News:

Main Menu

Anime

Started by Null, December 15, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DominantPoet

Last season I quite enjoyed Dimension W, Phantom World, Bubuki Buranki, and Saijaku Mahui no Bahamut.

This season, my favorites by far are Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (I'm actually curious if this will become as big a hit worldwide as Attack on Titan), Bungou Stray Dogs, Hundred, Kiznaiver (go Boom Boom Satellites!!), and Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta.

Feels nice being more involved and up to date on current anime after being rather blase about it for a few years previously (though I did watch series from time to time, it was usually far after they had aired).

NicciKotor

The best thing about KonoSuba was in the end where Aqua actually started being useful but only when he was forcing her into it.
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

ADoggett

I've been watching Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin as of late, which has really inspired me to try to get a RP going around that... :D

Other than that, I have been watching a lot of very old 80's OVA films that hardly got any coverage in the United States or even Japan, such as Greed, which was done by the same guy who did Ideon and Aura Battler Dunbine (I'm old as you can tell- or at least like old things!)

Excelsior

If you like Gundam, I just watched the Gundam Thunderbolt OVA and it was great. I am also digging Gundam Iron-Blood Orphans , though only 3/4ths of the way through. Took a little bit to get into but like the character development.

Just finished binge watching Erased... one of the first animes in awhile that made me marathon and enjoyed every moment of it.

Yukina

Nice to see another Gundam fan :)

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Excelsior on May 16, 2016, 08:39:49 PM
If you like Gundam, I just watched the Gundam Thunderbolt OVA and it was great. I am also digging Gundam Iron-Blood Orphans , though only 3/4ths of the way through. Took a little bit to get into but like the character development.

Mika is a total pimp...

Lately I finished up Blue Exocist and am bouncing between Turn A and Hunter x Hunter.

Ergo Proxy

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on May 17, 2016, 12:56:33 PM
Lately I finished up Blue Exocist and am bouncing between Turn A and Hunter x Hunter.

Hunter X Hunter is so cool. My favorite character being Hisoka. :-X

My favorite anime genre being Slice of Life, I'm thoroughly enjoying Flying Witch and Tanaka-kun is Always Listless this season on crunchyroll.

Sasquatch421

Hisoka is a neat character, but I'm more partial to Kurapika at the moment... If I spelled his name right? My sister finally got me to watch Fate/Zero so I bulldozed through that and into Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works.

Csharynn

I'm on season 2 of Knights of Sidonia, I don't know I just stopped. I thought about watching this one anime on Netflix called Anjin but I just haven't pulled myself to do it. What I really wish they had done was do, whether dubbed or subtitle, the last arc of Rurouni Kenshin. I binged watched that two months ago not realizing the third season consisted of fillers. I'm reading the manga to fill the void.

Excelsior

First season of Knights of Sidonia is good. Second season I enjoyed but not as much. The animation cgi style is hard to get used to sometimes, and Anjin I couldn't fall in love with the story enough to try to endure the animation.

For Hunter X Hunter, it's one of the few animes I enjoy from that genre. Didn't get too far but farther than most attempts.

NicciKotor

Konosuba is more funny.

NicciKotor

It's one of the 3-5 animes that I can recall that actually made me laugh out loud.

Kuma Miko is also another anime that made me laugh so hard I was crying for a while. Great anime that is.

Lustful Bride

So apparently Full Metal Alchemist is getting a Live Action Movie.

And it will somehow cram the entire story of the series into just one ( 1 ) movie.

Be afraid :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVw6aKdE_rU

Yukina

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 29, 2016, 10:06:36 PM

And it will somehow cram the entire story of the series into just one ( 1 ) movie.

"Cringe-r is coming!"

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 29, 2016, 10:06:36 PM

They did it with Devilman... Now if people say G-Saviour was better, then I might get worried.

Edit: Probably easier to just add in... I finished Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works and am now watching Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo as well as wanting to base a RP char on Shirou Emiya.

Revelation

Quote from: Skynet on May 28, 2016, 04:38:19 PM
I'm debating between watching Konosuba or Attack Beyond Titan. As for why not both...I tend to be a "one show at a time" type of guy.

Help me pick?

For what its worth I think Attack on titan was a little on the overrated side.

Drake Valentine

Berserk (2016) (Warning Rant/Minor Spoilers)

Honestly, when I first saw it and read info, it said they would be touching base more on Black Swordsman, so I did figure it would of been a complete reboot. Guess I was wrong there, instead I found myself with a mockery of expectations to a once, otherwise good series.

Let me be blunt, this anime is garbage.

They skipped arcs, two and a half to be exact (from Black Swordsman to Conviction.) I am sure most watchers could grasp some of the things that happened, but that is forcing them to watch either the older anime and the OVAs to Golden Age. Those still do not replace Puck who was omitted in the original anime along with other things that happened within the mangas. Not to mention, a good chunk of Conviction Arc was skipped, that was where we learned about the Apostles and got a bit more background info involving the religious fanatics. They gaped an important area of story, either forcing fans to revert to reading the manga to catch up or leaving those that don't pay attention or don't bother with mangas in a 'what the hell is going on state.' Any newcommers to this anime will be lost, unless they watched the old series and even they will still be lost as again they skipped s***. Guts never met the Holy Knights after fighting skeletons in the forest, he was wounded and tired from a fight from the s*** that went on during the Conviction Arc with what's her face(been awhile since read manga.)

But this is not the only bad qualities, the graphics, my god. I tried to give the 3D-ish rendering style a try, tried to get pass the butchering of story in last couple of episodes(now seems to be on right path if you are diehard Berserk fan, maybe we will get R Horse scene with Farnerse(sp,) but I doubt it,) but it is not much saving grace for this anime. This is not the Berserk I grew up on. I might of been a bit more forgiving if it was a complete remake, if it didn't pointlessly censorship nudity, or if it didn't botch episodes by twisting events and flushing over twenty-six years of written and drawn material down the toilet.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Drake Valentine

Danganronpa 3 Rant

Okay, seriously, I guess skipping arcs in anime is a whole new trend these days. Except for this case, the creators decided to omit a whole middle story that would had bridge Danganronpa together with three. The only way watchers would really know what is going on is if they played the Visual Novel of Danganronpa 2. Again, this is poor development in my opinion, not everyone plays Visual Novels; especially in Western countries as I do believe Danganronpa anime at some point did get shipped over.

I am mostly referencing Future Arc, the other arc doesn't count that they will be showing either; Despair. Despair is a prequel to Trigger Happy(Danganronpa 2) and viewers still won't get a solid grasp of what the hell is going on for Future Arc(cause the second anime adaption was totally omitted.)

This is a damn shame, one of the few animes I was looking forward to of the season, butchered like this. I enjoyed the first Murder Classroom, but now can't even bring myself to watch the new ones. I may give Despair a hopeful try, but unless they actually make a Danganronpa 2 anime, then I have no intentions of attempting to watching Future Arc again.

And if you are sort to think 'well, not that bad.' How would feel if your series you followed got a drastic skip to not fill in gaps? Say for instance a whole story arc, or multiple story arcs in former Berserk 2016 reference. Where the only way to keep up with events is to result to something off anime(manga, visual novels, games, etc?) Out of the three, the first two are easy to come by; games are more tricky, especially finding proper translations, even to some Visual Novels. Translated manga is often the easiest of sources to get a hold to, but I digress, I am not fond of reading 'comics,' less something that properly catches my eye that has been axe as a series.

Right now I don't know what is worse in production. Anime series getting shortened/discontinued or anime series skipping arcs. 

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

TotesRider

Watched the first episode of Mob Psycho 100. A little early to stay but I think this could be pretty addicting for me... and I need something other than JoJo to watch on Crunchyroll.
Also whoever made the opening was on some good ass shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgSUPgvDu78

Haruki

Been having connection issues the last couple months, so my time on here has been very limited, been catching up on my RPG and anime backlogs.

As such, I took this last Sunday afternoon and watched Summer Wars.  I watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Wolf Children before it some time back, but for some reason held off on this one until now.  I'm reminded again of why I would dare consider Mamoru Hosoda to be "this generation's Hayao Miyazaiki".  The story themes and settings are different between the two directors, but there's good storytelling in his movies thus far.  I've yet to buy and watch The Boy & The Beast yet, but I also hear it's good.

Hopefully people who aren't necessarily into anime as much as some of us in this thread, are still able to enjoy these films.  I sure as heck am.  They're fantasy without being too high in the clouds while staying grounded with a sense of realism, and seeing as his movies seem to deal a lot with family as a theme, I wouldn't expect less.
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

Drake Valentine

I highly recommend Thunderbolt Fantasy for multi reasons.

I. It is mixture of live puppet action and CGI graphics. This is simply amazing, even the fight scenes and other scenes, some of it may be bit 'eh,' but overall, the performance is mind blowing for 24 or so min films. Plus, there are exploding puppets. >.>
II. Great story base in ancient China mythology.
III. A good balance of action and conversation. Fight scenes are entertaining through later episodes(especially near end of fourth episode.)

Only semi-con is lips don't move; but then again, how can they? They are puppets, you don't even see the strings when they use them and I am assuming they are probably action figure size standard puppets too, though with close ups and whatnot is hard to tell as well and the detail they put into the designs, my god.

Great anime, guess it could still be label as 'anime,' not sure what to really label it. Personally, one of the best so far in this season lineup; that and Re:Zero is hard to really choose from.

Lustful Bride

Started watching Gantz:0 on Netflix. I sort of had a love/hate thing going on with the Manga, didn't much like the anime.

But...im enjoying it so far. CGI is good so far and the Voice acting isn't bad.

Haruki

Not sure who's given up on their anime-viewing habits yet, but I haven't.  I just recently put myself back into the thick of my 21+ year old hobby after a long hiatus during the spring/summer/early autumn of this year.

Once I got some catalog (legacy) titles on DVD / Blu Ray (I always do a big anime splurge during the holiday season when sales are going on) and also got my Roku player set up (which I received for Christmas last year),  signing up to both Netflix and FUNimationNow, I dove right in and ....well, let's just say I took in a bunch of stuff.  Pardon the post length.

Added to my collection/'watched' list:

Catalog Titles:

• Bamboo Blade
Fun little show.  Usually not a sports anime fanatic, but I found this to be a nice escape.  A young man who's down on his luck and can't pay the bills makes a bet with an old friend: Turn around a failing all-girl kendo team into a winning team.  It's not as easy as it sounds.  Once he assembles a group of colorful characters, 5 girls in all, hilarity begins to ensue.  It's actually not a harem or pervert-type comedy at all, instead bearing an 'Azumanga Daioh' feel.
  • Kaleido Star - Both Seasons and OAVs
I don't know why I held off on this for so long.  While perhaps a bit plain in terms of its plot (girl from Japan comes to America to join and excel with the Kaleido Stage troupe; think 'Cirque du Soleil'), it was a fun romp for me none-the-less.
  • Ragnarok: The Animation
A rather pedestrian fantasy/RPG-themed comedy IMHO.  Not the best thing I've watched, but by no means a dud.  Shows like The Slayers did the medieval-fantasy/comedy theme with far better execution IMHO.
  • Le Chevalier D'Eon
A title I've wanted for some years, but passed due to other things I was buying back in 2007-2008.  That and I am heavily now into fictional takes on real-world historical periods (see my bits on Kingdom up-thread, D'eon takes place around/shortly after the French Revolution)  I've yet to tackle this one but look forward to it.
  • Tower of Druaga
Another of those 'fantasy game'-based shows, but this one's based on one of those 'dungeon crawler/roguelike' RPGs.  Another I have yet to dive into seriously.
  • Dragon Ball
I've long had the DVD set of the old 1995-96 dubbed version.  Licensed by Trimark/Lionsgate for the longest time until 2008 or so (FUNimation finally reclaimed rights to the entire series outright, redubbing the first 13 eps), I always wanted to see this beyond ep 13 and in its uncut glory.  I now have all 5 seasons (150+ episodes) and the 3 movies in my collection.
  • Kamisama Kiss - Season 2
Just a continuation of the first season that I already commented on earlier in the thread.
  • Magic Knight Rayearth
Had this one for a good 12 years, just updated it to BluRay.  It's gorgeous now, to say the least.
  • Vision of Escaflowne
Also had this one for a long time and wanted it to look better with my audio/video setup.  Like Rayearth, the remaster work is superb.  The new dub took a bit of getting used to (in spots, the original English (Canadian) VAs for Hitomi and Vaan were better to my ears)...but at least they included the original 2000-2001 one in there for nostalgiaists.
  • The Boy & The Beast
Still have to watch this, but I like to keep up with Mamoru Hosoda's work.  I enjoyed what I have of his so far. (Girl Who Leapt Through Time / Summer Wars / Wolf Children)

And thanks to having a Roku capable of tapping me into streaming sites my TV refuses to have in its streaming channel list (namely Crunchyroll and FUNimation Now) I have really gotten myself into quite a few things this past year:

• Yuri on ICE!!!
I reiterate that I'm no sports anime junkie; still am not, but for me, this one's characterization and fairly realistic portrayal of romance won me over! (Yes, I am a straight guy, but so many romances, especially hetero kinds in anime, seem forced and rushed unrealistically, which puts me off.  Wish they could do straight romances with more realism.)
  • The Heroic Legend of Arslan
More fictionalized historical period stuff.  This one's a bit to digest so I'm still catching up.  I like what I've seen so far.
  • The Seven Deadly Sins
This seems to be a  favorite of some, but I don't know.  I dropped it after several episodes and still trying to figure out why?  And I usually eat up fantasy-themed stories.
  • Attack on Titan
Yeah, I waited for some of the initial hype back in 2013 to simmer down, but I finally bit on this one.  Those first couple episodes were disturbing to say the least, but I kept with it and rather enjoyed it.  I'm still not too big a fanatic of 'hopeless dystopian world' themes, but like YoI, the character development kept me in.  Do NOT spoil S2 for me...I've still to watch it, but need to rewatch the first season for a mental refresh.
  • ReLIFE
Ugh, more of the typical over-done Japanese HS slice-of-life stuff.  I suppose this is what draws people over there, but I dropped this like a lead rock into the Pacific after 2 episodes.  Moving along.....
  • HAL
Short but nice, if poignant feature.  It had this plot twist at the film's climax that made me have to go back and re-watch again (and then a 3rd time with the English dub commentary track on after buying it on disc) to finally 'get it'.
  • Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Another I have to revisit, because I was either not in the right frame of mind (can happen to me sometimes after a 'night out', or I just wasn't feeling its brand of dry humor.
  • Snow White w/ The Red Hair
It's been -ages- since I've seen a halfway decent hetero romance story that was portrayed with some hint of realism in anime in a fantasy setting that fits my preferences.  Then I found this show.  Nice to see this sort of thing, shoujo / romance anime in general, starting to make some bit of a comeback after a too-long hiatus in the 2000s/early '10s.  This one will be in my collection eventually.
  • Gamers
Dropped after a couple of episodes.  Japan sure must love their HS slice of life drama/romance stuff.  I guess 38-year-old me is just tired of the same themes/settings for slice-of-life stories.  If I were 18, I may have enjoyed stuff like this.  it's too bad, because you don't see the 'gamer lifestyle' trope explored too much.
Maybe I need to try that recent MMO Junkie or whatever it's called.
  • Overlord
AFAIK, this is getting a 2nd cour.  I've just started the first (only 2 eps in), but it seems alright so far.
  • The Ancient Magus' Bride
Beauty and the Beast, anime style?  It's more interesting though at least to me.

Then there's this Fall season's controversial one....
  • Black Clover
I started following it shortly after it started its run.  As I prefer English dubbed, I have a 2 week delay from the newest simulcast episode.  But either way, the fantasy setting and 'battles using magic/swordplay' caught me first, but oh those first two episodes..... Naruto deja-vu.  I heard it's starting to improve, but I have to catch up.  Life keeps me busy.

Finally there's a few I want to poke into but I don't know.  One's almost wrapped up, but it's very long, and two others I'm on the fence with.

• Fairy Tail
With 'Black Clover' going, I'm not sure. That show has the 'magic-based battles' thing already.  This one should be done if it's not already, but man, nearly 500+ eps and 2 movies....the ep count probably means filler.  -groan-  I'm feeling this is one of those 'had to been there/ followed it as it ran' shows.  TL:DR - this ship has sailed.

• Garo

• Touken Ranbu

So much anime, so little time.
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)