What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on March 25, 2012, 05:18:38 PM
...Am I the only one who wanted Morrigan to Flemeth in the same tent? Dx

Yes.

Sabby

It's not my fault the character models make old women look not that old Dx seriously, even the healer woman didn't look too old...

Hemingway

Wynne is understandable. Flemeth, not so much. In DA2, maybe. I have no idea what happened there.

Notadrywall

I'm not sure you can apply D&D alignment to Batman, particularly given how many incarnations he's had. At the very least, I'm not sure that you can call any vigilante lawful good. 

Anyway, I just finished Assassins Creed 2. I have to say, while it definitely had some improvements, I'm going to have to go against the crowd and say I preferred the first one, maybe because I'm the one of the few people who actually thought to first had an interesting plot.

Inkidu

Well, actually it's natural.

Lawful good means someone who follows a or their societies laws to the letter. Don't assault people, don't break bone, don't hit people with objects, don't steal, cheat or lie. That kind of stuff. Societies laws.

Natural good or neutral good is when a person has their own code of conduct that doesn't comply (at least completely) with the laws of society. It's an internal code or rule they live by. Batman's are no guns, no killing.

I think they showed how gritty and real they're willing to get with Arkham City. Ultimately it's a continual failing of society not Batman that the Joker keeps getting out. Thus perpetuating the need for Batman. :)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Speaking of Dragon Age characters, I do like Hawke very much. I thought it was jarring at first, having him so ... soft-spoken. But his dry wit and sarcasm are the best.

Edit: Dungeon Siege 75% off on Steam? Damn! First I picked up Shogun 2 at a greatly reduced price, then some DXHR DLC ( I've been meaning to play it again, might as well get cheap DLC! ), then Dungeon Siege 3 + DLC. All this for, what, the price of one full game? No, less. Like half the price of a newly released game. I love Steam.

Brandon

Quote from: Notadrywall on March 25, 2012, 06:59:15 PM
I'm not sure you can apply D&D alignment to Batman, particularly given how many incarnations he's had. At the very least, I'm not sure that you can call any vigilante lawful good. 

Anyway, I just finished Assassins Creed 2. I have to say, while it definitely had some improvements, I'm going to have to go against the crowd and say I preferred the first one, maybe because I'm the one of the few people who actually thought to first had an interesting plot.

Actually the part that makes batman lawful is his own code with how he operates. He will absolutely never break that code, no matter how much he wants to. The lawful part of alignments does not necessarily mean they follow societies laws although it could mean that. More often lawful characters follow their own code where there are clear things they will do or dont do.

Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Wolfy

And yet Batman gets pushed so close to breaking that code every time he faces the Joker.

In fact, in one story, Batman actually resuscitates the Joker after..I believe Nightwing nearly kills him, just so that he (nightwing or whoever it was) won't have blood on their hands.

Inkidu

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JokerImmunity

Also, it has a lot to do with this. It's a trope!  ^__^
It's got less to do with Batman's ineffectiveness, and more to do with the Joker's popularity.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

rhev

Just finished Mass Effect 3.  UGH such a bad ending.

Sabby

rhev

New to the thread?  No, go back several dozen pages.
New to Mass Effect 3 discussion?  Yes,  I avoid any spoiler type stuff.   It was damn near impossible with ME3, but I managed it till I finished.

Geeklet

Quote from: rhev on March 26, 2012, 04:37:45 PM
Just finished Mass Effect 3.  UGH such a bad ending.

Its not bad, just misunderstood.

Hemingway

Quote from: Geeklet on March 26, 2012, 04:56:33 PM
Its not bad, just misunderstood.

Only if the official definition of the word 'misunderstood' was changed to mean 'riddled with plot holes and bad explanations' or 'blatant violation of all the laws, rules and guidelines of writing'. Only if you think Stephen King's endings are the best ever. Only if you think 'protagonist dies' immediately implies 'heroic sacrifice'.

In other words, it's bad. It's really bad. It's bad in the ways I mentioned above, it's bad in the way that Casey Hudson promised the ending wouldn't be like that, it's bad in every meaning of the word 'bad'. If words mean anything at all.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 26, 2012, 05:06:05 PM
Only if the official definition of the word 'misunderstood' was changed to mean 'riddled with plot holes and bad explanations' or 'blatant violation of all the laws, rules and guidelines of writing'. Only if you think Stephen King's endings are the best ever. Only if you think 'protagonist dies' immediately implies 'heroic sacrifice'.

In other words, it's bad. It's really bad. It's bad in the ways I mentioned above, it's bad in the way that Casey Hudson promised the ending wouldn't be like that, it's bad in every meaning of the word 'bad'. If words mean anything at all.
It's bad, but it's hardly worth the crap the internet has put up.  -_-

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on March 26, 2012, 05:26:37 PM
It's bad, but it's hardly worth the crap the internet has put up.  -_-

Mac Walters needs to have his license to write revoked. David Gaider can keep writing Dragon Age, but he should stick with games. His novels are atrocious. Drew Karpyshyn is, apparently, the only one of the lot who can actually write worth a damn - and now he's gone!

And someone needs to watch Casey Hudson!

Anyway. I've started playing Dungeon Siege 3. It's looking, uh ... I haven't played very far yet. I have played far enough to know these might be the worst controls I've ever experienced, though. And that's after they improved it!

Edit: I know that voice! I know it! Beneath that Russian accent is ... dammit, who is that ... ahh, some NCR guy, I'm sure of it!

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 26, 2012, 05:44:18 PM
Mac Walters needs to have his license to write revoked. David Gaider can keep writing Dragon Age, but he should stick with games. His novels are atrocious. Drew Karpyshyn is, apparently, the only one of the lot who can actually write worth a damn - and now he's gone!

And someone needs to watch Casey Hudson!

Anyway. I've started playing Dungeon Siege 3. It's looking, uh ... I haven't played very far yet. I have played far enough to know these might be the worst controls I've ever experienced, though. And that's after they improved it!

Edit: I know that voice! I know it! Beneath that Russian accent is ... dammit, who is that ... ahh, some NCR guy, I'm sure of it!
Look if you needed a license to write then Sturgeon's Law wouldn't exist.

Sabby

I'm just loving all this bile you guys are spewing x3 It's a nice change of pace to be the calmest one here.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on March 26, 2012, 06:01:47 PM
I'm just loving all this bile you guys are spewing x3 It's a nice change of pace to be the calmest one here.
Bile? I gave that up by day two. I'm happy committing the heresy of thinking that the Mass Effect 3 ending is fitting, bad, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

You know what, in fact, I'm just going to go join you over there with the lawn chair and popcorn, Sabby.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on March 26, 2012, 05:57:46 PM
Look if you needed a license to write then Sturgeon's Law wouldn't exist.

What an awful world we'd live in then.

Notadrywall

I must say, since ME3 came out, it's been great fun to have not been a Mass Effect fan to start with.

summoner2183

I am playing most mini games in facebook actually, as well as a few casual games that I purchased from Big Fish Games.

Sabby

Returning to my usual posting habits, giving Darksiders a replay, and the combat is a bit better then I remember... but only because I invested in the Scythe, which just makes the Chaoseater seem even shittier, since it has actual reach and most of it's attacks stun and lift enemies in a 360 degree area around you. But that doesn't fix the combats most annoying problem. The fucking dodging.

It's not enough that it's a very short movement that barely takes you out of attack range, but it's imprecise and worse of it, it leaves you stationary after you use it. So more often then not, your guna lurch a few feet to the side, probably not in the direction you wanted to, and most likely right into the middle of the enemy group, skid to a halt, and just stand there like an idiot for a second.

And considering most of the bigger enemies have wide attacks that they can spam at you while also chasing you, blocking is about the only viable option, and half the attacks can't be blocked. So even if you have plenty of room, no objects to get snagged on, and perform a perfect backwards dodge  at the last second of the attack, you may still get hit anyway.

If they fix this shit and give the enemies a health bar measured in inches rather then miles, I'll be all the fuck over Darksiders 2 <3

Hemingway

I'm getting Darksiders 2 just for the tagline: Death Lives.

Hmm. Chaoseater does become considerably more powerful when you get that ... War's Glory, the legendary enhancement.

But, yeah. I gave Darksiders another go after playing Dark Souls for a while. Combat in Dark Souls is perfect, more or less, in that you feel like you're in total control, and it takes skill more than luck. And with enough skill you could go through the entire game without getting hit even once - theoretically. In Darksiders, I always feel like getting hit, at least by certain enemies, is inevitable.

Edit: Wait, what...? I was not aware Strife and Fury were the names given to the last two Horsemen. Why would they do that? What was wrong with Conquest ( or Pestilence ) and Famine?

I also have to ask, am I the only one who looks at Death and thinks, "Raziel?"

Inkidu

Yeah, I gave up on Dark Souls, it might have "perfect" combat, but that doesn't mean anything when large portions of the game are laggy, and I hit several bugs before I quit. That and some pretty cheap and opportunistic boss fights hit home the last nail on that. I'm not going to call it a bad game, but it hardly lived up to my expectations (of which there were was one. Hard but fair). I wish I could call it the worst game I played in 2011, but that still belongs to Cathrine. It probably would have made worse though (which would have been a testament to what a great year that was, if not for Cathrine).