IE 8 question.

Started by Blinkin, June 17, 2013, 02:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

I have been having some unusual (for me) links appearing on web pages in IE 8 of late.

What is happening is that random words in post, in PM's and in any sort of text on a page have become links to other pages.

As an example, in a private message today, the word "male" is a link. It can be just about any noun, and as I try hard to not click the links, they sometimes get clicked all the same... It must be a setting in IE 8, but I can't find it. Anyone know how I might remove these links so I'll stop stumbling across them and having formatting screw ups that makes it more difficult to read?

On a side note, although I suspect that this is a screen reader issue, I keep ending up in the tabs area (restore tab, the tabs, search bar and address field, etc). It's all but impossible to get back out of the tabs and back to the website, but if someone out there knows a way that doesn't involve a mouse, I would be really grateful. The "Alt+D" and F6 key strokes don't work, nor does a simple escape or attempts to tab back out of it.

Oh... and while I seem to be on the topic, anyone know a good pop-up blocker that works with IE 8 and Windows XP? I'm suddenly getting random pop-ups for all sort sof sites.

The beleagured Blinkin
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Oniya

That sounds like it might all be part and parcel of the same thing.  From your Tools Menu, select 'Internet Options' and then got to the Privacy section.  There should be a setting to turn on IE8's built-in pop-up blocker.  If that is already on, then some ad-ware might have gotten into your system and need removing, but try this first.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Blinkin

Yeah, the pop-up blocker was my first thought, but it's active... So, lets see is Microsnot Security Essencials can pick up adware...
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Oniya

You might also check the 'Add/Remove Programs' control panel for anything unusual.  Some ad-ware actually comes with uninstallers.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Blinkin

Ok, dumb question.. how do you identify adware if it IS in your add/remove programs and is there some way to detect it otherwise?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Oniya

Most programs will have a 'click for more information' link underneath them when you highlight them.  If you don't recognize a program, click that link, and it will put up a small window that has some company information.  (For example, there was one in my list that I didn't recognize - GTK something or other.  I clicked on it, and saw that it was part of GiMP, my graphics editing program.)  If that doesn't give you something identifiable, hit Google with the name of the program to find out more about it.

Blinkin

Makes sense. I'll take a look and see what I find.

I did find one, "Download terms" that made no sense. A small file that didn't seem to do anything.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Blinkin

Ok... I have..

"Searchprotect by conduit" and one that I'm not sure about called "Fastfreeconverter"

I know the first one is bad, and need advice getting rid of it. The other one "seems" to be litigimate, but it's not something that I've installed and being blind... a video converter sounds wierd.

So, how do I remove the sure threat?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Rogue

Malware Bites is my favorite to use personally. It's free. :)

Blinkin

Ok, a new problem.

I had to reset the settings in IE 8 to remove settings put in place by searchprotectbyconduit. Everything seems to work fine... except for yahoo messenger (No reason why it's effected) and chatrooms.

In the case, I'm not getting a refresh, or update after making a post into the chatroom, and it's not showing me any other post. All that I get is a "Updating" message that never seems to actually do anything.

So, anyone have any ideas on what went wrong and how to fix it? It's a minor issue, but one that irks me as I like using chatrooms.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.