News:

Main Menu

Horror Games

Started by persephone325, May 11, 2014, 04:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persephone325

Anyone who knows me, knows that I absolutely LOVE horror games. Specifically video games, but any kind of horror game will do.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good horror games that I can sink my teeth into.

Games I have, or have played

~All the Fatal Frame games
~All the Resident Evil games
~Kuon
~Outlast
~Siren
~Rule of Rose
~Ju-On (for the Wii)
~Amnesia
~Anna
~Killing Floor
~Dead Space
~Still Life & Still Life 2
~Post Mortem
~Haunted Memories
~Parasite Eve
~Hysteria Project & Hysteria Project 2
~Corpse Party

MMOs and free to play games are great as well. ^^
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Dotley

If you liked Rule of Rose you might want to check out Haunting Ground  :-)
O&O's || A&A's

"I don’t use people for stories.
I use stories to express my feelings for people."

persephone325

Quote from: Dotley on May 11, 2014, 05:01:48 PM
If you liked Rule of Rose you might want to check out Haunting Ground  :-)

Oh yeah! I do have that. I've played it to about 100% completion. lol
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Hemingway

I really like Alan Wake. I know it's huge, so you may already have played it, but here's my opinion on it.

It's not horror in the way that Amnesia is horror, it's on a more psychological level. It's directly inspired by Stephen King, and even opens with a King quote on the nature of horror and mystery, and how unanswered mysteries stay with us the longest. It's a game that really tries to take that to heart, and that's where a lot of the horror comes from. Enemies can be scary, and they sometimes jump out at you, but you're generally well-equipped to deal with them. It's more about the narrative and the mystery.

There's unfortunately no sequel coming any time soon, so the story doesn't really have a proper conclusion. It's still very much worth playing.

F.E.A.R. is also a great game, if you're into first person shooters. The first game is scary as all hell, even if 2 & 3 aren't as good.

persephone325

Quote from: Hemingway on May 11, 2014, 05:25:11 PM
I really like Alan Wake. I know it's huge, so you may already have played it, but here's my opinion on it.

It's not horror in the way that Amnesia is horror, it's on a more psychological level. It's directly inspired by Stephen King, and even opens with a King quote on the nature of horror and mystery, and how unanswered mysteries stay with us the longest. It's a game that really tries to take that to heart, and that's where a lot of the horror comes from. Enemies can be scary, and they sometimes jump out at you, but you're generally well-equipped to deal with them. It's more about the narrative and the mystery.

There's unfortunately no sequel coming any time soon, so the story doesn't really have a proper conclusion. It's still very much worth playing.

F.E.A.R. is also a great game, if you're into first person shooters. The first game is scary as all hell, even if 2 & 3 aren't as good.

I've played Alan Wake, too! I don't have the DLC though. But I did enjoy the game. I liked the mechanic of having to use light to "burn" away the darkness of your enemies before you were able to hurt them. It really added a level of panic to my play. lol

F.E.A.R., I haven't played. I've heard good things about the first one, but just heard it went a bit downhill after that.
I don't know.

Hemingway

F.E.A.R. can stand on its own, so it's really not necessary to play the latter two to get any sense of a conclusion. I don't know if it was always intended as a multi-part series, but it probably won't leave you scratching your head, either.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on May 11, 2014, 05:44:26 PM
F.E.A.R. can stand on its own, so it's really not necessary to play the latter two to get any sense of a conclusion. I don't know if it was always intended as a multi-part series, but it probably won't leave you scratching your head, either.
Origins is okay. It can be pretty scary.

Still though they're non-cannon the expansion pack (the first one) for the original FEAR is still pretty scary.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

F.E.A.R. 3 is probably mainly fun for having an MP game mode called, and I quote: "F**KING RUN!"

Inkidu

Try the Dead Space franchise. 3 was perhaps the most action-y among them, but you know what? I was terrified at times. :3
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Dotley

Quote from: persephone325 on May 11, 2014, 05:12:47 PM
Oh yeah! I do have that. I've played it to about 100% completion. lol

Loved the heck out of that game. Neat to find someone else who has played it! If you liked both Rule of Rose and Haunting Ground you might want to check out Clock Tower 3.
O&O's || A&A's

persephone325

Quote from: Dotley on May 11, 2014, 06:38:05 PM
Loved the heck out of that game. Neat to find someone else who has played it! If you liked both Rule of Rose and Haunting Ground you might want to check out Clock Tower 3.

I do have that as well! Though I find it quite difficult. It's hard to stop the little ditz from panicking all the goddamn time. >.< lol
I don't know.

Remiel

It depends.  If you like things-leaping-in-your-face jump-out-your-seat horror, then yeah,  Dead Space is a good franchise.  Personally, I preferred the first game the best (when you didn't know what the fuck was going on) but that's just me.  I also enjoyed Doom 360, although you could bank on things appearing right behind you at the worst possible moments.

If your penchant is subtle, psychological horror (e.g. Alan Wake) then I cannot strongly enough recommend the Silent Hill series.  It's definitely not for the faint of heart.  While the interface can be clunky and frustrating, the writing is second to none.  Silent Hill 2 is generally regarded as the apex of the series, with themes of child abuse, bullying, murder, euthanasia, and survivor's guilt.   Silent Hill 3 is also pretty good, as typefied by the following dialog between the protagonist, Heather, and Vincent, a mysterious man she meets.

Heather: Did you see them?  All the monsters?  Did you kill them too?
Vincent: Monsters?  They looked like monsters to you?
Heather: *sick realization*  Oh my God...

I've not played it, but if you have a Wii, I've heard that Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is pretty good.  And sad. 

I think Amnesia: the Dark Descent was probably the freakiest horror game I've ever played.

Dotley

Going to second Remiel's suggestion of the Silent Hill series. Especially Silent Hill 2 and 3. They are excellent  :-)
O&O's || A&A's

persephone325

I have the HD Collector's Edition of Silent Hill. I've played through 2, and found it quite tense and unnerving at times. Which I really enjoyed. Silent Hill 3 was OK in my opinion, but not my favorite.

I have Shattered Memories on the PS2. I really liked that it was a re-imagining of the first game. And the twist at the end was super cool. I like games where you can change what happens depending on your actions. Like with Shattered Memories, if your focus was on the sexual and provocative pictures of women that were around the town, then your ending would change based on that.

Though that toucan puzzle frustrated me... >.<
I don't know.

Sel Nar

Of the top of my head; If you go for Dead Space 2 and 3, Get the story DLC for both games; they add far more horror to the proceedings, especially in the third game, where the DLC takes place after the end of the regular game, and changes it from 'we won' to 'holy shit everything is fucked'.

I third the suggestion of Silent Hill 2 and 3, but, if you like First-Person Horror, check out System Shock 2. It's pretty much the perfect hybrid of action and horror, and very few games have come close to what System Shock 2 does.

If you want survival with creeping dread, check out STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl or Call of Pripyat; They're less 'horror via story' and more 'Horror via it being pitch black outside your flashlight, you have half a magazine of ammunition, and a bloodsucker is stalking you, waiting to jump you and make you need a change of trousers.' The Underground Laboratories or anomaly-heavy areas are in a class of their own when it comes to vague, opressive, creeping dread.

Sasquatch421

Hmm... If you have something that will play it Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth might be good. It's not without it share of bugs but it stands out by virtue of the tools it uses to truly immerse the player in the game, through effective feedback and manipulation of all 3 gaming senses. (Naturally, these are sight, sound, and thanks to the invention of the vibrating controller, touch. Until someone creates Smellovision technology, that's as far as it goes.) I cannot recall another game that does such a fantastic job of conveying terror, vertigo, hallucinations, a real sense of bodily harm, and insanity.

Throughout the game, your character is exposed to the aforementioned horrors in doses of varying sizes. When faced with such things, Jack may undergo a number of alterations in his perceptions. Auditory, your hearing may become muffled except for the pounding of your own heart, you may hear voices from people in your past, or you might start paranoically whispering to yourself in fear, saying things like “What am I doing here? I'm going to die! What the hell are those things?”  Visually, the screen may grey out, the image can blur whenever you move, and the screen can rock back and forth wildly. Though not strictly a sanity effect, you will also experience vertigo whenever looking down from a high place, and the sensation is likewise genuine. Most often, more than one of these effects will occur at once, leading to a strong sense of disorientation and panic at times. The sanity system will be activated whenever you are exposed to something otherworldly, are being hunted by enemies, are seriously injured, or in other situations. There are also specific ‘sanity hits', where you suddenly spot something terrible like a pile of savaged bodies, causing the shot to zoom in suddenly and making your heart rate and other effects shoot right up. These hits can be avoided by not looking too directly at the objects of terror. So unlike virtually every other video game in existence, it is often NOT to your benefit to examine things of interest that you may catch at the edge of your view. Sanity will recover slowly if you find a safe place to rest and wait, but fail to do this and Jack's terror will eventually take over and he will take his own life! How many other games can you name where suicide is a game mechanic?

Another one I can think of is Koudelka, a RPG set in the 19th Century. It's gothic horror that comes before Shadow Hearts... Actually you meet the main character in Koudelka while you play the first Shadow Hearts.

Drake Valentine

Alien Trilogy, enough said. (Playstation console)

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

GermanCake

I think someone already mentioned Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but I'll mention it again. Loved it playing it for the first time. Now I just enjoy watching other people play it, especially if they scare easily.

AEvum

SCP Containment Breach is unfinished (though development seems to have stopped so it may never be finished) but it's good for a couple playthroughs and perfectly playable in its current state. I found it to be one of the scarier horror games I've played.