From the Sword's Perspective

Started by Vekseid, December 28, 2010, 09:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

grdell

Wow... It's a good thing swords can't get dizzy and sick...

Super cool vid, though!
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

Spell

Now I wanna see a swordfight with the camera attached to it!  ;D
Darling,
What is going on...
Honestly that never happened,
Lying is your favorite passion...

Neroon

What I find fascinating is that, though I know the swordsman is moving the sword, it is all but impossible to view it without the impression that the sword is moving the swordsman, who is merely dangling from it.  The disparity between what I know and what I perceive watching this is quite disconcerting and also interesting me as to why that happens.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

Oniya

It's probably the fact that the camera registers as 'stable', because that's what cameras are supposed to be. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Oniya on January 01, 2011, 12:31:49 PM
It's probably the fact that the camera registers as 'stable', because that's what cameras are supposed to be.

This.

People have the perception that the eye is like a camera, passively recording what it sees, projecting it onto the retina for immediate viewing.  But the reality is that the brain is intimately involved in processing that data and rendering its version of it, which is what we "see."  This is how optical illusions work: exploiting known weaknesses and foibles in how the brain processes visual information.

Trieste

I actually had the opposite - a sense of vertigo while I was watching, like "Why aren't I feeling directional changes and acceleration?"

You could probably figure out how quickly the tip of the sword is spinning if you figured out the speed of revolution and the length of the sword and the arm. Given that when you hold a sword out at full extension and spin, it has to complete a wider circle than your shoulder in the same amount of time, the sword tip will be covering more ground in the same amount of time. So technically, even though it has the same speed as your shoulder, it is moving faster. Or, moving differently. I'm not sure. That's about the extent of my physics.