DND 3.5 all Wizard Game

Started by Cerebellum von Doom, May 01, 2011, 02:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frelance

I am all for a clock work setting.
Evolution is an arms race

TheGlyphstone

Duel to the death with chainsaws at fifty paces?

Aside from that, let's give the people who originally called 'dibs' on a particular school a couple days to respond and confirm their interest, else open it up to the latecomers.

PhantomPistoleer

And then there are people like me, who evidently posted but didn't call dibs.

::sigh::

Maybe I could be a different kind of wizard.  Like the Shadow dude from Tome of Magic.  ::Queue Glyph telling me that that class sucks::
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

TheGlyphstone

There's worse than the Shadowcaster...it's playable, just not very good.

Now, suggest playing a Truenamer and I'll slap you. ;D

SomeGuy

Truenamers are so broken... and not like, Wizard or spell to power Erudite broken but like a car with one set of wheels put on the roof broken.

I for one don't object to other types of casters joining the group but it does come down to how big a group people are comfortable with.

Cerebellum von Doom

Alright, reitterating on the people who have called dibs on slots:  The only person who I know for sure is a confirmed player that I'm unwilling to bend on is my friend who is playing the necromancer.  You guys all know just how long it takes for the app process here on E.  Other than that, I say we give the people who have 'dibs' but have not posted in since Chronoclasm came along have 3-5 days to post they're still here and interested.  What say you people waiting?  Is that acceptable?

TheGlyphstone

Point buy is the fairest, though honestly I'd find it amusing if you just gave us one 16 or 18 (for our Intelligence, the only stat that matters mechanically) and let us roll the other five to see what comes up (for RP hilarity).

ExisD

Glyph's idea is nice and I'm also a fan of point buy. Sorry about being so quiet, but I've been studying for finals the past few days and haven't had much time to post. I do like the ideas Chrono posted especially clockwork.

As for undead, you could always made a summon undead type spell that uses corpses as a material component. It would be lower level since they would decay eventually unlike Create Undead.

TheGlyphstone

Well, there's always the Summon Undead X line from Spell Compendium (it's a great book for all casters, seriously) - exactly like Summon Monster, only it calls specific (and rather pathetic) undead - gradually building up from kobold zombies to ghouls and shadows.

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, summon undead is wonderful for necromancer in lower levels. Fits for theme.

Anyways in my games we use presently ruling that one stat; 18 is put, and then you roll 3d6 (choose stat before rolling). Then roll 12+d6 (choose stat before rolling). Then last 3 stats are rolled with 6+2d6, you can roll and then decide which stat it goes but you must place the rolled stat before rolling next one. But I agree that 18 (which matters only in this game) Int should be must and rest stats rolled.

TheGlyphstone

Eh, that sounds kinda complicated. I'd be fine with a 16/18 Int and 4d6 drop lowest for the rest, in order or otherwise.

Miroque

Still intrested for the Enchanteress spot.

Frelance

I am still interested in the Conjurer player.
Evolution is an arms race

TheGlyphstone

To make it official, I still do want to play the Diviner.

SomeGuy

Officially expressing my interest in abjurer, if the abujurant champion questions weren't clear enough.

ExisD

Official interest in transmuting presented.

Cerebellum von Doom

Official Illusionist interest and speaking for the Necromancer.

TheGlyphstone

Taht just leaves the Evoker - and looking through the thread, I can't figure out who claimed it originally...

PhantomPistoleer

Ryven claimed the Evoker, I thought.

I'm also interested in the Evoker.

But on second thought, I think I will withdraw interest from this game.  :)
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Zaer Darkwail

Mretz appears fun place :). Also interesting world picture so far. Anycase if person who originally called dibs for Evoker does not show up, then I could take evoker role if no one minds :).

Anycase question; you (or someone) said max 5 books are used. So I presume it's the core books (3), Complete Arcana and Complete Mage for all mage/arcane stuff for wizards. But how about Spell Compendium for spells as sixth book? Beyond that only other book which could be used would be MIC (Magic Item Compendium) for wizard related magic trinkets (healing belt would be kinda a must for everyone for healing).

Also thread vote leans towards 5th level but in end GM decides do we play from 3th or 5th level. Either one is fine for me. As 2th level evoker spell a Scorching Ray I have access to (and burning hands kinda counts as iconic spell as does magic missile).

TheGlyphstone

Sounds great.

Though if there's a 5-book cap, I don't see why any of us would need the Monster Manual unless we're playing some weird subrace, so that frees up a slot for Spell Compendium anyways. Though the lack of the MIC is indeed going to hurt, a lot, especially at low levels like this. I'd have to decide between CArcane and MIC in that case.

And for iconic magic...Magic Missile is an iconic spell of the Wizard class in general, thanks to Dead Ale Wives. For all that it's an Evocation spell, I wouldn't call it or Burning Hands signature evoker magics...they just happen to be Evocations like every other spell in the school. You don't have people making bad LARP videos where they throw pebbles and shout BURNING HANDS!, after all.

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, yeah, I would prefer complete mage for just all nice reserve feats and one or two PrC's which are nice for wizards. Complete Arcane has bit less so would sacrifice it for getting MIC.

My suggestion for books would be;
Core (DMG, PHB and MM)
Complete Arcane
Complete Mage
Magic Item Compendium
Spell Compendium (if want more spells what above source books contain and some are updated in SC)

As said, up to GM.

Cerebellum von Doom

I finally had time to read through that intro and it positively gave me chills.  I cannot express how excited I am to have a world builder as a potential DM.  Thank you for your hard work already, and let me know if there are any ways I may be of service.

Ryven

Yes, I'm still interested in evoker.  Has there been discussion of how demanding the time requirements are going to be?  I also have none of those books.  Does anyone have electronic copies?

TheGlyphstone