News:

Main Menu

Card Games

Started by Will, December 01, 2008, 02:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

There seems to be a lot of talk about console and computer games, as well as pen and paper RPGs (for obvious reasons),  but what about card-type games?  Anybody have any favorites?  I recently heard of one called "Chez Geek," and was told it was pretty fun.  Anyone know more about it?
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

HairyHeretic

I have a variety of card games ... we play them in the infrequent weekend long gatherings my pen and paper group has at my place (normally bank holidays).

First up, Munchkin. Munchkin, and all its sequels, are roleplaying reduced to the absolute basics. Kick open the door, kill the monster, loot the treasure. The aim of the game is to be the first to get to a certain level (normally 10). You get a level by killing a monster (or via a few other cards in the game) .. but because the players are all munchkins, there is plenty of backstabbing along the way.

Munchkin is basic fantasy gaming. In addition you have Star Munchkin (sci fi), Munchkin Fu (HK action movies), Munchkin Bites (horror), Super Munchkin (supers), Munchkin Impossible (a spy one), The Good, The Bad, and the Munchkin (western), Munchkinthulu (Cthulhu munchkin) and the latest I believe is Munchkin Booty (Pirates). As well as these, you have add ons for the different games, and Munchkin Blender, which allows you to mix 2+ sets together. At that point it gets exceptionally silly.

Player 1 - "My half elf, half catgirl yakuza/werewolf attacks the Gazebo with the Boots of Buttkicking and the Chainsaw of Dismemberment Of my Grandfather"
Player 2 - "The Gazebo is actually from another dimension" (Gazebo gets +5 levels and a stylish goatee)
Player 3 - "So is its clone" (add a second Gazebo from another dimension)

Chez Geek: Chez Geek is basically a game set in a shared appartment. The players are the people that live there, and the aim of the game is the first to reach a set number of slack points. That value is determined by the job card the player has .. each is different, and gives a player different free time (actions) and income (cash). The more you have of one, the less you have of the other, generally speaking. Buying stuff gives slack, as does different activities. Some players get bonues to different activities because of who they are (i.e. the Drummer gets +1 to their nookie rolls).

Follow up to this include Chez Greek (At University), Chez Grunt (in the army), Chez Goth (like Chez Geek, but with added Gloom) and Chez Gueverra (slacking revolutionaries).

Another fun game is Illuminati. The players each represent one of the secret masters of the world (or wannabe masters at least) and you build your powerbase by taking over various groups. Groups give power and cash, and the addition of artifacts gives more fun to the game. My group will NEVER let me get the Orbital Mind Control Lasers ever again  ;D

My last game, I had the Servents of Cthulhu, who by turn 2 or 3 had turned into the Servents of Zoidberg instead .. woopwoopwoopwoopwoopwoop  :D  Each group has their own victory conditions.

Another fun one is Kung Fu Fighting. Its a fairly straightforward game .. you are the ancient and honourable masters of kung fu, out to prove that your kung fu is the strongest. Kick, punch and trip your way to victory, utilising the stances of the snake style, the tiger style and many others. This game is best played with everyone doing badly dubbed 70s kung fu movie voices.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Inkidu

I used to play Magic: The Gathering, but honestly I just collected it for the card art. (Kamigawa yay!) I just found that playing games like that wasn't really about skill it was about spending the money to get the cards to make the strategy that someone else proved by mathematics.
I found this out by getting my ass kicked first turn, by an infinite loop. Fuck the universe on that account.

(Munchkins not withstanding of course, because that's so delightfully campy.)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Lady Annabelle

I have played many games of Munchkin and Chez Geek with my friends.  Munchkin is much more enjoyable if you understand 'nerd' culture and have played many D&D games.  Chez Geek is better if you have a knowledge of the world around you and popular culture.

However, they are both highly recommended and perfect for a card game with about 3 or 4 friends.

Some other good games to play.
- Red Dragon Inn
- Apples To Apples
- Fluxx (Is REALLY fun to play)

A good website for you to browse is boardgamegeek.com.
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Inkidu on December 01, 2008, 03:28:27 PM
I used to play Magic: The Gathering, but honestly I just collected it for the card art. (Kamigawa yay!) I just found that playing games like that wasn't really about skill it was about spending the money to get the cards to make the strategy that someone else proved by mathematics.
I found this out by getting my ass kicked first turn, by an infinite loop. Fuck the universe on that account.

(Munchkins not withstanding of course, because that's so delightfully campy.)

I played a couple of games of Magic, but never really found it anything special.

I did play the Legend of the Five Rings CCG back in .. Gold edition I think. I enjoyed it, but didn't like the idea of constantly having to buy new cards.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Will

Chez Geek does indeed sound massively fun, as well as Munchkin.  I played a bit of Magic, but never got into it enough to buy the cards.  However, I did play a lot of the Star Wars CCG.  I've still got all my cards from it, and that's quite a few.  Somewhere around here, anyway...

Fluxx?  Wow, that sounds so familiar!  Hmm... *goes to look it up*
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac