You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

November 20, 2017, 09:07:10 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Hey there, system gamers! What tabletop rpgs do you own?  (Read 6701 times)

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Hey there, system gamers! What tabletop rpgs do you own?
« Reply #250 on: November 08, 2017, 05:21:05 PM »
Ah, cool, I can do that instead then.

Online Avalon29

« Reply #251 on: November 10, 2017, 12:40:28 AM »
Got a pleasant surprise just a bit ago. Got a preview of Mysteries of the Yokai which I preordered last year, didn't expect the preview as I wasn't a part of the initial kickstarter campaign. They've had a lot of delays after losing the person handling the layout and having the project lead having to do that part as well and learning how to do all the graphically intense stuff took a while but I now have the first four chapters of the book sent as a preview.

It reminded me just how much I adore the combat system in the game. It's still got some crunch to it with things like debuffs, buffs, special attacks , magic, and the like but it also abstracts things like distance and range enough  to give it importance without having to keep track of the exact distance from some in meters  which also makes it work well on forums. It gives options for social focused characters options in combat and allow them to get creative with how they handle things.  The combat is based on morale rather than health so defeat in combat can easily mean the bandits broke past the walls and you have to retreat into town to try to minimize the damage rather than character death. It's also easily adaptable to social situations to symbolize things like political debates so even in games built on intrigue and social maneuvering can have a nice change of pace. It just hits lots of the right buttons for me.

Offline Beorning

« Reply #252 on: November 15, 2017, 11:31:22 AM »
My newest purchase is the new Conan RPG by Modiphius. I'm currently reading it and it looks good! Anyone want to play?

Offline wander

« Reply #253 on: November 15, 2017, 11:55:34 AM »
There's a Conan character generator free online by Modiphius. I don't have the rules, though if someone doesn't mind Gming and teaching newbs the rules if they have a character, I'm more than happy to generate one and be up for a game as a player.

Online Avalon29

« Reply #254 on: November 15, 2017, 04:33:47 PM »
I'm happy to say I've got my release copy of Heroines of the First Age and that it's officially gone on sale on Drivethrurpg. I'm very satisfied with it. ^^

Online BlytheTopic starter

« Reply #255 on: November 18, 2017, 09:48:45 PM »
I bought the 20th anniversary edition of Changeling: the Dreaming--pdf format, but that's because pdfs are a godsend to me. It's a beautiful book, really, and it looks exceedingly fun.

Offline DarkPrince

« Reply #256 on: November 18, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »
I bought the 20th anniversary edition of Changeling: the Dreaming--pdf format, but that's because pdfs are a godsend to me. It's a beautiful book, really, and it looks exceedingly fun.

CTD 20th Anniversary edition is brilliantly done. I am so very happy with the work they did on it. I cannot wait for Wraith 20th Anniversary Edition.

« Reply #257 on: November 18, 2017, 09:51:51 PM »
CTD 20th Anniversary edition is brilliantly done. I am so very happy with the work they did on it. I cannot wait for Wraith 20th Anniversary Edition.

I'm really excited about Wraith's 20th anniversary edition; if it's anywhere as well done as CTD 20th, I know I'll be incredibly happy with it.

Offline RedPhoenix

« Reply #258 on: November 18, 2017, 09:54:00 PM »
Mummy 20th edition when? :(

Offline DarkPrince

« Reply #259 on: November 18, 2017, 10:26:52 PM »
Mummy 20th edition when? :(

They are hitting everything else. So they should this one. Probably after Demon and Hunter I would think. They might actually make Hunter playable but I don't care. Fuck that game. Demon and Mummy would be awesome though.

Offline Cold Heritage

« Reply #260 on: November 18, 2017, 10:47:26 PM »
Personally I loved Hunter: the Reckoning even if I mostly turned off my brain, looked at the cover with flames and spent shotgun shells, and dreamed about going full Wayward all day every day.

Offline DarkPrince

« Reply #261 on: Yesterday at 04:37:28 AM »
Personally I loved Hunter: the Reckoning even if I mostly turned off my brain, looked at the cover with flames and spent shotgun shells, and dreamed about going full Wayward all day every day.

I hate Hunter the Reckoning. It is a game about monster hunters that completely misses the point of monster hunters full of powers that ranged from broken to unbelievably pointless without somehow being able to make even a group of hunters able to stand up to anything more threatening than a ghouled chihuaha -  and the big reveal of the source of their powers somehow made it worse. It's one of exactly two rpgs I have ever given away. I kept Rifts books over that orange stained excrement of a game. Hunter the Vigil is what Hunter the Reckoning should have been.

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #262 on: Yesterday at 05:09:24 AM »
Never read hunters... where did they get their powers from?

And did they even bother with the "those who hunts monsters"? Or did they over do it like all their other crap?

Offline wander

« Reply #263 on: Yesterday at 07:29:52 AM »
In owod, Hunters got their powers from the Messengers, revealed to be the last two Angels left on Earth; Ebon Dragon and Scarlet Queen, who the Kuei-Jin know as the two Ministers of Creation.

Offline TheLaughingOne

« Reply #264 on: Yesterday at 07:50:24 AM »
... and... im guessing them being the same beings from exalted..?

Offline wander

« Reply #265 on: Yesterday at 09:15:55 AM »
There was formally the connection to Exalted back when it first came out, though then things slowly drifted apart to not make Exalted the distant past of the owod. They probably at first were meant to the be the same, though now at present it's more of a wink and a nod to the fans.

« Reply #266 on: Yesterday at 11:45:54 AM »
Hunter the Vigil isn't my cup of tea, personally. It's just...kind of a boring & lackluster game line (just speaking for myself there, not for others, of course. I respect everyone's preferences ^^). I will say that I feel that the gem of that particular line was 'Block by Bloody Block,' which had some excellent direction for city creation that I think could benefit GMs/STs in general, and the Slasher book, which I felt more strongly connected the game line to it's gothic horror roots and tapped the serial killer movie genre in a pretty nifty way.

Got the game ZWEIHANDER for free when the creator gave away pdfs around Halloween. It's a bit different than my usual interests. It's a Warhammer heartbreaker, but I never played Warhammer before, so I have no idea if the book does it any justice. Not sure if I'll ever play this one. I'm sure the creators put in a ton of work, but....yikes. Mostly I'm surprised at how hefty it is at a whopping 692 pages. The only book I have that is larger than that, I believe, is my Mage 20th book.  >_>;
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:15:52 PM by Blythe »

Offline DarkPrince

« Reply #267 on: Yesterday at 02:08:00 PM »
Never read hunters... where did they get their powers from?

And did they even bother with the "those who hunts monsters"? Or did they over do it like all their other crap?

It wasn't just angels - everybody assumed that from the beginning anyway - it was the fact that Hunter's had no souls or free will. That was how they got their powers. The angels took that away from them and used them as meat puppets. It's mind numbingly stupid.

Offline Cold Heritage

« Reply #268 on: Yesterday at 03:09:33 PM »
I do not recall that being the case, since there were people who were aware of monsters in the way that empowered hunters were but did not get powers because they chose not to do anything with the revelation. There were also hunters who chose to break away from the messengers and make deals with the Fallen or just go their own way, and that hunter.net could approach full 4chan levels of trolling and that hunters were prone to murdering each other.

Offline DarkPrince

« Reply #269 on: Yesterday at 04:53:28 PM »
I do not recall that being the case, since there were people who were aware of monsters in the way that empowered hunters were but did not get powers because they chose not to do anything with the revelation. There were also hunters who chose to break away from the messengers and make deals with the Fallen or just go their own way, and that hunter.net could approach full 4chan levels of trolling and that hunters were prone to murdering each other.

It was the case. They revealed it in the Demon the Fallen Time of Judgment story. They were soul-less murder machines for the angels. It was the dumbest revelation of a game line full of dumb revelations.

Offline Cold Heritage

« Reply #270 on: Yesterday at 04:59:03 PM »
That is very disappointing, but not particularly surprising.