Who Said Kids Are Dumb?

Started by Lilias, November 07, 2009, 02:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilias

HOW DO YOU DECIDE WHO TO MARRY? (Written by kids)

(1) You got to find somebody who likes the same stuff. Like, if you like sports, she should like it that you like sports, and she should keep the chips and dip coming.
- Alan, age 10

(2) No person really decides before they grow up who they're going to marry. God decides it all way before, and you get to find out later who you're stuck with.
- Kristen, age 10

WHAT IS THE RIGHT AGE TO GET  MARRIED?

(1) Twenty-three is the best age because you know the person FOREVER by then.
- Camille, age 10

(2) No age is good to get married at. You got to be a fool to get married.
- Freddie, age 6 (very wise for his age)

HOW CAN A STRANGER TELL IF TWO PEOPLE ARE MARRIED?

(1) You might have to guess, based on whether they seem to be yelling at the same kids.
- Derrick, age 8

WHAT DO YOU THINK YOUR MUM AND DAD HAVE IN COMMON?

(1) Both don't want any more kids.
- Lori, age 8

WHAT DO MOST PEOPLE DO ON A DATE?

(1) Dates are for having fun, and people should use them to get to know each other. Even boys have something to say if you listen long enough.
- Lynnette, age 8 (isn't she a treasure?)

(2) On the first date, they just tell each other lies and that usually gets them interested enough to go for a second date.
- Martin, age 10 (who says boys do not have brains?)

WHAT WOULD YOU DO ON A FIRST DATE THAT WAS TURNING SOUR?

(1) I'd run home and play dead. The next day I would call all the newspapers and make sure they wrote about me in all the dead columns.
- Craig, age 9

WHEN IS IT OKAY TO KISS SOMEONE?

(1) When they're rich.
- Pam, age 7

(2) The law says you have to be eighteen, so I wouldn't want to mess with that.
- Curt, age 7 (good point)

(3) The rule goes like this: If you kiss someone, then you should marry them and have kids with them. It's the right thing to do.
- Howard, age 8

IS IT BETTER TO BE SINGLE OR MARRIED?

(1) It's better for girls to be single but not for boys. Boys need someone to clean up after them.
- Anita, age 9 (bless you child)

HOW WOULD THE WORLD BE DIFFERENT IF PEOPLE DIDN'T GET MARRIED?

(1) There sure would be a lot of kids to explain, wouldn't there?
- Kelvin, age 8

And the #1 Favourite is........

HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK?

(1) Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a truck.
- Ricky, age 10
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Talia

How funny! Some are quite smart!
He looks at me and my heart starts skipping beats, my face starts to glow and my eyes start to twinkle.
Imagine what he would do to me if he smiled!

Smile... it's the second best thing to do with your lips.

On's & Off's
The Oath of Drake for Group RP's
A&A

Rhapsody

Quote from: Lilias on November 07, 2009, 02:53:10 PM
HOW CAN A STRANGER TELL IF TWO PEOPLE ARE MARRIED?

(1) You might have to guess, based on whether they seem to be yelling at the same kids.
- Derrick, age 8

Best. Answer. EVER.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Yakkul

- Camille, age 10

scarily, I'm about the same number of years past 23 that she is before it... and it really does seem like "forever" ago...  :-\

Have to agree with Rhapsody though, Derrick's answer was the best, and the only one that made me laugh out loud!

Caeli

Quote from: Lilias on November 07, 2009, 02:53:10 PMWHAT DO MOST PEOPLE DO ON A DATE?
(1) Dates are for having fun, and people should use them to get to know each other. Even boys have something to say if you listen long enough.
- Lynnette, age 8 (isn't she a treasure?)

IS IT BETTER TO BE SINGLE OR MARRIED?
(1) It's better for girls to be single but not for boys. Boys need someone to clean up after them.
- Anita, age 9 (bless you child)

These two are hilarious. xD
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Paradox

Was this edited? I sure hope so; otherwise, those kids across the water have incredibly higher English-writing skills than ours in America.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Saerrael

WHEN IS IT OKAY TO KISS SOMEONE?

(1) When they're rich.
- Pam, age 7

Mwuahahahah!

consortium11

Quote from: Paradox on November 23, 2009, 08:07:54 PM
Was this edited? I sure hope so; otherwise, those kids across the water have incredibly higher English-writing skills than ours in America.

A quick google couldn't find an original source for the quotes, but I'd assume from the "chips and dips" line the kids are from the US... it's not a phrase normally used in the UK.

Oniya

It might have been transcribed from audio, in which case the transcriptionist might have taken liberties in the interest of comprehension.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

HOW WOULD THE WORLD BE DIFFERENT IF PEOPLE DIDN'T GET MARRIED?

(1) There sure would be a lot of kids to explain, wouldn't there?
- Kelvin, age 8
Considering that he came up with that answer, I'd love to hear him explain it!

Quote from: Inkidu on November 07, 2009, 04:38:52 PM
Like a truck! XD

Paradox

Hmm. I suppose my point was that I work with kids around this age three days a week, and I've never heard them use language like

- Derrick, age 8

I'm probably just reading too much into it and ignoring the humorous aspect, so I'll shut up and laugh along with the rest of y'all  :P

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Lilias

If we went for the cinéma vérité approach, it would probably look somewhat like this:

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Mathim

It's so sad that most of them sound like they have a horrifically conservative religious upbringing.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Oniya

Howard ('it's the right thing to do') and Kristen ('God decides it') look like they might be in that boat.  The rest seem to be in the stage where either the opposite sex is 'icky' ('Boys need someone to clean up after them.' 'Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a truck.') or the child being asked is self-serving ('WHAT WOULD YOU DO ON A FIRST DATE THAT WAS TURNING SOUR?  (1) I'd run home and play dead.'  'WHEN IS IT OKAY TO KISS SOMEONE? (1) When they're rich.')
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

darkvamplips

I can't believe some kids said that and under 10 years old. They are very smart for the age. The last one look like a truck made me happy.
He once said "If he ever hurt you I will walk again to hurt him." Well he did hurt me and where is my friend? RIP Coby you are still on mind even after 10 years.

My request thread:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=29818

Mnemaxa

My 6 year old nephew corrected his teacher on the correct spelling of "anthropologist".  It wasn't a spelling test, she was discussing anthropology and wrote the word incorrectly on the blackboard.  There really are smart kids in America.  Just have to kind of dig to find them.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Oniya

* Oniya has one.  8-)

In third grade, she's just starting multiplication in class, and she already knows her tables.  A couple take her a few seconds as she runs through them, but I beamed when she said 'Now we're getting into the easy part!'

Sarena

Quote from: Yakkul on November 23, 2009, 05:20:57 PM
- Camille, age 10

scarily, I'm about the same number of years past 23 that she is before it... and it really does seem like "forever" ago...  :-\

Have to agree with Rhapsody though, Derrick's answer was the best, and the only one that made me laugh out loud!

I'm right there with you, Yakkul, just turned ten years past 23 a week ago Saturday...and realize my oldest friend has been my friend for 18 years...and it does seem like forever.

Quote(1) You might have to guess, based on whether they seem  to be yelling at the same kids.
- Derrick, age 8

Best answer, hands down.  And I have a 6 year old and a 9 year old and they do use language like this.  :)
I can go from southern belle to ghetto thug faster than you can say "Bless your heart".

Inkidu

Children are absolutely, incredibly smart. They just don't have the knowledge base us grown-ups do to make those annoying "physically law-Abiding answers". I like their way of thinking better.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

somdgirl

Quote from: Inkidu on February 01, 2010, 09:48:27 PM
Children are absolutely, incredibly smart. They just don't have the knowledge base us grown-ups do to make those annoying "physically law-Abiding answers". I like their way of thinking better.
You said it perfectly.

Vandren

Lilias, sadly, that looks like some in-class assignments I get . . . from students aged 18 to 50-something.  Although the handwriting is much neater than I'm used to seeing.

Quote from: Mnemaxa on January 30, 2010, 03:44:49 AMMy 6 year old nephew corrected his teacher on the correct spelling of "anthropologist".  It wasn't a spelling test, she was discussing anthropology and wrote the word incorrectly on the blackboard.  There really are smart kids in America.  Just have to kind of dig to find them.

It doesn't help that Education majors have the lowest average GPA and GRE scores of any field of study (no offense to K-12 teachers, many are friends and family of mine and are vastly overworked and underpaid).*

* = Source: the GRE results averages in every testing area breakdown by major (sent out with each participant's results)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Paladin

Heres how it goes folks. Children are incredibly smart. Unfortunatly they are also smart enough to dumb it down when your looking so that you don't realize JUST how smart they really are. I'm a great example of that. As a 5 year old I had a 12th grade reading level. I was reading Anne Mccafrey books when most kids were still reading Hop on Pop. Course I will admit I have a dumb area of my brain and thats the math region. I still struggle with it today. Have struggled with it my entire life. So the mext time your kid smiles and you see that twinkle in their eye... they may just actually be plotting to rule the world.