Na na na na na na na na, na na na na na na na na... #SFBatkid

Started by Ebb, November 15, 2013, 03:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebb

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/live (video)

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-make-a-wish-foundation

Or follow #SFBatkid on Twitter

Basically one of the best things I've seen on the Internet in about forever. It's going on now in San Francisco. The Make-a-Wish foundation has set up a full day adventure for a 5 year old kid with leukemia, where he's teaming up with Batman to defeat The Riddler (that was before lunch) and The Penguin on the streets of San Francisco. There are tens of thousands of people watching this kid do his stuff.

Caeli

I saw this explode on my Facebook feed yesterday. It's seriously the most adorable thing ever.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Toral Stimins

Apparently some woman on Twitter questioned who should pay for it all. So not the kid's things, but the police, fire department and those things. It was mentioned in one of the threads on the other side of the curtain.

Made the Dutch news as well.

Shjade

I was trying not to be a downer, but I had similar thoughts. Not so much about paying for it all - I wouldn't be completely surprised if the cops and so on volunteered time for something like that - but the hassle it must have caused in the city. It wasn't even a weekend. People had to go to/from work and they had all this completely blocking off streets and no doubt causing excess traffic throughout any part of the city the event passed through? Yeah, I'm sure they thought that was adorable.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

Back when I lived in the DC area, any time there was a big event downtown (parades, protest marches - big stuff like that), there were announcements and routes posted in the papers so that people could make adjustments to their daily commute.  I'd be surprised if something of this scale didn't have a similar plan in place, seeing as how you have to file for permits to get the streets blocked well in advance.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Toral Stimins

Quote from: Oniya on November 16, 2013, 01:46:12 PM
Back when I lived in the DC area, any time there was a big event downtown (parades, protest marches - big stuff like that), there were announcements and routes posted in the papers so that people could make adjustments to their daily commute.  I'd be surprised if something of this scale didn't have a similar plan in place, seeing as how you have to file for permits to get the streets blocked well in advance.

I live in a small town (to US measurements) in England and we've got the fair in town since Wednesday. They put up notices all around town 3 weeks ago. All businesses were warned, in a personal letter.

I'd be extremely surprised if there's anyone in BatKid's place who didn't know about that. I mean, really?

Shjade

Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Florence

O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.