Pokemon Gijinka Sandbox Game [Interest Check]

Started by PentheWonderful, June 20, 2021, 02:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttlephobia

What are your rules for character's special abilities and such going to be?

indarkestknight

Choices choices...

I do love the idea of playing a Mistype...

Mimikyu is my favorite Pokemon, but how to play one in this setting...

Or Zoroark, maybe, as a Mistype who can "pass" as other Pokemon? If I can find FC I like...

Or maybe an Alolan Marowak...

And then there are non-Mistype options...

Charmander/meleon/zard? Red Gyrados?

Though currently the frontrunner is... Sirfetch'd.

;) @ Tanner

Is this me throwing out ideas and seeing which ones people are most interested in? Yes, yes it is.

If only I could find some Detective Pikachu Gijinka or Falinks gijinka, too...

My kingdom though for someone using Nyantcha/Thiccwithaq's Almonde or Halcyon as their FCs...

Chaosfox

ok I have narrowed down my options to these . That being said  I think the image for the second one might be a bit young looking. But if I am being honest I am thinking of either going the Haterena which is the first one, Bronzong which is five  one of the meowstics which are 7&8,  or one of the last four which are Mawhile, Primarina, Grumpig , or  Shiinotic.  Well also considering the Gardevior sibling may roll a 10 sided dice
There is no Order only Chaos and all the joys that it brings. 
This way too On's and Off's

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: indarkestknight on June 20, 2021, 06:37:07 PM
Choices choices...

I do love the idea of playing a Mistype...

Mimikyu is my favorite Pokemon, but how to play one in this setting...

Or Zoroark, maybe, as a Mistype who can "pass" as other Pokemon? If I can find FC I like...

Or maybe an Alolan Marowak...

And then there are non-Mistype options...

Charmander/meleon/zard? Red Gyrados?

Though currently the frontrunner is... Sirfetch'd.

;) @ Tanner

Is this me throwing out ideas and seeing which ones people are most interested in? Yes, yes it is.

If only I could find some Detective Pikachu Gijinka or Falinks gijinka, too...

My kingdom though for someone using Nyantcha/Thiccwithaq's Almonde or Halcyon as their FCs...

Well, I won't be playing Arty in this game, but I will be playing Dimitrius :P But I do like Sirfetch'd. He's a beast. xD

Quote from: Chaosfox on June 20, 2021, 06:54:54 PM
ok I have narrowed down my options to these . That being said  I think the image for the second one might be a bit young looking. But if I am being honest I am thinking of either going the Haterena which is the first one, Bronzong which is five  one of the meowstics which are 7&8,  or one of the last four which are Mawhile, Primarina, Grumpig , or  Shiinotic.  Well also considering the Gardevior sibling may roll a 10 sided dice

Yeah, the second one looks WAY too young for E. If I had to eyeball it, I'd say she was 14, which is a definite no xD That Primarina is also borderline, and the one after her looks too young as well, I'm afraid.
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Marie Reynolds

What do you all think about this for my Galvuntula Gajinka Girl picture?
Character pic

Chaosfox

Well I will knock those two off. Though I will make the argument that  for the grumpig one its the art style itself that makes her look under age. Do the same character in a less cartoonish  look I bet she wouldn't look as young.  But after looking them over I have narrowed it down to the Shiinotic and Bronzong  and the Gardevoir. I may pick two of the three we will see.

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on June 20, 2021, 09:26:02 PM
Character pic

For meeeee, that would be ok, but I'd need to check with Pen!

Quote from: Chaosfox on June 20, 2021, 09:27:37 PM
Well I will knock those two off. Though I will make the argument that  for the grumpig one its the art style itself that makes her look under age. Do the same character in a less cartoonish  look I bet she wouldn't look as young.  But after looking them over I have narrowed it down to the Shiinotic and Bronzong  and the Gardevoir. I may pick two of the three we will see.

Well, you could make the argument, but it wouldn't matter since it's not me that makes those standards xD If the art style makes her look underage, then the staff WILL have a problem with it because she looks underage. Believe me, I've had that conversation before, and they won't change their minds. So if there's even a little bit of doubt, it's probably better to err on the side of caution or risk the wrath of Staff. xD

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Vergil Tanner

We do need an even smattering of Mistypes and "everybody else," BTW! I'll be playing the "leader" of the Mistypes, and I'm expecting - being E - for this game to get horny at times, so. Once the recruitment thread goes up, my characters WILL be open for connections of all kinds! Kinda my job as co-GM, eh? :P

PentheWonderful

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on June 20, 2021, 09:26:02 PM
Character pic

I'm happy with that :)
"The secret behind every genius is a heart full of sadness, a mind laced with madness, and just a little bit of magic."

PentheWonderful

Quote from: Cuttlephobia on June 20, 2021, 06:32:31 PM
What are your rules for character's special abilities and such going to be?

Basically, civilian characters (commonfolk like villagers and palace servants) are allowed 2 abilities relating to their species lore. Ex. The Galvantula Girl can scale walls like Spiderman and shoot electric webs like Miles Morales.

Noble characters like knights and minor nobility (dukes/duchesses) get up to 3 abilities, as they have better education and more training than civilian characters.

Royalty (or characters with royal bloodlines) get 4 abilities for obvious reasons, and The Chosen Ruler gets an extra ability known as The Royal Gift from Xerneas' Mark.

Xerneas is the God of the realm.
"The secret behind every genius is a heart full of sadness, a mind laced with madness, and just a little bit of magic."

QueenHaze

I'm interested! Thinking maybe playing a Houndoom character ❤

Vergil Tanner

Awwww, Dimitrius's "pet" Houndoom is coming to play! Love you baby!

QueenHaze

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on June 20, 2021, 11:38:02 PM
Awwww, Dimitrius's "pet" Houndoom is coming to play! Love you baby!

Maybe, we probably have to play it out and see Daddy  :-*

Vergil Tanner

Oh, I'm sure we will, Princess ;) If you're a good girl, that is...  >:)

Heartsink

The idea I had for a potential character was for a male Cubone from minor nobility. However, since there is very little art out there of humanoid/gijinka male Cubones, I would keep the same general concept but alter it a little. As Cubone wears the skull of its dead mother as a helmet, it would be a bit morbid to do so in human form. Instead, I'd use a Dia de los Muertos concept and my character would wear makeup of a skull to remember his dead mother, which could be a tradition in his hypothetical minor nobility family. That way other people could make characters from the same species (?) and be 'family'.

Although it doesn't seem to be the case from what I've seen so far, if most characters end up being furry-esque, then it's not really my cup of tea (just so you know)

Vergil Tanner

Hmmm, we'll have to talk about whether that fits the concept, since the general idea of Gijinka is "humans with obvious pokemon features."

But you are right, they're not Furry, they're Pokemon-like-humans, not human-like-pokemon. :P Pen and I will get back to you on the other thing though!

PentheWonderful

Quote from: QueenHaze on June 20, 2021, 11:37:00 PM
I'm interested! Thinking maybe playing a Houndoom character ❤

Yay!!!

Welcome Haze!!!

Quote from: Heartsink on June 20, 2021, 11:55:37 PM
The idea I had for a potential character was for a male Cubone from minor nobility. However, since there is very little art out there of humanoid/gijinka male Cubones, I would keep the same general concept but alter it a little. As Cubone wears the skull of its dead mother as a helmet, it would be a bit morbid to do so in human form. Instead, I'd use a Dia de los Muertos concept and my character would wear makeup of a skull to remember his dead mother, which could be a tradition in his hypothetical minor nobility family. That way other people could make characters from the same species (?) and be 'family'.

Although it doesn't seem to be the case from what I've seen so far, if most characters end up being furry-esque, then it's not really my cup of tea (just so you know)

I've discussed it with Vergil and we agree that your concept should be alright, but the character should still have some of the Pokemon's bestial traits.

I'd like to make a distinction between anthropomorphic characters (ex. Zootopia, Beastars) and gijinkas. Gijinkas are the humanization of animal characters (often with an anime aesthetic), meaning, they are still human, but can sometimes have animal-like traits like fangs, claws, or wings. The extent of these features is up to the players, but they must have at least one prominent feature.

For visual reference,

Anthropomorphism:

Gijinka:

Gardsorm

I'm going to tentatively consider interest in the game, just need a bit to figure out what I want out of one or two characters. ^^

PentheWonderful

UPDATED RESERVATION LIST

• Liepard
  • Leafeon
  • Corviknight
  • Decidueye
  • Galarian Rapidash
  • Flareon
  • Jolteon
  • Pyroar
  • Gardevoir & Gallade
  • Galvantula
  • Sneasel
  • (?)Sirfetch'd
  • (?)Cubone
  • Houndoom

Kissa

PentheWonderful

Heartsink

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on June 21, 2021, 12:09:02 AM
Hmmm, we'll have to talk about whether that fits the concept, since the general idea of Gijinka is "humans with obvious pokemon features."

But you are right, they're not Furry, they're Pokemon-like-humans, not human-like-pokemon. :P Pen and I will get back to you on the other thing though!

Quote from: PentheWonderful on June 21, 2021, 02:01:23 AMI've discussed it with Vergil and we agree that your concept should be alright, but the character should still have some of the Pokemon's bestial traits.

(...) The extent of these features is up to the players, but they must have at least one prominent feature.

Well Cubone's a pretty basic character design, a dino-like pokemon with a big bone as weapon and his mother's skull as helmet. In that sense the two main features would be his mother's skull as helmet and the bone weapon? And possibly his fur, so beige/brown clothes?

Including the skull helmet changes that I want to have - of which I've included my reasons below - would having him use a bone weapon and wear brown/beige clothes comply with your requirements?

My gijinka Cubone would be 'wearing' his mom's skull in the form of makeup in the fashion of the Dia de los Muertos, so the concept of honoring his mom and hiding his face would remain. He'd have a weapon identical to the pokemon form and he'd wear clothes matching the pokemon's colors.

Rationale for my skull changes

The gijinka that I found the most accurate as far as a humanization of Cubone (male version) goes was this one:

As you can see, he's wearing a human skull which perfectly matches the concept of the pokemon while most gijinkas had this type of design:

Although visually more like the pokemon at first glance, it doesn't match the concept perfectly since his mom's skull (his helmet) should also be humanized. As it is, it's a human wearing a cattle skull, while Cubone is specifically a being wearing their own mother's skull as helmet.

Now, the character I have in mind would look a lot like the first picture but instead of a skull mask, he would wear skull makeup. See visual summary below:

Visual summary

Pokemon base:

Character's normal body and face (in private):

Character's face with makeup (in public):

Character's clothes (tentative):

Character's weapon:

Quote from: PentheWonderful on June 21, 2021, 02:01:23 AMthe character should still have some of the Pokemon's bestial traits.

Also, if by this you meant the pokemon's monster traits like Cubone's tails or implied horns, then I'd be cool with adding tiny horns if absolutely necessary.

PentheWonderful

Well, clothes and weapons aren't exactly part of the characters actual anatomy, which is what we are looking for. For example, the horns are a great start. Another trait would be the dorsal spines or fangs.

Also, what would be the reason for your character to stay a Cubone as opposed to evolving into a Marowak? We can assume that 'evolving' is a sign of maturity as opposed to strength in this universe.

Chaosfox

Quote from: PentheWonderful on June 21, 2021, 05:50:10 AM
Well, clothes and weapons aren't exactly part of the characters actual anatomy, which is what we are looking for. For example, the horns are a great start. Another trait would be the dorsal spines or fangs.

Also, what would be the reason for your character to stay a Cubone as opposed to evolving into a Marowak? We can assume that 'evolving' is a sign of maturity as opposed to strength in this universe.

You may have to skip looking for the anatomy parts. when you look for them at least on pintrest most of the Ginjinka are basically dressed to look the part with almost nothing special on the body. And for some  Pokemon you can nto even find that. Unless you have  a better place  to look for them >.<

PentheWonderful

Quote from: Chaosfox on June 21, 2021, 06:08:48 AM
You may have to skip looking for the anatomy parts. when you look for them at least on pintrest most of the Ginjinka are basically dressed to look the part with almost nothing special on the body. And for some  Pokemon you can nto even find that. Unless you have  a better place  to look for them >.<

Well, if there are specific features you have that aren't in the picture, just note them in the "Description" part of the bio. The picture is a good reference, but you can specify differences within the sheet itself.

In fact, the pictures you choose don't have to specifically be "Pokemon Gijinka", just any character you think would suit the Pokemon would also be acceptable.

For example:

Quote from: Kissa on June 21, 2021, 03:05:30 AM
Could I use Shinano from Azur Lane as FC for Alolan Ninetales?