Thought For the Day, the December Edition

Started by The Overlord, December 08, 2008, 06:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Overlord

Art, science, and theology are after the same goals; all three are about discovery and self-discovery.

The Overlord

Oh please...30+ views and no one else has a bit of wisdom or inspiration to share?  :-\

Avi

This is what so many people don't seem to understand.  Science, Art, and Religion don't have to be enemies, they all can add to the greater whole.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

The Overlord

Quote from: aviationrox on December 10, 2008, 12:11:44 AM
This is what so many people don't seem to understand.  Science, Art, and Religion don't have to be enemies, they all can add to the greater whole.

Something I've considered many times, but they too often find reasons to fight.  :-\

CassandraNova

Well, you did invite comment and response.  But it's just a bit of fluffy trumpeting for the idea of reconciliation and cooperation, isn't it?  I mean, when you come right down to it, science and theology are fundamentally incompatible as worldviews and methods.  The presence of art on the list doesn't make sense, as the ability of the other two to frame our understanding of metaphysical issues (ie, who were our, what we're doing here, fundamental natures) is self-evident.  Art, not so much.

Science asks questions that may never be answered.  Theology offers answers that may never be questioned.

The Overlord

'Fluffy trumpeting for the idea of reconciliation and cooperation' is not my concern or my aim here. Of the three, I take stock only in art and science because often religion is convinced it's right without question, morally and metaphysically, often making it irreconcilable with the others.

The presence of art on the list doesn't make sense if only we're talking metaphysical discovery, however I was not; I meant discovery in a more general sense. Art can urge profound discovery in its own way.

CassandraNova

Quote from: The Overlord on December 10, 2008, 08:15:37 AM
Art can urge profound discovery in its own way.

Art never expresses anything but itself, in the words of Oscar Wilde.

The Overlord

Quote from: CassandraNova on December 10, 2008, 08:33:37 AM
Art never expresses anything but itself, in the words of Oscar Wilde.

I suspect, then, that you are not an artist. And despite his impressive resume, I tend to ask if Oscar Wilde was either.

The Overlord

Thought for the Day:

Went to Medieval Times tonight, and finally realized exactly what was missing from the vast majority of my dinners to round them out- A good old-fashioned sword fight.  8)