News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on August 07, 2015, 04:26:26 AM
There's still Morlun for a big baddie. That crazy man actually KILLED Spider-Man once.

Morbius would be a great way to tie in Blade, what with vampires and all.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 07, 2015, 11:34:06 AM
Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy recently expressed interest in returning to do more X-Men movies.

I am perfectly fine with that! With Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellan most likely departing after Apocalypse it would be awesome to have them take up the mantles fully.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

TheGlyphstone

In  other news, the Fantastic Four movie has opened to scathing reviews, currently at 9% on Rotten Tomatoes.

QuoteFantastic Four seems honestly mortified to exist.
http://io9.com/fantastic-four-is-the-most-self-loathing-superhero-movi-1722651722

"Fantastic Four"? Hardly. More like "Pathetic Four."
http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/07/entertainment/fantastic-four-reviews-verdict-feat/

But the movie as a whole is a mess, with the halfway decent first 45 minutes or so giving way to a stupefyingly generic and wrongheaded superhero origin story that squeezes itself into what amounts to yet another example of a franchise that makes the Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins mistake.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/08/06/review-fantastic-four-is-a-tragic-chore-2/

CaptainNexus616

Just checked out the Wikipedia plot summary...yeah it was definitely a rushed project story wise I can see why its not doing to hot. They already announced a sequel though so that's somewhat concerning. Though it may be cancelled if this flops worse than expected.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on August 07, 2015, 08:29:09 PM
Just checked out the Wikipedia plot summary...yeah it was definitely a rushed project story wise I can see why its not doing to hot. They already announced a sequel though so that's somewhat concerning. Though it may be cancelled if this flops worse than expected.

Well let's see, usually the budget is around 100-150 million, maybe a little less in this case (though Fox doesn't have a good reputation for having a lot of sense when it comes to these things; their own top programs like Family Guy and the Simpsons constantly rag on them, and they let them get away with it) so if they actually LOSE money on this venture and make only around what it cost to make and promote (I'd personally love to see this cost them so much they get desperate on the level of Sony), the sequel could go the way of the planned Green Lantern trilogy, and finally be the catalyst for them to play ball and fucking give back the rights to Marvel already. Haven't they figured out they can just spin off X-Men characters left and right, and use those instead of raping the name of the Fantastic Four yet again? They're already making fans cream their pants with the Deadpool spinoff, how can they think it wouldn't work to put their one successful property to better use and forget the other one? Ah, to dream...
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Apparently, even the director has come out in an interview and slammed his own movie, The Fantastic Four.

An article reports the rumor of who is on which side for the next Captain America movie. Apparently, Scarlet Witch is on Tony's side, as is Spider-Man. Winter Soldier is on Cap's and Black Panther is neutral.

Gambit is look at three possible leading ladies to play Belladonna Bourdreaux:

• Rebecca Ferguson from Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
  • Lea Seydoux from Specter
(The new Bond film)
  • Abbey Lee from Mad Max: Fury Road

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 08, 2015, 02:14:25 PM
Apparently, even the director has come out in an interview and slammed his own movie, The Fantastic Four.

An article reports the rumor of who is on which side for the next Captain America movie. Apparently, Scarlet Witch is on Tony's side, as is Spider-Man. Winter Soldier is on Cap's and Black Panther is neutral.

Gambit is look at three possible leading ladies to play Belladonna Bourdreaux:

• Rebecca Ferguson from Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
  • Lea Seydoux from Specter
(The new Bond film)
  • Abbey Lee from Mad Max: Fury Road

I wasn't sure if it was just a rumor but apparently he had some unfriendly things to say about it, not in an interview, even before it was too far into production. I really have to make an effort to avoid seeing it in the future, then, so I can still say I liked what he did with Chronicle.

And Scarlet Witch is going to be on Iron Man's team? Man, that's a stretch. One would think her vendetta against him she shared with her brother would make her reluctant to continue associating with the Avengers, but to then side with him of all people once the group fractures? I'd like to see her rationale on that.

SapphireStar

Meant to type Black Widow, got distracted lol Scarlet Witch is on Cap's side.

CaptainNexus616

Was about to say the same thing about Scarlet Witch lol. While I am still a little iffy with Black Widow it is a bit more believable in my book and it is canon for the actual comic storyline.

So with Jessica Drew scheduled to come out in a few more months anyone want to take bets how dark it will be? I'm betting it won't be as dark per say compared to Daredevil but based on the character and the fact Purple Man is the big baddie I say it won't be as light hearted as the movies can be.

SapphireStar

Black Widow could wind up being a wild card. A spy for Cap. In the comics, one of the characters supposedly loyal to Tony was actually a spy for Cap. I believe it was Tigra who was the spy in the comics.

Apparently, Fox is going to try again to produce an X-Men themed tv series. They tried once before with Generation Next, based off the comics of the team that was led by Emma Frost and Banshee. Had Jubliee, Sync, Skin, Monet St. Croix, Paige Guthrie and Penance as part of the team in the comic. Show was short lived.

CaptainNexus616

I vaguely remember the one from the 90's and a little bit of Evolution that introduced X-23.

Anyone remember the Justice League cartoon? That show was the stuff ten years ago.

SapphireStar

It was a live action tv movie. Finola Hughes played Emma Frost. Matt Frewer was the villain. Fox seems to be trying again for a live action show since Gotham is going into its second season.

Justice League was awesome. One of the few decent cartoon series on, especially cartoon network. That and the He-Man series, which lives on in a comic book series through DC. The interaction between Vixen and Hawkgirl over John Stewart. Talking about his sock drawer, and Hawkgirl slyly says she's seen it. I wish they would bring the show back. The animated movies are just as good.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 08, 2015, 03:15:45 PM
Meant to type Black Widow, got distracted lol Scarlet Witch is on Cap's side.

Okay, that makes far more sense. But just from what I know of the MCU, it doesn't seem like too many people would want to be on Tony's side. He'd have to bring in entirely new people we haven't met yet for it to be a real 'war' or it would just be him and the Iron Legion against Cap's team.

CaptainNexus616

The DC Animated Universe was pure awesomeness incarnated. I'll never forget the scene with Batman dropping the Watchtower on the bad guy's plans.

With them working on bringing the Justice League together for the big screen its more reason to reboot the animated one too.

Quote from: Mathim on August 08, 2015, 08:25:15 PM
Okay, that makes far more sense. But just from what I know of the MCU, it doesn't seem like too many people would want to be on Tony's side. He'd have to bring in entirely new people we haven't met yet for it to be a real 'war' or it would just be him and the Iron Legion against Cap's team.

That may be the most likely scenario since there really isn't that much reason for a lot of characters to buddy up with him. Provided Tony doesn't blow all his suits up again lol

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on August 08, 2015, 08:28:08 PM
The DC Animated Universe was pure awesomeness incarnated. I'll never forget the scene with Batman dropping the Watchtower on the bad guy's plans.

With them working on bringing the Justice League together for the big screen its more reason to reboot the animated one too.

That may be the most likely scenario since there really isn't that much reason for a lot of characters to buddy up with him. Provided Tony doesn't blow all his suits up again lol

What they should do is just get those guys who worked on the DC Animated Universe to help work on the DCCU and try to make it as good as their animation lineup.

Well I mean we've already seen just about everybody on the superhero list except Black Panther who's going to make his debut but is going to be 'neutral', whatever that means in this situation. Spider-Man, an idealist, and young, might be the only one to decide Iron Man has the right idea about regulation. But I think even he switches sides during the comic storyline. I'm starting to worry about the idea of the 'war' part of Civil War. Plus if most everyone is on Cap's side, except maybe War Machine (who is basically just another Iron Man when you think about it) and Spidey, can it really focus on Cap, the title character? I mean, I know he's not the most stellar Avenger so he needs other super folks or extraordinary individuals to make things interesting (Howling Commandos in the first film, Black Widow and Falcon in the second) but I think this is going overboard. Many have said this should just be another Avengers film and I'm pretty tempted to agree. But then I'd prefer more buildup to it and better pacing so we'll just have to hope they avoid the mistake of over-bloating the movie like with Age of Ultron.

SapphireStar

They've revealed a few more characters who will be appearing on Supergirl. Red Tornado, Sam Lane, and Non (character from Superman 2). Non is played by Owain Yeoman. The producers said that Kryptonite is not the only thing which can harm/bring down Supergirl. And, no crossover with Flash/Arrow anytime soon.

Thea will be getting a new love interest in Season 4. New characters appearing, Baron Blitzkrieg, Anarchy. H.I.V.E. will make their debut in Season 4 with Neal McDonaugh (Dum Dum Dugan from Captain America) will play the leader Damian Darkh.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 10, 2015, 07:13:55 PM
They've revealed a few more characters who will be appearing on Supergirl. Red Tornado, Sam Lane, and Non (character from Superman 2). Non is played by Owain Yeoman. The producers said that Kryptonite is not the only thing which can harm/bring down Supergirl. And, no crossover with Flash/Arrow anytime soon.

Thea will be getting a new love interest in Season 4. New characters appearing, Baron Blitzkrieg, Anarchy. H.I.V.E. will make their debut in Season 4 with Neal McDonaugh (Dum Dum Dugan from Captain America) will play the leader Damian Darkh.

Dum Dum Dugan is going over to the other side? For shame! LOL.

I like Red Tornado, would love to see him outside of cartoons for a change.

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 10, 2015, 07:13:55 PM
Non is played by Owain Yeoman. The producers said that Kryptonite is not the only thing which can harm/bring down Supergirl. And, no crossover with Flash/Arrow anytime soon.
Wouldn't be so sure about Owain Yeoman's casting as he's in the pilot episode as Vartox.
I don't think an Arrow crossover is ever likely to happen as Supergirl is set in it's own universe, I suppose Flash or Legends of Tomorrow could do a little dimension hopping but it doesn't seem likely.

Quote from: Mathim on August 10, 2015, 07:48:19 PM
I like Red Tornado, would love to see him outside of cartoons for a change.
Why assume Red Tornado is going to be male? As the first and current incarnations of Red look like this

If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on August 11, 2015, 02:05:21 AM
Why assume Red Tornado is going to be male? As the first and current incarnations of Red look like this

The only versions of Red Tornado I know about are the ones from the short-lived Young Justice comics that quickly became the new Teen Titans, the Batman: The Brave and the Bold cartoon, and the Young Justice cartoon, and they're all male, including the 'son' Red Tornado created and ultimately had to destroy in that one episode. I never looked him up on wikipedia to see about that kind of thing, but I know Ultron also has had similar female versions according to wiki, which surprised me (had Red Tornado gotten a movie, I would have definitely given that wiki page a look too). Plus I think there was an entire family of Red Tornado duplicates in one of the Young Justice episodes, and although I can't remember that far back, one of them might have been modeled after a female.

mia h

Quote from: Mathim on August 11, 2015, 08:33:18 AM
Plus I think there was an entire family of Red Tornado duplicates in one of the Young Justice episodes, and although I can't remember that far back, one of them might have been modeled after a female.
There was a whole Red {insert name} family that T.O. Morrow created, Tornado/Inferno/Torpedo/Volcano. I'll leave you to guess what their powers were  :P

SapphireStar

Ultron created a female version of himself called Jocasta. Though, if I remembered correctly she rebelled against him often siding with the Avengers, though with her own agenda.

Wasn't Red Tornado in the Justic League cartoon an android or sorts? And, in the Justice League/Unlimited cartoon the character was male.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 11, 2015, 01:58:52 PM
Ultron created a female version of himself called Jocasta. Though, if I remembered correctly she rebelled against him often siding with the Avengers, though with her own agenda.

Wasn't Red Tornado in the Justic League cartoon an android or sorts? And, in the Justice League/Unlimited cartoon the character was male.

Red was only in the Unlimited series and even then he rarely appeared so I think it's pretty vague on his origins *now goes off to watch Justice League Unlimited on Netflix*

Speaking of androids there was A.M.A.Z.O. that Android was so OP copying everyone's powers. It could replicate Green Lantern energy just from a quick scan along with Kryptonian physiology. Now he would be a good villian for the Justice League movie since he was built by one of Lex Luthor's scientists. A.M.A.Z.O. could copy all their powers forcing the heroes to team up to stand a chance.

mia h

Looks like John Constantine is making an appearence in next seasons Arrow, which could be interesting.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on August 11, 2015, 02:33:06 PM

Red was only in the Unlimited series and even then he rarely appeared so I think it's pretty vague on his origins *now goes off to watch Justice League Unlimited on Netflix*

Speaking of androids there was A.M.A.Z.O. that Android was so OP copying everyone's powers. It could replicate Green Lantern energy just from a quick scan along with Kryptonian physiology. Now he would be a good villian for the Justice League movie since he was built by one of Lex Luthor's scientists. A.M.A.Z.O. could copy all their powers forcing the heroes to team up to stand a chance.

But Amazo was also TOO powerful and couldn't be defeated. Not a great type of villain for a big blockbuster movie, it shaming all the heroes for being too weak and just being uninterested in continuing when there's no challenge anymore and moving on would leave audiences feeling cheated. Unless they somehow defeated it in its weakened condition like in that one episode of Young Justice, which I forgot how they pulled that off.

Darkseid really would be the best villain, as he has many powerful subordinates to send out before his own appearance. I imagine this will be how Infinity War plays out for the Avengers with Thanos.

Also, I saw on IMDB that in the Supergirl show, Kara is taken in by the Danvers family, and I thought how hilarious that was since a character in Marvel with similar god-like powers is Captain Marvel, AKA Carol Danvers. Funny coincidence or heavy-handed reference to a rival character from another universe? Or is that always how it was with Supergirl's origin in the comics? The only origins I know of are from the DC animated universe and Smallville.

mia h

"Linda Lee Danvers" was Supergirl's secret identity in the early 60's . Carol Danvers wasn't created until the late 60's and even then didn't get powered up until the late 70's.
So who was referencing who?  :P