Feychaser (Original fantasy freeform)

Started by Ontan, June 14, 2017, 09:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ontan

The world is unravelling.

Magic has always waxed and waned over the centuries… but never before has it grown so weak, so quickly. The last 80 years has seen it fade to a shadow of its former brilliance, and many have begun to fear something is deeply wrong with the world itself. This terrible phenomenon is known as the Wasting. Our leaders tell us everything is fine, but magic grows thin, as if strangled at the source.

Say what you want of our western neighbours: while we ‘civilised’ folk did nothing, the ancient nation of orcs tried to find a solution. They convened a grand gathering of royals, mages, and holy men of all races in order to address the crisis, and for weeks the passage to their ageless stone ziggurats remained blocked while leaders of all nations deliberated as equals. In the end, it was the orcish hosts who discovered the cause for the Wasting. Lead by the high shaman himself – their living link between earthly races and the gods – they gathered on the monolithic steps to address the masses huddled below. With eyes downcast and shoulders slumped, they told of their findings. They said that magic, the very essence of our world, was almost spent. They said there was only one way to restore balance: a terrible and almighty culling of life.

The shamans wept openly as they incanted the profane spells that opened their portals to oblivion. By the time anyone realised what was happening, it was already too late. The sky turned red, and untold tides of demons poured forth from the otherworldly maws. This demonic invasion is known as The Cull, and it spills towards every horizon in its crusade against mortal life. Its leaders – the shamans who command the portals – are known as the Weeping Sages.

The realm, divided.

Sometimes, I wonder if the walls of our glorious city aren’t a little too tall. In our safety, we’ve grown blind to the calamities abroad, and the suffering of our neighbours.

In the north, the tyrannical Empire carves a path of conquest and slaughter against any non-human who defies them. For too long we have considered Imperial aggression to be a northern problem… but The Cull has changed everything. The Empire grows bold as magic weakens: even as their emissaries mouth words of peace and cooperation against the demonic invasion, they put the last of their enemies to the sword, and soon their gaze will turn south. The Cull has created a vacuum of power, and the avaricious gaze of the Empire senses opportunity in chaos.

To the west, civil war simmers as the populace is torn between those who would fight against The Cull, and those who feel that the gods’ will must be obeyed unto annihilation. Survival or faith: it is a terrible decision to impose upon anyone, and the western states have already started to tear themselves apart... and all the while, The Cull sweeps their scattered armies aside. Be it from Imperials, demons, or their own zealous kin, countless thousands of refugees are being driven from their ancestral homes, but none of them know how to march. I fear many of them will not be able to outrun the coming slaughter.

Even the very heavens are divided against themselves. I know they weep just as the orcish shamans do, but so many of our gods would see whole nations eradicated so that the world itself may survive. Countless holy men and women – be they primeval shamans or civilised clerics – have been forced to join the Cull, or had their powers stripped by the deity they once served. There are still a handful of gods who have not forsaken us, but with the Wasting weakening what little magic remains, things look desperately bleak for most of the realm…

But here in the east? Reamsul stands strong against any storm. Forget the north, and forget the west. Forget the realm of the gods. In our hearts of hearts, we know The Cull isn’t our problem, because whatever happens we’ll be safe in the city. We won’t even have to fight on the walls if we don’t want to. But we will have to live with ourselves afterwards…

A mission of mercy…

We can take our good fortune for granted, or we can use it to save hundreds. Think on it: whole families and communities spared from the nightmarish slaughter of The Cull. A dozen terrified children saved from a demon’s fangs, then a dozen more.

Look around at the other people gathered here. I know what we can do, but more importantly, I know what we cannot. I am not asking for heroes to save the world. I am only asking for a few brave souls to crew my ship. If you can hold a weapon, read a map, or tend a wound, then you can do this job, and do it well. Hells, if all you can do is help someone’s grandmother shuffle up a plank, then that’s all I’m asking of you. 

My ship, the Feychaser, will follow the coastline until we reach the hamlet of Twin Bridges – it’s as good a place as any. We will offer passage to those poor souls stranded there, and then we sail straight back to Reamsul. That’s it. One stop, with no heroics and no distractions, and we’ll be back long before The Cull gets anywhere near us. Your conscience will be lighter for it… and in case it matters, your purse will be considerably heavier. I’ll see to that with my own coin.

We leave at first light. I sincerely hope to see you then.

Ontan

OOC Information

Welcome to Feychaser!

The two main sources of inspiration are the Banner Saga franchise, and an E-forums original, Darkplague: The Evil Embrace.  That said, this game will draw upon an entirely original lore, with plenty of room for players to fill in blanks and make their own contributions to the setting as a whole. Plot wise, the story will centre on a group of not-yet-heroes trying to lead a band of refugees to safety as the world around them threatens to spiral into chaos.

A few features include:
  • 80% Plot, 20% smut: The emphasis will be on story and character development. Erotic content will be entirely optional, but I'll make sure there's opportunity for that too. 
  • NC Forums: Notwithstanding the above point, the game will feature some slightly dark themes, so it will be placed in the NC group forums. Extreme content will not be explicitly posted: at most, it’ll be alluded to before the scene ‘fades to black’.
  • Dark fantasy setting: The game will take place in an entirely original fantasy setting where magic is starting to fail. I’ll be aiming for a gritty feel to the theme, albeit with a bit of humour to break things up now and then. Story-wise, it’ll be a tale of exploration and survival rather than a save-the-world epic.
  • Freeform: Some light dice rolling may feature for critical events, but this won’t be a rules-based game. The GM will take care of the dicebot!
  • Game length: The game will comprise of six distinct chapters, with players dropping in and out as needed. I’ll wait to see how much interest there is before setting any limits on player numbers.
  • Posting frequency: Whatever you can manage, but ideally once per week at a minimum.
  • Character classes: Occupation, background, and class are entirely flexible, but I ask that players mostly aim for a novice or journeyman vibe when creating their characters. If you really want to play a seasoned hero, I might make an exception or two, but the overall theme should be on novice adventurers getting caught up in events beyond their control. 
  • Less time on a ship than you might expect: It wouldn’t be an adventure if everything went according to plan…

If this looks like it might be your thing, let me know by leaving a few questions or comments - and while you're at it, maybe have a quick peek at the Worldbuilding Thread!

Character Creation

Templates for character sheets are provided below. A few points about character creation:
  • No anime, please. Photos or semi-realistic artwork are both fine.
  • Characters can start in either Reamsul, or the hamlet of Twin Bridges. Notwithstanding one short round of prelude posts, the story itself will start with the Feychaser’s arrival at the hamlet.
  • When creating your character, aim for a low or moderate level of power. Most PCs should either be in the early stages of their adventuring career, or even setting out on their very first journey. However, if you really want to play a seasoned veteran, send a PM.
  • For character background, feel free to make up minor factions or locations (e.g. a centaur settlement in Reamsul, etc.). So long as it doesn’t clash with anything in the worlbuilding thread, it should be fine.
  • Finally, don’t be afraid of role redundancy! This isn’t an MMO, and there’s no requirement to have a perfectly balanced trinity of tanks, damage, and support. Try to think of a character you’ll enjoy playing, rather than feeling obligated to fulfil or avoid certain roles.

I’ll be adding some character sheets for the two main NPCs, demonstrating a detailed and brief CS respectively. Until then, the basic framework is provided below. Feel free to post any questions, ideas, or drafts right here in the thread... or, if you want your character to be a surprise, just PM it instead.

Player Name: Your username for the E-forums.
Character Name: The name of your character, along with any titles or aliases.
Concept: A short summary of your character. Basically, it’s their character class.
Race, Age: Exactly what it sounds like. The minimum character age is 18!

Place of origin: Where your character lived before The Cull. They’ll need to start aboard the Feychaser (or in Twin Bridges, awaiting its arrival), but how they end up there is entirely up to you.
Appearance and Mannerisms: Their general appearance, and how they carry themselves in public. Also include any noteworthy pieces of equipment.
Background: A summary of your character’s personal history, and the events that led to them joining (or awaiting) the Feychaser on its mission of mercy. It can be as long or brief as you like.

Skills (3-5): Your character’s training and abilities. This includes spellcasting! Please include a general indication of the level of competency (novice, apprentice, journeyman, etc.).
Strengths: Distinct from their skills, these represent the character’s innate virtues. Courage, alertness, and empathy are all good examples.
Flaws: The personality flaws of your character. Try to make them meaningful! Please avoid “inexperienced” or “naïve” – that’s just part of being an amateur adventurer.

Connections: If you’re looking for a pre-existing connection to another character, such as a childhood friend or long-term spouse, place the request here. Similarly, note connections that have already been established.
Ons and Offs: The ons and offs that apply to your character. If your OOC player preferences don’t match with your character’s desires (eg NC scenes), please clarify which is which.

[float=right][img height=250 padding=5]http://i63.tinypic.com/1056xys.jpg[/img][/float]
[b]Player Name:[/b]
[b]Character Name: [/b]
[b]Concept: [/b]
[b]Race (Age):[/b]

[b]Place of origin: [/b]
[b]Appearance and Mannerisms: [/b]
[b]Background: [/b]

[b]Skills (3-5): [/b]
[b]Strengths: [/b]
[b]Flaws: [/b]

[b]Connections: [/b]
[b]Ons and Offs: [/b]

pdragon

Looks really cool, I'm throwing in my interest.

As far as questions, what would be the process of creating our own God/Goddess? Would you like a formal "sheet" or anything like that? something similar to what's in the world building thread for example? I have two vastly different character ideas but both would require making a new god and/or religious branch.
What a thrill...with silence and darkness through the night....

Request Thread

Ontan

Thanks for the interest!

For making your own god / goddess, a short blurb (like in the world building thread) is fine. That said, anything further would be a nice bonus, especially if you want them to have a few nuances that set them apart.

Rajah

This is an astoundingly cool premise and I'm honestly shocked it hasn't gotten many bites up until now. Are you still looking to run it?
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

whimsy

o/o ⊱ ☯ ⊰ a/a

TheHangedOne

A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Ontan

THM and whimsy:Thanks for the interest!

Rajah: Yes! I'm still looking to run it. If I can get 6-8 expressions of interest, then I'll open up recruitment and put up a template for character sheets. That said, people are still welcome to submit things (characters, gods, etc.) before then.

whimsy

Quote from: Ontan on June 20, 2017, 08:40:44 PMIf I can get 6-8 expressions of interest, then I'll open up recruitment and put up a template for character sheets.

Can't wait! I'm definitely starting on a character in the meantime ^^
o/o ⊱ ☯ ⊰ a/a

CATastrophe

Chronoclasm

I really shouldn't join anymore games.

But I'm too interested not to say "I'm interested." ::)

Count mine as tentative interest. I may put in a sheet after I read a bit more of the worldbuilding, if you do open for recruiting. But either way, whether I join or not, I do just want to say that you've done a great job with the setup Ontan.
"Being with you and not being with you is the only way I have to measure time." ― Jorge Luis Borges

Ser

*raises hand*

Sign me up for the next war! Very cool, I'm in if you open it up ;)

Kadigan

I would be very interested, been a while since a fantasy game has piqued my interests.

la dame en noir

Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Ontan

[Character sheet templates have been moved to the top of the thread!]

Dys Astyr

Ooohhh, this sounds so exciting! I'm on my phone currently but I'm gonna be all over this once I can get on a real computer. ;D
Alive! Trying to catch up but there is a lot, please be patient! Thank you. <3

TheHangedOne

Player Name: THM
Character Name: Caecus Bellator
Concept: Downtrodden Outcast/Crippled Warrior/Justice Seeker
Race: Human, 27

Place of origin: Reamsul
Appearance and Mannerisms: Caecus often wears dirty clothes, as befitting one of the downtrodden; he also carries a staff with him, made of solid ironwood, and capped with metal at each end, which is likely worth more than the various little trinkets he carries with him. His eyes, and indeed, most of his face, remains bandaged. He appears to be in his late twenties. A pendant hangs around his neck, showing two closed eyes, and a third, opened eye in a triangular formation; a holy symbol for the blind god of Hidden and Forbidden knowledge. He can constantly be heard murmuring to himself, or tapping his staff around.
Background: A human, he was born with poor eyesight, which gradually developed into full on blindness. He was shoved out onto the streets by his parents who could not afford to care for a cripple; but a community of the poor and disenfranchised where willing to take him in, and he learned to be a beggar, often earning a quite deal of sympathy from his milk-white eyes, which saw nothing of his surroundings.

One day, as a teen, a man approached him, and asked him if he was content with his life; Caecus responded that no, he had nothing to truly be happy about it. His life was one of agony and suffering, even if those around him meant well and did what they could for him. The man enjoyed his honesty, and offered to teach him something; it would not give him his sight back, but it would show him how he could understand the world around him in a different way.

It was with this stranger that he learned how to perceive the "melody of the universe" around him; how to interpret it, and interact with it. How to let it guide him, and, should he need to, how he could disrupt it. The man also gave him the medallion, and told him to keep it close, to study it with his fingers, and contemplate on its meaning and its nature; that one day, he would understand.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
Skills (3-5): Blind-fighting (In melee combat, he suffers no penalty from his blind condition) (Journeyman),  Hidden Awareness (can discern the location of traps and hidden doors) (Novice), Enigmas (Puzzles, riddles, and esoteric knowledge have become his bread and butter) (Apprentice).
Strengths: Calm Heart (Doesn't give into anger or fly off the handle), Strong Morals (Difficult to corrupt or influence), Strong Constitution (Living on the streets breeds hardiness)
Flaws: Downtrodden (He's a bum! He talks nonsense all the tim. What a loony! Who can take him seriously?), Blind (Can't physically perceive the world around him; while his blind-fighting skill helps him overcome this to some degree, there are still many tasks that he is utterly unsuited to perform, or could only do with assistance).

Connections: - Open
Ons and Offs:   https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=191021.msg9257412#msg9257412
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Ontan

Dys Astyr: Welcome  :-)

THM: Looking good! I've sent off a PM to check one or two points before finalising approval, but on the whole Caecus is looking like a fine start to the roster of adventurers. 

People in general: I've made a very small change to the character sheets, namely the addition of a race / age line to provide a slightly clearer snapshot for each character. I'm also hoping to get the last of the Worldbuilding thread sorted out over the next few days, but even in it's final state I'll still be leaving some space for people to add their own lore (more gods, locations, etc.).

Kadigan

Hoping this is good and people like. Ever the fear on posting the profile!

Player Name: BarbaraGordon

Character Name: Linara

Concept: Awkward Monster Looking for her Place

Race (Age): Homunculus (24)

Place of origin: Unknown

Appearance and Mannerisms: Standing 5’6, Linara, for the most part, looks very human. She has blonde hair, and besides from strangely red eyes, can pass for a human without much problem. She has a pair of wings, small as they are, that can be tucked against her back and while a bit uncomfortable, fitting beneath most clothes. Currently they’re not strong enough to do more then flap or twitch. A few patches of her skin, thankfully easily covered, have scales on them.

Mannerisms: She’s a bit shy, from years of hiding and running from various people of the law and her “father,” as well as people recoiling from her. The few people she’s talked too and made something of friends with when she opens up, she can be silly at times, though still awkward.

Background: Linara was created in a laboratory and that’s as much as she knows about her background. She was an attempt to create something new by mixing it with something old and dangerous, but something in the mixture was wrong and the resulting accident allowed her to seize upon her freedom. The few brief memories she has of her time in the lab are of pain and being poked and prodded. The person or persons doing so were of high standing however, and if word of the embarrassing experiment escape got out well..that wouldn’t do. They’ve been looking for her for quite some time.

After escaping and before she learned the names of things she wandered for several weeks before finally coming upon a large city. She survived those intervening weeks by catching fat, dumb and slow things, or just eating whatever leaves she could find.  It was easy to blend in, robes and hoods making it easy to stay hidden. Eventually, Linara took her name from the first time she over heard a mother reading a child a story from a book, not knowing it was about a cute armadillo that caused mischief, unwittingly taking the moderately famous character's name.  She took what she needed, fled when spotted, and generally kept to herself. She helped a few people though who repaid her with small bits of kindness and foods. So she wanders about the city, looking for some place to belong or fit in.

Skills (3-5): Linara has the ability to generate fire from her mouth, via two glands that were implanted on either side of her cheeks. They generate chemicals that ignite upon contact with each other and air. It’s taken quite some practice to keep them from leaking and to control them, but she does not have a lot of experience in using them in fights (she has defended herself with them a few times.) (Journeyman)

She is physically as strong as a fit male, her slight frame hiding this fact from most who look at her as an easy prey or meal. (Novice)

From her years living on the streets she has a fair ability to snatch things away from booths, food and clothing, though she is by no means an accomplished thief. (Barely Competent)

Strengths: Linara was never going to be a perfect weapon, as she was possessed with a conscience. She’s well aware that her actions while living on the run have hurt people trying to simply get by and feels bad for it. She longs to fit in, and to belong to a group as well, eager to make friends and connections. She cannot ignore someone in need either, at times exposing her true self to help them even when it has put her in risk. She is also very curious and eager to learn things, but hasn’t been given a lot of chances.

Flaws: She lacks a lot of real world experience, as she’s only been out in the world for a few years now, and also having been in the city. Things like sword fighting (or practical fighting of any kind), sailing, foraging in the wilderness are mysteries to her, things only heard of in conversations.

The more she uses her “gifts” the more she has found she needs to eat to restore the energy taken. Prolonged usage can seriously injure or hurt her if she were not careful to rest and restore herself somewhere in there.

She has also through snippets of overhearing things, figured out what she is, and worries that she’ll continue to change into something more and more inhuman or dangerous, or uncontrollable.

Connections: Open, also her “parents” are still seeking her.

Ons and Offs:

MisoThe Mouse

ONTAN!!
*Secret Indigo Star Handshake*

I am interested, have a half Orc Berserker I never really got to play much.

Ontan

Super quick update!

THM: Thanks for the PMs. Caecus is approved!

Barbara: I'm liking what you've done, but there are one or two things I'll need to iron out. They're all very minor, so don't worry. I'll send off a PM just as soon as I get the chance.

MTM: MISO!! Glad to have you aboard  ;D

People making characters: I've got a couple of PMs about this, so I'm putting out a little snippet for Reamsul's provincial heartlands. Information on some of Reamsul's other locations has been added to the Worldbuilding thread, too.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Sheltered by the Whitewatch range on two borders, and with Reamsul’s fleets patrolling the third along the coast, Reamsul’s heartlands have become synonymous with peace, wealth, and stability.

[...]

It’s not all plump villages and sleepy castles, though. Just as the west has trade enclaves that provide little islands of civilisation, Reamsul is home to a few “special administrative areas”, where assimilated cultures can still express their ancestral traditions. Provided their… foibles… remain self-contained (and visitors are given assurances of safety), these territories are afforded certain freedoms to do as they please. Inchel valley is home to three orc tribes, who are permitted to conduct their violent little wars on one another; Folduin Point has a particularly rough clan of humans who collar their women like livestock, even though slavery is frowned upon throughout most of Reamsul.

Giantmutantcrab

*purchases a ticket*

^___^

*waits six hours in line for all the cool kids to go in first*

-_-

*hands over ticket*

^_^

*is totally interested*

Dys Astyr

Player Name:Dys Astyr

Character Name: Dakka

Concept: Fighting Naturalist/Scientist (Ten points to anyone who gets this reference. :P)

Race (Age): Half Orc - 28

Place of origin: Durthak, but is rather nomadic.

Appearance and Mannerisms: Tall enough to be eye to eye with most human men, and Dakka finds one of the perks to being half orc is that she can carry around more equipment and notebooks. Generally she is always examining something, scribbling notes and mumbling to herself/anyone who is bored enough to listen. She usually carries a large knife, plus several smaller ones of various sizes and blade shapes, field journal and pencil, calipers, measuring tape, and other manner of small items that might be of use to someone who likes to examine things.

Dakka is generally easy going and friendly, though she does have a habit of punching things that are causing her frustration, be it people or otherwise. She isn't used to being around people that don't know her and doesn't really understanding niceties and manners like personal space. Or that people don't necessarily like being poked and studied. 

Background: Born to an orc mother and a human father, Dakka was raised by a caring (if strange) family group. Her parents, uncle (orc) and grandfather (human) lived a semi-nomadic life. The male members of her family are completely obsessed with studying, experimenting, and documenting a wide range of subjects: plants and animals, astronomy, geology, technology and medicine. Her mother, a skilled warrior, made sure she grew strong and was able to take care of herself while her other relatives imparted to her a sense of curiosity and love of knowledge/discovery. They already happened to be heading east when the Cull started and managed to make it to the safety of Reamsul without too much trouble. While her family (with the exception of her mother) are happy to stay in Reamsul and study new forms of technology, Dakka still has an itch to explore despite the danger. While even she knows that it's not a good idea she wants to study the demons too.

Skills (3-5): Brawler: (a wise man avoids challenging orcs to bar fights) Journeyman. Knowledge is Power: (knows a bit about everything, generally just enough to get into trouble) Apprentice. Tinkerer: (it's mostly fixed) Apprentice. Knife Fighting: (that's not a knife, this is a knife) Novice. Wortcraft: (as part of her studies she knows how to use plants, to help and to hurt) Novice.

Strengths: Dakka is a quick study, easily picking up the mechanics behind things. (This doesn't mean she is an instant expert, just that you can show her something once and leave her to practice on her own. Speed with which she gains proficiency varies with what she is learning.) Being half orc she is also pretty sturdy. She is observant and has a good memory. Living a mostly nomadic lifestyle means she's got outdoorsy skills/experience.

Flaws: Having spent most of her life with her family and close family friends Dakka isn't acclimated to serious conflicts. Not good at lying/bluffing, basically doesn't have much of a poker face to speak of. She also doesn't understand the concept of keeping information to herself. While she is good with her fists, she doesn't have much proficiency with weapons, even her knife is more of a tool than anything. Easily distracted by things she finds interesting, even in situations where that isn't appropriate.

Connections: Open

Ons and Offs: O_O

Kadigan

Dys Astyr

Quote from: BarbaraGordon on June 26, 2017, 07:50:44 PM
Is that a Master and Commander reference?

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! ;D

And I was going to put a picture of the Galapagos pudding, but apparently no stills of that exist on the internet. XD