Ever had a Character do this . . .?

Started by Aragem, January 04, 2009, 07:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aragem

Lately, I'm playing a character that is sexually attracted to his partner/teacher.  However the the partner/teacher is a big jerk and my character has a strict moral code.  And it has come to a situation where the characters could have sex.

However, my character doesn't know what to do, thus I'm lost like I have writer's block!  I try to put myself inside my character's head so I could keep them in character and interesting, but when it gets like this, I have a hard time keeping them interesting!

HairyHeretic

I suppose the options would be hold to their code and not do anything, or have sex and then feel guilty about it after. Either option offers a way to progress the story.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Aragem

OldSchoolGamer

Yeah, those are about the only resolutions if the characters remain true to themselves.  Of course, the jerk could have redemption...or the highly moral girl take a slide.  Characters can change for the better...or...

Aragem

What suffers is my writing.   If the character is confused, I mean REALLY confused about something and isn't sure about what he wants, I start to faulter and my creative juices go bad.

OldSchoolGamer

Just remember that confusion and indecision are as valid an emotional/mental state as any other for a character.  Life often comes in shades of gray.  To have a character whose mind is always made up, who always has a clear course of action, sacrifices verisimilitude and detracts from suspense.

Zeitgeist

Verisimilitude. What a great word :)

I agree with the others, people rarely hold to their morals 100% fully, all of the time. It is the ones that look back on it with regret or shame and vow to do better next time, that separate people.

Greenthorn

Making decisions will help the story along.  If your character ignores morals, then that just means a new direction for the story...if the morals remain intact....then another path is taken.

It's all about allowing yourself to erase a set "path" in a story for your character...whichever way the situation goes...the story still remains.

Mnemaxa

Actually, it's usually perfectly acceptable to have the character become confused and start to panic too.  How you feel about their situation is most likely how THEY would feel about it, in some measure at least. 

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Aysleen

I've had this happen, as well as just having a character not respond in the way they might have been intended to do in the beginning.
Try as I might I just can't find the appropriate motivation to get the character moving, and so yes, I develop a sort of writer's block. 

I've also had that happen with partners, though for some reason some people are hesitant to admit this.  I don't know why, because for me the game/writing ceases to be fun, and I really see no point in it.  It's no one's fault.  If could just be a difference in writing styles, or there just might not be any chemistry between writers/characters. 

Not everyone is going to write in a way to please everyone else, but they shouldn't take this news as personal criticism.  It's just one of those things, and I usually try to end the game at that point.
Ons and Offs
* I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.
*We're all mad here.
* If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is,
because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?
*Curiouser and curiouser.