Xbox One Vs PS4 - Next Gen gaming

Started by Moraline, May 21, 2013, 03:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slywyn

I don't know that I care enough about Kingdom Hearts.

A lot of the story was in the not-main-games that I've never played.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Slywyn on June 11, 2013, 01:02:01 PM
I don't know that I care enough about Kingdom Hearts.

A lot of the story was in the not-main-games that I've never played.

All games are cannon....
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Inkidu

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on June 11, 2013, 01:37:36 PM
All games are cannon....
I think the complaint is that the good bits of story are in the spin-off games. The main games tend to focus on the Disney elements. :\

That's what I got, I don't like Kingdom Hearts. It's kind of humdrum. :|
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Slywyn

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on June 11, 2013, 01:37:36 PM
All games are cannon....

Sure they're all canon, but I'm not going to buy a Wii or GameBoy or 3DS JUST to play a Kingdom Hearts game with important story elements.

If you only owned a PS2 or PS3, you got fucked out of parts of the story, like who the fuck Roxas was when you started Kingdom Hearts 2, or who certain characters were. I can only imagine that it's going to get worse with Kingdom Hearts 3 because of all the extra little games for other handhelds that have come out.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Slywyn on June 11, 2013, 01:54:03 PM
Sure they're all canon, but I'm not going to buy a Wii or GameBoy or 3DS JUST to play a Kingdom Hearts game with important story elements.

If you only owned a PS2 or PS3, you got fucked out of parts of the story, like who the fuck Roxas was when you started Kingdom Hearts 2, or who certain characters were. I can only imagine that it's going to get worse with Kingdom Hearts 3 because of all the extra little games for other handhelds that have come out.
Well, soon, you won't have to worry about that, they're repackaging the first arc in HD, including the portable games for PS3 this year.

Not that this will change anything for you, but I plan on picking it up.  I love the series.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

My 2 cents on Microsoft's gaff.

I look back on a bunch of their past work, such as the Courier tablet prototype that was in development before the iPad, and I see two factions in the Microsoft decision making process. The Courier

You get some fairly good TECHNICAL thought from time to time. The Courier was a very good idea, in my opinion, that never made it to market for one reason. It didn't cover enterprise. Microsoft designers didn't even think about it. My understanding the MS Xbox design crew did the work and the MS Windows team that came together in clash of outlooks. CNet Article

I think this is another clash of outlooks within Microsoft. The 'total client control/experience' crew that wants, ironically, a degree of control similar to what Apple does through the App store. But even Apple doesn't go as far as MS WANTS to go with their 'total Windows experience' concept.' The design teams who make some interesting products, such as the Courier, run into this group. (Steve Ballmer is part of this crew, and folks like J Allard, who made the Xbox and Xbox 360 successes, isn't. )

What we are seeing here with the Xbox One, is the continued 'total market' domination the Windows intergration group has pushed from Windows 95 on, a total control of what the user does, uses and gets. The next two versions of windows will be just as bad I'm sure. I see less and less 'openness' in Windows unless the marketplace pushes them back to something more relaxed. Hopefully, the run up to release will show that this is NOT a bright idea and the 'total control' crowd will blink and back away from this. I doubt it.. but I hope they do.

I enjoy Halo.. but I'm not putting 'Hal' into my den/bedroom/wherever, and I am NOT letting them use video footage of me in my ratty PT shorts and mangled 'Undead U' tshirt for their use without my permission.

Chris Brady

My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Chris Brady on June 11, 2013, 05:31:41 PM
Well, soon, you won't have to worry about that, they're repackaging the first arc in HD, including the portable games for PS3 this year.

Not that this will change anything for you, but I plan on picking it up.  I love the series.

And roxas' game will be in cut scenes to watch so that you get his story... Though the game was terrible.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Koren

QuoteIn an interview filmed prior to Microsoft’s E3 2013 press briefing and published on GameTrailers, Microsoft’s Don Mattrick has addressed concerns about the compulsory connectivity requirements of Xbox One.

“"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it’s called Xbox 360,” said Mattrick.

“If you have zero access to the Internet, that is an offline device.”

Mattrick is aware of the kinds of gamers who’ll be missing out on Xbox One, and “absolutely” anticipated some blowback, but went on to reiterate he feels they have made the right call.

“Seriously, when I read the blogs and thought about who’s really the most impacted there was a person who said, ‘Hey I’m on a nuclear sub.’ And I don’t even know what it means to be on a nuclear sub but I’ve got to imagine it’s not easy to get an internet connection. But hey, I can empathise; if I was on a sub I’d be disappointed.

“It’s a service-based world, if you think about things and how they get better with an internet connection, that’s a design choice we’ve made. I think people will appreciate it... We did a lot of testing, a lot of consumer research and I think we made a good choice.”

Mattrick said Microsoft appreciates the passion of gamers but he believes gamers are “imagining outcomes that are worse than what we believe it’s going to be in the real world.”

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/gamers-without-internet-can-stick-with-xbox-360-says-microsoft

Microsoft you fuck wits

Also going to point out that the Xbox one needs a connection of 1.5 Mbps

I regularly get close to going below that and I have the best connection in my suburban-rural fringe. I know people out in the rural areas that are LUCKY if they get that much of a connection, no kidding. And this is Australia.
Microsoft did no consumer research clearly

Inkidu

Quote from: Koren on June 12, 2013, 03:43:24 AM
http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/gamers-without-internet-can-stick-with-xbox-360-says-microsoft

Microsoft you fuck wits

I regularly get close to going below that and I have the best connection in my suburban-rural fringe. I know people out in the rural areas that are LUCKY if they get that much of a connection, no kidding. And this is Australia.
Hey, guy on the nuclear sub, I suggest you hit the Microsoft Campus if you ever go nutso. ;D

In seriousness: I don't think I can read that much stupidity within a month, I think it begins to putrify my internal organs. :(

All Microsoft is saying is, "Sucks to be you!" obviously if you have to ask you're just a pleb and not rich enough to own an Xbox One.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

...I live in fucking Australia. We're in the process of ripping out our current internet infrastructure so businesses can stop burning data to blank discs and sending it through the mail. Yes, the mail is faster then the internet here. You just lost an entire country you fuckheads -.-

Koren

Quote from: Sabby on June 12, 2013, 07:04:26 AM
...I live in fucking Australia. We're in the process of ripping out our current internet infrastructure so businesses can stop burning data to blank discs and sending it through the mail. Yes, the mail is faster then the internet here. You just lost an entire country you fuckheads -.-

Yeah I'm an Aussie too, when i said that at my uni that I go to almost everyone groaned with frustration. About half of us live out in rural areas and dont get that connection consistently at all. Especially not every single day

Inkidu

I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't issued a statement along the lines of, "We don't want or need any of Australia's dirty wombat-kangaroo money!"

Because let's face it: The inmates are running the asylum over in Xbox Land. 

Sabby

Quote from: Inkidu on June 12, 2013, 07:42:47 AM

The inmates took over here ages ago!

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Inkidu on June 12, 2013, 07:42:47 AM
I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't issued a statement along the lines of, "We don't want or need any of Australia's dirty wombat-kangaroo money!"

You know Australia was originally a penal colony, right?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on June 12, 2013, 07:45:04 AM
The inmates took over here ages ago!
Yeah but now they've let lose the real crazies that are now eating the kind of crazy-cool people. :P

ShadowFox: Glad someone caught it. ;D

Moraline

I find it hilarious that the rhetoric being spewed my Microsoft is the same thing that has been coming from EA for the last few years.

Quote from: Chris Brady on June 12, 2013, 01:09:29 AM

Chris, I couldn't stop laughing! Thanks for the morning pick me up.

Outsider

Callie Del Noire

Microsoft you fuck wits

You mistake lack of concern about your connection for research. You're not part of their target market, so your issues aren't their problem. I have friends who have similar issues, living in the mountains of North Georgia/Tennessee means your bandwidth gets hinky. And my buddies who moved back home to rural 'Midwest nowhere' aren't any better.

Inkidu

How is the PS4 on backwards compatibility? If I do decide to get one being able to play all the PS3 games I didn't get would be a deciding factor for the purchase of a PS4. :\

Sabby

Quote from: Inkidu on June 12, 2013, 10:44:56 AM
How is the PS4 on backwards compatibility? If I do decide to get one being able to play all the PS3 games I didn't get would be a deciding factor for the purchase of a PS4. :\

Quote from: DigitalJournal.comWhile the PS4 will not be backwards compatible with PS3 games due to the changed system architecture, Sony has announced plans to start streaming PS3 games online stating in 2014, according to TechRadar UK.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/352012#ixzz2W18vCDNl

Only skimmed Google, no idea how accurate this report is.

Inkidu

Streaming PS3 games. Well, it's better than Xbone, but not really by much. :|

Fug it, going with a PC, I wonder what a top-of-the line graphics card, processor, and all solid-state hard drives is going to cost. :\
What are PCs up to multi-core-wise? The last PC I had only had two. :\

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 12, 2013, 11:02:22 AM
A good gaming PC is going to cost a bit, it's cheaper to get the parts.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2013741/build-a-killer-windows-8-gaming-pc-for-under-1-000.html
If I knew anything about building a PC I'd go for it. I wouldn't even know where to start. :P

Besides, if I'm going to build my own rig I don't want to have to touch it for at least five years. :\