News:

Main Menu

The Big Bang Theory

Started by Beorning, July 14, 2013, 05:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

So... I've been watching The Big Bang Theory for the last year or so (Polish Comedy Central is currently re-running it). Sure, it's funny. Still, I can't help but wonder:

Are they laughing with us, or at us?

"Us", being geeks, I mean. I can't help but notice that the show's portrayal of fantasy / sci-fi / comic / RPG fans borders on offensive. According to this show, no women read comic books or play RPGs. In the last season, there was this awful scene with the main characters' girlfriends going to local comic shop and causing the customers (all guys) to drool... Ugh. Not funny at all...

So, what's your opinion on that show, people?

Nico

I love it. Simple as that. Love it.

Inkidu

The show can really miss sometimes, yeah.

I mean, the "nerdier" girls aren't into anything remotely RPG/Comic book/etc.? I think Penny got hooked on an MMORPG once.

Though, its use of Jewish stereotypes boarders on the racist. :\ Overall, though it's a funny show.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Despise this show. I'm made to watch it when I visit family. They laugh whenever the digital crowd does.

If you're going to make a sitcom about geeks, hire some fucking geeks to write it.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on July 14, 2013, 08:49:09 AM
Despise this show. I'm made to watch it when I visit family. They laugh whenever the digital crowd does.

If you're going to make a sitcom about geeks, hire some fucking geeks to write it.
It does tend to rely on some pretty overused stereotypes in general. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Moraline

Quote from: Beorning on July 14, 2013, 05:32:37 AM
So... I've been watching The Big Bang Theory for the last year or so (Polish Comedy Central is currently re-running it). Sure, it's funny. Still, I can't help but wonder:

"Us", being geeks, I mean. I can't help but notice that the show's portrayal of fantasy / sci-fi / comic / RPG fans borders on offensive. According to this show, no women read comic books or play RPGs. In the last season, there was this awful scene with the main characters' girlfriends going to local comic shop and causing the customers (all guys) to drool... Ugh. Not funny at all...

I really enjoy the show, it totally uses stereotypes but they do it in a fashion that's completely aware of itself and intentionally pokes fun of the stereotypes themselves. It's a comedy of a comedy and it works pretty good.

Speaking as a girl geek.. I get leered at when I walk into comic book stores... I wouldn't really say they are all that far off the mark but either way they do it so it's completely meant to be tongue in cheek.

I mean it's a comedy, they don't really try to tackle serious issues. Deep thought can be checked at the door when you turn on the show.

The writer's of the show admit that they aren't geeks and don't pretend to be. I'm not saying the show is perfect because it's not but I rarely see a show that is. As far as TV goes, most of it is garbage.. this is just better then average garbage so it's an enjoyable 20 min's of my time when I pirate it.

At least they don't take themselves too seriously.

Beorning

Quote from: Inkidu on July 14, 2013, 08:06:52 AM
Though, its use of Jewish stereotypes boarders on the racist. :\

I'm not bothered by it, personally, considering that Chuck Lorre (one of the creators) is a Jew himself. I kind of suspect that Howard is his author avatar in this show :)

BTW. I've watched a few of Lorre-created shows. Is it me, or does the guy seem to have something some mother issues? Crazy mothers are a staple of his shows...

Quote from: Sabby on July 14, 2013, 08:49:09 AM

Yeah, it occassionally shows that they don't know what they are writing about. In the episode when the girlfriends visited the comic shop, they had the shop owner present the types of superheroes... and they put Batman together with the Punisher. Seriously? You have not to know anything about Batman aside from Tim Burton movies to make a blunder like that...

On the other hand, my mathematician friend claim that the portrayal of Sheldon's job (which seems to involve staring at the blackboard for hours) seems to be spot on ;)

RainyHigh

I think it is a mixture of both (the laughing at geeks and with geeks). But I also think it's a great show. And as you can guess by my quote, I am a fan. ^_^

It attracts a multitude of audiences (minus tweens and younger). So I think they are doing a pretty good job.
Rainy's Ons and Offs
Currently not open for solo stories

Chris Brady

Quote from: Beorning on July 14, 2013, 05:32:37 AM

No, it's not funny to me.  And worse, it uses lazy humour.  Like Sheldon (I think it was him) playing D&D, that was laugh tracked.  It wasn't a joke or even a punchline, but the fact that he plays D&D is what they found funny.  That's using nostalgia, not actual humour.  And the show is full of this.

Secondly.  Penny.  She's supposed to be the 'reader identification' character.  Which means that although she's not as smart, nor as successful, as these four, she's still more socially 'accepted', so that makes her 'better' than the guys.  After all, they can barely deal with the opposite sex.  Even worse, unlike most girlfriends of geeks she makes no attempt trying to understand her boyfriend.  Most who do that go find some other guy.  But we can't have that.  Otherwise, who will the lowest common denominator identify with???

And then there's Sheldon.  The guy is like a classic case of Asperger's, and they make fun of him.  Fun of someone whose clearly mentally handicapped.  This is what we should be doing?

There was one episode from the first season that I sat through, the Hallowe'en one, where Penny invites the guys to a party.  And then they show up As Thor and a Hobbit and the like, and your meant to laugh at them, because her friends dressed up in sexed up costumes.

Me?  I was laughing at Penny and her friends.  I mean seriously how hard up must you be to use a festival of DEATH and fear to try and pick up dates or sex?  That's almost pathetic!  But really funny.

To me.  Because people like her and her friends are still mentally in high school, and will likely never leave.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Sabby

I actually have Aspergers. Not nearly as bad as Sheldon, I can pretty much function as well as any one else, but I did have to spend a lot of time in school around people who couldn't function in society.

Sheldon feels like all the negative qualities of those people written into a person barely capable of living with room mates. He makes me uncomfortable, but the fans clearly adore him. No clue why.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on July 15, 2013, 12:08:19 PM
I actually have Aspergers. Not nearly as bad as Sheldon, I can pretty much function as well as any one else, but I did have to spend a lot of time in school around people who couldn't function in society.

Sheldon feels like all the negative qualities of those people written into a person barely capable of living with room mates. He makes me uncomfortable, but the fans clearly adore him. No clue why.
He's kind of sympathetic for all of ten seconds. He runs through any sympathy from me very quickly. Also, I don't think crippling narcissism is one of the classic signs of Asperger's Syndrome.