, they could light their whip on fire, or apply their natural toxins to said whip as if they were poisoning the weapon. But they would need to specifically apply their inherent ability, it wouldn't be a property of the weapon.

Chaosfox

Yea that was what I was asking if they could apply the inherent ability to the whip. SO then I am safe to assume that like in the  games that poison types are inherently resist to poison? Or are those kinds  of things  going to work different in this universe?

Vergil Tanner

No, Type Advantage is still a thing. It's not AS important, but it's still a consideration.

Chaosfox

OK thanks still not 100% what I will do for  her seceond ability but  I have some Ideas..... I think

Zadaris

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on June 25, 2021, 10:28:46 PM

Aaaah, so a respectful admirer, eh? Is she "looking respectfully?" :P

About as respectfully as he is ;)

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on June 25, 2021, 10:28:46 PM
What kind of "non professional" relationship are you considering, eh? ;)

A lady never tells....

And the recruitment thread is up! I'm gonna jump on over to that and see how delightful it is!

"The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them, into the impossible."

Vergil Tanner

Kinda need to tell me if you want it to happen ;) :P

Vergil Tanner

In case people didn't see it, the recruitment thread is up and we've just started IC Play! <3

Marie Reynolds

So besides Demtrius getting reports what is supposed to be going on in the residential district or is it just a free for all?

Vergil Tanner

This is not the place to ask that, Marie. Ask in the OOC provided, or send me a DM.