MasterMischief Explores Taoism

Started by MasterMischief, July 01, 2010, 08:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterMischief

A quote I stumbled upon today.

"Daoist don't want cars and televisions, they want cookies."

So, apparently daoism is like the dark side.   ;D

MasterMischief

Friday, I discovered an error in the code used by another department.  The department I am in, I believe, is considered less tech savvy.  I did my best to point out the error as politely as possible.  I was told that no one had complained about the results, implying the code was fine and had been unchanged for years.  I was told to go back and run the code with my proposed change and see if there was a difference.  I did and there was.  I returned later to inform the individual that it made quite a bit of difference.  She said yes, she knows and I felt very brushed off at that point.

I have little doubt she will fix the code.  I did not tell anyone else about this.  I have very mixed feelings about this entire situation.  I did not tell anyone else because I did not want to be pointing out someone else's mistakes especially since I believe she is going to fix it and because I would like to eventually transfer into that department.

On the other hand, it could be something I could put on my review.  Would I be tearing someone down just to build myself up?  What if she does not fix it?  Should I tell my boss?  The only reason I even went poking around in the code to begin with is because we are in the middle of an internal audit and the auditors wanted a report that is somewhat similar to the report with the faulty code.

I think my biggest issue is that I felt 'blown off'.  And if that is really all this is about, then I simply need to move past that.  The problem is fixed and it is just my ego having a hissy fit.

I welcome others' thoughts on my situation.

meikle

"The highest good is like water
Water gives life to the ten thousand things and does not strive.
It flows in places men reject and so is like the Tao."

I felt like that line from the Tao Te Ching seemed appropriate for the situation you posted about here.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

MasterMischief

Thank you for your input, meikle.

Maybe I am making progress because I already moved on from that situation.  Just to let those of you playing the home edition know, I did nothing further.  The more I thought about it, the more it seemed it was just my ego complaining.  So I told him to sit down and shut up.

MasterMischief

The Horse Lover really hit me.  I realize I spend a lot of time doing things that really are not important.  I should be spending more time with my daughter.  Just thought I would share.

MasterMischief

I finished the Tao of Pooh today.  Very interesting.  I am not sure I agree with all of it, but it is definitely food for thought.

Biggest take away: Busybacks.

MasterMischief

It occurred to me today that the tao may not be a path or way.  Instead, it may be something to strive for that can never be achieved.  In some ways, like perfection.  It is important to note I am not saying tao = perfection.  My point is more than no one can ever be perfect.  Maybe no one can every fully achieve the tao.

And like perfection, just because we can never achieve it does not mean we should not strive for it.  If everyone were perfect, it would be a very boring world.  Again, this may be a similarity to the tao.  If we ever did fully achieve it and/or if everyone fully achieved it, the world may be something we would not wish to live in.

MasterMischief

A couple of things occurred to me Friday.  Maybe Taoism is not linear and maybe Taoism shuns absolutes.

Linear thinking has its purpose when you need to lower your head and simply bull over whatever challenge you are facing.  However, it is not as useful if it is your singular method.  Not every challenge can be simply bulled over.  Sometimes you need to evaluate the situation and seek creative ways of over coming it.

This is what I am starting to see with Wei Wu Wei and the focus given to water.  Seek the path of least resistance, or cause the least disturbance, or to put it in yet another way, work harmoniously.

Absolutes are a mental block for me.  I always see things in extremes.  The fact that Taoism seems to avoid defining itself even in one of its most sacred text is very frustrating for me.  How can I possible know that I want to try something if no one can tell me what it is?

But the world is not black and white.  As soon as you define something, it looses some of its usefulness.  If you try to define a set of rules, then you remove the power to appropriately put things into context.  For instance, I am sure many people would agree that killing is bad.  But is it always bad?  In self defense?  Is it bad to kill an insect?  Is it bad to eat meat which indirectly causes the death of an animal.  We could all argue over these points until we are blue in the face which I think only emphasizes my point.  Absolutes are difficult to find in the universe.  You could argue math, but don't make me pull out imaginary numbers.

What I am getting from Taoism that it is up to the individual to decide what is right or wrong.  A dangerous proposition to say the least.  I mean what is to stop us from having a bunch of psychotic killers running around?  Could it be that anyone smart enough to grasp this concept would have to be smart enough to know just doing whatever you want to is far from harmonious?

Maybe by not defining the rules, it is forcing the individual to examine a situation far more deeply.  What are all of the implications of any given action.  And when you get to that level, you begin to see how interconnected everything is.

Jude

Quote from: MasterMischief on October 17, 2010, 10:42:47 AMWe could all argue over these points until we are blue in the face which I think only emphasizes my point.  Absolutes are difficult to find in the universe.  You could argue math, but don't make me pull out imaginary numbers.
e ^ (i*pi) = -1 according to math; y'know, where e and pi are transcendental numbers and i is imaginary, and -1 is... -1.  I just thought I'd add a little mathematical absurdity.

MasterMischief

Serephino

I thought I'd be helpful and post some stuff.  I think it's Buddhist principles, but you said you were interested in that too, and the stuff is just plain interesting and helpful. 

QuoteOctober 21, 2010 
  Tricycle Daily Dharma   
  Placing the Mind   
  Many ways of placing the mind have been taught by the great lamas. They have
  taught, for example, that we should not run after the past, not call the
  future to us, and not be moved by the thought present in our minds now. We
  should remain completely focused on our reference point, abiding within the
  essential nature. When we become accustomed to this through study and
  practice, various meditative experiences will arise. 

MasterMischief

I am finding the eastern philosophies/religions much more appealing than the western.  To me, I think the western ones somehow got hung up on the messenger and lost the message.

Serephino

I completely agree with you there.  The 'letter' I posted earlier sums it all up pretty well.  Even Pagans can fall prey to their egos.  I've seen it happen, and it's a very sad thing. 

MasterMischief

I do not think any religion or philosophy is immune to egotism.  I daresay it is a weakness of humans in general.  Most religions seem to encourage humility.

MasterMischief

I found 365 Tao online and I check it daily for the thought of the day.  Wednesday's bothered me a bit.  Below is the thought:

There are many people who endeavor to know Tao. In the greatest sincerity, they take music lessons, read scriptures, learn foreign languages, study nutrition, change their dress, and go to temples -- all in the hopes that they will reach Tao. Sadly, they miss it by a hair's breadth. For a person to awaken to Tao, someone must give them a spark. Perhaps this is what is called direct transmission. It is odd, but this is the only way that knowledge of Tao is passed on.
Book knowledge can help and give one a deep theoretical background, but the true understanding of Tao still comes person to person. There is no other way.

So if you have any true understanding of Tao, you got it from someone. If you meet someone else who needs that spark and you are in the position to give it, then do so. Don't be selfish. There are so many people out there who want guidance and who cannot get it. If you can make a difference for at least one person, then you have tremendous merit indeed.

Someone did give me a spark, but I am no longer in touch with him.  I found him incredibly intriguing, but he left my life just as suddenly as he entered it.  Don't worry, he is not dead.  He just quit the place where I work, so I do not see him as much anymore.  I did not know him long enough that I would say he was a close friend that we would stay in touch after he left.  It was just that I recognized something in him.

I am rambling here though.  I do not feel like there is anyone in my life right now to help me as I stumble around blindly.  If I can not find my path through reading and figuring it on my own, then I am screwed.  At least it would appear for now.  I guess that is o.k.  Do any of us really find what we spend our life looking for?  Life is short and I should enjoy the journey no matter where it may end.  Whether I figure out the Tao or not.  Whether I find my 'path' or not.  If it were really so attainable, would there not be more enlightened people in the world?  And what is so great about being enlightened anyway?

MasterMischief

I like to post a quote up on my whiteboard at work each day.  Just something for me to think about, really.  Although I have gotten a lot of compliments.  Anyway, today's quote was from Buddha, "To understand everything is to forgive everything."

One way I have learned to cope with life is to better understand how I arrived at a certain situation.  For a long time I was bitter and angry because I felt people were jerks.  When I realized it was not likely out of malice, that people simply did not know the little things they did that hurt my feelings, it was easier for me to let go of that anger.

MasterMischief

Worthwhile

I was just thinking there are so few positive threads in the Politics and Religion section.  This seemed fitting:

It seems that the more you want to love, the more hatred tempts you.

Last week, one of my quotes for the day was “To understand everything is to forgive everything.”  I believe it was from Buddha, but it seemed very Taoist to me.  For me, it does seem difficult to remain angry at someone when I understand where they are coming from.  But it is very difficult to set aside our ego.  We have this need to be right and insist those who disagree with us are wrong.  The more I dig, the more it seems we are all right and wrong at the same time.

Western society does not seem to revere humility.  In fact, it seems a curse.  Without humility, we can not set aside our ego.  We can not honestly seek understanding of a viewpoint strongly different from our own.  Satan succumbed to arrogance, and it seems we are all following his example.

MasterMischief

I wish there were more positivity in the Politics and Religion area.  In fact, I started this thread hoping to add something more than the usual polarization.  I am still thinking on how I might be able to bring that about.

MasterMischief

I was thinking today I see two premises:

Everyone has a different perspective
All perspectives are valid

Therefore, we should try to act with Compassion, Humility and Moderation.  This may not be the sum total of Taoism, but it seems like a good place to start.

Now, the second premise poses a problem with something like...say a serial killer where I think most people would agree that perspective may not be valid.  I do not have a 'fix' for this yet, but I think the premises still work for the most part.  I do think it is important to remember this failing though.

I am also considering that human perspectives are not the only valid ones.  Honestly, I do not think we are 'better' than animals.  In fact, I believe we are animals.  We just developed brains instead of claws.

This could be problematic, as I am not suggesting PETA level of reverence for animals.  I eat meat.  I think this may be one place where moderation comes in.  It is good to be compassionate for animals, but you do not have to take it to an extreme level where you will not tolerate the killing of an ant.  I am against unnecessary violence against animals.  I see no real purpose to dog or cock fights.  If people want to beat the sense out of one another for money, more power to them.  The animal does not have a choice and there are plenty of people willing to beat the sense out of one another for money, so I do not see the need.

It also occurs to me that the human race as a whole needs to demonstrate more compassion to the race as a whole before we can really attain a level of demonstrating a meaningful compassion to animals.  If we still treat our own species like crap, can we be expected to treat another species any better?

Oh...and I feel for the Libyan people.  I wish them well and hope they win their freedom.

MasterMischief

Entertainment

It seems people never tire of seeking new thrills. They crave entertainment, and they want newer, sharper experiences. Events do not even need to be actual -- people are more than content with recreations, displays, and stimulating machines. Music must be amplified. A historic location must have museums, shops, and festivals. Life must have elaborate ceremonies with images, music, speaking, dining, and drinking.

Followers of Tao regard all reality as being projections of our minds. All phenomena are subjective and relative. Therefore, it is folly to further entangle ourselves in confusion. True reality lies in withdrawal from the swirling variations of the outside world. It lies in looking within and then slowly peeling away the layers of subjectivity. What will remain is not a core of objectivity, but a kernel of truth that absorbs rather than reflects. If we enter into this kernel, our minds cease to continue their habits of creating stimulating realities, and we enter into a silence that feels perfect and whole.

I still like entertainment to distract my mind.  However, as of late, I have been able to see more of the beauty that surrounds me.  The feel of grass beneath my bare feet.  The moon.  The laughter of a child.  It can be nearly anywhere you look.  It is just not always easy to look for it.

MasterMischief

I pulled out the Tao Te Ching last night and my 7 year old daughter asked me what it was.  I tried to explain as best I could.  I do not think I full understand it myself.  She then asked me to read some to her.  I have a hard enough time understanding it myself, but I saw no reason not to read some for her.

I read the first part, which, of course made absolutely no sense to her.  I suggested that we try Ron Hogan's translation, since that one makes more sense to me.  I read the part about stop wanting things and she asked me to explain.  I said that I thought it was telling us not to want silly things.  And I asked her what she thought was important.  I was expecting something like love or family.

Food, she says.  Water.  I was stunned.  My daughter is a genius.  Love and family is important.  But so is food and water.  The truth and simplicity of her response, I think, is exactly what the masters would have said.  We must not loose sight of what is important even when we take it for granted.

Heidili

*smiles*
That IS something we so easily forget. Through the day there are so many things we "need". We forget there are such clear differences between "need" and "want".

Even a need like "food" can be broken down further, can't it? Do we NEED that super delicious mouth watering chipotle chick burger with sweet potato fries and a vanilla milkshake? Or do we want it?

God I'm hungry now....

MasterMischief

Agreed.

I also think it hints that while the Tao is often exceedingly complicated, it is also very simple sometimes.

Oniya

It helps that children have an easier time bringing the 'Beginner's Mind'.  After all, at seven, most people have no preconceptions about these things.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

MasterMischief

Delving into Toaism, I have a new respect for Uncle Iro from Avatar: the Last Airbender.