The Valkyrie Company (Pathfinder, Exotic NC, Extreme? CLOSED)

Started by Kord, February 09, 2014, 07:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

Zazy

History: 
   Once upon a time there was a little girl named Zazy.  She lived in the village of Vree, where her father Zarzuket was the master alchemist and her mother Fijit was a beauty loved by all. 
   The king of the goblins sent a great army against Vree, and though the gnomes fought with all their cunning and all their strength the goblins soon had them all in chains. 
   Zarzuket and his family were taken to the castle of the goblin king as slaves.  Zazy and Fijit had to work as scullery maids, but were spared the worst suffering the goblins could inflict so long as Zarzuket used his alchemical skills to arm the goblins with fire and poison. 
   When little Zazy discovered what her father had too do, she whispered, "Defy him, father.  Defy the goblin king.  The black angel will protect mother and I." 
   Her father smiled fondly and asked her, "Why is your angle black?" 
   Zazy giggled, "So the goblins can't see her when the candles are out silly." 
   For many years Zarzuket never did as his daughter asked.  Sometimes, she forgot about her angel, but in her dreams, the dark skinned woman held her while she cried.   
   As Zazy grew closer to womanhood, her father was so fatigued by the thought of the suffering his work caused that his Orange hair faded 'til it was white as snow.  He groused and grumbled 'til Fezle the Overseer dragged his wife and daughter before him to teach him the price of defiance.  He bound Zazy's hands over her head and laid open her back with a whip. 
   Zazy clenched her teeth and made no sound. 
   The vile goblin stroked her back again, and Zazy bit her lower lip 'til it bled. 
   A third time the white hot pain caressed her back and Zazy screamed her mother's name. 
   The gnome girl knew another stroke was coming and pledged before the gods that she would not cry out for her father, would not give the goblins any more power over him.  As the agony scorched across her a very different name ripped form her soul. 
   "Ater Angelus!" 
   Then it was Fezle's turn to scream as the black angel ripped out his right eye with her claws. 
   The angle slashed Zazy and her mother free and fled through a window with a gnome in each arm.  She had no wings, but magic enough to jump the wall. 
   In a free city far from goblin lands, Fijit gained the aid of a friend of her husbands.  Zazy and Aeter Angelus studied together, learning alchemy, magic and the arts of war, pledging to one day cast down the goblin king and free Zarzuket. 
`When the chance came to join the Valkyrie's, Zazy and jumped at it.  She knew that, before she could come to her father's aid, she'd have to grow strong, and have allies just as strong. 

Alignment:   Chaotic Good
Class:   Summoner L 2
Race:      Gnome
Hair:      Calf length amethyst hair. 
Eyes:      Metallic gold. 
Skin: 
Height:   3'3"
Weight:   36lbs
Style:   Black waist scarf with many pouches.  A loincloth skirt tucked through it and matching halter that ties behind her neck and back.  Matching calf high boots. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Roxy Rocket

Did Kord say summoners were out or...

*squints*

Ahh, synthesis summoners are out.

Here's a crazy thought, maybe we should split thnigs by assignment theme? Like a group that's exploring ruins to learn more about the rune lord of boning (traps, non-humanoid things) and then a group that's doing a "roam the land and help subdue cults and tribes of monstrous humanoids" (werewolves and weretigers and wereteddy bears oh my.)

Aaaand I'm out of mouth things to do again.

Lockepick

Still working on finding a picture -- but here is the general idea!

Tiana Kosen
Human Witch 2
Fox - Deception

Description:
Tiana is a young girl just under twenty years old. Straight red hair hangs down to the nape of her neck, the tips of her hair dyed a stark white. Bright green eyes stand out against otherwise pale skin. She is usually found in a dark hooded half-jacket; long sleeves cling to her slender arms, the material open at her chest enough to give a glimpse at the creamy skin of her curves. The jacket is cut at the bottom, exposing her mid drift. Red fur lines the neck of the jacket, forming a corona around her neck. The hood in the back is over sized and equally lined with red fur, and occasionally, with a small fox curled up in the hood. A drape of similarly dark, loose fabric wraps around her waist. Slits on the side expose the side of her thighs, the only part of her legs not covered by the heeled thigh high boots she's wearing. At the small of her back is a large knot made of a thick cord material, the two end pieces hanging down behind her are tapered like tails.

Back Story:
tl;dr: Girl from gifted family finds traditional schooling not up her alley. Her Patron/Familiar Fox translates it and helps her harness her own power in her own way.

The Kosen family have always been prominent wizards and nobles. Selective breeding has given then a natural knack for the arcane arts, and a rigorous academic program has made sure their potential is nurtured. Tiana was no different, the young girl was schooled at home among other students that were all cousins. Even the teachers were older relatives, or people brought into the fold in such a way that they mind as well have been family. Tiana may have had a gift for magic, but she didn't have the patience for traditional lectures and tests.

Still, even the strict academic regimen of another Kosen hopefully allowed some time for the children to exercise. In this schoolyard, Tiana's poor grades was something to ridicule and mock, if only to feel better about their own exercises. As such, Tiana spent her recess time off on her own, playing in the nearby fields and gardens. At age ten, that is where she met Fox. At first he was just a playful creature, and the pair frolicked and played. Tiana would talk to Fox, and even though the creature showed no semblance of intelligence in understanding her, it seemed to have empathy for her woes. Tiana would speak to Fox of her troubles in school, and the lessons would make more sense. She couldn't put them into words that her professors preferred, but her skill was going undeniable.
Tiana grew up, but Fox was always there in the garden when Tiana needed her. Tiana gave him silks and cloth to fill his den to keep him comfortable and warm, while keeping him out of sight of the rest of the people in the manor. Her commune with Fox changed the very way she understood magic as she grew up. Her teachers wanted her to learn formula and equations, where she worked more on instinct and understand of the ephemera of magic. Her grades were poor, even though they served no purpose except to give her family reason to ridicule her.

At age 18, the ridicule and lack of support from her family was enough to drive her off. She left her home with nothing except the clothes on her back and Fox -- understanding now he was her familiar and patron -- that he helped her grow into her gift more than her family would have ever been able. She traveled the world with just Fox for a while, selling her magic and skills wherever she could. She met up with Valkyrie company, and found the group to be an empowering, and fitting match.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Kord

Hey guys, all the applications are looking great, there has been a lot of people that have applied and I like all of them. This is definitely going to be a hard decision. That being said I will leave applications open for one more day. Anyone who does not end up making the initial cut will be put on a waiting list or will be informed otherwise :)
My roleplaying on's and off's: https://www.f-list.net/c/kordbluemoon

GypsyBook

I wish I saw this sooner. You've got a lot of interest and I am among those people. I'll get an application up asap and if I don't make it in time or don't get picked I'll just plot stuff while on the waiting list.  >:) :P

[EDIT]
Hope you like her.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Alignment:   Neutral Good
Class: Fighter 2
Race: Changeling
Hair: Black
Eyes:  Red
Skin: White
Height: 4' 10"
Weight: 95 lbs

Mali was the only child of a farming couple, Helry and Jane. They raised her late in their lives previously having no luck with children. When her mother would become pregnant the children would never last full term. They preyed to the gods for years and eventually decades hoping for a blessing. One day they awoke to the sound of a crying baby finding the tiny Mali awake and hungry next to their fireplace. Mali grew up much loved by her parents, but disliked by the townsfolk. They did not trust her origin and thought it scandalous for Helry and Jane to raise her. Many rumors flew of Helry being unfaithful.

Not long after the age of 16 her parents both passed suddenly in their sleep. She tried to live on the farm at first, but townsfolk made her life impossible. No one would buy her goods and no one would sell her any either. A Valkyrie recruiter passed through town one day singing the glories of service in their proud company. Moved by the woman's words she left the farm and set out to join the mercenaries. She hopes to one day gain enough glory that no one would doubt her and she can retired to her parents farm.

Joining the Valkyries she trained hard under their guidance and showed a natural talent for melee weapons.

She doesn't know she is a Changeling and if she did she might have doubts about her parents' sudden deaths. She has yet to experience the "Calling" that eventually strikes all Changelings.

Tydorei

posting interest, even though its to late most likely.

Kord

Not too late yet Tydorei, I am still allowing for another 12 or so hours before I close the applications :)

Kord

I sure did :-) I thought I replied to it already (sorry was probably really tired when I looked at it) I will send you through a message now.

Kimmy

Just a second idea - because sometimes simple ideas are the most fun. ^_^

Inessa the Hopeless...

Name: Inessa
Race: Human? Elven? Any race which could support a rather isolated community.
Class: Just about any could work - but the idea of a religious class that has her following a rather strict or common god/goddess because it's what's expected of her works well. Perhaps later she might find a new god/goddess/demon/? that suits her developing personality? Probably tied to love given where this game is going. For now i'll assume Cleric or Paladin.
Alignment: Lawful Good, because that's what everyone told Inessa she should be. Later she's might discover a deeper, free-er self that falls more into the chaotic side? I can certianly see the ideal of love drawing her towards a CG/CN alignment. Love conquers all - afterall.
Concept: Inessa is a pure soul. She was raised inside a convent - a puritanical society where concepts like sex aren't mentioned & babies are 'blessings' of the gods given to women & families who show themselves worthy. Of course, Inessa is a curious girl - and when she finds herself in the lands beyond her convent, she ought to explore them a little. Thankfully, her pure, blind innocence is rescued by a Valkerie recruiter - who figures if this girl is going to be anywhere, she'd probably be safest inside the Valkerie barracks. They needed cooks & servants right? Surely this hopeless chit can do something - besides stumble into danger with open arms & blind innocent eyes...

Inessa's Hopeless Backstory

Inessa is pure girl. She was raised on scripture, virtue & the writings of her lord & master - The god. Of course, she knew there were other gods. But they can't hold a candle to her god. Inside the convent, Inessa was protected from the world. She never discovered sex. She never knew much about boys - other than sometimes her god might tell people to couple up & marry! Then sometime later they'd be blessed with a baby - Babies were brought down by angels & placed inside women's bellies with beautiful magic!

Of course, Inessa didn't spend all her time in the convent. She sometimes was allowed to visit markets and fairs - where she'd sell her crafts & try to raise money for the convent. She was quite skillful - so she did well in her efforts. But her trips often lead to strange questions that the priests found difficult to explain sometimes. Like the town with women who were blessed with babies when they weren't married. Apparently they worshipped a different god who was jealous & wanted more followers - so he's been blessing lots of his women with babies in their bellies so he might have more followers in the coming age. Apparently the lesser gods suffer from silly emotions like jealousy. And then there the lady with the strange tail. It was so long & slender - with a beautiful heart at it's tip! Inessa's priest told her that it was a sign from the gods that lady had such strong love in her heart! Actually, the priest told Inessa that's why the lady was giving all the people kisses - because her heart was so full of love she just couldn't contain it all! Which was a good thing - because Inessa had been going to ask why the lady with the tail had kissed her too when she brought some clothes from Inessa. She'd said Inessa could ask her for another kiss anytime!

When Inessa came back from one of her trips, she found some of her friends coming out of the convent. They were carrying some of the most sacred relics - which made Inessa quite worried. But they explained that their god had foreseen theives coming for the relics & had been commanded to move them. In fact, they even had a special relic just for Inessa! It was a beautiful platinum necklace. She was to keep it safe & take it to the the big city! There Inessa was to meet them in a place called the Snuggly Duckling - a beautiful tavern where all the good folks could be safe. Inessa was to look for them there - they'd be wearing white feathers in their caps. Inessa believed her friend wholeheartedly, immediately setting off on her journey across the lands. Thankfully she'd made lots of coin at the market & could afford such a journey!

After Inessa left, the thief told their companions they'd been found - but that they'd bribed the girl into keeping quiet & leaving them alone. Since Inessa immediately turned & galloped off into the night, they believed this story. The theif actually felt killing Inessa might be taking things too far - the girl was hopeless but she didn't deserve to die.

Inessa's journey was strange. She could afford to travel - but she found so many strange people as she traveled. Only the urgency of her quest kept her from dallying at each stop to help with all the misfortune she saw! But Inessa did what she could where she could. Leaving a trail of kindness in her wake. Her willingness to offer kindness to even the roughest of folks left many disarmed & even enchanted. Which was good - because somehow, through fate or luck, whenever danger arose Inessa found a knight stood watching her back - be it a thief, thug, drunk or harlot. Though Inessa did find challenges in her journey - she was forced to dine with politicians, lawyers & worst of all, non-believers in the one true god!

When she finally reached the city, Inessa spent three days searching for the Snuggly Duckling. She almost didn't find it! But a young boy eventually told her that the Snuggly Duckling wasn't inside the city - but in the forest beside it! It was a secret tavern known only to the lucky few! Which must be why it was perfect to hide the relic!

Inside, Inessa didn't find her friend. Actually, she didn't recognise anyone at all. Instead there were lots of women with strong bodies. Some were very beautifuls - others quite fearsome. And they were all centered about this one woman with a feathered cap. It wasn't her friend - but Inessa wasn't stupid. She knew her friend must have sent a friend to watch out for her. So she approached the women & tried to offer her the relic. The Valkerie recruiter was quite perplexed - noone as yet had tried to bribe their way into the Valkeries, so she became quite suspcious. Ordering drinks, she asked for Inessa's story.

It was... well, enlightening was one word. Long was another. Painfully simple seems the most apt description though. The recruiter saw through all the holes in the story - and decided that this poor child needed someone to watch over her. It wasn't a brilliant place - but the Valkeries might be the safest place in the mortal realm for a girl this niave. So she quickly played her part - claiming knowledge of her friend and the relic - and gave Inessa a new quest. She was to sing up to the Valkeries. She was to study with them & learn from them. She was particular to mention that Inessa was to learn about all the gods again - because apparently one of the priests at her convent had been a devil in disguise - and he had changed all the texts! Apparently all the gods were equals - and anyone who believed one god held more power than the others would end up in hell - where all the evil devil's lived! Inessa immediately realised the truth behind this - she'd always suspected that Father Soldere had messed up those muffins he'd baked on purpose - so he could avoid traveling to the market to sell them...

Inessa signed up immediately. Her time with the Valkeries was quite a shock! Much of what she'd learned about the other gods had been so wrong! Apparently they really did fight each other a lot! They even had wars sometimes! It was horrible! But Inessa made lots of friends. She met this really amazing woman who looked like a cat - only she was a woman! And she got invited over to have a special kind of bath. Apparently catfolk use their tongues to bathe - but there were one or two spots that are really hard to reach. So Inessa had to help her clean them. And then she'd clean Inessa too. It made Inessa tickle inside! But her friend - the recruiter - always seemed to interrupt them before Inessa got to learn about how to make the special cream. It was meant to be really good for your skin too! Then Inessa got to meet a dryad! She was really fun. She took Inessa to her glade & taught Inessa to dance a special dance. It had to be done under the full moon & you had to take off all yours clothes - or you insulted the spirits! Then they taught Inessa to swim - only she got too cold and decided to go home. The dryads offered to show her a special way to warm up - but Inessa had training at dawn & didn't want to be tired for it.

Inessa also had a roommate. She was quite strange too! She told Inessa about lots of secret things. She even promised to show Inessa how you cast the spell to make a baby. Apparently the people in love had to cast it & not the gods themselves! Another lie from her evil devil priest uncovered! Also, it was very difficult - which made sense since making new people was originally something the gods did. You have to practice the first step often infact! Which involved a special kind of kiss. You had to make a long, slow kiss whilst moving your tongue like a snake. You have to do this special kind of twist. Apparently the twist is like forming a rune. And when she showed Inessa - Inessa could feel the magic jump & tickle inside her! Apparently Inessa was very good at that part too! But Inessa's roommate got her first quest the next day - before she could teach Inessa the rest of the spell! Inessa was so disappointed...

But then Inessa got her own quest! And she was so excited again! She went down to a fortune teller in the big barracks & asked about her future! Inessa was told her something very special - "Your true love has a face of a monster - a beautiful but inhuman face! You will not know them - until you have shared a special kind of kiss with them. But- it will not be the one you might expect. So do not waste your chances! Always be courteous to a wolf! Never disobey the fey! Listen to your dreams!" Inessa hadn't asked about love - but she was so excited by it she couldn't sit still! Now she knew how to find her true love! And it was so easy! Inessa was also mindful for the rest of the fortune as well. It must be important!

Thankfully, someone had paid the fortune teller in 'extra magical' herbs that night. So her readings had been ... well... stranger than usual. Thankfully Inessa's "fate" wouldn't be too difficult. I mean, how many non-human races could there actually be?
Posting rate: Moderate       Currently Chasing: Playful, Romance & Something Rough.
A&A           RL Issues: Some Insomnia.
Offsite RP's: 2 online + 1 RL. Currently Craving: Romance and just a touch of something darker...

Autocad

Lyshaelyn Shoritor, Elven (future) Arcane Archer

Character Concept
Lyshaelyn is an elf skilled in both the ways of bow and magic. Able to pincushion foes directly or control the flow of battle with the arcane arts, she is a flexible (in more ways than one) asset to any team. Her long term goal is to improve her skills and be able to wield arrows and spell in perfect harmony, earning the title of Arcane Archer. Off the field, she is a cool soul, a little bit of a loner, who however is trying to change herself and be more friendly and sociable, sometimes awkwardly so. Like many of her kind she favors personal freedom and harbors a mild disdain for too much Law. She tries to do good whenever she can and cannot abide injustice, which she tries to correct, let alone evil, which she always seeks to destroy, to the point of unhealthy fanaticism that is a far cry from her usual quiet, cool demeanor.
(CG Elven Fighter 1 Wizard 1)

Character Background (A few paragraphs on your character background, make sure to include how and why you joined the Valkyrie Company.
Lyshaelyn was born the only child to an elven couple of minor reown. Her father was an archer and her mother a magician, and the two were relatively successful adventurers in their own right before they had a baby and settled down. When Lyshaelyn was ten, young by elven and even human standards, yet still old enough to remember her parents, their home was raided by an orc warband out for plunder and loot. Her parents sacrificed themselves holding off the bloodthirsty brutes so that the young elf could escape to safety. Orphaned at such a tender age, Lyshaelyn grew up - in mind if not in body - much more quickly than she would otherwise have. She resolved to avenge her parents, not by merely killing the orcs, but by destroying all evil no matter what form it might take.

An elf's lifespan was long if properly protected and cared for, and Lyshaelyn could bide her time and serve up revenge when it was best served - when it was cold as ice. As there was no need to throw away her own life rushing off to face her foes unprepared, Lyshaelyn spent her growing years learning, training and practicing under mentors who probably only took her under their wing because they pitied her. Still, she learned, if not quite mastered, the art of the sword, the bow, and the arcane. She decided in honor of her parents' memory to focus her efforts on archery and magic. With all her energy spent in this way, she had no time to make any friends her age.

However, the recklessness and impatience of youth eventually caught up with her after a single century, and believing herself to be sufficiently skilled she set out to track down the orc warband that had killed her parents so many years ago. It didn't matter that probably none of the original orcs were still alive, having died of old age in the rare event that they didn't meet a violent end first. The orcs had to die, so that they could never again inflict the pain she went through upon anybody else, and for her own closure. The battle was long and drawn out, a lone elf engaged in hit-and-run tactics against a veritable horde of orcs, chipping away at their numbers incessantly and never confronting them directly. No one could be perfect, however, and after many weeks she finally made a mistake and fell for a trap set up by the enraged orcs. Terribly outnumbered, she just barely managed to evade death and capture, escaping with her life by the slimmest of margins.

It was a hard lesson but Lyshaelyn soon realized that it could have cost her much more. She accepted her need for further improvement and real-world experience - not merely training under indifferent mentors - before she could take on the evils of the world, and finally understood that having some friends to watch her back would also go a long way. When the Valkyries started recruiting, she signed up right away. For the first time since her parents' death she found camaraderie and friendship, sisters-in-arms who she could open herself up to. She decided to make sure she would come out on top before challenging the orc warband again, no matter how long it took. And she would take several decades, maybe another century, to hone her skills and gather allies before starting her crusade against evil in general. After all, neither of them were going away anytime soon.

Roxy Rocket

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Whatever happened to androgynous elves?

(Not complaining. Just having blinky-realizations.)

Ershin

Aww man, I wish I'd seen this thread a couple of days ago... I wonder if there's still enough time to see if I can rush out an application.

Kimmy

Quote from: Ershin on February 11, 2014, 01:29:23 PM
Aww man, I wish I'd seen this thread a couple of days ago... I wonder if there's still enough time to see if I can rush out an application.

Kord put a time for applications to close in a few more hours - about 2 1/2 hours from now. Although there are over twice the applications, Kord only asked for a few paragraphs so the idea can be worked up later. You've penalty of time for a quick idea to take shape!

I'd wish you luck - but I'm feeling evil so it would probably be bad luck.
Posting rate: Moderate       Currently Chasing: Playful, Romance & Something Rough.
A&A           RL Issues: Some Insomnia.
Offsite RP's: 2 online + 1 RL. Currently Craving: Romance and just a touch of something darker...

GypsyBook

Quote from: Ershin on February 11, 2014, 01:29:23 PM
Previously Kord has been saying that people can, but you might get put right on the waiting list.
Kord wants 4-5 people and anyone who doesn't make the first cut is put on a waiting list since he might add more later on.

Miroque

yeah, do any of you know wich timezone Kord is? as when the game kicks on, it would show approx times when there might be an updates...

And good luck to everyone, hope we meet IC soon.

Roxy Rocket

I think Kord is in australia or new zealand.

And yuh, might as well stick in a concept. Might end up being a co-dm and a second group, after all.

Kord

Correct you are Roxy, I am an Australian :) had a late night last night so I am going to have coffee, eat breakfast then in a few (3 or so) hours I am going to close applications and make my decision. It is going to be hard to decide, there are so many good applications!

Miroque

Australian, so that meens we´r 12h apart? (Im from Finland, GMT+2)

Kord

Yeah 12 hours, give or take 1 hour depending on day light savings. I will usually be posting anywhere from 10am-11pm it varies a lot.

Miroque

Kord

Alright everyone, the initial applications are now closed. I will have the party chosen soon.

I am still accepting people applying to be backups and/or willing to co-dm.

Ershin

Quote from: kimmy on February 11, 2014, 01:42:15 PMYou've penalty of time for a quick idea to take shape!

Guess I didn't. >_>

Oh well, good luck to all who managed to make the deadline!

Miroque

Is there an game forum done? and where do we place our Character Apps?