[Interest Check] Survival-Horror Game (likely to be extreme)

Started by TheHangedOne, December 06, 2013, 09:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHangedOne

Hey all. It's been well over a year since I ran a game, and that didn't go over all that well. But, I feel I've gotten better over all, so I want to try my hand at it again.

For now, I will start with an interest check, to see if there are people interested. Ideally, it would be 4-6 players.

The setting is the Spring of 2014. The location is a quaint,  vast stretch of land, full of camping grounds.  The characters will be hikers, campers, nature enthusiasts, etc. There will be no magic or fantasy elements, except for some supernatural elements which will serve as an antagonist(s) for the story.

Some brief bullet points:
*Inventory management will factor into the game.
*Starting 'equipment' for characters will be limited to a list (I will type this up later on, if interest is shown) of typical camping supplies.
*Surviving will be an emphasis. Characters will need to eat, drink, avoid exposure, and generally handle the day-to-day needs that come with relatively intense physical activity.
*Horror will be an emphasis.
*Characters have realistically limited capabilities. These aren't true heroes or the stuff of legends; they aren't adventurers; these are fairly ordinary people subjected to amazingly harsh and hostile situations.
*Character death is a distinct possibility. I will generally try to avoid killing characters; that is rarely fun, though it can certainly add dramatic tension to the story. In general, I am pretty lenient with this; but if your character does something stupid, like trying to make an unassisted 20 foot jump across a ravine, they're going to go 'splat' at the bottom.
*Each character will have one special skill, picked from a list (Will type it up later on, if interest is shown). This skill will help them in surviving, and will be related to wilderness survival. You'll need to work into your characters bio how they came to possess the skill; for instance, someone good at hunting might have gone on hunting trips with their father when they were young.
*There will be a simple dice rolling element.  Depending on preference of players, I may just handle all the rolls.

Regarding sex: Have at it, if you want. People deal with stress in different ways, and fucking is one of them.  In general, though, sex is not likely to be a major focus of the story. I will also say, having sex in unsafe locations could count as a stupid thing that gets a character killed.

Regarding posting rates: 1 or 2 posts a week will be a minimum. Posting order will be established, at times.  Aim for at least 2 full paragraphs for posting size.

Any questions, thoughts, ideas, concerns? Let me hear them.  :-)

So, for character sheets:

[float=left]Picture url here[/float]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender & Sexuality:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Brief History:[/b]
[b]Special Skill:[/b]
[b]Equipment:[/b]
[list]
[li] Items
[li] Go
[li] In
[li] These
[li] Spaces
[li]
[li]
[li]
[li]
[li]
[/list]

There are ten inventory slots, but characters will be limited to selecting five items of Equipment.
equipment

*Backpack: A hiking backpack. This is actually a freebie; all characters have one.
*Tent: Standard tent for recreational camping. Provides shelter from the elements. Stakes, ground tarps, and other applicable things come bundled with this item. If you don't pick this, then you are using one of the camps Adirondack shelters.
Sleeping bag: Something to keep you warm and comfortable when sleeping. Remember, it's spring, but the nights get chilly.
Flashlight: Standard hand-held flashlight with batteries.
Fire-maker: This can  be a lighter, magnesium stick and striker, flint and steel, waterproof matches; pretty much, whatever you want. Make a note of what it is.
Emergency Glowsticks: A pack of five emergency glowsticks. These are larger than normal, being about 10 inches in length, are nearly twice as bright as usual glowsticks, and they last for eight hours. Variety of colors possible. Each one has 12 inches of string attached to it, so they can be suspended from fixtures.
Camp tools: Small handsaw, small hammer, scissors, and Swiss army knife, all in a little kit that can be carried by hand or stowed in a backpack.
Camp Cooking Gear: A small, single burner, fueled by butane. Comes with a full, small canister of butane. Plus, a small pot and pan, aluminum field bowl, plate, and cutlery; all the tools needed to make and enjoy a meal.
Food: A mixture of canned goods, dried goods (such as jerky and trail mix, dehydrated vegetables, flour, etc), powdered drink mixes, coffee and/or tea, cooking oil, etc. Basically it's your choice of raw ingredients that would complement the Camp Cooking Gear, or pre-packaged and ready to eat food (MREs could be counted, too), or some mixture of the two. No matter what it is, it's enough food for a single person for three days.
Toiletries: Deodorant, natural soap, shampoo, conditioner, toilet paper, brush and comb, tooth paste, tooth brush. Small, travel sized.  The camp does have showers and restrooms, for those that don't want to give up that creature comfort of the civilized world.
Laundry: Sets of clean clothing, and towels.
Water Filtration System: Some people will bring along bottled water; others may wish to find some clean water sources (but boil it first). But, for those who don't have the time to boil water, and don't have bottled, they will need to rely on  something such as a Lifestraw, or other system for purifying water. Drinking water straight, even from natural springs, is a good way to get sick.
Entertainment: Walkman, iPod, portable gaming system; or maybe something more traditional, like books. whatever fits your tastes. The camp does have a place for recharging.
Survival Books: Books specifically detailing flora and fauna. If you want to forage but aren't skilled at it, this may be a handy item. Consulting will take time, but helps reduce the danger.
First Aid Kit: A 45 piece first aid kit.

All characters possess one special skill that will help them, and maybe even the others, survive.
Skills

First Aid: You are likely a lifeguard, first responder, EMT, or have otherwise had some sort of official training. You are not only good at treating and diagnosing injuries, but you are great at improvising slings, bandages, etc.. You always diagnose injuries easily, and know the exact proper treatment.
Forager: Perhaps you've read the books dozens of times, or were an avid camper, or even a survivalist of some sort. Regardless, you intuitively and thoroughly know what berries are edible, and which will make you ill, what mushrooms can be consumed safely, and which are poisonous, and other such things. You don't need guides to forage safely. Furthermore, you will always be successful at foraging attempts, as you also know where forage-able foods grow readily.
Shelterer: You know how to construct shelters of all sorts, whether it's with gear (like tents and tarps), or with purely natural materials. Improvised shelters are always sturdy, and built in record time.  If you choose this, and no tent, and want to opt out of an Adirondack shelter, you can have constructed your own natural shelter. You can also camouflage shelters into their surroundings, offering a significant source of safety.
Navigator: You know that moss grows on all sides of rocks and trees, not only on the north side; that's just bullshit. You know fact from fiction, and you can easily find true north through other means. You know how to travel by the stars, and instinctively make note of landmarks. You have a thorough knowledge of the trails of this park. You're not the kind of person that gets lost, typically.
Mentally Prepared: The mind and its processes are critical to survival. The will to live in a life and death situation often separates those that live and those that do not. Stories of heroic feats of survival by regular people with little or no training, but a strong will to live, are not uncommon. You possess this power. You are also not prone to panic, and your mind is resilient against outside influences.
Hunter/Fisher: Whether it's with a rifle, a bow and arrow, fishing line, or snares and traps, you know how to take down animals. Not only does this provide you with a way of gathering food that is relatively safe, but knowledge of trapping can come in handy in more ways than one.
Highly Perceptive: Your eyes are keen and sharp, as is your hearing, and sense of smell and taste. You are usually not distracted, and able to process lots of information from your surroundings easily. You are not likely to miss important details.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Chreestafer

Hey THM! I'm interested, however is this a systems game or freeform?
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Chreestafer

“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

PhantomPistoleer

So, what's the supernatural element that everyone is avoiding?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

TheHangedOne

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on December 07, 2013, 01:15:23 AM
So, what's the supernatural element that everyone is avoiding?
Cryptozoological monsters.  I don't want to say too much, though, at least initially.
Check out my poet tree!

Prosak

Survival? Check.

Horror? Check

Cryptozooological monster's.....? I guess check.

Tight inventory management which plays to my gaming OCD? Yeah, check!

Ok, interested. :)

Dashenka

Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

TheHangedOne

Cool. That's four, so, later on, I'll get up a character sheet, and those lists I mentioned.
Check out my poet tree!

TheHangedOne

Double posting, but: I have the character sheet up, and equipment up as well. Skills will be within the next hour. If anybody feels like I've missed something, or would like an off-the-list item/skill, feel free to talk to me about it, and we'll see what can be done.
Check out my poet tree!

Dashenka

What kind of land is it? Green lush hills? Barren wasteland? Tundra? Will it just be our characters or will there be other people with us? Is there a goal our characters have to achieve?

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Dashenka on December 07, 2013, 12:39:05 PM
What kind of land is it? Green lush hills? Barren wasteland? Tundra? Will it just be our characters or will there be other people with us? Is there a goal our characters have to achieve?
Green, hilled forest, with a web of small and large streams, ponds, and a lake. The days will be moderately hot, and the nights cool or chilly. There will be NPC campers, hikers, and park rangers.  The goal will be to escape the campgrounds alive.

I should also say, for the first in-game day, nothing will seem wrong. The first night is when the shit will hit the fan.
Check out my poet tree!

Chreestafer

What are the age groups your looking for? Is this a camp for like highschoolers or are we college kids? Adults?
Ons and Offs
F-List

TheHangedOne

Well, I would like the ages to be above 18, just to make sure we don't go poking and prodding at any of the E rules. This is a not a summer camp, though; it's a national park with camping areas.
Check out my poet tree!

Chreestafer

Ok :) just curious on making my character fit the game.  Why are they camping again?  Just friends in the woods?
Ons and Offs
F-List

Dashenka

Quote from: TheHangedMan on December 07, 2013, 12:59:02 PM

I should also say, for the first in-game day, nothing will seem wrong. The first night is when the shit will hit the fan.

Ooh surprises... I like them :D

But as the gentleman without the belt asked, what is the relationship between our characters, if there is one? A group of friends seems easiest.

Chreestafer

Quote from: Dashenka on December 07, 2013, 01:45:27 PM

But as the gentleman without the belt asked, what is the relationship between our characters, if there is one? A group of friends seems easiest.

Yes the belted man has man great questions! Oh wait... that's me :)
Ons and Offs
F-List

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Dashenka on December 07, 2013, 01:45:27 PM

I was going to leave that up to individual players to work out amongst themselves. You're right, though, a group of friends does seem the easiest to get it to work.

Would anybody have an objection to that?
Check out my poet tree!

Dashenka

Could also be two couples but since I'm the only female player and we got five people interested, that would be hard and from experiences I've learned that when the characters are completely unrelated, it gets tricky to get them together.

So a group of friends on a hiking trip does sound fun and logical. If anybody is interested and everybody else is okay with it, I don't mind playing some one's girlfriend?

Chreestafer

Dash is right we need more female players ;)

But while we wait. *points to Dashenka like the fonz* "how you doin' " ;)
Ons and Offs
F-List

Dashenka

We don't need more females perse. Four guys and a girl as a group of friends hiking is good enough I guess. Makes it easier. I prefer this number. Not more but that's not up to me :)

I'm good btw :D Got a new car recently... still in love with it and driving it around for no other reason than to drive it :D

TheHangedOne

I was looking for 4-6, and five happens to be right smack dab in the middle, so that does work.  :-)

Okay. A group of friends--maybe college age?-- went for, say, a weekend of camping, and hiking, and such.  I'll let all the players hammer out exact details for why they went, their exact relationship with the others, etc.

Skills and everything are up now, so everybody should feel free to work on characters.  :-)
Check out my poet tree!

Lurking

Hey HangedMan, room for one more at all? A survival-horror game sounds like fun, I'd love to join if there's still room.
On Hiatus

TheHangedOne

If Dashenka doesn't mind, I'd love to have you along for the ride, Lurking. 
Check out my poet tree!

Dashenka

Why would I mind? Let's first see who even gets the sheet up :D