Beyond Two Souls [Spoiler tags please!]

Started by Inari, October 11, 2013, 07:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suiko

Quote from: Sabby on November 12, 2013, 07:28:53 AM
This Assassins Creed timeline on shuffle mode is really pissing me off. There are actually some good scenes in this game. Seriously, there was a moment just now where I really got into it, and felt very sad for Jodie. Problem is, the events leading up to that moment hadn't happened yet, so I had no idea why it was happening, because they feel the need to tell the story in seemingly random chunks.

Think of that sad scene from Titanic where they're floating on a piece of wood and the girl has to let him go and watch his frozen corpse sink away, but you haven't got to see the boat yet. Next you see some of the girls school life, then her young childhood, and THEN you see her board the Titanic, then back to her school days again.
This really bothers me too ><
I could get behind the odd flashback during a constant narrative but it just feels all over the place.
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

- Current Status: Did someone say Dragon's Dogma 2? -

Chris Brady

Quote from: Koren on November 08, 2013, 09:20:53 AM
A game can still be horrible, even if it has a few awesome parts, i just hate when people say that the awesome parts don't matter because of the rest of it.
I'm going to comment on this, as B2S as well as other games, like Mass Effect 3.  To me, it's based on the 'flow' of storytelling.  And I don't mean a linear progression, some stories break it up and break it up well, but that's not the point.

A story, for me, has to be cohesive, coherent and needs to be consistent.  You just can't throw a twist in that no one saw coming without leading small hints.  Put them in, even if they're hard to see, but make sure there's a hint of what's to come.  But that's tangential to my main point.

My main point is that there has to be more 'awesome' than 'crap' for me to forgive a story.  And sometimes, that ONE thing, can and has destroyed an entire game.  The ME3 ending for example.  For me, it was like my favourite pizza, but ONE slice has a turd on it.  Pretty disgusting, really.  But it's only that one slice.  At the same time, do you really want to eat that?

B2S doesn't have that.  A lot of it is nonsensical and badly written, despite the amazing performances by Ms. Page and Mr. Defoe, and I can't get past those bad scenes.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Sabby

The story seems to get worse and worse...

So, they want to drive home that Jodie can't be around people because ghost powers? Okay, so how do they go about this? Make Aiden uncontrollable?

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
NOPE! Just have every human being she come into contact with either call her a witch or try and gang rape her. Then OH NO, she defended herself with ghost magic! This is why you can't leave the ghost facility Jodie, because truckers try and rape you for being a witchslut before they know you have the ghost magic.

This isn't just bad writing, this is creepy.

Vanity Evolved

It's rather disturbing - considering just how much David Cage focused on Ellen Paige during production. But yes, it stinks of some damn unfortunate implications. I've seen several parts of it now, and in about an hour and a half, I think there's been about three attempted rapes on her?

And this 'witch' thing is really beginning to bug me. Not only with how randomly it comes out (She has magic powers! so cool, very occult. Oh wait, no, now we hates her. Witch! Slut!), but considering the time it's written in setting, it feels -fake as fuck- that a boy falls over in a snowball fight, and the first reaction is 'She's a fucking witch, with her dark magics! Stone her!'

Ninety percent of the interactions in this game are forced as fuck. The few scenes which have any sort of emotional impact are lost amongst the 'is it before, after or during her escape/training/whatever?'

Chris Brady

Wasn't this a reoccurring thing in Heavy Rain too?  I never finished the game, but I heard something about the woman being attacked several times?

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Vanity Evolved

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 21, 2013, 09:54:59 AM
Wasn't this a reoccurring thing in Heavy Rain too?  I never finished the game, but I heard something about the woman being attacked several times?

Not -as- much, I don't recall. There's one vaguely rape-y scene where some robbers break into her house and try to kill her, but no-where near as straight to the point and obviously 'I'm gonna stick mah dick in ya!' than Ellen's experiences.

Chris Brady

I seem to recall Madison (think that was her name) having almost two instances, but I could be wrong.  Still the fact that Mr. Cage has done it in at least more than one game...

Sabby

The best way to make a strong female character is to have her fight rape.

Chris Brady

* Chris Brady froths at the mouth, ready to rage, realizes Sabby's being facetious.

Sabby

Jayna

Well, I am in the minority here.

I loved it.
But I loved Heavy Rain as well.

I think this style game is really unique and while the randomness of the storytelling did throw me off, I still felt emotionally tied to a lot of the characters and enjoyed how my choices played out.

All and all I thought it was a pleasant, well done experience.

Chris Brady

No, Jayna, you're not a minority.  In fact, looking around, I'd say you're the majority.

Jayna

Well good then! :)

I do fully believe the game takes a certain taste though.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Jayna on December 22, 2013, 01:48:25 AM
Well good then! :)

I do fully believe the game takes a certain taste though.
Personal Opinion:  If by taste you mean no regard for story, pacing and characters.  :P

The issue for me, is that everyone seems (important word) to be blinded by the star power and are not seeing the issues with the story.  This is not a game, this is an animated choose your own adventure novel, which is a wonderful idea, if it weren't so sloppy.

As Vanity Evolved put it, there isn't actual cohesive story telling, it's just linked set piece to set piece, with little to no care about how they fit.  And every gamer who buys this, is rewarding this.

Jayna

It's just a matter of separate opinions. I liked The story. I thought how they did it was unique, confusing at first but I was able to appreciate it.
Story is the main thing I focus on in any game. At times probably the only thing I care about.

Also you have to talk about the star power. Ellen page and William Dafoe were both fantastic.
Not talking about it is like not talking about SWTOR having voice actors
Or commenting on Mark Hammel as the Joker.
It's part of it

Chris Brady

The issue for me is that yes, they ARE fantastic.  Everything else was horrible in contrast, which made the bad stand out.  And I'm not entirely sure Mr. Cage knew what he was aiming for as the 'story' such as it was, meandered badly all over the sci-fi spectrum.

And what is with that guy and pointless shower scenes?

Koren

QuoteThe issue for me, is that everyone seems (important word) to be blinded by the star power and are not seeing the issues with the story.  This is not a game, this is an animated choose your own adventure novel, which is a wonderful idea, if it weren't so sloppy.

Im sorry, one thing keeps bugging me in this thread in general, not pointing fingers so appologies if it comes off that way

Okay so then if this is an animated movie, what do you call 'Ryse' which you can put the controller down and do nothing and game plays itself, while with this if you arent actively involved in it nothing happens?

By technical definition this is a game. It may not be the sort of game where you can control every little action and detail, and it make not have all of the functionality of other AAA games where you have a plethora of mechanics to pick from, but this is a game. It may not fit into your standard genres, and im quite happy if everyone wants to say its a game in the genre of 'limited interactivity', or 'interactive experiance' or 'plot focused' (not saying plot is good or bad, just saying that was the focus, regardless of outcome) but no matter what it fits the technical definition of a game as defined by industry, game theory from twenty years ago even, and everything ive read on how to define what is a video game in the strictest sense.
I understand that 'video game' has some connotations to it, and ive said myself its not the way video games are commonly perceived and it does fit more into interactive experiance then the common social perceptions of a video game, but it is a game. what is a 'video game' is by no means 100% defined and set in stone as to its strict meaning,

Sorry if I sound snappy, im quite happy if people love or hate this game or anything in between, Ive stated my opinion, that while I found it enjoyable I understand it had a lot of flaws, but can we please stop using the dislike for the focused mechanics to try and redefine words and meaning, and ive mentioned this before and got no reply, and wanted to have an honest discussion on this point.

Sabby

Quote from: Koren on December 28, 2013, 06:50:17 AM
Okay so then if this is an animated movie, what do you call 'Ryse' which you can put the controller down and do nothing and game plays itself, while with this if you arent actively involved in it nothing happens?

Um... Ryse doesn't play itself. You actually need to navigate and attack. It's light gameplay, but it's certainly not a cutscene with the occasional button prompt.

Chris Brady

Actually, the only thing Ryse automates are the finishing moves that YOU need to trigger.  If you do the button prompts within the finishers, you get extra bennies out of it, if you don't they enemies still get finished.  But the rest of the game, you actually have to play.  You have to swing your sword, or smash with your shield.  (Which, in MY opinion, more fantasy games needs to treat the shield as what it really was, a defensive WEAPON, not a lump of metal and/or wood that just hangs on your left arm.)

Beyond Two Souls and it's predecessor Heavy Rain doesn't even have that.