Marvel: Exiles - Interest and Co-GM(s) Check

Started by VonDoom, December 02, 2015, 05:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VonDoom

For a very long time I have had the idea of running an Exiles game. The Exiles comics were a fun romp full of possibilities, of drama, of alternate versions of characters and creative settings.

I'll create a fancy recruitment thread, with images and more, once I know that enough people are interested in the premise. For now, this rather barebones post will have to suffice.

What is this about?
The classic Exiles premise. Various Marvel characters from various points of time and various alternate dimensions are stranded in time, their worlds lost because of an irregularity or mistake that shouldn't have occurred. Informed of this by the mysterious Time Broker, they must assist in correcting that mistake -- for it is their very existence that hangs in the balance. Once they have done enough, or so the promise goes, their world will be restored and they can return to the moment that they were taken from.

All future revelations about the truth and lies behind the premise shown within the original series will be ignored for the purposes of this game. It may be exactly as advertised or there might be a twist of its own down the line, but just forget all about Timebreakers and bug-aliens.

I should note, however, that, since I'm running the game, we will be using drawn images for characters. Using real pictures is a personal pet peeve of mine and reminds me too much of the whole 'we're ashamed of our comic origins' thing that DC has going on with their movies.

What am I looking for?

1) Invested players who want to play characters from Marvel canon AUs, or from suitably iconic periods of or singular runs in the 616 past.
Want to play Miguel O'Hara, the S-Man, straight from 2099? You shocking well can!  Age of Apocalypse (clone) Jean Grey? Have at! Vampire-Storm from Mutant X? Be my guest. Agent Venom, Scarlet Spider (Kaine or Ben)? Sure! Meteorite (Moonstone) from the original Thunderbolts run? Please do!

They don't all have to be mutants, either, as you can see from my examples!

Nor do they have to be heroes, thanks to the premise of being drafted at the threat of non-existence! More pragmatic villains (or villainous versions of 616-heroes, for that surprise moment!) who are able to cooperate are more than welcome.

2) Players who write detailed posts -- in third person, past tense -- and use proper grammar. I'm expecting an average minimum post length of around 400 words. Not as an absolute number, but if you continually post less so that it's noticeable or even just a couple of lines, I'll have to intervene.

No one is perfect and people for whom English isn't their first language are of course still welcome to apply, but posts shouldn't be difficult to read.

3) A Co-GM or multiple Co-GMs willing to run mission scenarios. The world these take place in would be their responsibility. I'm not a fan of GMs running player characters or NPCs that practically are PCs while they're also GMing, so when someone else runs a scenario their character would be on break -- and I could play a character of my own. This is, of course, also true in reverse, if someone else wants to GM on more than just one occasion.

What do I do now?
You denote your interest! Despite using canon characters, there will be no character claims. You can mention who you'd like to play already, sure, but this won't be first come first serve.

We'll have an application process in the Recruitment Thread -- I'm thinking a brief description of how your character varies from the most iconic representation that people are familiar with (if they do), a more detailed bit on what you like about the particular version and how you intend to portray them should be sufficient, along with a writing sample.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Kadigan

Interested, and I know not claiming at this point, but very interested in American Dream

VonDoom

Thanks for your interest, Barb! And nice character choice as well -- of course, if the game comes about, the cast itself will also be a factor so we don't end up with, say, the Wolverine Corps. Luckily American Dream doesn't really have any alternate versions distinctly different from her M2 incarnation so that shouldn't be a problem unless the next people showing up want Cap 2099 Roberta Mendez-version, regular Cap, Nomad, US Agent and so on ... which I doubt.   XD
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O