Last Post Link?

Started by desert ashes, August 01, 2017, 02:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desert ashes

I've been wanting and trying to utilize the #lastpost part of links to better organize lists and personal links, but I seem to have stumbled upon a potential (user) error.  It seems to work on threads that haven't moved past the first page, but if they have it only goes to the last post on the first page as opposed to the very last post of the thread. 

I've also noticed when going through my bookmarks, when I hit the "Last Post" option it doesn't appear to show correctly in the web address bar, instead showing as #new. 

Any insights? 

Thanks!
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

Vekseid

If you want to link to a specific post, you should always link to the one in that post's title.

E.g.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=272187.msg13391249#msg13391249

#new takes you to the first message that you haven't read. #lastpost can only work if you know the page you are linking to, because # anchors are checked for inside the page itself.

Geraint

Or, if it is for your own personal use, you can change your forum profile to display last post first.  In that case, clicking on the thread link itself will automatically bring you to the last post, since the posts will be listed in reverse order.  That's what I find most useful for my own purposes.

desert ashes

Quote from: Vekseid on August 01, 2017, 08:38:51 PM
If you want to link to a specific post, you should always link to the one in that post's title.

E.g.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=272187.msg13391249#msg13391249

#new takes you to the first message that you haven't read. #lastpost can only work if you know the page you are linking to, because # anchors are checked for inside the page itself.

Okay, so I was essentially trying to do something I can't.  Bugger! 

Thanks for the response. :)

Quote from: Geraint on August 01, 2017, 10:19:14 PM
Or, if it is for your own personal use, you can change your forum profile to display last post first.  In that case, clicking on the thread link itself will automatically bring you to the last post, since the posts will be listed in reverse order.  That's what I find most useful for my own purposes.

Something to try!  Mostly this was to be used for when I need to access the last post for replies and wanted to skip the steps of clicking on the last page and then scrolling to wherever the last post is, going off a list in a singular post rather than scrolling through bookmarks.
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

Geraint

Quote from: Moirae on August 02, 2017, 07:17:41 AM
Something to try!  Mostly this was to be used for when I need to access the last post for replies and wanted to skip the steps of clicking on the last page and then scrolling to wherever the last post is, going off a list in a singular post rather than scrolling through bookmarks.
I have it set that way all the time, and answer all of my posts and PMs that way, as it's a lot quicker.  The only drawback is you may need to scroll down to see the next to the last post, in case you missed anything in notification.  That happens to me occasionally on threads where I am playing opposite more than one character, and a bit more frequently when I get multiple answers to the same PM.  To me though, both are relatively minor annoyances, and I can always find the start of the thread easily if I need to  (which is rarely)