Started by Moraline, September 03, 2013, 02:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moraline

BTS moves to it's NEW home...

[ BTS ] Beyond The Supernatural - IC
[ BTS ] Beyond The Supernatural - OOC

[ BTS ] Scenario One - OOC

Beyond The Supernatural

This thread is for game related OOC banter and metainformation.

• Please ask lots of questions. This game will partially be dependent on questions asked.
  • The GM will tell you when a roll is needed for something and what is to be rolled, generally just a random 1-100 number. *See below for the dicebot tutorial spoiler   
  • All player character profiles are contained in the second post. 
  • Link below for IC thread.
  • ... possibly more information to come 
  •    

Dicebot Images/Explanation

*Click Images to enlarge and again to shrink it back up.

Step 1: Find the Dicebot. (Or click this link here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/dicebot.php)

Step 2: The layout of the land, adding - character name and random number range.

Step 3: Filled out example.

Step 4: The results.

Step 5: Getting a line of code to copy into your post to display your results to the world.

- What it will look like if someone clicks on the link in your post. -

Links: 
[ BTS ] Scenario One - IC
[ BTS ] Scenario One - Into the Shadows (IC)  (Non-Adult, What happened when Maggie and Robert were pulled into the Darkness)

Moraline

Neela Roland
Player Name: Rainy High
Description: Starting age is 16. Neela is an Eastern Indian raised in America from a young age. She has long brown straight hair, brown eyes, and light caramel colored skin. She starts in the story as being 4'11" tall and 120 pounds.

Clichés 
Basketball
Soccer
Hair and Make-Up
Cooking

Tools
Wallet, mascara, lip gloss, cell phone.

Hooks
Neela is a optimistic person. She believes as long as your body and mind are healthy your life is good. Neela's greatest fear as the story sets out is that she will not make the starting line for her basketball team because she is too short. Neela's religious views are Christian as the story sets out. She is raised Christian by her adoptive family. In the classroom, Neela is serious about her studies; she will joke from time to time but not as often as she would outside the classroom. At school (not inside a classroom), Neela is chatty with her close friends and smiles at most people including kids that growl at the sight of anything moving. Friendly is how most people would describe her. She is shy when meeting people but once she knows them; she can talk their ear off.

Tales
Neela was born in India and given up for adoption at the age of two. The Roland family took her to America shortly after and her home has been with them ever since. As a child Neela was bony had braces and huge eyeglasses. It was not until she was 13 that she began to wear cool eyeglasses, her braces were gone and she finally stopped looking like skin and bones.

When she was 6 years old, Neela went to the lake with her family. She was sitting on the shore watching strange scorpion like bugs crawling around. When she told her mother about them, her mother told her she was seeing things. One bit Neela the same day and her mother told her she must have mistaken the scorpion like bugs for something else. Scorpions did not exist in their area of the country. However, Neela was not faking the burning sensation in her foot after being bit.

Maggie Foss
Player Name: Ixy
Description: At age 15, Mags is a long-limbed, slender girl with coppery hair and pale skin.  Tomboyish and self-conscious, she goes to great lengths to avoid being the center of attention in class, social events, and in the streets.  She carries her thin shoulders low, frequently dons a worn-out ballcap low over her eyes, and hugs a denim jacket close to her when she sleeps through class, lingers in the back of the bus, or glances up uncomfortably between sentences as she passes you in the hall.

Clichés

• Outdoorsy
  • Street-smart
  • Music: guitar, voice (rock)
  • Vocational: shop, repair, improvement
  • Cross-country runner
  • Sneaky

Tools:

• Sharpie
  • Boots
  • Denim Jacket
  • Walkman
  • Gym bag/shoes

Hooks:

Maggie picks up the slack for her deadbeat mother and incarcerated father, working hours after school to provide for them and cleaning bottles from their two-bedroom apartment by herself before her kid siblings get there.   She's a teenage girl in most ways-- she gets crushes, she listens to music, she is self-conscious and she's impulsively emotional-- but in a lot of ways she has had to grow up quickly, forfeiting free time, self-development, and much-needed socializing.  Still, she carries it silently, stays to the fringes and gets by as best she can.  Cross-country is a big 'escape' for her, and she loves to lose herself in the music through her headphones as she runs, tuning out the world, disappearing into her own head while the world glides by one stride at a time.

Tales:

• Before her father was incarcerated, Mags' family camped out often, and she was often expected to tag along on his hunting trips.  She learned that she was sneaky enough to 'lose' her step-father eventually, and finally did so successfully at age 11.  Her father had drug her along on a particularly bad autumn trip in early deer season (her least favorite, as she loved deer), so-- under-supplied and miserable, she took her father's ammunition and disappeared into the forest one night.  Forest rangers were combing the woods and were prepared to alert authorities the next day when it was discovered that Mags, comfortable and safe, was at the family's apartment in the city, thirty-seven miles away from the woods where she'd left the hunt.
  • Mags joined the cross-country team last year as part of an agreement with a few faculty members at the school, who convinced her mother that the frequently-suspended girl needed to participate in an after-school activity to appease social workers who were threatening to take her from her home due to her truency and low academic performance.  In truth, Mags joined the team because it is the only break she gets from home.  She is avoiding her alcoholic mother who, without her husband's income since his 4-year sentence for assault and drunken/disorderly conduct, has increasingly demanded that Mags step up her hours at an after-school job to help 'make ends meet' (though she refuses to seek employment herself).  Mags still works between 20 and 40 hours a week after school and on weekends at a grocery store (her work permit is, actually, in jeopardy) and is occasionally paid 'under the table' to help overnight at a local garage... as such, she sleeps through most of her classes.
  • Her favorite place to go with her friends is a stretch of railroad-owned land, mostly just empty fields and a creek, she calls 'the barrens'.  She know where a break in a fence can be found and, on warmer nights, has even camped out there.  She met Grace, a homeless woman, there early one Spring.  She told Mags stories about her life, about working in a store in the rural South, about how her husband had locked her in an asylum until Reagan shut them all down and she was on the street, how she'd had a dog named Lad when she was a girl.  Then, one day, Mags returned to the barrens and found police there, so she stayed clear. A newspaper blurb the next day indicated that the homeless woman, Grace Carver, had been found dead at that spot.  Apparently, she'd been dead most of the winter, and was only found because of the smell when the thaw came.  Mags distinctly remembered conversing with her only two days prior.

Alfred "Al" Birche
Player Name: TheHangedMan
Description: 14. Short brown hair (crew cut), sad brown eyes. Somewhat short, slightly chubby.
Clichés

• Video Games 
  • Reading 
  • Writing   
  • Music (Plays the flute)
  • Loves animals

Tools:

• Pan Flute (kept in a small carrying case)
  • Playstation Portable
  • Paperback of Lord of the Flies
Hooks:

• Shy, and tends towards solitary activities.
  • Tends to freeze up like a rabbit when frightened. 
  • Fairly precocious.
  • When he speaks, it's often with a surprising degree of eloquence and sharp intellect for one so young.

Tales:

• Originally born into an abusive family. Wound up in the foster care system at the age of 8. Currently living with his third 'family'. Because of his constant moving around, and being subjected to new environments full of new people, Al has a tendency towards shyness and isolation. He's always expecting to be uprooted once again, so why bother sticking roots in the ground?
  • Once stood up to a bully at the age of 13, who was picking on someone else. Wound up with a broken left arm during the altercation, but broke the bully's nose and blackened both of his eyes. Consequently, he has earned a somewhat undeserved reputation for violence, which is further enforced by his loner tendencies.
  • Recently took in a kitten off the streets he found. It was half-blind and nearly dead from starvation, the mother either killed or having abandoned it; he wasn't sure which. However, he nursed the kitten back to health, with permission from his foster parents, and continues to take good care of it, finding much in common with the animal.

Read the oath. I think it's kind of silly that people actually need an oath, because I believe in self-accountability... but yes, "I agree to and understand The Oath of the Drake".[/list]

Jeong Soo-Jin
Player Name: Lithium
Description: Jin is fifteen, of full Korean descent and has brown eyes and hair. She's relatively short and petite but has already developed some curves which help her to look maybe a year or two older. She's not obsessed with her appearance, but she does generally try to look nice, and may even try to impress on a special occasion.

Clichés

• School, especially physics, math and chemistry
  • Chess
  • Gaming
  • Soccer
  • Playing piano
  • Reading
  • Movies

Tools:
  • Smartphone
  • Laptop
  • Soccer goalkeeper gloves
  • Whatever latest book she's reading

Hooks: Jin is a very focused, determined girl with rather high standards. She's smart, learns quickly and is naturally talented in several areas, so she tends to be condescending to others pretty often, usually not even intentionally. She just expresses herself quite directly most of the time and doesn't really consider the feelings of those that she's talking to until it's too late. She's sarcastic, cynical and pessimistic a lot of the time, thought that's not to be confused with always being serious, because she does like to have fun as well. She can also be quite bossy and controlling. All in all, Jin's personality has made her a polarizing personality at school. Some people who enjoy having somebody to follow rather than leading themselves like her, then there are others who fear and/or love and/or worship her for how seemingly amazing she is at a lot of things, and finally there are also those who dislike her to varying degrees for a number of different reasons.

She's very proper when she speaks and doesn't like to swear. Also, Jin kind of likes attention even if she pretends to not really care.

Tales

• When Jin went to sign up for the soccer team, the woman handling the registrations told her that she wouldn't make a good keeper because of her size, which is precisely why she insisted on the position just to prove her wrong. She's really vocal on the field during games and in practice, often acting like the captain even though she technically isn't. If not for the fact that the captain title was always given to one of the older girls, however, she probably would have already gotten it.
  • Her parents are devout Catholics and raised Jin to be one too, but at fourteen she had a huge debate with them when she admitted that she hated it and didn't believe any of it made any sense. It ended with her coming out about her atheism and her parents barely speaking to her for weeks after she refused to continue going to church.
  • Jin's most traumatizing experience was when she pissed off a bully at school by picking apart something that the other girl had said...which lead to her getting beat up in the locker room after gym class (luckily it was just the two of them so nobody else saw). She did get her revenge by getting the other girl expelled, though.

Robert Long
Player Name: London
Description: Starting at age 14. Standing 5’3” and weighing 123lbs, Robert is a thin teenager with dark black hair and deep emerald green eyes. Normally dressed in an old army coat, it’s hard to tell much about him. He looks like most teenagers that live on the street.

Clichés

• Gaming
  • Skateboarding
  • History Club
  • Drama Club
  • Sneaky

Tools:

• Skateboard
  • Old Army Jacket
  • Smart Phone
  • Backpack

Hooks:
Although impossible to tell just from looking at him, Robert comes from a very wealthy family. Being the youngest of four children, he has always been left behind and felt forgotten by most of his family. Even though he comes from money, he is nothing like his older sibling and flashing it around. Although he always has money in his pocket, he would be more likely to buy something for someone and give it to them without them knowing. Having always been independent, he has grown into a teen that feels like he doesn’t need anyone. This is far from the truth. Robert stays in the shadows most of the time, but truly enjoys acting in the Drama Club.

Tales:
When Robert was ten, he had met a group of skateboards that took him under their wing. Teaching him how to ride a skateboard at first, he also learned how to sneak out of the house. It wasn’t until he came home in the early hours of the morning and ran into his father that he realized that no one even missed him. Over the years, he became so skilled in sneaking around he started staying out more and more until he was barely home at all.

Going on vacation with his family one year, Robert slipped away from the others to ride his skateboard. Rolling down the boardwalk, he kicked his board up to walk under one of the piers. Seeing a girl around his own age playing in the sand, he moved closer to talk to her. Laughing with her for the longest time, he looked up when he heard his older sister yelling his name. Watching her walk over, his sister asked him when he had started making sand castles. Looking back to the castle the girl had been working, she had disappeared. His sister pulled him away telling him that everyone was waiting for him to go to dinner. As they walked away, Robert looked back over his shoulder, seeing the girl smile at him before vanishing before his eyes.

Moraline

Discussion of character friendships:

Neela (RainyHigh) & Jin (Lithium) are on the soccer team together. So they know each other through that.

Neela & Jin know Maggie (Ixy) because Maggie is on the cross-country running team and sometimes the soccer club has to go running with them for training.

Jin & Maggie are in the same classes.

Plus Maggie is always working at "The Fresh." A little indoor/outdoor cafe next to the strip mall. So everyone knows her from there.

Al (TheHangedMan) knows Robert (London) because they bump into each other on the streets from time to time and have a mutual interest in video games.

Al & Robert are in the same classes.

How does that sound? I suggest that everyone knows each other in passing but are maybe not really friends yet.

Where does Maggie work? *I was thinking she works at an outdoor food court on the side of a shopping mall?

IC - Beginning Posting Stuff -

Scenario 1 - Chapter 1 - The Night Terrors

• We begin at midnight as you wake.
  • This is the 7th night in a row this dream has woke you up but the first night you got out of bed.
  • Some of you have the urge to call one of the others. Also you can't shake the feeling the all of the others were in your dream (even if you don't know them that well.)
  • If you explore your homes you'll find all your family is gone.
  • Everyone roll a perception check. This will determine if your character notices that outside there is not a single person, no people sounds in the distance, or animal sounds.

• The roll is from 1-100.
    • Put the results directly under your Tag in your post.
    • If you roll under a 50 then you notice. If you roll 51+ then you fail to notice that there is NO ONE outside.
    • Let your post reflect your results.
  • Special note: Al (TheHangedMan), your kitty is with you in your room and he/she will follow you around.
  • Environment note: The city is a large sprawling city(think San Diego or LA like) with busy downtown core and all of that stuff. Everyone lives in and around the burbs, basically a ways outside the city core.
  • Time: It's late September but it's still very warm and humid out.

TheHangedOne

Makes sense to me, so I'm cool with it if London is.

I'll try to get a post up some time either in the next hour or, if not, then tomorrow morning (since I'll be gone all night tonight, and chilling with some friends).
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Ixy

I think that the connections make perfect sense. I will be referring back to them often.

Let's call Maggie's work place "The Fresh" or something suitably cheesy like that-- she can bus and wait tables after school, or do later-night cleaning, prep work for the next morning, etc.  Plus, there's always weekends.  Her schedule can be whatever works out.

Moraline

Quote from: Ixy on September 03, 2013, 06:18:19 PM
I think that the connections make perfect sense. I will be referring back to them often.

Let's call Maggie's work place "The Fresh" or something suitably cheesy like that-- she can bus and wait tables after school, or do later-night cleaning, prep work for the next morning, etc.  Plus, there's always weekends.  Her schedule can be whatever works out.
I updated the name to "The Fresh." An indoor/outdoor cafe next to the strip mall.

If anyone has read my little dicebot tutorial and still needs some assistance just shoot me a PM.

London

I don't mind at all HangedMan. It makes perfect sense to me too.

I'll post in a few minutes.

RainyHigh

I am working over time today so you may have to excuse me from the first round.
Rainy's Ons and Offs
Currently not open for solo stories

Moraline

Quote from: RainyHigh on September 04, 2013, 09:14:40 AM
I am working over time today so you may have to excuse me from the first round.
Take your time, get your post up when you can. We are just letting people get the feel for their characters and the world around them.

Nothing really major happens until this Saturday. 

On Saturday, I will have the expectation of players asking lots of questions, the posts being much shorter, dice rolling, and me putting up a lot of little GM posts.

*Note: If anyone can't make the fast paced Saturday GM guided posting then shot me a quick PM and we'll work something out.

London

Since Moraline already knows, I thought I would let everyone else know that I won't be in town this weekend. I'll be leaving Friday afternoon and coming back Sunday evening.

Moraline

Quote from: London on September 04, 2013, 02:48:04 PM
Since Moraline already knows, I thought I would let everyone else know that I won't be in town this weekend. I'll be leaving Friday afternoon and coming back Sunday evening.
That's cool. I'll just be writing you out of the scene for Saturday and you and I will do your event solo.

London

Cool deal. Just let me know when it's ready.

Moraline

GM NOTE:

Before we head into Saturday I need you all to PM me somethings.

1)  I want each of you to pick your own image of a Fae/Demon/Monster/etc... (Human sized roughly and between like 6 inches - 9 feet tall.)  Pick something that you like for whatever reason and PM it to me (also, in the simplest terms, tell me why you like it in the PM. One or two words is all that's needed.)

2) Tell me a super short story from your characters past that possible involves their biggest fears, or inner most feelings. It can actually be anything deeply emotional for the character. All I need is a line or two.

Moraline

Quote from: Moraline on September 05, 2013, 07:24:40 AM

GM NOTE:

Before we head into Saturday I need you all to PM me somethings.

1)  I want each of you to pick your own image of a Fae/Demon/Monster/etc... (Human sized roughly and between like 6 inches - 9 feet tall.)  Pick something that you like for whatever reason and PM it to me (also, in the simplest terms, tell me why you like it in the PM. One or two words is all that's needed.)

2) Tell me a super short story from your characters past that possible involves their biggest fears, or inner most feelings. It can actually be anything deeply emotional for the character. All I need is a line or two.

*EDIT*

GM Update:   

First Event Begins Saturday, about 5 pm (-5 GMT, EST North America) <That's about 2pm PST for West Coast US>.
I will probably start earlier but it will be 5pm at the latest. If everyone is around earlier that's great, if not that's cool too. We'll just be going with the flow.

London

I'll be going out of town in a few short hours but thought I had better do this now while I'm thinking about it.

Moraline, I'm handing control of Robert over to you while I'm gone. I should be back Sunday evening.

I hope everyone has a lot of fun Saturday.

Moraline

Quote from: London on September 06, 2013, 05:08:23 AM
I'll be going out of town in a few short hours but thought I had better do this now while I'm thinking about it.

Moraline, I'm handing control of Robert over to you while I'm gone. I should be back Sunday evening.

I hope everyone has a lot of fun Saturday.
No problem, we discussed my intention with your character. I'll try not to rough him up too much. HAHA

Moraline

Just want to make sure that everyone gets their posts up and characters to the School building with the others.

Chapter 2 - It's Just My Imagination... (Click me to go to post)

In front of the school will be our starting point for tomorrow's RP.

Moraline

Quote from: Moraline on September 06, 2013, 07:48:00 PM

Just want to make sure that everyone gets their posts up and characters to the School building with the others.

Chapter 2 - It's Just My Imagination... (Click me to go to post)

In front of the school will be our starting point for tomorrow's RP.

Today's RP:

• Begin by getting all the characters together. I believe Maggie is going to try to run into the school.   
  • It's night. The school doors are locked and most likely chained up on the inside. The windows are either barred or have those little wires in them to keep them from breaking.   
  • Make your posts. Keep them SHORT(so we can move fast) and every action should come with a question here in OOC for me.
    You won't need to ask if you pick up your iPhone if you drop it but you should ask if the door ahead of you is locked when you try to turn it. Or if you want to look into a closet you should ask about it before you attempt it, etc...
    The primary philosophy here is that you are going to "attempt/try" every major action and I will tell you if it can happen and/or if you need to make a roll on it.   
  • I'll be making GM posts periodically in between player posts but for certain at the end of every posting rotation. So from here on out today, I'm in the posting rotation.
  • Small environment points to keep in mind
    It's dark, there is a mist/fog everywhere so the sky is pretty much pitch black.
    The surrounding city just looks like suddenly everyone vanished from it. Not even animals around (except Al's kitty). So a few odd lights are on and what would normally be open is open and what would normally be closed is closed. 
  • In front of the school the shadows now are no longer warped, instead they appear to be rippling in slow waves.   
  • *NOTE* As soon as everyone gets caught up to the school I'll make the first GM post of the day.
    I think we are just waiting on RainyHigh(Neela) to catch up but she's waiting on Lithium(Jin) to respond to a text.   
  • YIM - If anyone wants my YIM to ask questions, just send me a PM with your YIM address in it and I'll add you to my lists. 
  • <I'll add to this if needed in the next few minutes if anyone has any questions?>   

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Moraline

Quote from: TheHangedMan on September 07, 2013, 02:56:12 PM
I am prepared! And early.  8-)
Feel free to make a post to bring you right up to the other people if you like.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Moraline on September 07, 2013, 03:21:55 PM
Feel free to make a post to bring you right up to the other people if you like.
Can we just presume he is with them, and out of breath? Since I'd rather not double post.  :-)
Check out my poet tree!

RainyHigh

I should have a post up soon hangedman.
Rainy's Ons and Offs
Currently not open for solo stories

Moraline

RainyHigh and you can come in together. That way everyone will be starting on the same page, if that's okay?

As soon as she posts I'll come in make a GM post.

Ixy

Ok-- I'll give anyone else a chance to reply before Maggie hits the door and finds it locked, and will be good to go.  There will be a point at about 5:20 PM when I'll need to take a 10 minute break or so.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Moraline on September 07, 2013, 03:59:42 PM
RainyHigh and you can come in together. That way everyone will be starting on the same page, if that's okay?

As soon as she posts I'll come in make a GM post.
Okay.  :-)
Check out my poet tree!