The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SithLordOfSnark

Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

Mathim

I was going to buy a Black Panther armor themed t-shirt at the Halloween store but they didn't have the right size. I did get one of Thor's armor, though. It's really hot, though, the pattern on the front traps in heat like crazy.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

greenknight

Quote from: Mathim on October 16, 2017, 07:56:43 PM
I was expecting a bit more (lots of overlap with the previous one) but still excited.
I get the feeling it may be a prequel/origin story showing how the jungle chose him, etc. That said, I didn't see his father. If he has to discover himself after the events of Civil War  :-\
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Mathim

Quote from: greenknight on October 17, 2017, 09:01:30 AM
I get the feeling it may be a prequel/origin story showing how the jungle chose him, etc. That said, I didn't see his father. If he has to discover himself after the events of Civil War  :-\

I wouldn't mind some flashbacking (maybe the reason we didn't see T'Chaka is because we might have only glimpsed the younger him since the contemporary him is deceased?) mixed in with post-Civil War internal conflicts. His is definitely a history that merits being fleshed out.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Darkcide

Quote from: Mathim on October 17, 2017, 09:04:47 PM
I wouldn't mind some flashbacking (maybe the reason we didn't see T'Chaka is because we might have only glimpsed the younger him since the contemporary him is deceased?) mixed in with post-Civil War internal conflicts. His is definitely a history that merits being fleshed out.

Bingo. It is going to take place primarily after Civil War from what I am gathering. But I'd expect there to be flashbacks. One thing I like that it seems they're doing, is they are driving home the idea that Wakanda is as much an essential character as T'Challa is.

Mathim

Quote from: Darkcide on October 17, 2017, 09:33:25 PM
Bingo. It is going to take place primarily after Civil War from what I am gathering. But I'd expect there to be flashbacks. One thing I like that it seems they're doing, is they are driving home the idea that Wakanda is as much an essential character as T'Challa is.

Exactly. I don't see how else Earth is going to really compete in the Cosmic Universe without the level of tech Wakanda is packing.

Darkcide

Quote from: Mathim on October 17, 2017, 10:53:56 PM
Exactly. I don't see how else Earth is going to really compete in the Cosmic Universe without the level of tech Wakanda is packing.

Well they've fucked up really badly with the Inhumans, and Infinity War is gonna be over by the time they introduce Atlantis, short of if Namor appears in one of the two movies.

Mathim

Quote from: Darkcide on October 18, 2017, 07:24:19 AM
Well they've fucked up really badly with the Inhumans, and Infinity War is gonna be over by the time they introduce Atlantis, short of if Namor appears in one of the two movies.

Well there's an advantage to them keeping the TV and movie universes separate even if they're technically in the same continuity. And since Universal still somehow owns Namor's distribution rights which seems to have no expiration date unlike every other property, it's unlikely we'll see Namor at all, but most certainly not in his own film.

wander

Quote from: Mathim on October 18, 2017, 08:41:19 AM
Well there's an advantage to them keeping the TV and movie universes separate even if they're technically in the same continuity. And since Universal still somehow owns Namor's distribution rights which seems to have no expiration date unlike every other property, it's unlikely we'll see Namor at all, but most certainly not in his own film.

Incorrect in so far as that Namor should be allowed to make appearances in MCU films though he can't currently have solo ones or have his name in the title without Universal's say so. He has the same deal as The Hulk.

Mathim

Quote from: wander on October 18, 2017, 11:44:14 AM
Incorrect in so far as that Namor should be allowed to make appearances in MCU films though he can't currently have solo ones or have his name in the title without Universal's say so. He has the same deal as The Hulk.

True but if he doesn't get an origin or solo film, it's unlikely a character with such a rich backstory will make any appearances until such contracts revert completely to Marvel (if they ever can/will). Hulk already got his solo film (and they already seem to regret it) in the MCU and he, unlike most of the other heroes, works best as part of a team and not a solo act. Namor's not that kind of character so to waste him in bit parts wouldn't do the character justice; even if he did appear, I wouldn't want it if they didn't go whole hog.

CaptainNexus616

https://youtu.be/OMW_dPtm7Bo

New Punisher trailer with an official release date.  Not as epic as the previous one, but it provides some further context to what Frank is trying to do. I'm willing to give this a shot, but its the last chance for me with Marvel's Netflix products.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SithLordOfSnark

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on October 19, 2017, 07:58:04 PM

New Punisher trailer with an official release date.  Not as epic as the previous one, but it provides some further context to what Frank is trying to do. I'm willing to give this a shot, but its the last chance for me with Marvel's Netflix products.

I am seriously excited for this.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on October 19, 2017, 07:58:04 PM

I already cancelled my Netflix. Two in a row that let me down was one too many. Not to mention I didn't care for Jessica Jones either, so of the four heroes and their team-up series, only Daredevil and Luke Cage were something I looked at fondly.

mia h

Well Ragnarok is fun, although at times they were leaning a little too hard on the comedy, it felt less like they were being funny and more that they were asking for the laugh.
Couple of interesting things where they put a lampshade on MCU continuity glitches, and there's part that was in one of the trailers that's actually a little bit different in movie which was smart because it would have been a spoiler.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

mia h

Gotham is now moving onto it's third Poison Ivy as Peyton List is taking over the role.
And Supergirl has released images of Odette Annable in her Reign costume

wander

That costume... When I read Gotham and Poison Ivy, I honestly thought belonged to her, given how far from canon Gotham has gone.

It's a decent looking suit btw. ^^

SithLordOfSnark

Quote from: mia h on October 30, 2017, 03:57:45 PM
Gotham is now moving onto it's third Poison Ivy as Peyton List is taking over the role.
And Supergirl has released images of Odette Annable in her Reign costume

Peyton List as Poison Ivy? I really can't see it.

wander

I can. She's 19 now and not so much the child star she got to be famous for being anymore.

mia h

Quote from: wander on October 31, 2017, 03:53:00 AM
I can. She's 19 now and not so much the child star she got to be famous for being anymore.
No it's Peyton List

and not Peyton List.

SithLordOfSnark

wander

mia h

New Warriors is having difficulties, Freeform have decided not to air it so it's now a show in search of a network. Same thing happened with Titans and that's ended up on DC's streaming platform.

wander

I've not liked the look of Runaways after their trailers, it looks to have the same feel as Cloak and Dagger by the trailers of both.

Mathim

Quote from: wander on November 01, 2017, 11:40:08 AM
I've not liked the look of Runaways after their trailers, it looks to have the same feel as Cloak and Dagger by the trailers of both.

Agreed.

Mathim

Okay, just saw Thor Ragnarok, and I have to say, I can definitely see what people are getting at when they say it's a contender for best Marvel movie. It is, easily, by leaps and bounds, the best film featuring Thor, and I cannot stress enough how vital I think that the director Taika Waititi was to making it as such. His style of humor, which I got exposed to in he and Jemaine Clement's What We Do In The Shadows was a great help (there was even a throwaway reference to 'three vampires' in the film that was an obvious allusion to that film that I never would have gotten had I not watched it). The action was, simply put, Avengers-film level (but in places, BETTER) and while Guardians comes close, I'd have to say Ragnarok is the funniest Marvel movie. Waititi's chief strength, IMO, is small talk/dialogue when it comes to humor, and there were so many of those I thought I was going to have an asthma attack from laughing so much.

I won free tickets to an Imax showing (couldn't use them the same day I got them, so I'll have to see it again-GLADLY!) but saw it in 3D. Some sequences made me a little dizzy, moving a bit too fast or throwing a bit too much at the screen at one time but didn't take long to adjust. It deserves all the praise it's gotten and more, and I hope it earns Guardians 2-level box office money or, more pipe-dreamily, Civil War money.