News:

Main Menu

Teal'c or Ronon?

Started by Sabby, July 06, 2010, 08:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Stargate SG-1's most memorable and arguably most liked character was Teal'c, a Royal Guard of sort for the evil faction, a part of an order who incubates a young parasite in their stomach, which makes them stronger then an ordinary human, and helps the parasite grow, until it is old enough to take a host of it's own. Teal'c fought against his own kind and was marked a Jafar, a traitor, but fights to free not only his own kind, but all humanity from Gould oppression.

Is incredibly skilled with a staff weapon, has little use for words mostly, and does with his eyebrow what Caruso does with glasses.

Ronon fought against the Wraith in a losing war, watching his entire home destroyed, and when he was captured, he was not fed upon, but implanted with a tracking device and released as sport for the Wraith. For years he ran from planet to planet, constantly hunted, killing every Wraith that came for him. He was infamous as a Runner, to the point of Urban Legend.

Captured the Atlantis team, but eventually sided with them. Took the implant removal without sedatives, despite the fact it was very close to his spine. Prefers to fight with two sticks, but is an incredible melee fighter.

The similarities between these two are impossible to ignore. Some would call Ronon a Teal'c knock-off, but personally, I love Ronon.

DudelRok

At first I was thinking to myself, "Who's Ronon?" Then I saw the image and went "Ooooh, that crazy ape-like guy from Atlantis. He was fkn' crazy! Wait, you want me to compare him with Teal'c, are you mad?"

I pondered for a little while why I couldn't really pick between them but I think your line is probably the easiest and more rational.

QuoteThe similarities between these two are impossible to ignore. Some would call Ronon a Teal'c knock-off, but personally, I love Ronon.

One could then assume "Teal'c is better" except for the fact that Ronon is actually faster, stronger and has a deeper more likable persona.

...so we're tied again.

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

Sabby

There was an episode where Ronon and Teal'c met up. When they began sparring, it was so aggressive that people started placing bets. After an hour without breaks, Samantha Carter had to call it a tie.

Aviva

I personally am  Teal'c girl. I have only watched a few episodes of Atlantis and I could never just quite get the grasp of Ronan so I go with Teal'c.
Back from a very long break.

On and Offs

Story Ideas

Xanatos

Teal'c was the first Prime to Apophis; his second in command, and his race called Jafa; incubating an infant Goa’uld (race of Apophis).

As for who was best, can't say lol. Its obvious both are similar down to almost everything, though personalities were different enough not to be identical. Ronan was a badass, Teal'c was not; Teal'c was simply a great warrior who showed honor, while Ronan was good but was basically a silent not so arrogant cocky warrior. Both are cool but stereotypical; cool nevertheless.

I liked them both, because both of their different qualities suited the show. SG-1 was more a by the book, mostly anyways, way of doing things. Atlantis was always do it anyway it can be done, with only begrudging regard to the rules; though its obvious SG-1 broke the rules plenty of times.

Basically each character suited the atmosphere of the show they were in and by enlarge the team which they joined. Since I have a large range of tastes in character types, its hard for me to choose which one I like, as they both bring something to the table which is likable.

Chevalier des Poissons

QuoteTeal'c fought against his own kind and was marked a Jafar, a traitor

Actually Jaffa is his race. A traitor is called a Shol'va.
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Samael

I found Ronon to be actually pretty annoying.
Must have been the actor... Just couldn't stand his performance.

Teal'c all the way.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

King_Furby

They were about even fighting skill wise, but now Teal'c is having his age catch up with him asthe latest movie. I think Ronon would beat him now. but personally i think ronon was a better built character.

Jacson and mckay are my favs.

Paladin

Actually guys. Ronen and Tal'c once fought in one of the episodes. They are evenly matched. I won't be picking though. I prefer O'niel and Shepard.

Soran

Quote from: Samael on July 08, 2010, 01:45:01 AM
I found Ronon to be actually pretty annoying.
Must have been the actor... Just couldn't stand his performance.

Teal'c all the way.
+1 Teal'c's the dude!

King_Furby

Quote from: Paladin on July 08, 2010, 02:40:04 PM
Actually guys. Ronen and Tal'c once fought in one of the episodes. They are evenly matched. I won't be picking though. I prefer O'niel and Shepard.

yes we know but were is the key there. as of current time line i highly doubt Teal'c could beat or match Ronen now

Xanatos

You all forget Master Bra'tac (however you spell his name), was much, much, MUCH, older than Teal'c and could still kick Teal'cs ass. Teal'c could be over one hundred and still be equal or better than Ronon; since time in on Teal'cs side he eventually would just get so much better than Ronon. It would be like comparing a real world grand martial artist against a young top ranked black belt or w/e; who would win? The 80-90 year old grand master EVERY time, hands down, no questions asked. This grand master also is hunched, no musculature (generally anyways), and in every way the physical inferior and yet still whoops the younger stronger more physically fit opponent. Experience and skill count more than youth and physical might.

King_Furby

You forget just how frail he was in the latest sg-1 film, Teal'c has not aged as well as Bra'tec did. Age and mastery does not always mean you will win. Teal'c has not retained his strength like Bra'tec did. Teal'c also never trained as hard as Ronon did. Ronon was a runner and though Teal'c was first prime it hardly compairs. Teal'c was never under such heavy threat.

Sabby

Yeah, First Prime sounds kind of cushy compared to Ronon's Running days :/

Xanatos

Cushy? Apparently, Tyrannizing entire Star Systems, leading Apophis's armies into battle on countless occasions, constant training under Apophis/Bra'tac and while with the SG-program, then you have to count the 10 seasons he fought against the countless enemies that SG-1 encountered, counts as cushy? Ronnon, aside from the single war against the Wraith which would not have been a long war, has little war time experience compared to Teal'c, and his few short years as a runner hardly gives him an edge in any shape or form.

I have seen the movies, and I do not recall him being frail at all. He aged, yes, but he did not lose his edge.

nonniemouse

Teal'c all the way!  Every piece of dialogue from him is a gem!  Heck, even his nondialogue was just as awesome, and that's not really something I can say about many characters on TV.  I always thought Ronon was, as you said, a bit of a knock off  : /   Never really cared as much for his background and I don't think we ever got much out of his back story (not that I cared too much).  Teal'c really pulls off the quiet tough guy thing because he's got this almost zen wisdom behind him... Ronon just comes off as... brooding.

Actually, to derail a bit, I felt the Atlantis cast was a bit weak (esp after two of the main cast left).  Although McKay sort of carried the show for me.  I loathed him at first (in SG1 and in the very beginning of Atlantis) but his quirky personality kinda grows on you and before you know it, you're laughing at him as much as you're laughing with him!  He's one of the few characters that I've hated at some point but grown to love.
"Plunging into the guts of a large animal isn't anything at all like eating.  It's about the feeling, you see, it's sensual--"
"So, it's less like eating, and more like sex."

Oniya

On the topic of Teal'c's non-dialogue, some of the scenes in the 'time loop' episode were just classic.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

King_Furby

Teal'c was funny at times and i liked that about him, like the scene with the vibrating bed. Ronon can't pull humor at all.

Sabby

I admit, his 'science doesn't make sense to me' routine gets a little old... but pretty much everything about him clicks with me in a way Teal'c doesn't. I love his backstory, even if there's not much to it, I love his fighting, his appearance, and even in saying some of his dialogue gets a bit old, I still like his personality more. The guy is an animal! Everything about him is feral and wild.

Oniya

I think it's almost like the difference between Spock and Worf.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

King_Furby

Worf would pawn both Teal'c and Ronon.

Oniya

Well, yes, but I was referring more to the dichotomy between the coolly logical (but can still kick butt when it comes to that) Teal'c and the brutal, almost savage (but still hot with that excessive testosterone thing) Ronon.

King_Furby

Ronon had the best blaster.

Xanatos

Despite my defending of Teal'c, I love em both and its simply inescapable that both brought something that everyone can like. Ronon was man meat for the ladies -laughs-. His gun was awesome, I loved it, the sound, the red energy burst, (although it looked suspiciously a lot like a six shooter from the old west.) otherwise yeah, Ronon was cool.

As for Teal'c, his silence was undoubtedly a key aspect to him. The above mentioned vibrating bed scene was great; I loved how he kept putting money into it just so he could lay there with it going on and on. I also liked the episode where he was infected with this dragonfly like bug and found himself in an abandoned building and was found by a homeless or something, young girl who took a liking to him. If memory serves me correct, he later would show up (after being saved from the bug) with an assortment of nerf or water guns to play with the girl.

Sabby

Yeah, the poor kid had a pretty bad quality water gun and then Teal'c shows up with a top of the line Super Soaker and tells him it's a new weapon with 'increased range and firepower' and when the kid runs off to play with it, Teal'c pumps his own and gives chase.

Moments like that remind me a lot of Sten from Dragon Age finding out that he loves cookies (and would see his insanely fascist homeland integrate them into the cuisine)

Though Sten could easily pass for a grumpy Teal'c.

I remember there was an episode of Atlantis where Ronon got chipped again and dropped on his wrecked homeworld to be hunted. I guess the director had a Matrix style camera system for a short time, because it made pretty frequent use of it... That I can forgive. Him barrel rolling over cover, and having everything pause and pan around to show the lasers whizzing past his dreads was neat... the first time. But they used it in every shot, and then even added a scene with him walking slowly away from an explosion.

Awesome episode, but a bit shameless in it's old skool direction.