[BEHEMOTH] Fantasy + Huge Weapons & Big Monsters. (Looking for LARGE Group RP)

Started by Acid, April 23, 2012, 09:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acid

BEHEMOTH; a Tragedy, a Tale

“In vainglory they arose, shouting challenges at the Gods.” - Fran, Final Fantasy XII
“Foul beasts forged of hellfire, forbidden Magicks and rebellion. In the past, these beasts may have been Guardians  of Light, but now they are spawn of the Abyss.” - Arkah

This RP will consist almost entirely of fighting huge monsters on an Advanced writing level. If that’s not your thing, you probably won’t like this RP. Here's the setup (it's not short):

[Lune]
Lune
– a fledgling town floating somewhere on a small island at sea. The citizens have no way off the small 100-mile-radius island, which holds all 250 people. Every other part of the island is unexplored and feared by the people. The time period and scenario these people live in is something like Hogsmeade + any stereotypical JRPG town + Harvest Moon + Westeros + Greco-Roman Coliseum dueling. They are in an alternate timeline, but in a Medieval sort of time period and they’re highly religious and superstitious and have a penchant for soothsaying and telling of legends. Bards pass down legends to the generations by singing praises of the Gods and spitting daggers at the evil mythical beasts. The Mythical Beasts are foul creatures which have been known for generations to threaten the human way of life. These Mythical Beasts are spawn of their pantheon of Gods and Goddesses and are often malevolent, although sacred spirits. They’re highly-respected, and offerings in these evil spirits are made monthly to appease them, due to their direct relation to Gods, but are feared and reviled for their endless torment of Humans.

East: There is a lake to the East of the village, with a dense forest on the other side. Grains such as rye, barley, wheat and corn are grown by the lake. Tubers and fruit are also cultivated by the water’s edge which keeps the soil fertile.
North: A mountain range to the North and West effectively blockades Lune on 3 sides. A light brush forest covers the base of the mountain and the Beasts that reside inside are hunted for food and fur.
West: Past the forest to the West, lies the Arkis Barracks and a rock Quarry where minerals, coal and gold are mined. 
South: To the South lies a thick forest, where timber is collected for firewood and building Lune.

The local pub is in this town square, only a few feet from the administration building of the Arkestron Court. 

In the North end of the village, the church of Ark stands tall over Lune, a symbol of its complete and unwavering control over the village.

To the West is the Arkis Barracks, which house the Arkis generals and serve as the station for the Lune military and epicenter of Lune safety. Most Lune men join the army, with a few joining the clergy. Women mostly forage for wild berries, slaughter the Feral beasts for food, and harvest the growing crops while their husbands are off at training. Due to the close proximity of the barracks to the rest of the village, most husbands are in time for dinner and also help farm the land and cook. The soldiers are required to come to the Barracks daily and right after the Ark sermon on Monday mornings. The Barracks house the soldiers during the daytime and are a storage for dozens of highly ornate and well-crafted artisan weapons. These objects are the town’s pride and joy and to them, they represent resilience and respect for the labor necessary to thrive. This is why the Arkis must be active regularly; they are paying homage and praying to these Arkam weapons.

The religion, which all of the citizens believe in is known only as Ark. The single page of papyrus on which their entire religion is written out is known as Arkah. Arke pray to a very Republican/Conservative Moon Goddess known as Luna. The Moon Goddess is known to control the daily light which warms the plants and the bountiful harvest. However, approximately 25% of the citizens have separated from the main church (their churches look pretty much like modern day catholic churches.) These separatists believe worship of Luna is incorrect and the humans must submit themselves to the Goddess of the Seas, Leviathan. The Goddess of the Seas, Leviathan, is responsible for the ebb and flow of tide and the rains which shower the island and sustain the humans and plants.

Their Military, known as Arkis, is adorned in red velvet capes and galea, the soldiers look a bit flamboyant and not-combat-ready. Although not very menacing, the golden plate mail, galea helmets and capes they don, actually allow the soldier mobility and only slightly impaired movement, should he/she face combat. Women are viewed as equally vital components of combat, no less important than male soldiers. The female Arkis appears exactly the same as the males, but their chest armor is slightly more feminized to accommodate the female’s bust and hips. It’s still not what anyone would consider “hot,” but you can tell who’s a female and who’s not obviously. The Arkis conduct of behavior demands extremely rigid formal ceremonies, although that’s about the only time the Arkis are serious. The rest of the time, they’re combat training and goofing off or getting ridiculously drunk at the pub. Dishonored soldiers take their duty very seriously and return to the Arkis camp to face their punishment. Lune is governed by a council of 10 equally powerful elders collectively referred to as the Arkestro.

Galea:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
The military is highly untrained. Most of the soldiers have never seen any combat, although they are required to participate in hours of daily combat training. The weapons they use are oversized cleavers and huge blunt objects. These gargantuan weapons, known as Arkam, are flashy although they weigh so much (hundreds of pounds/kilograms) that combat with them is impaired greatly and single attack leaves everyone extremely vulnerable for anywhere from 10-60 seconds. Nobody knows where the Arkam came from, but the Arkam are made from precious and difficult to obtain minerals and resources such as dragon horns, minotaur ivory, griffin feathers, basilisk snakeskin pelt, etc.

[Notes]

-THIS RP WILL CONSIST MAINLY OF FIGHTING (80+%) Limited character development.
-“Combat System” in this RP is very structured and will be explained below.
-Combat is freeform, but must follow certain guidelines due to the nature of the RP.
-I will be GMing and RPing the various beasts of this RP although the RPers are highly encouraged to try their hand at RPing one of them as well.
-There will be no Magic in this RP which you can wield, although Magic does exist as a very arcane and forbidden practice performed by Mythical Beasts.

Mythical Beasts: Evil beasts formed of matter and Arkane. Various demigods and their spawn which all have legends and lore surrounding them are viewed with respect, but fear and hate as well. They are often malevolent spirits that change the course of fate against human favor and attempt to wipe their village out.

QuoteCharacter Sheet:
Name:
Weapon Specialty: Pick one: (Great Axe/Great Shield/ Chakram/Great Hammer)
Great Axe:
Great Axe
A giant (or an ogre) sized  axe, approximately 12 feet in length with an axe blade radius of approximately 6 feet.  Cut-and-gut your enemies as they rip apart before your very eyes! With 480 pounds of refined iron and adamantium, the raw power of this beast makes other beasts cower. Watch the dragon-horn axe blade roar across the battlefield as the beautifully crafted and bleached minotaur fur drapes off the grip and blade.

Great Shield:
Great Shield
A gargantuan shield, capable of protecting those who wield it from even divine smackdown.  Chillax under this roof-sized buckler shield as enemies rain down upon you. You won’t feel a thing. The shields are approximately 8 feet in length, 5 feet in width and 2 feet in height/depth. It generally weighs anywhere from 640-800 pounds/290-363 kilograms. The Great Shield is often painted a light chestnut, to look much like the papyrus of the Ark. These huge brown shields are used by those participate in both clergy and military as a symbol of their will to defend from malice.  All who wield shields are clergymen and trained soldiers and generally come from somewhat wealthier families. They are known collectively as “Defenders” or, officially, the “Defenders of her Eminence, Lune.” The shields are brown and dyed with centaur blood and crushed dragon bones. The shield itself is made of iron and mithril, and although capable of holding off virtually any attack, it’s very cumbersome to use. The dragon bone in the shield and dye impart a property of almost divine protection upon the wielder, and makes them an impenetrable fortress. The shield can also be used as a makeshift weapon and the most effective offensive tactic seems to be holding the mountain sized shield in front of you and RAMMING the enemy. The shockwave sent by having a mountain smack into you renders most enemies unconscious for a few seconds, stunning them just long enough to get a few extra hits in.

Chakram:
Chakram
By far the most nimble weapon, Chakram are for those who prefer a bit of strategy and close up combat. Chakram are the front line offense of any fight and they get CLOSE to slice-and-dice. For those skilled with this O-shaped fan with surface blades, they can quite literally mow down the competition. Chakram wielders can get in twice as many hits, although their weapons are the lightest. Adorned with Phoenix pinions, griffin pelt and red harpy feathers, the Chakram flies through the air (very slowly) like a fat Phoenix. The Phoenix feathers provide the Chakram with an Arkane blessing that makes the Chakram very aerodynamic and allows the Chakram to be thrown and it will fly, at a surprisingly fast speed at the enemy. Like a razor, the Chakram cuts through the air and flies back to the wielder, much like a boomerang.   
Fan blades are lightweight (about 250lb/113kg) and have multiple 4 foot/1.2meter long blades encrusted with adamantium. A central circular blade, 5 feet in radius keeps the Arkam together. The sharpened blades run along the spine of the center blade, which is circular. The Chakram represents the sun and its power to perpetuate life, or as the Chakram is commonly used, to take life.

Great Hammer:
Great Hammer
[/img]
The highly-religious Quarrymen and quarrywomen who wield hammers of justice. Hammerheads are generally known to be hard-working common folk who wield the massive minotaur ivory hammers as a symbol of their willingness to do labor to thrive. The mountain-shattering hammer has an 8 foot grip to the tip of the hammer. The hammer itself is an off-white ivory color and made of polymer-like blend of unicorn horn, minotaur ivory and mithril. It is adorned with kraken scales and uranium, which makes the hammer constantly glow a dim green. The single hammer head, which alone  weighs about 500 lb/181.4 kg, is 3 feet in width and 4 feet in length. Pass judgment on your enemies head and make them bow down before all that is sacred in this world. The grip, about 8 feet in length and 200lb/91kg is also made of mithril and uranium. Cyclops eyes run all along the length of the grip up to the hammer. It is said that these Cyclops eyes foresee enemy attacks and allow the rock-smashing wielder to react quicker to enemy attacks. Still not as quick as a Chakram obviously, but quicker than the other 2. You can also till soil and blacksmith with it.

Appearance: Required.
Personality: What is their military experience? Light, moderate or veteran? How do they deal in crisis situations? Are they heroic or cowardly? Are they confident or shy? Do they work best on a squad or solo?

PM me your CS or post it here.

Revenent

Well, as a Monster Hunter fan, fighting oversized monsters with absurdly oversized weapons just for the fun of it is right up my alley. I'll update this post with a character sheet as soon as I've found an image I like, but I wanted to ask, will there be an ultimate point to the combat, like a gradually developing plot, or will it just always be just for the sake of combat?

EDIT: Here we go. Let me know if there is additional detail you're looking for.

Arkelet
Name: Arkelet
Weapon Speciality: Great Hammer
Appearance:
Stands about 5'9", with lean muscle that puts him at just over 170 pounds. Youthful and lacking the body mass to use something such as the Great Shield, but can wield a Great Hammer well enough. Dresses in the same armor the rest of the Arkis do.
Personality: While he's certainly no veteran, Arkelet has served in the Arkis for close to five years now, so he knows what to expect when going into a battle. He's actually a little bitter that he has to serve in the military, as his original ambition was to use his keen mind to work as a member of the clergy, but due to a greater need for soldiers, he was pushed into service. Thankfully, hunting down and fighting Mythical Beasts is a good way to vent one's anger, so he's able to pull through without growing too resentful of life.

While not a greatly skilled fighter on his own, Arkelet can do well in a group, and he's better than most at analyzing a creature's attack patterns and weaknesses. He can then convey that information to his stronger and more skilled allies so they can move in for the kill with his backup. Beyond that, his main use in combat against larger Beasts seems to be using his hammer Arkam to stun them so that more offensive forces can finish them off.

Acid

Quote from: Revenent on April 23, 2012, 01:12:53 PM
Well, as a Monster Hunter fan, fighting oversized monsters with absurdly oversized weapons just for the fun of it is right up my alley. I'll update this post with a character sheet as soon as I've found an image I like, but I wanted to ask, will there be an ultimate point to the combat, like a gradually developing plot, or will it just always be just for the sake of combat?

EDIT: Here we go. Let me know if there is additional detail you're looking for.

Arkelet
Appearance:
Stands about 5'9", with lean muscle that puts him at just over 170 pounds. Youthful and lacking the body mass to use something such as the Great Shield, but can wield a Great Hammer well enough. Dresses in the same armor the rest of the Arkis do.
Personality: While he's certainly no veteran, Arkelet has served in the Arkis for close to five years now, so he knows what to expect when going into a battle. He's actually a little bitter that he has to serve in the military, as his original ambition was to use his keen mind to work as a member of the clergy, but due to a greater need for soldiers, he was pushed into service. Thankfully, hunting down and fighting Mythical Beasts is a good way to vent one's anger, so he's able to pull through without growing too resentful of life.

While not a greatly skilled fighter on his own, Arkelet can do well in a group, and he's better than most at analyzing a creature's attack patterns and weaknesses. He can then convey that information to his stronger and more skilled allies so they can move in for the kill with his backup. Beyond that, his main use in combat against larger Beasts seems to be using his hammer Arkam to stun them so that more offensive forces can finish them off.

Haha, yes there's a plot which will develop by fighting monsters. The plot will focus mainly on the religion of the village and the military's defense of the village. Every character will be a member of the military and will be assigned very specific assignments in regards to what to kill.

Never actually played any MH game, but I know of the series.

Latooni Subota

Heh, I was interested until I saw the lack of comically oversized bowguns. Still, gonna keep on eye on this, since it's similar to an rp I wanted to get involved with a while back.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Acid

Arkelet
Appearance:

[/quote]

More or less what I was looking for. ACCEPTED.

Quote from: Latooni Subota on April 23, 2012, 10:35:38 PM
Heh, I was interested until I saw the lack of comically oversized bowguns. Still, gonna keep on eye on this, since it's similar to an rp I wanted to get involved with a while back.

Bowguns are way too fast. Even 500 pound bowguns :P

I want about 6 people total (at least 1 of each Weapon/Arkam type covered) so 4 more spots.

Revenent

Not if you have to load a 30 or 40 pound bolt into it. :P

Latooni Subota

Haha, sounds like Revenent knows the horrors of trying to reload your bowgun early on while surrounded by Jaggi, or dealing with that annoying bird with the flint claws and the monster summoning song. XD
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Revenent

Oh, trust me, I gave up trying to get anywhere with the bowgun way early on and just went with the tried-and-true eight-foot greatsword. ;D If I ever get around to completing Tri, though, I may give it another chance, just because it's easily the most ridiculous weapon available.

But, er, yeah, this RP and stuff. I have a feeling we'll have more interested people once they actually finish reading through all of that information.

Acid

Quote from: Revenent on April 24, 2012, 03:26:29 PM
Oh, trust me, I gave up trying to get anywhere with the bowgun way early on and just went with the tried-and-true eight-foot greatsword. ;D If I ever get around to completing Tri, though, I may give it another chance, just because it's easily the most ridiculous weapon available.

But, er, yeah, this RP and stuff. I have a feeling we'll have more interested people once they actually finish reading through all of that information.

No pain, no gain.
It's meant to weed out RPers.  ;)

Revenent

I did that with a post-apocalyptic fantasy RP I had a while back. It worked, but it ended up dying anyway, unfortunately...

Acid

Such is the nature of the beast. But I'm confident that there are enough people out there who really like killing stuff in RPs and most RPs don't have enough of that.

Revenent

Acid

I might just start up the OOC if I get 2 more instead of waiting for all spots to catch up. Whoever else joins after can play catch up. 

Genbu83

Neysha

Don't wanna be that girl... and I'm sure you have your thematic reasons for the things I'm bringing up, but I was curious as to whether there is any explanation for how/why we're hefting oversized weapons. And secondly, why this island is so isolated from the rest of the world? :)
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)